It was a few days after their second duel that Mate'moto finally managed to catch up with Citrabanu. They both had duties to attend to and every waking moment couldn't be spent dueling or having free time. But the Firekin weren't all work and no play, either. Even the General had some time to herself, which she used to hunt down the aspiring Battlemaster. She found him picking over some old bones, for what reason she wasn't sure and she wasn't too interested in finding out.

"There you are," she said as she approached, startling Citrabanu slightly. The male quickly turned to face her at attention as a soldier should, but it made her chuckle. Always ready to go, wasn't he?

"I wasn't aware you were looking for me, General," Citrabanu said once he remembered he had a voice. "If you had sent someone I would have come."

"Oh, that's not necessary. What I wanted to talk to you about is private anyway."

That made Citrabanu pause. Private? Was there some special mission she wanted to send him on? Surely there were other, more qualified lions for the job. But he nodded all the same and followed as Mate'moto turned to walk, her path leading them towards the border of the pride.

"What is it you wanted to speak to me about?" he asked once he caught up with her, trying to stay just a few paces behind. Mate'moto glanced back at him and raised a brow, jerking with her head to indicate he should walk beside her, not behind her. Clearing his throat he trotted to catch up again, feeling odd walking side by side with the lioness who had beaten his behind soundly twice in duels. He knew that wasn't the end all be all and she was very talented but he couldn't help but look upon his past failings in a brighter light now that he was beside her.

"I wanted to talk to you about you," she said as they strolled. "I know you're on the path to take the rank of Battlemaster and I wanted to tell you how much you've improved since we first dueled. You seemed a bit out of sorts at the end of our last duel so I figured I'd let it sit a few days, let that headache go away." As she spoke she grinned up at him, clearly not sorry for the head rattling. Citrabanu managed a little laugh at that, his head feeling fine now thankfully.

"Oh...yes, you did scramble my brain a bit with that strike," he said, trying not to sound too embarrassed. Mat gave a hearty laugh at that, drawing another laugh from Citrabanu. This was not how he had thought this talk was going to go but he had to admit it was nice.

"But in all seriousness," Mat said once their giggles had died down a bit. "You showed a lot of grit and determination. You didn't give up even when I literally knocked you down. You got back up and managed a good strike at the end. You might not be Battlemaster caliber yet but I know you're well on your way to being there." Citrabanu didn't know what to say to all the praise so he said nothing at all, he simply walked beside Mat quietly. What was he supposed to do? Thank her? Ask her for lessons? Go off and train harder?

"Which is why," Mat went on after a few moments of silence. "I'd like to ask you to be my mate."

"What?!"

The volume of and surprise in his own voice made Citrabanu wince. That was not what he'd been expecting at all. Her mate? That was so incredibly random he must have heard her wrong.

"I- I'm sorry, what? Did you say?"

"I'd like for you to be my mate," Mat said as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "I want to have strong children, but also children that want to excel and rise above the normal ranks. There are far too many here that are complacent with their lot in life. I want someone by my side who will always strive to better themselves."

Citrabanu continued to stare at Mat, disbelief clear on his face. She wanted him to be her mate? Even after kicking his backside twice in duels? He stood slightly open-mouthed, trying to process what she'd said. Someone who was strong, someone who didn't settle for what they were given, someone who wanted more...he did fit all those qualities.

"I...I mean, it would be an honor-"

"Good, then it's settled." Mat nodded her head and continued to walk as if she'd just asked him what his favorite food was, not if he'd be her mate. "I like ambition and you are ambition embodied. We've got to work on your confidence a bit but I can give you lessons in that. I expect you to continue climbing the ranks, though," she added, turning her head to look at Citrabanu seriously. "Don't rest on your laurels. Battlemaster will be a good first step in the right direction, but I expect you to continue the climb."

"Of course." Battlemaster was his first dream and he was still young. Maybe some day he'd make Captain. "This...er. Is there anything I should do?"

"Do?" Mat wrinkled her nose a bit. "You can move into my den. Spending more time together will help us become better acquainted." Move into her den. Citrabanu was pretty sure he was dreaming. Maybe he had actually passed out during the fight and was still unconscious, thoughts flying through his head. Well. Best not to tempt fate.

"All right." He cleared his throat slightly, still just a bit awkward, but finally starting to feel honored by the request. There were plenty of high-ranking males that were already at Mat's disposal but she didn't want any of them to be hers. She wanted him. Even though he'd lost twice he had somehow impressed her enough for this to come about.

"I've got to head back, but i'll see you at the end of my rounds," Mat said, nudging Citrabanu's shoulder with hers, a little smirk on her face. "Don't get lost." With that she turned back towards the center of the pride, moving at a quick trot. She left Citrabanu behind, the male standing there in shock and surprise still. Well. Things had just gotten a lot more interesting.

FIN
WC: 1079