Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, how many of you still go to church? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

~Fashionably~Challanged~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:12 pm
Now, I don't mean for the religion, I mean for the people, or whatever reason. I go to a youth group, and have many people there who are kind, and I can feel safe, unlike when I'm surrounded by people who act as if they'd kill me if I so much as bumped into them, such as at school. Although I don't believe most of what I'm told, the companionship and free food is fun, and much of what they tell us has little to do with god, it's simply stuff that you shouldn't do anyway. Am I the only one?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
I actually go church-sight seeing. I really love the architecture people use when designing churches. I love the old gothic style and the accompanying flying buttresses. I'd love to go to Europe and visit the famous ones, but until I can afford that, I just check out local buildings. There are two near where I live that are beautiful. Both look like castles, and both are filled with huge statues. It's the only good thing about Catholicism.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Pistil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:11 pm
Last time I was in church, I was playing bingo.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:25 pm
I still go to church for a few reasons.

I like to go to hang out with the people I know there. They are my friends and I am not going to abandon them over religious differences. I like to go and have fun with them. We laugh and talk and just have a good time... that is what I like about it.

Also, I go there so I get bonus points from my parents. I can go and then ask for something, and get it with no question. I can threaten not to go to church and they will give me what I want. I like that part of the deal.

And then I go because I want to learn what these people believe. I like to sit there during the sermons and picking out things to question... that I know they have no proof to back things up.

I just go to have fun and to get what I want, is that so bad?

Yami_Ichi

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 pm
scream GOING IS SACRELIGION!, no joking, if we do anything is it sacreligion? Really what can we do against our religion.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:44 pm
LinkinPark7
scream GOING IS SACRELIGION!, no joking, if we do anything is it sacreligion? Really what can we do against our religion.
Well, since we don't have a religion, we can't really go against it. The only way an Atheist can go against his/her beliefs is if he/she started to believe. But then she wouldn't be an Atheist anymore.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

iviary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Dathu
I actually go church-sight seeing. I really love the architecture people use when designing churches. I love the old gothic style and the accompanying flying buttresses. I'd love to go to Europe and visit the famous ones, but until I can afford that, I just check out local buildings. There are two near where I live that are beautiful. Both look like castles, and both are filled with huge statues. It's the only good thing about Catholicism.

Have you read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett? If you haven't, you should. I bet you'd enjoy it. It's about the building of a Medieval Cathedral in England, and the lives of those involved in its building. It's my favorite book. :]  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:16 pm
I was a member in a church Orchestra, until fairly recently, but I grew tired of it. It was a Baptist church, and I didn't enjoy hearing the preacher say things like, "Agnostic people are really 'Ignostic' in that they have not been taught about the love of Jesus Christ" as well as sermons about needing to convert the heathen Muslims in various foreign countries. I joined the orchestra as an outlet to play, outside of school, after I quit my community youth orchestra, but the music wasn't all that enjoyable, the sermons were aggravating, and many of the people insufferable. My only misgivings were in that I left the very nice director with short notice, and that I left my dad to stumble through the music (which is a little too difficult for him) without me.  

iviary

~Fashionably~Challanged~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:22 pm
Yami_Ichi
I still go to church for a few reasons.

I like to go to hang out with the people I know there. They are my friends and I am not going to abandon them over religious differences. I like to go and have fun with them. We laugh and talk and just have a good time... that is what I like about it.

Also, I go there so I get bonus points from my parents. I can go and then ask for something, and get it with no question. I can threaten not to go to church and they will give me what I want. I like that part of the deal.

And then I go because I want to learn what these people believe. I like to sit there during the sermons and picking out things to question... that I know they have no proof to back things up.

I just go to have fun and to get what I want, is that so bad?
Of course not. But hlding it over your parents is kinda sad... they should give you what you want anyway. Mine sure do.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm
I've been a few times (mostly on trips, when the person I'm staying with assumes I'm Christian).  

DivideByZero14

MaddLlama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:47 am
I don't do the church thing at all. But, then again I was never a Christian even before I became an atheist so I suppose that's a factor.
But, I also don't to social/religious functions of my previous faith either. As terrible as it sounds I just can't be bothered with it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:07 am
Last time I went to a church would be the summer of 2002. That was for a youth group. Before I busted my back.

I have never gone back. But the people there were cool.

-Matt

[Subject to Availability]

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 am
I was sent to church when I was younger.

However I lived with a pretty laid back mom. She beleives in "God" but she doesn't care to get up on Sundays to go to church.

Just as well I don't go either. Why would I? It's a waste of time, when I could be busy commiting the deadly sin of Sloth by sleeping in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:28 pm
Sanguvixen
I was sent to church when I was younger.

However I lived with a pretty laid back mom. She beleives in "God" but she doesn't care to get up on Sundays to go to church.

Just as well I don't go either. Why would I? It's a waste of time, when I could be busy commiting the deadly sin of Sloth by sleeping in.

Ack! How dare you! *shuns*

rofl  

DivideByZero14

HaileSelassie601993

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:23 pm
The last time I went was Easter the one before last. I went once the Easter before that. I went to a theological seminary last year to hear a dharma talk by a famous Buddhist whose name I can't remember.

The most recent actual churchgoing experience was with a Korean sermon, and the one before involved a bunch of kids and I having an impromptu bible lesson for about five minutes. I don't go to church often at all.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff