Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:43 pm
Hey folks! It is I, the current volunteer maintaining a Compilation of Color Scheme Guides (alongside other actual color guides). I was thinking of bringing up this topic in that thread, but since I only just went through most of the guides 2 months ago, it seemed kind of hasty. So I'll drop it here for now, to get my thoughts in order, and maybe hear others' thoughts.

I do intend to go through all of the guides in the guide thread to determine if they're still relatively up to date. It's kind of a bummer to go to a guide for a scheme to find that it's a few months out of date (or even years), so I'd like to note if a guide is out of date in the guide thread itself. I plan to do this check in either November or December.

Which kind of brings me back around to the thing I want to discuss: there's currently a huge number of colors that do not have an up to date guide.

A lot of people are quitting, that's completely understandable, people aren't 100% obligated to note that they're quitting in their guides, they can leave whenever they want to. Heck, people can just stop maintaining their guides while staying on Gaia, and that is also completely understandable. No shade here folks, I have also quit Gaia before, and still contemplate it nowadays tbh.

The question (as the guide thread keeper) then becomes, at what point do those unmaintained schemes become "out of date", and, what happens when the larger guides that usually maintain those schemes also fall out of date?

It is kind of impossible to talk about this without mentioning ladykayra's Unguided Schemes, which has sort of become a big ol fallback for so many colors and schemes. It also hasn't updated since April 1st, and is part of why I'm publicly wondering this.

But this kind of situation has also happened to actual color guides. Most notably I am also publicly wondering about Shades of Blue, which I went through to try and grab schemes such as Ripple and Rainy, but doesn't note an update date in the thread (that I've seen) and seems to be several months out of date, at least in terms of Ripple.

Is it just too much work to maintain a color scheme thread within the forums at this point? (Which is totally fair. Huge guides are a pain.)

I did go back and get the daily color scheme listings up to date, and I don't mind keeping up with it actually, though after putting so many schemes together I have a hard time noticing whether an item is new or a rerelease, so uhh bear with me.

Guides aside, a lot of schemes are just decently tagged lately, so people don't necessarily need a guide to find the scheme. If no one makes a guide for a scheme, but the scheme can be found through a tag, should I track that in my guide thread, despite not being a guide? Should the color scheme guide comp thread simply become the color scheme comp thread, just a list of schemes, and links to the marketplace tag?

I'm not sure yet. I should probably send a few "hey what's up" pms to kayra and other guidemakers, so uhh, consider this a more public PM that other guidemakers (color scheme or not) may comment on.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm
ladykayra
Heyo, hope things have been going well on your end, and I hope you don't mind being quote-summoned.  

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

ElegantlyLuminous

Mystical Creature

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm
      Deciding when a thread has been abandoned or become outdated is hard. That's my biggest issue with my misc. guides thread. (That, and I forget when I last checked which threads were updated.)

Generally, I go with 6-ish months is outdated for commonly produced items/colors. Uncommon things, eh, maybe a year? And that's only if I haven't seen anything from the OP about if they're around or not.

It's so much easier when people included a "last updated MM/DD/YY" of some kind. (Seriously. Please include it? Pretty please?)

Maintaining guides is kind of a pain in the butt, so I can't really blame anyone for leaving. I love it, but I'm weird.

As for the other... eh. Up to you. I think tracking unguided schemes would be a lot of work and probably more stressful than not. Might not be worth it. And if there isn't a guide? Like you said, a link to the MP with the scheme name would be handy. Maybe include some common tags, too? Like how Leonine often has Pride/Proud or Fierce. Things like that.

It's not the same as a guide but it's better than nothing. Especially if there's a picture to put a face to the name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:07 pm
ElegantlyLuminous
Yeah, 6 months is kind of the cutoff point I have been going with. By Nov/Dec it'd be 6 months since I went through them this June, but during that check I was mostly just checking for thumbnail breakage. Checking them all again for timely updatedness is going to be... an endeavor, and a number of good guides would be stuck with an "out of date" if I went through em again today.

I do think I'm gonna start tracking well-tagged nonguided schemes via MP tags sooner rather than later though, the comp thread does get a decent amount of folks asking for unguided schemes that aren't even in Unguided, it'd probably be easy to convert the thread into a decent general schemes guide. That and with kayra kind of MIA and understandably having a ton of schemes to add to Unguided, I'd feel weird expecting her to do all of them just so that they can be added.

Perhaps that is the future for some color scheme guides, that we no longer need for someone to make a guide? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

zahhax
Vice Captain

Ace Garbage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm
i've stopped paying attention to my color guides because those colors are tagged well, so there's no need to update them. now the older items that aren't tagged stay in the guide.
i've mostly neglected them to update my limbs guides, bc limbs aren't tagged properly  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:31 pm
zahhax
That's a good point! I was going to bring up your Rookie guide as an example but the thumbnails are all broken, so it's kind of useless as a guide right now, even if it does have the older items.

Still, time to consider how to notate when an abandoned guide is still up to date because the scheme is old... User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And yeah, I hear you on the limbs guide. Finding things that are untagged or obscure for a guide feels much more productive, personally, even if they aren't as immediately popular.  

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm
Zeetheus
ladykayra
Heyo, hope things have been going well on your end, and I hope you don't mind being quote-summoned.

-get pinged but I'm the one who went MIA-

Sorry about that Zeetheus and thank you for keeping up the threads here in guild for so long!

I'll be honest I think keeping the guides up in the main forum is really hard. I gain and run out of room quickly for Unguided and I know Angie does the same with shades of blue.

I was actually thinking of halting (okay it's already been kinda halted) Unguided to focus on getting color guides up here in the guild first. Similar to what I had started with the Hex guides (before going MIA). I figure that instead of the current plot schemes could go in just one or two colors with links to those lists in the other color guides. It would allow for better expansion to see how much room a guide in the forums would really need to cover mostly everything. At that same point it would help get all the schemes up to date

I know it seems kinda ambitious but maybe we should also have some thread where people can literally just throw weird colors they find and maybe that would eventually be a way to find all the untagged or random things out there.

Sorry, kinda thought through but also very not at this point. I honestly may also try to get unguided up to date while mulling it over.

I'll probably be a bit slow for a while though. My MIA was caused by damage to my arm(s) and that causing my carpal tunnel to act up worse and more often. Sorry for not getting on sooner or giving anyone a forwarning

edit: oh and I usually consider 3 months for a very frequently updated scheme as falling out of date, 6 months is very out of date and a year is abandoned. Infrequent schemes depends on how infrequent but push things out by at least 3 more months probably, or the same time frame but from the last item or two released in it  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm
ladykayra
Welcome back, I hope you're recovering well!

TBH the main forums and guilds both have their own pros and cons. I used to have my Heterochromatic Eyes guide in the guild, but after a huge update it had cut out whatever bypassed the character limit at the end of the post, and I lost a whole section. So that's one downside to the guilds. Though if someone's a bit more gung-ho about separating things into smaller posts it can probably be avoided. There's also the fact that threads in the Guides section are much more visible than in the guild, it's fairly organized here but honestly the guild itself is kinda buried, unless you know where to look for it.

Due to recent events I've been feeling kind of bitter towards Gaia myself so I haven't done nearly as much guidebuilding as I wanted to and am kind of behind in updating them... maybe in a week or two...

I do like the 'random colors' thread idea... I'm already collecting/sorting small purples here and there, I think it'd be interesting to see what gets collected by the users.

Also I'm not sure if you checked out the color scheme guide comp thread yet, I did end up adding all of the unguided Tie-Dye schemes since most of them were decently tagged. I'm unsure of what you want to prioritize guiding atm, but you can probably put most of the named/official schemes a little lower?  

Zeetheus

Crew

Luminous Connoisseur

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:17 am
Zeetheus
Welcome back, I hope you're recovering well!

TBH the main forums and guilds both have their own pros and cons. I used to have my Heterochromatic Eyes guide in the guild, but after a huge update it had cut out whatever bypassed the character limit at the end of the post, and I lost a whole section. So that's one downside to the guilds. Though if someone's a bit more gung-ho about separating things into smaller posts it can probably be avoided. There's also the fact that threads in the Guides section are much more visible than in the guild, it's fairly organized here but honestly the guild itself is kinda buried, unless you know where to look for it.

Due to recent events I've been feeling kind of bitter towards Gaia myself so I haven't done nearly as much guidebuilding as I wanted to and am kind of behind in updating them... maybe in a week or two...

I do like the 'random colors' thread idea... I'm already collecting/sorting small purples here and there, I think it'd be interesting to see what gets collected by the users.

Also I'm not sure if you checked out the color scheme guide comp thread yet, I did end up adding all of the unguided Tie-Dye schemes since most of them were decently tagged. I'm unsure of what you want to prioritize guiding atm, but you can probably put most of the named/official schemes a little lower?

Ah, yeah the guilds not warning about being over post limit is pretty bad. When I was doing the monthly summaries I actually pasted the list into word and had it count the characters for me to stay in the character limit. I can totally see not wanting to risk that. You're right guides is definitely the place for more visibility, plus users can actually subscribe to threads for updates there. I suppose I always figured the guild as more of a staging area for guides and then if people wanted them in the main forums they could use a mule (if they wanted others to be able to make updates). Granted ideas and execution change over time.

That's, well Gaia is certainly making some choices there. I don't blame you for taking a break after that.

Ah! Neat! I think my first step will be getting the hex guide/list of color schemes up to date. That'll allow for planning color guides a bit better I think. After that I'm not sure though. Probably re-sort schemes and then just pick a color to start with, maybe orange or yellow since those both feel like they've been without guides a long time. Red might also be good but....crimson I do not look forward to. It definitely helps to be able to put tie-dyes a bit lower on the list  
General Chatter

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games