User Image It was a sweltering hot day in the desert summer, the same as many others. It had been ages since the invasion of the Nergui, water wasn't horribly scarce, and life seemed relatively normal. Roihu was tidying his den, though you'd never think it by the sheer amount of random herbs and materials strewn about. Organized chaos, he called it. The medic always knew where everything he needed could be found. He had seen war and rogues of all kinds, and knew he was better off avoiding duels, instead keeping his kin happy and healthy with regular care. On good days, he remained unbothered and was free to experiment with new methods on the mice his familiar Kiberiti would torment. Still, in these times of peace, he did get a little bit lonesome. A snake can only provide so much company for a massive black lion like himself.

So he sighed wistfully to himself as he mused and toddled about, until a familiar hiss sounded in his ear. "Ah, it ssseemss we have a cussstomer," said the black snake, coiling around Roihu's mane and slithering to the floor. The lion turned his head to watch as his companion wove its way toward the entrance to the den, where he spied the shape of a lioness. Instantly he smelled the familiar scent of blood, and absently checked that the pouch of medicine around his neck was full as he approached to see who had arrived.

Things hadn't gone according to plan on her morning hunt, and now Fiametta was paying the price. Such was the risk of seeking out game, and no matter how experienced she was, sometimes it came down to luck. Today, not only had she failed to bring back game, but she was wearing that failure on her shoulder and side.

Step by painful step, the lioness moved slowly towards Roihu's den. She could only hope the medic was there, and that he might have time to aid her. While she hardly knew him well, she was no stranger to injuries; not every kill happened cleanly, after all. Still, for Fiametta, she had been most lucky as of late, and rarely did the bumps, bruises, and aches of the hunt require her immediate attention. Today, unfortunately, was an exception, and she could only hope the medic she was seeking could give her some relief.

It was rare for the lioness to be in a foul mood, and rarer still for her to be without a smile. Her preliminary irritation had been mostly replaced by pain and, perhaps, sheepishness by the time she caught sight of Roihu. So it was, she attempted a smile, though it was weak and didn't quite light her eyes in her typical fashion. Still, she wasn't about to let pain rue the day -- and with luck, she'd be back on her paws in no time at all. "Medic Roihu," she greeted with a small flick of her tail, "Might I call upon your expertise?" Fiametta had her pride, of course, and did not wish to look too enfeebled -- so as she drew near, she did her best to hold her head tall and walk more firmly upon her aching leg.

If he were busy, she would seek out another medic--but for the sake of her sore shoulder and aching side, she hoped for some relief soon.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Kiberiti circled the lioness, giving her a quick look-over before slithering back to the medic. Roihu emerged from the den, humming absently at the sound of his name. The lioness who greeted him was surprisingly rather small, probably rogue blood. He was generally untrusting of outsiders, but she had the right colors, knew how to carry herself, and knew his name so she had clearly been around for a while - possibly a second generation? He supposed it didn't really matter, his vow to aid the sick and wounded wasn't specific. "You've come to the right place," he smiled. Kiberiti whispered a few quick details in his ear, to which he nodded and indicated the lioness's side. "Your leg? Please, come in. Tell me what happened."

He went back in to the den, indicating her to follow, and he cleared a space for her to settle, getting to work. Right away he could see it was nothing too serious - no broken bones, the swelling wasn't that extreme. Blood loss may be an issue, and potential infection could be the worst of the problem. As he waited for her explanation, he was already beginning to wash the wound for closer inspection.

This would probably just be a routine visit, he assumed. Another quick in and out, instructions for aftercare then back to his lonely life. Times of peace could be so boring. Still he could feel his eagerness for interaction energize his paws in her presence.

Fiametta hadn't expected a snake, and her ears pricked with interest as the scaled creature circled her. She wondered if she'd simply never noted it before now, or if it was a new addition -- was she so unobservant? Not a great quality for a huntress, perhaps, but it did make for an interesting ice breaker. "Forgive me, I wasn't aware there were two medics on duty. Might I ask your assistant's name?" She broke the silence as she made her way into the others den, not wishing to be rude. While she didn't know what titles serpents might carry, the creature seemed to be assisting the medic, so at least deserved the title.

As for what had happened... Settling down before Roihu, Fiametta's ears flattened, but only for a moment. Still, she couldn't help but offer a rueful grin. "An older gemsbok got the better of me, I'm afraid; had a bit more youthful spirit than I anticipated. His horn got me in the shoulder during his thrashing, which is about the time I let go." She was lucky, of course -- the animals could well kill. A few kicks and thrashes might have left her bruised and sore, particularly against her ribs, but she wasn't going to mention any of that. Those sorts of things were secondary and unimportant. What she wanted help with was her leg -- for a huntress who could not hunt was worthless.

"I do appreciate your time though," she spoke to both, serpent and lion, gratitude sincere.

