Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

“I’m ready,” Bushido announced.

She stood in the kitchen, the morning sun streaming in bright through the window and the twitter of the birds reminding her that the day had truly begun. Normally she would have been at soccer practice but in a rare occurrence she was skipping it today.

During dinner the night before Zen had been discussing the many tasks he had to tackle in the morning and when none of her siblings had thought to offer their services, she had put herself forward. It meant missing out on something she enjoyed but her father’s smile was worth it.

Only she would really like them to get started soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:15 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"I'm - I'm getting there," was the partially offered and not-at-all ready response.

Zen had not prepared for help, gracious as the offer was and as pleased as he was to spend time with his serious and disciplined daughter (truly, she must have inherited that from her grandfather). It was one thing when it was just him ambling around and spending the entire day doing what probably takes most a hoof-full of hours at best, and to actually made sure he had everything needed before their excursion was probably taking longer than it should.

It was just some bags and snacks...but he wasn't one to rush. It wasn't in his name.

It would take a few minutes more before he'd emerge into the kitchen with a serene smile, motioning for them to depart, and making their way from home to the shopping district. Once they arrived in the busiest part, Zen whuffled a soft sigh and drew out the list of things to do that he'd made, hovering it in front of his face as he squinted at his own writing.

"So we have -- some supplies for your mother, because I know she's running low on bandages and that's just unacceptable, uh, some groceries for dinner, if you have a preference, please do speak your mind - and a quick stop by the green house by the parts store. Anything else, we'll handle as it comes up." Such was his way.  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:20 am
If you had asked her yesterday, Bushido would have said she was a patient girl. However as the day finally began, she began to realize that maybe that wasn’t quite the case. Her steps, despite having smaller legs, were quick and kept carrying her past her father’s slow amble. She couldn’t understand why he was moving so slowly. They knew where they were going, there was no reason to take their time.

It became clear, by the time they’d reach the shopping district and Zen was squinting at list, that Bushido was probably going to miss her next class as well… and anything else she might have planned to do for the day.

She stood to attention, an unnecessary power-stance considering the lazy way her father was reading out their tasks. As he spoke, Bushido was already mapping out what she knew of the area, considering the best route, the most efficient use of their time. They could be done and home in just over an hour if they -

She shut down that thought process.

This was Zen she was helping and no force on earth would hurry him unnecessarily.

“Grilled salmon would be nice,” she suggested, already turning in the direction they were going to walk. “Maybe with some asparagus? Would you like me to carry the list?” Anything to give her a better sense of purpose as she waited on his movement.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 pm
"If you'd like," he responded kindly, lowering the list to his daughter. "Thank you."

Though he was a father, he really did have little sense of how he was perceived - and considering how long it took him to find his Purpose, making a meal might be a small lifetime, let alone buying the ingredients for it. This much, he knew, and he tried to be considerate in his own ambling manner.

Moving alongside Bushido towards their first destination, perhaps a hair or two faster than before, he offered, "We can split up, if you've got other plans, sweetheart. You can grab your mother's supplies, I'll go by the green house, and we can meet at the checkout. Your old man doesn't want to keep you from your business."

Zen paused by the hardware entrance, glancing towards the automatic doors and then back to his daughter. It was an out, if she wanted it, and a way to shave off some of the time it would normally take him.  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 pm
It was tempting.

Bushido couldn’t deny her first instinct was to take his offer and run. It was also the most efficient option and it made sense. The sooner they were done, the sooner both of them could complete more tasks.

But before her agreement could leave her mouth, she stopped.

She was here to help her father. If how he liked to do things was slow and relaxed, then that was how it was going to be. Bushido didn’t want to rush anything and it was so rare for them to spend much time together with her own busy schedule.

It would be good to learn how to take things at a slower pace.

“No,” she declared. “We can stay together.”  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:40 pm
A delighted smile crossed his features, having not anticipated the answer but clearly pleased by it all the same. "I'd like that." Echoing his daughter's thoughts, he added, "I don't get to see you much these days, let alone spend time with you. I'm honored I get to steal some of your time!" In his overly doting way, he dipped his head down and pressed a smooch to the top of her head, giving her a proud smile before making his way into the shop.

The scent of fresh cut wood and greased metal was overwhelming, but they had the best selection to get everything Mossflower would need...and then some. They had a bit of work ahead of them.

"Alright. Let's go."  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm
“It’s not stealing when freely given,” Bushido told Zen in her usual serious and earnest manner.

She followed after him, proud of her own decision. There were some experiences in life that couldn’t be rushed. Mossflower was always telling her to ‘slow down’ and now was her chance to try that out.

---

Some time later found them surrounded by plants. Breakfast had long since worn off and Bushido was hungry but there was an important decision to be made. She dumped the many bags she was covering, proof of their long and productive (if not speedy) day and frowned at the giant selection.

Zen had directed them here as their last stop, planning on picking up a gift for Mossflower, but now the choice had to be made - what would she like the most?

Over the hours they had spent together, Bushido had not only come to terms with her duty and her promise to stay with her father, but begun to relish it. There was something so relaxing and comforting about his gentle voice pointing things out, directing her gaze this way and that. The calming amble, the smiles, the way he got distracted and pulled off course to delight over something small.

She had a fresh love and fondness for her father and a new appreciation was taking life at a slower pace.

“Maybe a herb?” Bushido suggested, but they already had a herb garden at home and she wasn't entirely sure what was and wasn’t in it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 pm
The productive (and speedy, especially for the black stallion) day had brought them to their final destination, surrounded by the scent and cover of all manner of plants. Zen, ever fond to his best friend and mother of their children, always wanted to try and help Mossflower out where he could - be it in restocking supplies or picking up a little something to help with cooking, healing, or just to try and make her smile. Lucky for him, he had Bushido on his side that day, and they could both be uncertain and overwhelmed with this innocent decision.

"We could!" he agreed brightly, though he seemed to come to the same conclusion as Bushido, ears quirking at an angle of uncertainty. He knew the majority of the herbs, but he'd be remiss to forget one and it happened to be the gift. Woe betide him for such a folly!

Settling down his own bags, he turned his bright eyes over the collection of greenery. He supposed...they could use a different approach, since their daughter was included in the process. "How about this - you pick the one you think is the prettiest, either in picture or in growth. Something you like?"  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:25 pm
“I can do that.” Pick the prettiest for their mother? Certainly!

This was a challenge Bushido was at first ready to tackle but the longer she stood there thinking about it, the harder the decision became. She paced around the green house, avoiding the puddles from the watering and inspecting each plant with increasing dismay.

Aloe vera was nice and practical, a good plant for a healer, but Mossflower probably already had some and it wasn’t the prettiest plant there. But then if she was only considering the prettiest, it felt shallow. Surely a gift was better with a dual purpose. Her mother would appreciate something she could use.

Except her steps kept bringing her back to azaleas, particularly the one with pink and white flowers.

Bushido looked back at Zen and wordlessly asked for his opinion, her gaze beseeching.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 pm
He gathered and arranged the bags they'd both been carrying, placing some on his back and using his magic to hold the rest. Zen sorted through the contents, watching Bushido out of the corner of his eyes, a fond and proud smile forming as she took her duty so diligently and serious. Nothing would escape this girl's eye. She was very much like her mother.

When she looked to him, he lifted his head as though to have just finished sorting the bags, ears perked towards her and looking at what she'd paused by.

An old, hardy flower, as bright and beautiful as Bushido. They'd look perfectly at home in the shade of one of their Japanese maples, or lining the path by the herbs. His pale gold eyes lit up, almost as warm as his smile, nodding enthusiastically. "Let's take 'er home!" he called to her happily, maneuvering the bags and making enough of a path of his daughter and her prize.  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

Ruriska
Crew

Invisible Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm
Bushido hadn’t known how much his approval meant to her until he was smiling and nodding. The tension ran out of her shoulders and back as she smiled back in return. “Yes please,” she said, grabbing up the pot a bit awkwardly, trying to hold it in such a way that none of the flowers would be harmed.

“I think she’ll like it, don’t you?” Bushido said as she made her way towards the counter, the question more for added assurance than anything else. “Also I brought my own pocket money with me. I would like to pay for this one.”

She didn’t give him a chance to argue but took the money from the little purse she had been carrying around her neck. It was at the counter that she spied the little pots of lucky bamboo. It would be everything she had on her right but she certainly had enough for both.

“And this one too.” She selected the one with the nicest leaves and purchased them both.

Only after, with the azalea at her side, did she offer the carefully bagged bamboo to her father. “For you. Thank you for letting me join you. I had the best day.” And she meant it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 pm
"I think it'll be her favorite," he answered as seriously as he could, honest, still smiling with a flood of pride at his daughter. She was growing up so fast - offering to pay for the flower and not giving him a word edgewise against it. Chuckling, Zen waited patiently for the transaction to finish before they could begin their trip home.

Surprise lit his features as she passed a bamboo to him, promptly taking it out of the bag and letting it 'settle' on top of his head. "Aren't you the sweetest! Thank you, Bushido! I suppose turn about is fair play, then," he laughed under his breath, plucking out a red bean mochi he'd found while they were at the store, passing it to her. "Guess you're a bit like your old man after all," he teased fondly, bumping his nose to her brow in gratitude.

"Thank you for joining me. It means a lot to me, to spend some time with you. It's been the best of days, and I've you to thank for it. Now! Let us go home, and brighten your mother's day, shall we?"  

Chrystali
Crew

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

My Little Phony

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas