Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Through the chatter of the dragons S'var had gathered that D'lana intended to linger a while after her meeting with M'rio, presumably to assess the place that her candidates would soon find themselves in. It had been a point of pride for S'var, and most of the rest of the entourage, to make Igen as close to spick and span as possible under the circumstances; he was curious to find out what she made of it, and curious too to find out what he made of her.

S'var tried to judge people only when he met them, but the simple facts were that the Weyrleader was only twenty-seven turns old, and that until her Liarth had won that critical flight she had never held a rank of consequence within Ista Weyr. The way she had reportedly ensured success in that flight and her background certainly indicated social and political skill, but was she really equal to the task of - worthy of - co-leading the North's last Weyr? It wasn't his place to judge of course, but he was hoping to get the opportunity to do so anyway.

Confident that D'lana would wish to glance into the sands, but that she would not enter, S'var loitered not too far away and gazed out over the mirror-lake that dominated Igen's otherwise desolate bowl. Beasts. They would need to bring in beasts from the nearby Holds for the weyrlings, easily achievable but something that needed to be ticked off the list.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:36 pm
TawnyAngel

Dimeti of white Giligelith (1)

The pair grunted as they worked, following around some green at a task he'd randomly decided to do. It wasn't like he'd WANTED to join in, not by any means! ~WHY are we here again?!~

~Because C'ran asked for help, and said we were the best faces for the job! ... Whatever that is to mean.~ his white purred back at him.

As a surprise to both of them, it turned out C'ran was looking to arrange some diplomatics with a couple of local ranchers, and in-deed, their skills as faces would be handy. He also seemed particularly aware that Dimeti would require some favor or another at a later date. Such a sacrifice!

C'ran of green Tefelath (1)

C'ran knew he might come to regret asking Dimeti for help on this. But... It was necessary. To make an arrangement with the ranchers nearby, he'd need someone who could do that, and C'ran wasn't so great at diplomacy. It's always best to know where your weaknesses lie.

Seeing the manipulative creature at work was a sight, for sure, and he was interested in how things worked with him and his white, but he couldn't begin to understand how the boy had arranged such a beneficial transaction. And the two would surely be asking for some favor, but first... they had things to do. "Many thanks for your cooperation. We will return shortly for the herdbeasts you're giving." He gave a simple bow and hopped on his wonderful, prickly little green with a smile. When asked, she gave a snarky reply about it, but did send for aid with retrieving the animals.

Careese of bronze Toplamath

In the area for reasons she wasn't about to relay to her own Weyrleader uninvited, Toplamath heard the green's calls and translated for his rider. The rancher wiped her brow as she stood and after a few moments, humming. "Well, let's go, then!" She grinned, abandoning the hay she'd just set down to return to her bronze. She came from between next to the pair, and would arrive in the weyrbowl with a nicely sized herdbeast to settle in the weyrbowl's pens. Tefelath and Giligelith would arrive shortly after as she blinked away, and they began to build up a small herd in the hopes it would suffice.  

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:54 pm
D'lana and Liarth

So, looks like the southerners are doing some kind of deals, Liarth observed from on high.

D'lana pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed, of course they were. Leave well enough alone? Let the people who lived here handle it? Oh no, clearly all of the riders who'd come up - with due respect to the dying goldrider and the very elderly - had serious hero complexes and no idea of what they were sticking their noses into. Had they heard of tithes? Holders had! D'lana had. Who had to deal with visiting riders getting beasts dropped in on a whim without official channels? She did, and so did W'dol. He was going to love this one.

Her good mood after her meeting with M'rio a little faded after the spectacle before her D'lana swept into the dusty Weyrbowl in a flurry of white and looked up quite pointedly at a dragon she recognised.

"It's been quite a surprising day for all of us; for me twice," she said aloud.

Oh.

S'var rubbed his forehead as a herbeast was abruptly dumped into one of the pens they'd mended, and predictably started to bolt and panic around the space. He didn't know exactly who was responsible for this but he could guess, and it was all he could do to offer a plain expression to Fort's younger Weyrleader as she came up beside him.

"We have not had the benefit of tithes since our arrival; I think the enthusiasm of youth may have overtaken official channels here Weyrleader. Igen will need herds, however."

"Yes," D'lana shot S'var a sidelong glance with an edge to it, "preferably not mooing and terrified, it spoils the taste so I'm told. There are Holds nearby, all of who are beholden to us and who can drive beasts here, it will be arranged swiftly. I hope you will make sure everyone else here knows that before they," she gestured and rolled her eyes, "do that again."  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm

"Perhaps we could have a little gathering tonight, for you to meet all of us," S'var suggested, Nemanath reaching out to Giligelith and Tefelath to suggest the same as he spoke. "Informal, but I'm sure it would be useful for everyone to get to know you at least a little before the candidates arrive tomorrow."

Ruhane Chiisai

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:09 pm

The bronzerider hadn't taken betweening into consideration before doing so with animals, but she was not oblivious to the results. An experienced rancher in her own right, she set toplamath down and settled into the task of coralling and calming the animals before they broke those newly-mended fences and wreaked all kinds of havoc, also calling a halt to the betweening of them. She'd certainly never do that again. "A'ight, put a hold on it." She sighed, working at soothing the last animal added to the paddock. There weren't many, but each cow was a task to work with now that all were freaked out from the travel. How had she not thought of how they'd react to the cold of Between?! She knew better! "Thinkin' it'd be better t' drive 'em than bring 'em by lizard. We got enough time not ter spook the meat."

The bronzerider was not oblivious to D'lana, but her hands were a little occupied right now. "Ain't it just?" she gave an apologetic smile, trying to get the cows together to warm them better, brushing their sides to calm them further.

C'ran of green Tefelath (2)

C'ran stopped, looking over at the northern rider as he set his green to land, patting her neck. Wow, he hadn't thought about that either. Maybe he should stick to the gardens after all? ~Perhaps that WOULD be better, C'ran-mine. Then I wouldn't need to smell of my dinner.~ The dragon tilted her nose at the pen and snuffed, as though a foul stench lingered in her nose. Well, maybe C'ran could deal with her words, but that did kind of sting a little.

"Sorry for the surprise." he smiled up apologetically as Careese worked with the herdbeasts. Four was an abysmal start to a weyrherd, but she was right. If they were panicking and raising a fuss, it could be far more dangerous to an already dangerous situation to bring more in right off.

Dimeti of white Giligelith (2)

Dimeti humphed and shrugged, leaving the pen with Giligelith and leaving C'ran to deal with the arrangements. He'd done his part, after all, and if C'ran was to be yelled at by the farmer, or the now-watching D'lana and Liarth, he wasn't going to put himself on the block. Shards if he wasn't going to point straight at C'ran when asked, either.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 am
D'lana and Liarth

"A gathering sounds like a fine idea," D'lana agreed as C'ran approached, and his apologetic smile made her rethink her initial reaction. These people had been living here as best they could, had come here knowing they were most likely to lose their dragons; what was a bit of chaos compared to that?

"No harm done, and it was well thought of." D'lana returned C'ran's smile and gave a slight bow. "I am D'lana of bronze Liarth, Weyrleader of Fort. We're more grateful for what you're all doing here than I can possibly say." And she would do well to remember that in all her future interactions with these people.

S'var of Brown Nemanath

The quick change in attitude from the bronzerider made S'var's brows lift slightly, but only very slightly, and he returned the Weyrleader's bow with a salute. "S'var of brown Nemanath, and this is C'ran of green Tefelath; we're glad to have you here at last." Glad, and afraid. Now that the northern dragons had come close to their own....

They had all known that this day would come, they had all accepted the risk and there was no going back now.

Ruhane Chiisai

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 pm

The bronzerider smiled, still working with the cattle. She wanted to warm them back up to healthy levels before she'd leave, and offered as much information to Toplamath to translate for her. The bronze's voice was offered to Liarth in a timely fashion to advise that she would return to her normal routine when the cattle were safe again.

C'ran of green Tefelath (3)

C'ran nodded, feeling the idea was a good suggestion, for his part. "You can be assured I shall attend." He promised. "And I shall pass the message on to Dimeti and his white Giligelith. They left a few moments ago to do... whatever that prickly pair does on their own." He knew they could both be a pain about the weyr. Everyone who lived here had to have learned that by now, or he'd count them sharding lucky and shake their hands!