Roihu figured most lions just ignored his familiar. The snake perked up, his little head peeking from within the lion's mane, smiling at the acknowledgment. "I am Roihu, and this is Kiberiti, my assistant. We have been friends for a long time. Sometimes I think he knows my job better than I do!" Roihu winked, lying. He was trying to reassure his new patient, but the snake couldn't honestly tell hornthistle from perigoleaf. "Fortunately, his heat sense helps me find the areas on the body in most dire need." That much was true at least.

The story the lioness told was not unfamiliar, and he nodded knowingly. The shifting sand can be dangerous, and more than a few of the preybeasts out there have harmed hunters. "Well, let's get you patched up so you may keep your own youthful spirit until old age." He deftly made a poultice, binding her leg with reeds. The pressure probably hurt, but the herbs on the wound had a nice numbing effect. "You'll need to rest for a few days before going on another hunt."

Roihu took his time scanning the rest of her injuries. He hadn't much else to do, after all. And it was nice to have some non-snake company. "So what is your name, huntress? It feels like everyone I know is kin, but I don't recognize your markings."

Fiametta was surprised the the little snake was so capable -- but then, she'd never really had a companion or friendship with anything that wasn't a fellow lion or lioness. The fact that Kiberiti was so capable was impressive. "I would have never guessed he was so capable," she mused, though her words were warm and without judgment. Thankfully, Fiametta wasn't concerned who treated her, so long as the medic in question knew their stuff. That the snake could sense so much genuinely surprised her--but then, she'd never really had to give serpent's much thought. "Have you two worked together long?" She asked, curious.

She wasn't trying to delay or distract Roihu from his job -- but focusing on the two of them was better than focusing on the pain of her gored shoulder. Much of her day as a huntress was keeping quiet and staying alert -- though she worked with others in the pride, it wasn't as if they spent their time chit-chatting freely. A little easy conversation was pleasant, and Fiametta enjoyed having the excuse to better get to know the medic. He seemed amicable, which was a relief--while Firekin were a proud lot, pride and strength didn't always have to equate to haughtiness or irritability -- and she'd met more than her share of the latter over the years.

So it was, the lioness listened to Roihu's instruction, watching with interest as he prepared his ingredients and applied them to her leg. She honestly wondered at the knowledge, for she would have never thought to break down plants and use them in such a fashion as healing; whoever had made that discovery deserved much praise. "I'm grateful, truly," she stated with a small laugh, before she winced at the pain. It certainly didn't feel nice to start -- but the numbing sensation was a lovely reprieve when it did kick in. "I could probably use more than a boost to my spirit-- this old maid needs all the help she can get!" She teased, poking fun at herself with a bit of self-deprecating humor. Still, she would do what he instructed, and gave a small curl of her tail. "I'll be sure to take it easy and stay off my paws while I can." It wouldn't be ideal, but she wouldn't fight the medic on that score. He knew best, after all, and her pride wasn't so great that she'd argue.

While Roihu checked over the rest of her for injuries, the red coated lioness remained still. She was no rush, after all. She was tired, she was hot, she was thirsty and though her leg was numbing up nicely, her sides still ached from a well timed kick. She didn't relish dragging herself back to her den--at least not immediately. "Fiametta," she spoke when asked, giving a rueful smile. "And you're correct, if you assume me to be an outsider. I have no connection to anyone here within the pride, at least not by blood. I grew up in the deserts, living off the tales of the illustrious Firekin until I managed to fight my way in. And what of you? Are you surrounded by kin?"

Roihu chuckled, turning to dig in the corner as the lioness more properly introduced herself. It took a few minutes before he returned with a large smooth stone. He set it on the ground in a relatively comfortable-looking spot and said, “Good to meet you then, Fiametta. If you like, you are welcome to lie here for a while. I keep this buried deep in the sand to stay cool, and it may reduce the inflammation on your side for now.” Having done all that he could for her, he settled down himself with a pleased sigh. He saw her lovely red pelt shining through the last of the dried blood and thought she still looked young and strong, not like an old maid at all. It made him realize that he wasn’t that young anymore either. His life was always about work, and the years had flown by. He wondered what her youth had really been like. “The desert will always yield a tough lion, even if you aren’t true Firekin blood. What tales of us did you hear, I wonder? I could probably trace my lineage all the way back to the very beginnings of the pride, when red lions were born from the very sands themselves. Some of your stories are probably about my ancestors. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to assume half the pride is my kin one way or another.” He laughed a little, but his eyes grew wistful for a moment. “Having a big family is great, but they’re hard to get away from. Somehow, it’s a little lonely in its own way.”

