User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"I'm going -- " He paused, shuddering, his voice weakened on the edge of the words. "There are children involved?"

The Kiokote, sitting in the clearing and watching him pace a trench in it, smiled with her infinite patience and answered him again as she had at least twenty times already. "You are to be a father."

Like the twenty times before, Destined physically blanched and uttered a low, keening sound that was almost a moan of displeasure at the news. "But -- "

"Such is the outcome of taking a mate, young one."

The slim male's ears lowered abruptly, eyes averting the mare's knowing smile. "It wasn't -- intentional," he stammered, as if that could possibly take back what had already begun. "She was sweet and charming and it was cold and -- it just -- "

"Such is the way of things."

Destined sighed, practically form his knees, finally ambling over to the seated Kiokote and sitting next to her. He stared at the ground, searching for answers - any avenue of recourse that wasn't him having a six-month panic attack, or however long it took for the pregnancy to end and the children to grow. He knew he wouldn't be a good father, not like his, no -- he was typically aloof himself, but to take care of someone else? Many someone elses, that required him to survive? Helpless, tiny things that could break in an instant or be scooped up by an errant hawk or --

"Breathe, young one." He jolted a little and blinked at the green female that smiled placidly at him. "Let go."

Swallowing visibly, he nodded, and then let the breath he'd been holding go, hissing between his teeth. He almost let himself fall to the ground before it occurred to him that he'd already thought of the problem and a solution. He wouldn't be half the father his own had been, that was true, but... "I can take them to my parents," he said suddenly and without prompting, lifting his head and his ears. The revelation brightened his eyes and brought a small, relieved smile to his face, easing out the lines of worry that were beginning to etch near his eyes. "My parents can help! I don't have to do this alone."

"Alone?" The Kiokote laughed, shaking her head. "The mother has no say?"

He paused. "Of course she does." Another pause. "I can bring my parents to them instead, then."

A soft sigh was his answer, but his mind was made. Standing, possibly the most confident he'd ever been in his life (which was saying something, since the confidence came form the notion of shirking responsibility), he took a few steps to leave the clearing. "I -- wait. What was the blessing again?" His head swiveled around to regard her.

She almost spoke to say it could be whatever he wanted, but she took it upon herself instead, intoning, "Your children will know boldness and be confident in their choices, though never lose their soft wonder of life." She paused, adding as a personal touch, "May your family be safe."

He did smile then, all relief and charm and gratitude. Destined trotted back to her and gently - affectionately - butt his head to the Ascended's. "Thank you," he murmured, heartfelt and true, before turning and bounding out of the clearing, petals from her hair clinging to his in the gesture. He glanced over his withers, but she was gone. It was just as well - he had another to find.

He had to catch her. He had to let her know.