Dimeti of white Giligelith (3)

The rider and his white rolled their eyes as they set out for the commonroom, curious if he could snag one of those comfortable lounge chairs he'd seen S'var sitting in. His white wasn't far from in tow, either, until she decided the doorways were made far too small to be reasonable and sought Dimeti's blessing to split off and go lounge in her own weyr.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am
D'lana and Liarth

The brief conversation routed between dragons and riders concluded, at least for that moment, with thanks and approval from Liarth to the larger bronze.

"Prickly?" D'lana smiled and raised an eyebrow. "Well I hope some good Benden wine with smooth their prickles, for Dimeti that is. I don't think we've time to set up a whole feast but it will be easy enough to fetch in a few bottles, and some fresh produce you may have been missing while you've been hiding out here." Mental note - step up sweeps to ensure nobody had moved into any of the other Weyrs while they hadn't been paying attention.

S'var and Nemanath 5

"I'm sure everyone would welcome both of those things Weyrleader," S'var said with a slight twinkle in his eyes, their diet had been a little repetitive and spare during their covert mission. If everything for them was uncertain from now on, probably quite bleak, they could at least take comfort in some fresh fruit from Ista and Southern Boll.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:02 pm
C'ran of green Tefelath (4)

C'ran clapped excitedly. "Oh, but you can be sure'a that. I got the garden all prepped for some good ol' fashion growin' an' can't do nothin' with it, yet. Thinkin' it could be fun to learn the handlin' of grapes an' other fermentables. Just for a lark, of course." The youth looked positively brimming with excitement at the challenge, and about like he'd handled near as much fertillizer as Careese had hay. "Think my Leiya'd like that, to." He hummed. ~Tefelath, dearest. Would you tell Leiya there's going to be wine and fruit tonight?~ ~Why in the world should I do that? It's not like I like those two at all!~ ~We really have got to work on your skill with words.~

Finally satisfied at the state of the cattle, Careese nodded. They were together and warm. Still a little spooked, but they'd live this event, and they knew it. She hopped the fence towards her bronze and he walked with her until she noticed the daintiest tiniest little screw held in the end of his beak and sighed, hopping to retrieve it. "I swear, yer gonna swallow somethin' ya didn' mean to one day." she muttered, shaking her head. Nope. Pretties not food. and she was sure there was some cooking utensil settled between his shoulders he wasn't telling her about. "An' ye gonna regret it then." she finished, finally meeting up with the others. "There's grass, but it's winter-brown. Thinkin' the herdbeasts might need more'n that. But... They'll live. Clean bill'a health and all, so... I'm back in the air. Weyrleader." She gave a respectful bow, and one just as much so to S'var and C'ran. She climbed up on Toplamath's back, paused, and climbed back down, smiling at S'var. "Fergot to introduce meself. I'm Careese, o' Toplamath, here." And she held out a familiar-seeming pair of dirtied wooden bowls with an apologetic smile. "He likes to... 'Collect' things."  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:36 pm
D'lana and Liarth

Vines growing in Igen? Well they had clutching greens so why not? Who knew, they might discover that the soil and other conditions here made for a truly sublime grape. "I would be interested to watch the progress of such a venture, and to taste it! You'll have to let me know how it goes." If C'ran lived she doubted anyone would deny him a personal patch of garden to play in if he really wanted to.

As Careese approached D'lana gave her a small smile and a nod of acknowledgement. "Good, but do join us later if you'd like to - no drills or other duties for the rest of today. We'll need volunteers to bring in the candidates too, your Toplamath would be a good choice if you're both willing." The great hulking bronze could carry a large number of candidates at one go, much more efficient... What was with the bowls?

S'var 6

"Glad to make your acquaintance Careese," S'var smiled, though in a slightly puzzled manner as the bowls were held out to him. "Ahh... Are these your C'ran?" he asked as he took them slowly from the bronzerider's hands. Had her dragon had the bowls in his mouth? His head was so massive it was amazing he hadn't swallowed them without noticing.

Ruhane Chiisai

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 pm
C'ran of Green Tefelath (5)
TawnyAngel

C'ran stared at the bowls and tilted his brow, shaking his head. "Ain't mine, that's fer sure. I... Think it's Igen Weyr's, though, so... Ours?" He muttered, and shrugged. "I'll get it to the kitchen t' be cleaned..." he took the bowls and cringed at the combination of dragon spit and food remaining in the dish.

