Mashaka yawned, it had been a long day and the aging lion was starting to feel his age. He gave his head a shake, he didn’t like to think of himself as getting old but he had to face the truth of things, he knew that he checked over his coat for grey hairs fairly often. He thanked his lucky stars though is vibrant purple coat was holding up to aging. He didn’t like to think of himself as a vain lion but he knew he didn’t want to be grey and white all over! He looked around for his mate. The group of them were still living in the forest that surrounded their home hiding from those who had taken it over.

Hinekiri had been keeping herself busy, as a nurse in the pride she had had consistent work since the pride had been attacked and they had run scared. She couldn’t help but let her minds wonder about where some of the others were. She was lucky that he cubs who were still young at the attack had been with her all of them rescued and taken to safety. And her half sibling had been safe as well, no what worried Hinekiri was the fact that no one had seen her father since the take over. She gave her head a shake trying to get the thoughts from her head when she looked up and caught the eye of her mate. She couldn’t help but smile, the sight of Mashaka always warmed her heart.

Making her way over to her mate the smile stayed on her lips and when she reached the male she leaned in and gave him a long nuzzle purring. “Hello my love” she greeted him taking a look at him. She couldn’t help her nursing ways she was always looking over those that she loved to make sure there was no lasting damage from those who had taken over her home.

Noticing the way his mates eyes travelled over him Mashaka froze for a second and then gave his a head a shake as he laughed softly. “Love you know I am okay, I would tell you if anything was wrong.” he said clucking his tongue at her. He knew that she came from a place of love but he wondered what the stress for her loved ones would do to her own health. “Come love lets go have a cuddle.” he told her really just wanting her to take a break.

Hinekiri gave her mate a look but appeased her mate and followed him along to a spot under a tree, the sun was shining today which meant light was filtering down through the leaves casting a cool green light over the little clearing they were calling home. It wasn’t their true home but if Hinekiri was to be honest she found it peaceful and serene she was happy as she could be misplaced and missing her father. As she looked over the clearing she saw youngins playing. They weren’t anyones she knew directly but it made her smile none the less.

“Do you miss ours being that little?” she asked Mashaka. He eyes filling with that odd look she got anytime she spoke of cubs.

Mashaka thought back to when his cubs were just that cubs. “Yes….. and no” he told her honestly. Who wouldn’t miss their babies being babies, it was a stage of life where everything was magical and sweet. He loved seeing the wonders each day held for them as they learned new things that were completely amazing to them. Then of course there was the work of raising cubs, the little beasts always seemed to have an endless amount of energy something the aging lion just didn’t seem to be able to keep up with. Though he knew if he had to be honest with himself he would always love having little ones around.

“You know that I love cubs though dear.” he told her cooing slightly as he nuzzled into her neck.

It was strange thinking of having little ones around again and in her heart Hinekiri knew that this was one hundred percent the wrong time to have cubs but she found that desire stirring within her again, and she knew she wanted to have one last litter. The only problem was that she wasn’t even sure her aging body could carry a litter again. But she knew she had to try.

“Let’s do it.” she said a coy smile on her face. She knew it was a big ask but she also knew that Mashaka would not turn her down on the idea. She could still picture her little ones running around playing when they were just babies, the bright coats her and Mashaka had mixing into their cubs making the most beautiful creatures she had ever seen… even if she was a little on the bias side!

Mashaka let out a small groan, he wasn’t really put off by the idea but he wasn’t jumping right on it either. “That is a big thing my love.” he told her. He wasn’t saying no he just wanted to make sure his big hearted mate was considering everything that came with raising cubs. Specially since right now wasn’t exactly the most stable for their pride. It might take them time to conceive they had no way of knowing that their lives would look like when the cubs were actually born.

He waited a minute before cracking a grin, “Though you already know that I would never be able to say no to you, or that request.” Mashaka’s heart might not be as big as he blue mate but he knew that he would always have room in his heart for more cubs of theirs.

“Whenever you are ready my love I am ready too” he told her a purr in his voice as he thought about the cubs they might have.

Hinekiri looked around coyly. “Well I think I am ready now” she told him with a smile. She rose slowly to her feet never looking over her shoulder she knew Mashaka would follow her.