Ahe huffed softly and tossed his head, getting his curled mane from his eyes...somewhat successfully. He took a few steps back and out of the den he was currently digging to assess the structure and the size. So far it was a good two-family den, but he knew that wherever there were two lions living together there were bound to be cubs soon after. He'd need to make it at least a bit larger to hold a decent sized litter and their parents until the cubs were ready to strike out on their own. He'd probably need a few more rocks or ribs to support the structure and that was what sent him down to the beach to check the stockpiles from a whale that had washed up a few years ago.

Shio was heading to the beach as well, but for different reasons. The recent attack on the pride and the death of his father weighed heavily on his heart if only because of the distress of his mother. Ram had been a good father, that much was obvious, but Shio knew that everyone eventually must pass. Ram had died protecting his family and his pride and he couldn't fault him for doing so. He was sure he would have done the same if they had switched roles. It was sad, of course, but what distressed him more was how Hima was taking it. He had come down to the beach to clear his mind as the ocean always helped him to do so.

The two males emerged from two separate paths that lead to the entry point and they paused when they reached the other. Ahe gave a little bob of his head, knowing a member of the royal family when he saw one, but Shio waved it off with a paw.

"Good evening, Shio," the larger lion rumbled softly, his voice as deep and soothing as the waves against the rocks further out in the ocean. "It's nice to see you out and about. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you," the pale lion said with a little bob of his head in return. He knew better than to brush of thanks from pride members as they too felt the loss of his father. Ram had led them for years and now the pride was in a bit of turmoil as they waited to see which of the royal children would take over. So far none had willingly jumped forward but some of his brothers were considering taking charge at least to get the pride back to its normal state of calm. He himself wasn't fit to be a king, too passive and warm-hearted in his book. A king needed to have resolve and command respect, after all.

Ahe gave a little nod before starting to move again, motioning for Shio to join him. The two walked in silence for some time, simply enjoying the company of the other and listening to the ocean just a few dozen yards away. The sand shifted beneath their paws in a welcoming way, parting just enough to let them walk without struggling. Sometimes the deeper sand was hard to walk in but today it was kind.

"Any word on if he or the lion he was fighting were found?" Ahe asked after a while. Though a few had seen the king and the attacking male fall into the sea no bodies had been located yet. That was the way of the ocean sometimes, though, especially that area. There were so many rocks and underwater caves that it was possible the sea had claimed both as tribute for itself.

"No, not yet," Shio said with a sigh. "It would be nice to find my father at the very least, but I know he would be happy to rest with the ocean as well." He glanced out over the sparkling water turned orange and yellow by the setting sun. He had no care to have the attacking lion wash up on the shore and he hoped the sea would keep that particular corpse for eternity. Shuddering slightly, he turned again to focus on where they were walking. He was surprised when Ahe led him to the site of the old whale that had beached itself before his time in the pride. Not much was left, just a few of the larger bones, but that was exactly what Ahe was looking for.

"Working on a new den," he told the lead guard as he stepped forward to tug on one of the ribs still sticking from the sand, bleached white by the sun. "Just need a bit more support to ensure it can withstand its own weight."

"Ah, let me help," Shio offered, moving forward to dig at the base. Ahe was a large, strong lion and Shio knew he wouldn't need help carrying it back, but a little assistance in getting it loose from the hold the beach had on it was probably welcome. Ahe grunted his thanks as he got a better grip on the bone with his paws, yanking down to try to force it up from the sand. Together the lions worked and after a few minutes the bone finally sighed out of its hole and came to rest flat on the beach.

"Thank you," Ahe said which made Shio smile.

"Any time, friend," he returned. Although they didn't know one another much beyond names and faces, everyone here was a friend. That was just the mentality of the pride. Ahe gave a tiny smile in return before glancing down at the rib and heaving a sigh. It would be a bit of work to drag it back, but he was ready.

"Would you like some help with that? I know you could probably do it alone, but I'm here so I might as well offer, right?" Shio asked which made Ahe chuckle.

"Thank you, Shio, but I can do it. I know you didn't come down here to work. Go, enjoy the evening. I appreciate the offer."

The two lions parted ways there, Ahe with the bone returning the way they had come and Shio pressing on further down the beach. It was nice to know that even though the pot may be stirred and tragedy may strike, but life went on in the Bahari despite all that, just as the sea always returned to its calm and beautiful state even after the most terrible of storms.

FIN
WC: 1079