User ImageShe had been there when they had arrived, those almost terrifying group of lionesses that had taken down the hyenas. This female had been much younger when she had arrived, when she and her family had come to their world and defeated the much despised hyenas. Despite her age the younger female before her had dealt with hyenas without even a moments hesitation. A warrior through and through, she even had the scars to prove it.

Yet this female stood before her asking for her advice. Kokulzawa was an umama now, so she supposed there was no reason why someone wouldn’t come to her, but this was certainly the first time one of these lady warriors had come to her. Her question was about family, and more importantly about cubs, about starting a family. She had never had cubs herself, she hadn’t really meant to skip out on this particular part of being a female in the pride, but she had never taken the jump herself. Still the question was there in front of her so she had to find an answer.

User Image
Rabia Bint Nesf had sought out some help. It was strange for her to ask anyone for help. She was an independent female, not unlike her mother. She had come here long enough ago that she was settled here now, this was home and she was happy to stay. Something had changed recently though, she felt a stirring inside herself that had nothing to do with fighting, which was strange.

She had over heard a couple of lionesses talking about having cubs, how they had just known when the time was right. She’d never had the feeling that she needed cubs but of late with this strange feeling in her gut, she thought maybe it was this ‘knowing’ feeling.

Rather than asking her mother or siblings who had joined the pride at the same time she had ultimately decided she should ask a third party. Someone who didn’t really know her, who knew about the pride, about the ways they lived and breathed and had since the day she was born. She had taken it upon herself to find an Umama and the first one she had found was the middle ground female. Kokulzawa she knew hadn’t been an Umama for too long and that was fine by her, someone new would probably answer her questions more seriously, or maybe they wouldn’t scoff at her? She wasn’t really sure what the problem was but she was fairly certain it could be solved by simply buckling down and asking the right questions. Her question had been fairly simple and while she had stood and asked the other female rather bluntly, the silence seemed to be stretching on for far too long. Perhaps the question needed re wording?

“Do you think, there is a time? A time when you should just have cubs? Is there such a thing?” She queried, okay she hadn’t really given the other female much time to find an answer and she had just come and blurted it out as soon as she saw her without so much as a how do you do, but there was no other question on her mind and she had to have an answer.

Kokulzawa stared at the pale female. She was young. She realised it almost like a sudden shock. She was inpatient, despite being a warrior, proven on a field of battle, she was still just a youth, confused, questioning about the ways of the world. Kokulzawa took a deep cleansing breath and after another moment of silence she decided what her answer should be.

“I don’t know Rabia.” Again a pause a gentle smile raising on her maw. “I myself am much older than you but I have yet to have any cubs. I have always been satisfied to care for my younger siblings. They have been my world. Now, now I have become an Umama and I feel responsible for a much wider range of creatures, such as yourself so I suppose I have become a mother in some ways just not to cubs.” She licked her lips, her mouth felt a little dry, the truth was she had been thinking about having cubs of late but the time had simply never felt right.

“My sisters, they are a little younger than me, I was the eldest in our litter, they have both had cubs, one of them has had several litters with the various males of the pride and that has suited both of them. Is there a time that is right? I don’t know, I think there is a plethora of other questions to ask yourself, does it feel right, do you want cubs, can you care for them? There is nothing more distressing than unwanted children, though the pride would never turn them away to not have a fully devoted mother is a very sad thing.” she gave a nod “Does that answer your question?”

The younger lioness stared, quite surprised at the answer she was given. Did she want cubs? She wasn’t really sure if she did or not. She supposed she was expected to have cubs at some point in her life, but perhaps now as not in fact the time to be thinking about that. Perhaps she could wait, perhaps she just had a stomach bug and the funny churning in her belly was just something she ate. She stayed silent for a moment, mulling over the answer. Then she gave a single nod. “Thank you. yes, I think that is a very good answer. I think you’re right, maybe now isn’t the time for me, I’m not sure I want to have cubs yet.” She smiled lightly. It was a good decision. Twitching her tail the sandy coloured lioness tipped her head. “Thank you Kokulzawa, you have been a great help.” With that said and her question answered the younger female trotted off back the way she came.

the darker lioness watched as the young female strolled away as if she had not asked the most difficult question in the world. Kokulzawa shook her head. She was sure one day the younger lioness would decide what she wanted on her own but today would not be that day. With a light sigh she turned and trotted onwards, she had been off to hunt when she was side tracked, the party would be waiting for her she couldn’t keep them waiting any longer.

((W/c 1083 ))