Things had taken a turn for the worst. Qual had been excited about showing Lamia his new skills in dueling, but the lioness didn't seem as interested in joining the Firekin as he was. They'd talked and after some deliberation had decided to split ways. Qual had never felt that pang of sadness before and his journey to the Firekin lands was put on hold as he mourned. He was alone now, completely alone. Not even one traveling partner, no one to snuggle up to. His wandering paws had brought him to the edge of a forest, one that was deep and dense and he hoped would offer some shelter to pass the night in. What he didn't realize was he was being watched from the moment he'd appeared from the tall grasses a few hundred meters from the edge of the woods.

Fényes was watching the dark lion with golden eyes, her spot in the shade hidden from the stranger for the time being. What a curious fellow, she thought to herself. He was walking like he'd just taken a beating but there were no wounds on him at all. He was heading for the forest but not with curiosity or trepidation so clearly he didn't realize he was edging closer and closer to the Skadi territory. She waited until he was close enough for the shade of the trees to touch his back before she jumped down from the low branch she'd been resting in, blocking his path.

Qual jumped slightly as a white lioness suddenly appeared before him, standing in the way of the trail he'd been following. Blue eyes blinked back the tears that had been collecting there and he stared at the stranger without much emotion. He was tired, he was hungry, he was lonely, and if this female was about to attack him for trespassing, well. He'd accept his fate.

"Hello."

Oh. That wasn't attacking. Qual swallowed thickly to try to get his words to come out.

"Hullo," he returned, lowering his head once again. "Am I trespassing?"

"No. Not yet anyway." Fényes tilted her head at the dejected male before her and she took a few steps forward, slowly circling him. He was a bit thin, indicating he hadn't eaten very recently, and from the way his tail was dragging on the ground she knew he was tired. "I'm not sure you want to rest in these woods, traveler," she said as she finished her circle, ending up in front of the male again. "The woods aren't kind to strangers."

"I don't care," Qual said quietly. "If they don't want me here they'll let me know." He pressed forward, brushing past the female to enter the wooded path. Fényes sighed softly but turned to follow him, knowing he'd want to leave eventually. She was happy to help lead lions into the maze or away from it, though they had to make the decision on their own.

"What brings you here?" she asked, trying to make small talk. Qual was quiet, though, so she began to guess. "You look tired but not hurt. Have you left your pride? You have very nice jewelry," she added, noticing the fangs and leather cords that they hung from. "Perhaps lost a friend?" That struck a little too close to home and Qual gave a low warning growl, leading Fényes to smile.

"A lover then. What a shame." She glanced up as the woods began to grow denser, blocking out the light and the heat from above, the coolness welcome even for someone with as light a pelt as hers. So far the woods didn't seem to reject him so perhaps he could stay here the night and leave with no ill effects come morning.

"Would you like me to take you to the river? These woods are easy to get lost in," she advised. When Qual nodded she urged them through the trees and off the path, walking the ways she was taught ever since she was a cub. Qual was glad he had her as a guide, otherwise he really would have gotten lost. They walked what felt like hours but was really only minutes and finally the gentle rushing of water could be heard.

"These are very strange trees," Qual murmured as the water came into view. Fényes gave a little chuckle and nodded in agreement.

"They are blessed," she said as Qual lowered his head to drink. "They guard a pride that is beyond the woods, the first part of a labyrinth that those who wish to join must ford." Qual gave a little snort. A maze? That sounded a lot easier than a duel. "Some never make it and die within the walls," Fényes went on, making Qual eat his non-existent words. "Some are led to the other side, others find their way back here to the forest. I make sure if they fail that they can find their way out should they want to leave."

"Why don't you live in the pride?" Qual asked once he had his fill, to which Fényes laughed.

"Because life here is much less complicated. Much more fun. I get to meet interesting strangers like you," she said with a little grin and a wink to which Qual's stomach turned, reminding of Lamia for no reason other than the fact that Fényes was treating him with kindess. Was his old pride that bad that the only kind lioness he'd known was Lamia?

Fényes sensed Qual's unease and let out a little sigh of sympathy. "Don't worry, stranger. You are welcome to rest here the night. There's game to hunt should you wish it, the forest seems to have accepted you so I'm sure it will let you eat. Should you need something while you're here just call for me. I'm Fényes. I will come and help you."

Qual nodded slightly and turned to drink again. When he looked back, Fényes was gone. He glanced around but the lioness was nowhere to be seen, gone like a spirit. A bit concerned but thankful he had a place to rest, Qual moved on to try to find something to eat. In the trees above, Fényes watched the stranger closely, ready to help if he called.

WC: 1046