Back to Guilds

Tags: Rabbit, Bunny, Bunnies, Genetics 

Reply [RP] The Tanglewood
[PRP] Strangers Met [Chant & Goldfinch] [FIN]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 15 Total: 15 (1-20)

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am
Redeemed
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

“Ugh, blasted things!” Chant snarled, nose wrinkled and eyes narrowed to beady black slits. The autumn foliage rustled loudly in raucous laughter, mocking her mercilessly. Chant rocked back on her haunches and scuffed her nose.

Around her, dry seeds flitted and twirled, dancing on the breeze in elegant swirls. Fairy wings flitting between the trees. And they were precisely what Chant was out here for. Other rabbits caught them for fun, but Chant needed their ground up insides for potions work. A properly prepared whirligig would help keep the bugs off of her meadowsweet come spring. That’s what grandmother had taught her.

“But they’re only potent until they’ve touched the ground,” she said, her voice wise and wheezing. Grandmother was always sick, when Chant knew her. “You’ve got to snatch them out of the air!”

Chant righted herself, wiggled her bottom, locked eyes on a whirling seed, and lept.

WC: 153  
Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-20)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Goldfinch spent little time in the Tanglewood, with all its thorns and nettles to snag and poke, and dark monstrous creatures lurking in the shadows. She much preferred the feel of sunshine on her back, the open air and sweet breezes of the meadow. But it was Autumn and a chill wind cascaded through the dry, yellowed grass, raking its icy fingers through her thick fur. The Tanglewood, despite the dangers, would at least offer her some shelter from the cold until she could dig herself a proper burrow.

A flash of black and orange caught her eye. Goldfinch hunkered down, ears flat against her skull. Had she already run into a predator? She eased herself upright inches at a time, twisting her ears upright to listen.

Oh. Just another doe! Probably trying to stay out of the wind as well.

Goldfinch shook off her nerves and hopped through the brambles toward the stranger. She watched the other doe take a leap, swatting at the whirligigs floating through the air.

Goldfinch grinned. She knew this game! She’d played it as a kit. It had been so long since she’d try to catch seeds, but she knew the game wasn’t properly played by just one rabbit! Goldfinch rushed toward the other doe and bounded into the air, swiping at the twirling whirligig with a laugh.

WC: 224
TWC: 377

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 am

Chant’s paws closed around the seed just as a blur of white and brown crashed into her side and sent her sprawling back to the ground. The seed tumbled out of her fist and flitted gently to the earth. Chant cried out and sprang to her feet. It was ruined!

She whipped around to face the stranger, ears pinned back in anger. “What are you doing?!”

WC: 66
TWC: 443

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am

Goldfinch landed on her side with a thump, laughter bubbling in her chest. She rolled on her back, kicking at the air as leaves crunched under her body. Her laughter cut abruptly as the other doe loomed over her.

Goldfinch eased herself to her feet, shaking the shattered leaf debris from her coat. She frowned. “It’s a game, isn’t it? You try to catch the seeds before they hit the ground. You got that one!”

Although… the doe wasn’t holding it anymore and she seemed far too angry for the situation at hand. Goldfinch might call her a sore loser except she’d won.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to barge in. I just… whenever I’ve played before you needed at least two rabbits to make proper sport of it.” She rubbed her ear to mask her nervousness and added,” I’m Goldfinch, by the way.”

WC: 148
TWC: 591

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 7 Total: 7 (1-20)

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am

“It’s not a game!” Chant growled. She didn’t have time for this. Whirligig were fluttering to the ground all around her and the one she had caught was now useless. She whipped away from the other rabbit and rose up on her hindlegs, following the track of seeds as they began to flutter down.

“They’re ingredients and I need to catch them before they touch the ground. Let me do my work in peace!”

A seed fluttered toward her. Chant sprang up, paws outstretched.

WC: 88
TWC: 679

[ooc: would help if I rolled lolololol]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:44 am

Ingredients? Ingredients for what? Nevermind, clearly the doe had other things on her mind and this was important to her. She might be surly, but Goldfinch knew rabbits - like everyone else - could end up in difficult times. Being grumpy right back wouldn’t help anyone.

“Alright,” Goldfinch agreed. “It’s not a game, but I can help you.”

She didn’t wait for a response, she rather expected it to be a forthright ‘no!’ anyway. Never matter, though. Goldfinch watched the swirl of seeds, picked one out, and made a jump for it.

WC: 92
TWC: 771

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 10 Total: 10 (1-20)

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Chant’s claw skimmed the edge of the whirly and sent it flying in the opposite direction. She reached for it, arms straining, but swirled passed her grip and landed only moments after Chant herself did. She cursed and scuffed the ground. Useless!

