Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Avid_RPer18
Crew

Loyal Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.There had been word that there were a few noulicorns scrounging around Erli, as they were sometimes wont to do. They hadn't had the trappings of day trippers. It didn't take much observation from a couple of the lookouts to figure out that the scroungers were traders, based in Homewood, though travelled extensively. Nayan had been curious. What sort of things did they have on offer? Collecting a few trinkets from their workshop, they made their way down to see what they could maybe trade for. There had been a bit of a gathering around the three traders, so they waited in the wings until a bit more space before making their way over to chat with the trio. Apparently they had mostly been poking around to acquire goods of interest to sell elsewhere so they didn't have the majority of their stock with them, but they had some things.

After some back and forthing, Nayan exchanged their handmade trinkets for a small wrapped parcel, a crystal. The trader that they had been working with suggested that if they were going to open it, do so someplace safe; that holding the stone would do something specific for dire rats that didn't happen when noulicorns touched them. They were something that could be useful. Of course, Nayan didn't have to be told twice. Their plan was to go right back to their workshop and see why they had been urged caution.

Once back into the familiar security of their private workshop, the set the wrapped stone on the low work surface. Nayan picked open the wrapping carefully. The blue crystal shone in the light that filtered in. What would this little thing do for dire rats that wouldn't affect noulicorns? How would it be useful? Humming thoughtfully, Nayan gingerly picked up the crystal to turn it over in their paws, to see if there was any sign of etching or signs of carving. In spite of their care, the stone suddenly shattered to fine particulate dust. Nayan gasped in alarm! Was it so very delicate? What in the world was this?!

[WC: 350 ]  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 pm
The blue crystal begins to glow. With a crackle, it shatters and a burst of bright light engulfs Nayan.

Choose one of the following prompts for Nayan's dream vision.

Quote:
One of your neighbor's gardens has been having a harder and harder time growing as the seasons pass. Their flowers are wilting early and the vegetables refusing the bloom. They ask you for help.
What do you do?

Quote:
You find yourself deep inside one of the habitation units in the Ruins. There is an awful stench in the air coming from racks of food left here to molder. Rotten or not, these things contain nutrients... but they're also an alien substance from the Others.
What do you do?

Quote:
A group of noulicorns is trying to spread Homewood's greenery further into the barrens, but any seeds they plant quickly wither from heat and lack of water. They come to you for help.
What do you do?

ll Grandfather Tree ll
Vice Captain

Avid_RPer18
Crew

Loyal Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:08 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.There was a flash of light, causing Nayan to stagger back a couple of steps, blinking furiously to try to readjust their vision. There was a moment of disorientation, their stomach roiled. Then, as quickly as it had started, the nausea faded, as did the pinpoints of light from from their vision. The dire rat froze, their warm brown eyes wide. No longer were they in the comforting familiarity of their workshop, or even in the ruins anymore. Swallowing anxiously as they drank in their immediate surroundings, processing. This was a place they had never been to, though they had heard of it, knew of it. The traders whom they had purchased the crystal were from there...here. Homewood.

This wasn't the heart of the forest. This was the outskirts, the space where the desert met the greenery. Or, judging from the smattering of adult nouls in deep, heated discussion, the place where the two were locked in combat. Nayan's presence was noticed by one of the nouls, who promptly clued in their companions. The four serious looking nouls approached where the rat stood. Nayan sat down to free up their front paws. "Ah, afternoon..." They interlaced their fingers as they looked from face to face. "I'm sorry if I've intruded. I'm afraid I'm a bit lost." They sincerely hoped that the upward inflection at the end of their statement wasn't too evident. The crystal took them here? Were they actually in Homewood? Or was this a vision of some sort and they were still physically in their workshop? Everything looked, smelled, and sounded real. The trader hadn't said explicitly what the stone would do.

"You're not intruding, dire rat, in fact we could use another opinion. We've deadlocked and could used a tie breaker." Nayan unlaced their paws and held a hand up, softly introducing themself, since they weren't really interested in being called 'dire rat' for the duration. Apparently these four noulicorns were helping folks they called expanders. It was their job to slowly expand Homewood's green borders further into the barrens. Two were of the opinion that they needed to make rounds to water the plants in the early morning and at dusk to allow the roots more time to absorb water; and that that technique may be enough. The other pair were of the mind to plant the seeds deeper, thinking that the topsoil is prone to dehydrating very quickly in the heat and sun of the barrens, and thought that spreading a layer of mulch would protect the roots from the worst of it. The four then waited for Nayan to offer up their thoughts on the matter. The four pairs of expectant eyes made them fidget where they sat.

"Both - Both sets of ideas are good and can be used together. It doesn't have to be either or. I think I have something to add, if you'd like to consider it. Back home, in the ruins, there's some of us who keep rooftop gardens. Since there isn't much in the way of shade up there, we have to build our own. Using metal pipes and cables to string up cloth to shield the more delicate plants. If-if you'd like, I can see about getting some sent here. You could also angle the sunshade with the front, barrens facing side being slightly closer to the ground, and the forest facing side could be slightly higher. That way it'd also catch the cool, moist air that might blow out of your home here could be sort of caught by the shades above the new plants before it dissipates into the desert air." Bringing a paw up to their muzzle, they scratched their jaw absently as they thought. "If a sturdy enough frame was built, it could be pretty easy to move. Since your goal is to gradually expand, with some tinkering we could probably fit wheels onto the frame, even if it's just two on one side to help make it even easier to move."

Glancing around, here and there, they spied a few more noulicorns passing through the trees. Huh...They didn't exactly have handy paws like dire rats did. Maybe there were some dire rats in Homewood? Or other beings that maybe could lend assistance. "And we could maybe incorporate some fabric or cord straps along the posts of the frame to help you guys out with lifting and moving..." They could either use their teeth to help or maybe loop it around their horns? Would it be preferred to have the loops large enough to slip their heads through? To have them be adjustable? Chain briefly passed through Nayan's mind as an option, but the fact that the nouls would still have to, likely, use their mouths or their heads to move the sunshade frame, which would likely get scorching hot from the proximity to the barrens...Nayan didn't fancy suggesting something that could burn anyone.

"I know some folks back in the ruins who could get me set up with that I'd need: metal piping of suitable size, maybe cord for the shade itself instead of cable, should you need to fix or replace anything. It'd probably be easier to get here...For the actual shade, I'd suggest fabric, which I could acquire if need be, or you may have some here that could be used also. I believe I have some things in my workshop that I could use to help secure wheels onto the frame, if you'd like me to incorporate them, of course. If not, that's okay too. If winds are strong along here, sand or stones could be put into the bottom of the frame before it gets sealed shut to add weight, though it'd make moving the frame a bit harder. Or instead of added weight, I could throw in some stakes that can be stamped down over the bottom of the frame to help keep any wind from blowing it away. If you go with stakes, they're easy enough to be taken out with a strong enough stick...Hm. I'd need to know how large you'd want it...Or-or if you'd like multiple smaller ones...We can always start with one and see how it works out for you!" No sense in foisting more on to these nouls than what they were potentially thinking of. It felt weird being dropped into a place they'd never been, but the thought of busying themselves with a project that could be useful to many, the possibilities set their whiskers a'twitching!

[WC: 1085 ]  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 pm
Grandfather tree's leaves settle and a soft green light swirls around Nayan, cool to the touch and smelling sweetly of flowers.

Nayan has been bestowed with the Botanic gift.

Their initial ability is sprout.
the user causes a seed to successfully and immediately sprout
+1 botanic healing to an area

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

ll Grandfather Tree ll
Vice Captain

ll Grandfather Tree ll generated a random number between 1 and 100 ... 48!

ll Grandfather Tree ll
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm
REDEEMED

rolling for exploration

[RP] Grandfather Tree [Magic Quests]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items