Fiametta had no judgment in regards to Roihu's sentiment towards the snake. She watched as the serpent uncoiled itself and came to settle on the floor of the den, allowing herself to properly admire the trim creature. For while the snake might not be of lion blood, it was still part of the pride and aiding a respectable medic. "How good of you," she complimented Roihu, words ever sincere. While some might look upon compassion as weakness, Fiametta knew strength came in all shapes and sizes. While the Firekin were a proud lot, tough, hardy, and capable -- there was more to strength than just ferocity. The pride could not last if they were not united, and such unity could only be achieved through loyalty and care. "We're all the stronger for it," she confessed. Perhaps she was biased, of course, for as an outsider herself; but she found compassion a commendable trait, especially for a medic.

Her ears did p***k slightly as he dug out a slab of stone. Honestly, she thought the concept rather ingenious and was pleased that Roihu was as clever as he was capable. She'd never considered that burrowing a large stone could be useful -- but now, she was grateful. "I would appreciate the rest, even for a moment--and anything to ease the ache in my side. He might have squirmed away this time, but I'll be more prepared should I chance upon him again." She was no fool, after all... but she would learn from this mistake the next time she took to the trail. Moving over to where the stone lie, the lioness eased herself upon it. The coolness of the rock did offer some immediate relief. It at least allowed her to listen to what the dark-coated lion had to say.

"I've heard that some in the pride have lineages that go back generation upon generation, but admit you're the first I've met to say as much. Perhaps it's simply that many in the pride already know who comes from who, but as an outsider, I'm afraid it's difficult to know. At present, I practically assume everyone I speak to that's of the blood is somehow kin... though that can be intimidating in its own right. I suppose loneliness can grip us all in its way--just on the opposite sides of the spectrum. You, surrounded by kin; me, surrounded by strangers. I'd always yearned for a strong pride and a place to belong -- the Firekin do not disappoint in that regard."

Settled more comfortably, Fiametta had not forgotten the medic's earlier question -- and decided it would perhaps lighten the mood. "Speaking, it is what brought me to these lands. Stories of the pride's triumphs must be well known, even to those outside the desert. I have met healthy rogues, fattened off greener lands, suffering beneath the heat of the sun, that cowered at the sight of my approach simply due to my color. I heard stories of great battles, and even greater changes, when it came to the pride. The names Kidondo and No were all be legendary by the time I found myself at the pride's borders. Despite the discourse and bloodshed; despite the battles between Safi and Simo, the Firekin were equally feared as they were respected. I joined just before the great drought, determined to be part of its greatness, to be part of its story." It was, of course, part self-preservation as well... but Fiametta would not admit it. She would not admit part of her draw to the pride was simply its history of greatness; for surely, she would find more security for her life, and any future offspring, in the midst of a powerful pride. It was not just the legends that drew her, though their story was quite infamous.

Roihu listened intently as Fiametta spoke. He, too had grown up hearing these stories. Many were dark stories about pain and vengeance, but that was simply the way of things. They were tales of honor and glory, and he was glad to hear they inspired this lioness to prove herself.

"I myself have never strayed far from the borders of the pride," he shrugged, having had no real reason to leave. Their little oasis was the only livable land in the middle of an ocean of sand and sun. He wondered briefly if he could ever brave the journey to the other side by himself, though it would need to be for good reason. Someone needing help, probably, was the only hypothetical he could think of - but there were lions here who already needed it. Despite stories from war, Roihu couldn't imagine any other prides from distant lands being better than the Firekin.

"But it is good to know you have already established yourself in our history. One day perhaps they will tell tales of your victories as well... so long as you take care of yourself first." Roihu winked, obviously implying her injury. "For your sake, I hope you heal quickly. You can always come to me if it happens again. This has been enlightening, and you make good company." As he smiled, Kiberiti curled closer, comfortably snuggling into his mane.

Fiametta gave a small chuckle at the stranger's tease. "I suppose I would also need to actually *be* victorious as well, though I promise I'm not as poor a huntress as today's episode implies," she grinned ruefully at the medic. While she had her pride, she was not so stuffy as not to be able to poke fun at her folly. There were good das and bad days, and hunting was never a guaranteed success.

"You've done wonders already," she praised, lingering on the cool stone for just a moment longer, before tentatively rising. She would be sore for the next few days, and the injury to her shoulder would likely take longer to full heal -- but she'd be back on the game trail soon enough. If things got worse, well, she'd know exactly whom to seek out.

"I dare say, I hope the next we meet is without an injury or illness in tow. However, should I need a medic's advice, as well as his associate, I'll know exactly where to go." Giving a dip of her head, Fiametta saw no reason to linger, and take up more of the medic's time. He'd likely have other patients, and she didn't wish to get under foot.

Though she was slower, she was at least easier able to walk. With a dip of her head to Roihu and Kiberiti, and one last smile, Fiametta took her leave. "Until next time," she mused as she passed. They were pridemates, after all -- perhaps the next they met, it would be more as equals and less as medic and patient.

-fin-