The other doe was still here. She cast a cautious glance over her shoulder to see her bounding into the air after another one. She missed it too.

Some help she was!

“If you catch one,” started Chant, her voice low and cautious. “Don’t put it on the ground, keep it in your fur so it stays safe.”

It was as much of an invitation as she was willing to offer.

She turned away, sharp eyes seeking movement, and tried again with a powerful kick to send her flying through the seeds.

WC: 134
TWC: 905

Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 20 Total: 20 (1-20)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:33 pm

“Drat!” Goldfinch laughed as the seed snaked passed her. She dropped to the ground with a shake, twirling about to face the dark doe. No luck on her end, either!

“They’re wily, aren’t they?” she said, crouching with muscles coiled, bottom wiggly as she searched for a new target. She was glad for the invitation, gruff as it was. Company was always better than roaming about on your own. Maybe they’d make fast friends after all.

A seed swirled near her and Goldfinch burst into the air after it. “I think I’ve got one!”

WC: 94
TWC: 999

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Chant missed her mark again. Frustration bubbled under her skin like flies plucking at a corpse. She rocked back on her haunches, brow furrowed, and glared at her paws. She was better than this. She’d caught whirligigs with grandmother and it hadn’t seemed so difficult then. Why couldn’t she manage it now?

A cry of triumph yanked her out of brooding. Goldfinch had caught a whirligig of her own.

Chant’s frown deepened, but she acknowledged the catch with a reluctant nod.

WC: 81
TWC: 1080

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Goldfinch twisted herself in the air, cradling the seed to her chest to keep it from touching the ground. She landed awkwardly with a painful thump. There would be a bruise on her rump tomorrow, for sure! But for now she basked in the warm glow of play, twisting about to grin at the black doe.

The doe’s grim countenance soured the mood.

Goldfinch tucked the seed behind her ear and approached her with a lowered head and a soft smile. She plucked the whirly free and held it out. “Here, it’s yours, I was only catching it for you. Let’s try another, alright?”

She rose her eyes to the trees and caught the moment a whirly freed itself from a branch, drifting toward them in cascading circles.

“That one!” Goldfinch cried with a forceful leap.

WC: 136
TWC: 1216

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk rolled 1 20-sided dice: 10 Total: 10 (1-20)

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Chant glanced down at the offered seed. She took it, gingerly, from the other rabbit’s paw and placed it snuggly in her ruff. That was one seed… Chant supposed it made up for the one she’d lost when the doe came barreling into her.

“I…” she started. She followed the doe’s gaze to the canopy of falling seed. “I’m Black Chanterelle.” She sniffed. “But I suppose you could call me Chant.”

The other’s name was Goldfinch, wasn’t it? Something like that, some type of bird, anyway.

The seed they’d been watching drifted closer. Chant steeled herself and took a leap, mouth open to attempt to catch it between her teeth this time.

WC: 112
TWC: 1328

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm

Goldfinch swiped and missed, sending the whirligig dancing down to Chant, just below her. She dropped back to the ground and raced about, brimming with sunshine and excitement as Chant snatched the seed between her teeth.

“You got it!” she cried in triumph. She mulled the doe’s name in her mouth, glad to have finally been introduced. “It’s nice to meet you, Chant. Sorry about earlier.”

WC: 66
TWC: 1394

Bugghnrahk

Bugghnrahk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:34 pm

Chant’s teeth closed around the seed, so gently as to not crush the dried carapace. She landed heavily with an ‘oof’, heart thundering a rapid staccato beat. She whipped around to face Goldfinch and brandished the whirly between her claws, her face aching in a grin.

“I think this will do,” she said, tucking the second seed next to the first, deep under the ruff of her chest where the wind couldn’t blow it away. “Thank-you…” she paused, chewing her words,” For your help.”

It was the plainest she’d ever been with a rabbit before, entirely out of her style. Ruining her air of mysticism!

Chant sniffed and turned away, hopping in short bursts toward the tangle of nettles. “I need to leave now. I have… things to prepare.”

She didn’t wait for a farewell before ducking through the thorns and scurrying out of sight.

WC: 145
TWC: 1539

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:39 pm

What a strange doe.

Goldfinch watched the dark rabbit squirm between the brambles and disappear through the shadows of Tanglewood. She stood on her haunches, idly cleaning an ear, as more whirligigs floated gently to the ground around her.

“Be careful!” she called, almost certain that Chant was long out of ear shot already.

Goldfinch shook the remnants of leaves and seeds from her fur and turned away. She’d come to the wood for some shelter out of the wind and she still needed to find a good place to hunker down. Maybe she’d find some more rabbits looking for the same.

One could only hope.

WC: 106
TWC: 1645

FIN.

Bugghnrahk

[RP] The Tanglewood

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items