Careese of Bronze Toplamath

"Tell the truth, I ain't sure who they go to. Topper just... Picks things up. I find piles o' stuff jus' like this in his weyr all'a time. Seems fond'a wood an' rope." She sighed and shrugged. "Chore in and of i'self jes' to get it back t' the kitchens and where it's s'posed ter be. I jes' know it weren't in the saddle when I got outta it last."

She gave a nod to D'lana. "'Course, Weyrleader. Topper loves it when people give him 'hugs from above'." She grinned back at her dragon, and heard his mental affirmative. And, to his credit, he had been the recipient of many-a weyrbrat backside at the turnover celebration as they all sat on him for warmth, or climbed on him for fun, and he just laid in his warm spot and let them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 pm
Ruhane Chiisai

S'var 7

S'var gave C'ran a little smile that wordlessly said 'rather you than me' and then turned to Careese for the explanation. As it turned out the explanation didn't explain anything, but you couldn't expect sense out of everything in life.

Aloud he said; "We all have our quirks, and it's better than him having an eye for valuables like some firelizards seem to. A brown belonging to a friend of mine once created a hoard pile three feet tall of all kinds of metal goods in a disused storage cavern, the Weyr had been on the hunt for the thief for months before it was discovered." It had caused a lot of laughter for most, and a lot of embarrassment for R'iam,

D'lana

"Well... quite," D'lana agreed in slightly puzzled tones, she didn't understand how the bronze could have happened by bowls from the kitchen but perhaps they'd been lying in the weyrbowl somewhere. Shaking off her confusion at that she cocked her head at Careese and gave her a smile that was crooked with honest warmth and amusement. "Everyone wins then, let the candidatemaster know when you get back and I'm sure they'll be pleased to add you to the roster."  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:24 pm
TawnyAngel

Careese of Bronze Toplamath

She chuckled at the memory and nodded. "Shh, let's not give him any ideas." Careese smiled softly and nodded, giving a bow right back and hopping up her Bronze's saddle again with a smile. "I'll let them know." She gave another dip of her head as she turned her bronze to guide him from close proximity to the others. "I'll see you all for the food tonight, then, Weyrleader! S'var, C'ran." she called as she encouraged her bronze to trot a few steps before bounding into the air with a few powerful strokes to flatten the grass. She disappeared with a breeze left behind by his wings, as if it needed more abuse.

C'ran of green Tefelath (6)

C'ran smiled crookedly and shrugged. "Oh, ain't nothing wrong with doin' a couple dishes now and then." He eyed S'var a moment. "I ain't volunteering, but I can help." Maybe they could look into getting some weyrfolk to hang around; surely there were enough left over wandering around the holds and crafthalls since the north went to shards. His Leiya could cook, but true kitchen staff wouldn't feel burdened by it. He could clean, but so could a weyrmaid or a swarm of candidates. He wanted so much to discuss it, but it just wasn't his place to bring it up.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:08 pm
Ruhane Chiisai

S'var 8

Once they'd bid farewell to Careese S'var turned to C'ran and returned his smile. "I don't mind washing them if you'll take them there, nothing wrong with hot soapy water as you say but I'm not quite so keen on dragon drool." He wasn't a particularly squeamish man but that didn't mean he liked touching slimy things.

D'lana

"You'll have more help soon," D'lana volunteered as she turned back to the southerners, having waved farewell to Careese. "Once the Touching is organised we can send over some staff to get everything in order ready for the clutch." Cooking, cleaning, laundry, caring for the beasts - Igen would by no means be full but it wouldn't feel quite so desolate as it did at the moment.... Maybe that was why W'dol hadn't volunteered to come, or among them anyway. How would she feel seeing Ista like this?  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:57 pm
C'ran of green Tefelath
TawnyAngel

He chuckled. "I meant volunteering full time, I c'n do these." Slimy wasn't his favorite, either, but his hands were already befouled with drool, may as well be only the one. He thanked the first egg that the drool wasn't laid thick across the bowls, just a thin film. That would be simpler to clean than it looked. He blinked at D"lana, surprised that she seemed to respond to his own thoughts and wondering vaguely if his green was actually being social and sharing him with her own, before he managed a smile and nod. "That would be a blessing, for sure."  
Other Territories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff