Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Wicca Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:25 pm
INTRODUCTION

This is a daunting task, and I encourage any other Guild members who wish to replace this thread with a more informative one to do so. The challenge for me is that I am bound by certain oaths. Thus, my insights here will be limited, but at this point I figure it's better than nothing until another thread comes along! Until then, this will be an exercise for me to explain my path. As a disclaimer, I wish to make it known that I do not speak for all Wiccans, nor should this thread be construed as an attempt to "teach Wicca." I make no claims about the completeness or accuracy of this thread!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Introduction - First post
History - Second post
What is Wicca? - Third post
FAQ - Fourth post  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:56 pm
HISTORY

I'll try not to get bogged down in history, since most of the early stuff is all over the web. The well-known part is that the word "Wicca" first became public in the 1950's by Gerald Gardner who made the unverifiable claim that he had been Initiated into an existing Coven. Early Wiccans were not labeled with different Traditions or denominations. In fact, it was put forth by Thea Sabin in Wicca for Beginners that family tradition practitioners of witchcraft were the first people to disparagingly dub the newcomers "Gardnerian Wiccans."

After a decade or two, Wicca experienced growing pains as it crossed the pond to America and collided with other Pagan survivals, revivals and reconstructions. Further devisions into Traditions occurred. One example of this was the formation of the New Wiccan Church. According to their website, "The New Wiccan Church (established 1973) is an international, professional association of individual members of various traditions of Wicca who are dedicated to preserving initiatory witchcraft in an ethical manner." These individuals working within Covens were suddenly expected to affiliate with other Covens under Traditional labels. Traditions are still strange things, and I've been told that the lines are blurrier in the UK than in the US (where even small differences in interpretations or praxis cause us to desire further divisions.) I have no proof of whether this opinion is true or not. According to the NWC, current Traditions include Alexandrian, Daoine Coire, Gardnerian, Kingstone, Majestic, Mohsian and Silver Crescent.

A family tree is located here, but take this unverified attempt with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila! There are a lot of Traditions on there that are no longer Wiccan, or even no longer in existance! As the world experienced a sudden rise in the popularity of Wicca, there were many non-Wiccan offshoots that formed when there were more interested people than Covens to Initiate them. Often times, non-Wiccan covens began with a group of pre-Initiates (Outer Court) that decided to form their own practice from what they believed was Wiccan material. Since they had not yet found out what Wiccan material actually was, their practice, however fulfilling, was not Wiccan. All of the current public information about Wicca is either the tip of the iceberg, or not Wiccan at all. Whenever you read something claiming to a complete and accurate account of Wiccan lore or practice, remember that, by definition, it was written either by an untrustworthy oathbreaker, somebody who is pulling your leg and giving you non-Wiccan material suitable for Outer Court members, or somebody who has never practiced Wicca at all.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:41 pm
WHAT IS WICCA?

Wicca is an Initiatory, Oathbound, Mystery religion whose practitioners are all clergy of this specific branch of Paganism. Through their Initiatory lineage within a hierarchal Coven, Wiccans receive and maintain an established body of lore and practice. The quoted text below is from a document in my posession which appears on-line in several places. None of these sources can cite its authors, or even the date of its creation. For this reason, you can consider it to be unverified. From its language (note the interchangable use of the words "Wicca" and "Witchcraft,") I would guess that it was not written within the last decade. It appears to be based upon the Old Laws that were made public by Gerald Gardner in 1957, so you may refer to them for further information. The authors of the following may not speak for all Wiccans, but this document is included as an example of Wiccan belief. You may also wish to view the NWC's British Traditional Wicca F.A.Q. for questions on the following and on the Old Laws as they arise.

Declaration of Faith of the British Traditions
We, the undersigned, being Witches of various British Traditions, in recognition of our common origin and similarity of religious practice, do ordain and declare these articles to strengthen our religion, emphasize our uniformity of belief and to demonstrate to the people and governments of this planet our serious dedication to the worship of the Gods. Witchcraft is composed of numerous traditions, but it is ONE religion. Therefore, we do declare:

Article I.

That we are Wicca and our religion is Witchcraft.

Article II.

That we give due worship to the Gods and obey their will.

Article III.

That we worship both the Goddess of the Moon and her consort, the God of Death and Resurrection.

Article IV.

That the Art is the secret of the Gods and may only be used in earnest and never for show or vain glory.

Article V.

That we will never do anything to disgrace the Gods, the Mighty Ones, the religion or its members.

Article VII.

That a Wicca (Witch) is a proper person who has been validly initiated within a Magic Circle by a Witch of the Opposite sex who has the authority to perform the initiation.

Article VIII.

That the power may only be passed from woman to man and man to woman, and that a man shall never initiate a man and a woman shall never initiate a woman.

Article IX.

That we will ever keep secret and never reveal: the secrets of the religion; the identity, rank or residence of any Wicca without their expressed permission; the location of any secret meeting place of the Wicca; the identity of any person attending such a meeting be they Wicca or not; the secret writings of the Craft or the methods of working magick.

Article X.

That we will celebrate our Mysteries in secret and never permit a cowan (non-witch) to observe or participate in our secret ceremonies, rituals or rites.

Article XI.

That we will never use magic to kill or injure anyone except in self defense.

Article XII.

That we will never use magic to take revenge against anyone.

Article XIII.

That we will never curse anyone.

Article XIV.

That we will never kill or injure any living thing as a sacrifice or offering to the Gods. This prohibition does not include the pricking the finger as demanded at initiation.

Article XV.

That we do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ and that we do not mock or parody Christianity.

Article XVI.

That we do not believe in the existence of Satan or the devil nor do we worship him.

All this we do declare by the Gods and our past lives and our hope of future ones to come. So mote it be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:32 pm
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

The following will be a list of my FAQ. Please jump to previous posts if you want to read more about Wicca first, because this FAQ is going to be a list of actual questions that I'm asked frequently, rather than an introduction or explanation of Wicca in question-and-answer format. Check this post for updates.

Quote:
What is Outer Court material?

It's an invented, innacurate phrase that occurred when folks on Gaia have turned a noun into an adjective.

All Wiccan lore, mysteries and practices are oathbound. Therefore, all the material you see published under the name of "Wiccan" is not really Wiccan material. When a Coven is training new members, they have two different groups. One is the Inner Court, consisting only of Initiated members. The second group is called the Outer Court. The Outer Court consists of people who want to become Initiated Wiccans, and also some Initiated members who are helping out or learning about the potential members.

A person traditionally spends about a year and a day in the Outer Court before becomming Initiated or being asked to leave. The time may be much shorter or much longer. Each Coven's Outer Court does different stuff, because it's really just a getting-to-know-you time to make sure that neither the Coven nor the newbies run screaming off into the night. It's a time to make sure that the newbies aren't into wacky stuff that would conflict with the Coven's values, and it's a good time to scope out the newbies and make sure they aren't just plain jerks.

Every Coven runs their Outer Court differently. Theoretically, an Outer Court could just be a monthly ice cream social. I have seen Outer Courts that do not have any books to read, and I have seen Outer Courts that do not have any rituals performed. Conversely, some Outer Courts are run just like a class, where each member is given non-Wiccan material to study. This is a way that the Wiccans can see whether the newbie is ready to put their mind to things and put forth the study work required after Initiation. The materials might be about philosophy or history or herbs or astrology; theoretically they could be about Latin! All non-Wiccan material is "safe/ok for outsiders to know about." No Wiccan lore, mysteries or practices are taught before Initiation. No Wiccan lore, mysteries or practices are taught to any Outer Court. Just because an Outer Court leader decides to have their students watch and analyze Disney's Finding Nemo for aspects of the hero's journey does NOT mean that Finding Nemo is "Outer Court material" that should be viewed by all interested seekers!

Quote:
Are Wiccan's "hard polytheists?" Or do they believe in (Dion Fortune's theory) that all Gods are one God, all Goddesses are one Goddess, and/or the God and Goddess are one?

When I get this question, I defer to a quote from reagun ban that explains things more eloquently than I.
reagun ban
We all know that anyone who accepts Jesus is a Christian. That's because Christianity is an orthodoxic religion. Orthodoxic religions are those such that what you believe is what makes you a member of the religion. If you can say the Nicean crede, then you're a Catholic. Wicca, on they other hand, is orthopraxic, meaning that what you believe may well be important but how you practice is what makes you a member.
Though more about the nature of the Wiccan Goddess and God are revealed after Initiation, Wiccans are left to figure out their own concept of deity. I have known Wiccans that hold beliefs all along this spectrum, and some with beliefs that are off the map.

Quote:
How do I find a coven? / Waah! The nearest Coven is twenty/thirty/fourty whole minutes away!

First of all, realize that finding the right Coven can take many years. Even if there's one next door to you, they may not advertize and they may not be accepting students right now. Be patient and keep putting your intentions out there in your local Pagan-friendly community. Talk to folks in local metaphysical bookstores and spiritual shops. Go to open circles. You might even try checking Online with Witchvox.com or Amberandjet.org. A&J maintains a Seekers list upon which you can make your intentions known if you email seekers@amberandjet.org. If you find a Wiccan who is not accepting students or who lives too far away from you, go ahead and talk to them anyway. Chances are that they know somebody who knows somebody. Be polite. Word does get around. Also, realize that you may have to do some serious communting to get to your Covenstead. Some people have to drive long distances, travel out of state, take a ferry, or do other amazing feats to become part of the Wiccan clergy. Remember, Catholic priests go to seminary. The Wiccan priesthood is just as serious a comittment.

Quote:
How can I figure out if the coven I've found is valid?

It's very important to verify lineage. Real Wiccans will expect this and will admire you for taking this bold but necessary step. Don't worry, they won't feel insulted! The first step in verification is to ask your potential Initiator(s) who will vouch for them. They will give you the contact information of other Wiccans who are willing to have their contact information given out to Seekers! Don't be alarmed if they don't give you the name and address of their Initiator. Maybe their Initiator isn't down with that kind of thing. Contact the people and verify your Wiccan's story.

The next step is to get independent verifications. That means that if you already know a Wiccan, even if they live far away from the Wiccan you've found, you can contact your known Wiccan and ask if they can get anyone to vouch for your found Wiccan. Your known Wiccan will be able to go through the proper channels to find a vouch. If you don't know ANY Wiccans anywhere, then you can try joining a list like Amberandjet.org and posting something like "can anyone vouch for a [insert Trad here] Wiccan in [insert state here]" and wait for responses. You'd be surprised how many independent vouches will come out of the woodwork! Also, this will get easier with time as you get in contact with verified Wiccans who can route your questions quickly to the appropriate people. NOTE: Getting no vouches for a person on A&J is just as suspicious as if you were to get negative comments about a person on A&J. Keep digging for answers. Don't take silence as assent. Run, don't walk, from a person who has earned no positive vouches from valid Wiccans.

Quote:
I'm not yet Initiated, but I am absolutely positive that I will be someday! What should I call myself?

In the interest of honesty, I suggest that you do not deceive yourself or others by calling yourself "Wiccan" or "a Wiccan ______" (fill in the blank with whatever euphamism an eager seeker can dream up.) Otherwise, you may get off on the wrong foot with the very Wiccans that you seek, or confuse your fellow seekers! If you're already "Pagan," that was my label of choice for the years between when I decided I would seek Initiation and when it actually happened. With regards to Wicca, you may choose to call yourself a "seeker" of Wicca (current, favoured lingo,) in order to help us Wiccans understand that you are, indeed, seeking Initiation!

Quote:
A valid, Initiated Wiccan that I know has gone on to form an eclectic coven/web-site/choir/book club/church/support group. Is their new coven/choir/club/church/group Wiccan? If I join their group, will I be Wiccan?

No. First, I will state that, if a Wiccan ceases practicing Wicca, they are no longer a practicing Wiccan. In addition to this, even if they are a practicing Wiccan, the only way you could become Wiccan through them is by receiving a valid, Wiccan Initiation into a valid, Wiccan Coven that is currently practicing Wicca! I don't care how many people you met at your local Pagan moot were Wiccan! It doesn't mean that group is Wiccan! Sometimes I answer this question by pointing out that "Wiccans do not s**t Wicca wherever they go!"

Quote:

Why are some things oathbound? Why keep secrets?

Lots of reasons, some of which may include: It is tradition, it helps teach loyalty and the discipline to keep silent, some things simply can't be spoken, to not spoil the surprise for any future initates, because words without context wouldn't make sense anyway, because it is personally private and intimate, because we don't have to share and don't owe information to outsiders, to keep it special in our own little brains and not dilute the meaning and associations for ourselves, and because Wicca isn't right for everybody.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 pm
No, Kudzu, that information is very helpful. I am planning to move cross country soon, and have been looking for covens to join. I was wondering how exactly to go about verifying lineage, since I was initiated in a non-lineaged tradition of wicca (Cabot) before I knew what exactly I was supposed to look for in a teacher. This information will hopefully help prevent me from making the same mistake.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:04 pm
Reijin-chan
No, Kudzu, that information is very helpful. I am planning to move cross country soon, and have been looking for covens to join. I was wondering how exactly to go about verifying lineage, since I was initiated in a non-lineaged tradition of wicca (Cabot) before I knew what exactly I was supposed to look for in a teacher. This information will hopefully help prevent me from making the same mistake.

Good question! I'm trying to communicate a method for verifying lineage. Here's what I have written out above. Please let me know if parts of this may not be clear so that I can try to revise it to make it more understandable:

The first step in verification is to ask your Wiccan who will vouch for them. They will give you the contact information of other Wiccans who are willing to have their contact information given out to Seekers! Don't be alarmed if they don't give you the name and address of their Initiator. Maybe their Initiator isn't down with that kind of thing. Contact those people and verify your Wiccan's story.

The next step is to get independent verifications. That means that, if you already know a Wiccan, even if they live far away from the Wiccan you've found, you can contact your known Wiccan and ask if they can get anyone to vouch for your found Wiccan. Your known Wiccan will be able to go through the proper channels to find a vouch. If you don't know ANY Wiccans anywhere, then you can try joining a list like Amberandjet.org and posting something like "can anyone vouch for a [insert Trad here] Wiccan in [insert state here]" and wait for responses. You'd be surprised how many independent vouches will come out of the woodwork! Also, this will get easier with time as you get in contact with verified Wiccans who can route your questions quickly to the appropriate people.

Out of curiosity, what state are you moving to?  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:33 am
California.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:51 am
Reijin-chan
California.

Ooh! I may soon be welcoming you to my Tradition! We're a branch off of a larger branch on the Wicca tree that is called "Central Valley Wicca" (CVW) which includes the Traditions of Daoine Coire, Kingstone, Majestic and Silver Crescent. What we now call the CVW branch formed when a woman immegrated from Britain and settled in California. Later, when naming your Traditions became fashionable, the above four Traditions emerged from what up until then had simply been called "Wicca." California is just crawling with Wiccans, especially in the Sacramento area. I'm sure you'll have plenty of groups and even Traditions to choose from, so take your time and be cautious! You may want to consider writing to the New Wiccan Church, based out of California, and asking to be referred to a valid, lineaged Coven. They may have several leads for you. Also, depending upon which Tradition interests you, even I may have some contacts that might like to say hello to you! What's your favourite Tradition? smile  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:22 pm
Well, I have been looking into Alexandrian Wicca a little. I know a high priestess here and have been to several of her coven's sabbat rituals.

Thank you, by the way. This is all very helpful.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:18 pm
Reijin-chan
Well, I have been looking into Alexandrian Wicca a little. I know a high priestess here and have been to several of her coven's sabbat rituals.

Thank you, by the way. This is all very helpful.

You're welcome! Maybe your Priestess can direct you to an Alexandrian Coven in California. Good luck!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Charity.Solei

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:21 am
Would you consider "dedicant" a good word to use if some one is interested in Wicca but has not yet been iniated? That's the boat that I am in right now. I am looking for linneaged covens to train with. I found some via Witchvox, but I need my licence in order to join them(since they are out of state). Just wondering.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:05 pm
Charity.Solei
Would you consider "dedicant" a good word to use if some one is interested in Wicca but has not yet been iniated? That's the boat that I am in right now. I am looking for linneaged covens to train with. I found some via Witchvox, but I need my licence in order to join them(since they are out of state). Just wondering.

You're a "seeker" of Wicca! You're probably already a "Pagan!"

This is just my own personal opinion, but I would not use "dedicant" as a discriptor at that stage, due to the confusion it may cause. First of all, "dedicant" is not a term universally used for seekers, even in outer courts. Second of all, for those who do use the term in outer courts, it may confuse Wiccans into thinking that you have already found a teacher who performed a ritual of dedication for you, in which case they may avoid speaking to you at all out of curtesy to such a teacher. For this reason, I would also avoid the term "student" at this stage of your journey. Both "dedicant" and "student" imply to me that you're busy pursuing a path already.

For optimum understanding by the Wiccans you hope to find, I suggest that you call yourself a "seeker." That bit of lingo announces that you are not yet Initiated, and implies to Wiccans that you are, indeed, "seeking" a Coven and Initiation!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:36 am
I have a similar question: what exactly does the term "neophyte" refer to?  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:41 pm
[Kudzu]
Charity.Solei

You're a "seeker" of Wicca! You're probably already a "Pagan!"
I definatllyt am Pagan.
Quote:

For optimum understanding by the Wiccans you hope to find, I suggest that you call yourself a "seeker." That bit of lingo announces that you are not yet Initiated, and implies to Wiccans that you are, indeed, "seeking" a Coven and Initiation!
I was just wondering. i've seen it used both ways, having your imput and thoghts have a deeper meaning then others simply because you are an iniated wiccan.  

Charity.Solei

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:20 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items