Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands
[PRP] Alliances, Old and New (Khombo/Agni)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Umkhombo picked his way carefully down the steep, narrow path that led from the northern reaches of Ithambo'hlabathi territory and into Motoujamii lands. The deal - or arrangement, or theft, or whatever you chose to call it - for the spring had been struck before he'd been born, when Gakere and his compatriots had still reigned, and had been the beginning of an uneasy alliance for the two prides. In truth, for all the suspicion with which the native Abazingeli viewed them, the redpelts had...never really done anything for anyone to object to, beyond existing nearby and claiming the spring. In the years since, absolutely nothing of note had happened, and yet distrust of the desert still ruled to the south. Suspicion of anyone and everyone red had gone out of fashion, courtesy of the number of offspring Andhaka had left behind, but the redpelts proper, well...they'd probably always be the subject of looks and gossip.

Personally, Umkhombo didn't really give a s**t, as long as they didn't up and decide to leave the desert and move south. They'd been seasonal neighbors for longer than anyone could remember, and were considerably friendlier than they had been generations ago; though they'd never come into conflict, because his ancestors hadn't been stupid, the Firekin had once been the bogeymen of the surrounding lands, and there was a time when they would have taken not just the spring, but the Bonelanders in its vicinity as well. Let the Abazingeli complain all they liked; it could have been worse. Being both large in number and in individual size, the Firekin could have felled the Abaholi and done as they wished (for all that he was now held up and idolizedin the wake of his death, Gakere had not been invincible, even with Surtak beside him). They still could, although he liked to think it would cost them.

He, Ahlaq, and Faust were all versed in war, and they had Sayilmaz with them now as well, and a fair number of Qyrhyeshti females. Not that it was likely the two prides would ever actually come into conflict, despite the way the possibility was speculated over. As long as the alliance was respected and maintained, there was nothing to worry about. Which was why he was here: as lead Umholi, it was his responsibility now, and so he'd sent Tala to request a meeting. He didn't expect this first contact to be a formal affair at all - that, perhaps, would come later - and would only be meeting with one Regent today (which one, he didn't know, though he'd not have been able to tell them apart regardless). Had it been more of a to-do, he'd have brought his fellow Abaholi with him, potentially even the Omama, but...no, bringing the latter would have been far more trouble than it was worth.

At any rate, his allies had remained with the bulk of the pride while he'd gotten an early start to ensure that this business was done before the migration reached its conclusion and anyone could start mingling and gossiping at the Outpost.

((Helloo hilariously backdated RP. >> Takes place just as the BL migration would have concluded/soon after the Firekin expedition left.))
Ecavi
finally getting around to this one!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 am
User Image

It was a long trip to the Outpost but it was one that Agni-pariksha found herself making more frequently now. Her daughters were no longer dependent but they had yet to gain formal approval of the pride, this was a more comfortable place for them to train.. especially since more than once the spitfires had insisted that proving themselves to a pride who didn't want them was pointless. She had signed up for a fight when she had them, but she hadn't considered at the time what she was signing her cubs up for. Her daughters made sure to remind her of that, and she made sure to remind them that this was a fight they could handle.

Still.. The idea that they may yet decide to leave their home and join their sisters in the Ithambo'hlabathi made the family frequent visitors to the outpost and made Agni-pariksha herself an eager diplomat when an Umholi requested a meeting. The only information she had was that it was not Andhaka. She knew enough about the pride to guess what that meant, but she would make no assumptions until the meeting was concluded.

When she finally arrived, the male waiting for her was a surprise. He was large and fierce looking, and so dark that he could almost pass for a Firekin if he stayed out of direct sunlight. Umkhombo was clearly a warrior, and judging by his status and the marks scattered on his fur, a good one. That made things a little more interesting.

"Good day," she greeted him, standing a few paces opposite him when she came to a stop.

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 am
Umkhombo had a basic idea of what to expect from the Regent, appearance-wise: female, presumably large, presumably red. The scars were less expected, but pleasing. A warrior, good. He appreciated that, was much more comfortable with that than he was with the often pristine hides and trivial concerns of most of the Abazingeli and Busisa. He might have grown up with them, but he'd changed in his long time away, while they...they had remained the same. He was already finding it tiresome to a degree, and it was early yet. Maybe, with time, the feelings would quiet, but he hoped not. That would be the beginning of going soft.

"Regent," he returned the lioness' greeting with a respectful nod. There was an awkward pause; he was not a diplomat by any stretch of the word, and this was a very new situation for him, regardless of how confidently he stood. "I am Umkhombo. Andhaka and Bangizwe are defeated, and my partners and I now lead as Abaholi."

Mostly obvious information, perhaps, but he judged it courteous to lead with that. "I...don't expect that much will change between us, but I thought it best that we speak."

There, that was probably not terrible.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm
He was respectful, she noted. If this was a recent change, he was adapting to the role of leader quickly. It took her a while to realize she couldn't be the same foul-mouthed aggressor when she was in charge of a whole pride and not just portions of the army. If Tapana wasn't such a damned sharp regent, she wouldn't have caught on nearly as fast.

"Umholi Umkhombo," she greeted him, thankfully remembering the word for his title, "I'm Agni-pariksha. My partner is Regent Tapana."

She wondered at his mention of partners (plural!) but didn't comment. Considering her and Tapana were more stable leaders than the Abaholi of the Ithambo'hlabathi, she considered it worthwhile giving Tapana's name but didn't think it was necessary to ask about his partners.

"I hope they gave you a worthy fight," she said.

This left her wondering about her daughters. If they chose to go to the Bonelands now, their father was not the one in charge.. but they would have sisters waiting there for them. And then, of course.. did Umkhombo and the other Abaholi know about them? Shared blood was meant to strengthen their alliance, but they had never discussed it further. More than that, he had done her a favour and she vowed to repay him. Her dedication to the alliance between their prides was strong, but without Andhaka.. there was room to evaluate based on the new information.

At least Umkhombo was giving a good first impression.

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 pm
"Honored to meet you, Agni-pariksha." Another stiff nod, but the words it accompanied were sincere. Hopefully, now that they had been exchanged, the titles could be done away with rather than repeated every time they addressed each other by name. In his youth, he would have scoffed at the idea of a female being a true warrior, let alone a leader of them, but fortunately, he had been shown the error of his ways while he was still a scraggly-maned mess of adolescent overconfidence. A healthy respect and even admiration remained, clawmarks in his psyche left by the mate who had died in a desert far away. Compared to her, to any lioness with such a soul, the vast majority of the lionesses of the Bonelands...paled. Perhaps it was overly harsh of him, and perhaps with time the strength of that feeling would fade, but to go from the Qyrhyeshti to the Impibutho to the Ithambo'hlabathi was even more of a culture shock than it had been to leave his birth pride in the first place. Funny that he should return only to feel a foreigner.

"They were always better fighters than the lionesses liked to give them credit for," the dark male replied, circumspect. He knew the old Abaholi well enough to know they could have fought harder, but he also suspected he knew why they had not. It was one thing to fight to the death, another to watch someone you cared for do the same. "They might have come to power in an unconventional manner, but they held it well. I believe in hindsight, some might even remember them fondly, even as they critique the fact that they were allowed to live."

A fleeting quirk of a smile hinted at amusement; the females of the Bonelands could be fickle indeed, and strangely bloodthirsty for all that they regarded warrior-lionesses as such oddities. "I will confess, I'm not...certain what the state of relations has been between our prides, and it didn't occur to me to ask in the moment." He assumed there had been no real upsets of any kind, as he was sure they would have been much talked about! "I've come just ahead of the migration, so we'll be closer neighbors again very soon."

So, for obvious reasons, making sure that everything was in proper order was imperative.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:08 am
Not only was Umkhombo doing well as a diplomat, he surpassed Agni in his politesse. She just shrugged it off, though, offering a grin and waiting for the story about what happened with Andhaka and the other Umholi. That they were 'allowed to live' was a strange statement that gave the Regent pause. She couldn't think of a more honorable death for a warrior, dying in the defense of one's home.. but there was little shame in surviving, and that he was 'allowed' to live meant the battle was lost whether or not he died.

She wondered briefly how this would affect her daughter's view of their father and his home.. but then Umkhombo asked a question that demanded a very careful answer.

"Well, that answers one question I had, so there is something we should talk about," Agni answered, taking a seat, "Not long ago, Andhaka did me a favour and we never followed up on how that should affect the relationship between our prides. I guess this explains part of why."

She gave Umkhombo a look up and down. Fighting for the right for their lionesses to choose strong outsiders as sires, raising daughters in a pride that barely tolerated them, dealing with the absence of their newly appointed General as the Firekin finally reached beyond the desert.. she'd had a lot to do. And maybe it didn't matter that she had never sent word of their daughters, Andhaka may not have been there to hear about it.

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 am
Umkhombo would have been pleased to know he was doing well; he was used to handling his own people, both the Qyrhyeshti and the Bonelanders, but negotiating with an outside leader, a representative from another pride over which he had no authority...well, that was new, so treading carefully and considering his words were paramount. Their relationship with the Firekin wasn't something he wanted to see go south, let alone be responsible for ruining. What a fantastic start to his reign that would be.

Ears flicked forward curiously when Agni-pariksha mentioned thay Andhaka had done her a favor. What sort of favor, he wondered, could the previous Umholi have done for a Regent of the Firekin? He was intrigued, to say the least, although he would wait for her to reveal the nature of it rather than prying straightaway. "Likely so," he agreed. "I imagine he was also preoccuppied with the drought. I understand it became...very bad, and there were several losses."

He'd also been told that Bangizwe had begun to decline, to act out of character. Andhaka had had his paws full, from the sound of it.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm
Agni nodded at the remark about the drought. The desert lions were no stranger to a scarcity of water, they already had systems in place to avoid the worst of any drought. For a pride with such simple structure as theirs, and no history of such problems, it was no doubt a big problem.

She paused to consider how to explain what Andhaka had done for her but the historical cause and cultural context didn't matter so much as the facts. While she had been mildly disappointed not to bear any sons or huria, it might prove to be beneficial.

"I have cubs by Andhaka," she said bluntly, "Only daughters and all four are acceptable Firekin colors. You don't have to worry about Firekin-born sons coming to avenge their sire and there are no huria who will be seeking an outside home when they come of age. They may, but they won't be forced to leave the desert."

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am
As far as viable favors an Umholi could do for a Regent, that sounded...pretty well like one of the only ones, so on that level at least, it wasn't a surprise. And it made sense, if they were trying to tie the prides together more closely, or if Agni-pariksha lacked for suitable sires to whom she was not related which he understood was sometimes a problem for their desert-dwelling neighbors. He absorbed the information with a slow nod.

"That sounds like a litter even an Umzingeli would be happy to have." All females, no anomalies - exactly what the traditional Ithambo'hlabathi preferred. There had been a time, years and years ago, when red hadn't been viewed so favorably, but only a very old, very stubborn few still held on to that view. "If any of them were to choose to leave the desert, they would of course be welcome."

A pause, as he considered the implications of favor. Such things were usually meant to be reciprocated somehow. "If I might ask, what was the return favor? Or is that part of what you didn't have the opportunity to follow up on?"

Ecavi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 pm
The regent was pleased to hear they would still be welcomed here if they chose to leave the desert. She wasn't sure what the future held for her family, she expected with her raising them they would fight harder than anybody and prove they were better Firekin than the others before they'd just walk away from it all.. but you never really knew.

"The exact details of that were never worked out," she answered his question simply, "It mattered on the outcome of the litter, too. If we had sons or daughters who couldn't stay in the desert, it would have been easier to demonstrate our trust and properly share blood rather than just trade ambassadors.."

She wasn't much for ideas, a bit of shared blood between two large prides on its own wasn't much. Ideally, their daughters should end up split between the prides where they could be exemplary citizens of each.. as it was, there was no guarantee. Red was welcome in the Bonelands, but it was preferred in the Firekin...

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:10 am
Umkhombo nodded in understanding. So it had more or less been a 'good faith' situation, not an exchange so much as sharing. Except, since the whole of the litter had been acceptable by Firekin standards, it might well be that all of them would choose to stay in the desert. Why leave for the relatively unknown, when you could stay in the place and with the people that you knew? How much impact, if any, Andhaka having a few Firekin daughters would have on pridal relations, Umkhombo had no idea. It would depend, he supposed, on how much lingering loyalty there might be to his bloodline...or would develop in the future, when he and Bangizwe were looked back on with different eyes.

All things not worth saying allowed, at this point. "Speaking of ambassadors, perhaps we should consider changing them. Su and Machozi have been in place since Gakere and Surtak...and your previous Regents, as well."

There had been changes in both prides, and not just in leadership. Amd Umkhombo didn't see the wisdom in having a male ambassador for the Bonelands, anyway; if they were meant to represent the pride, none could do that better than a female. "Not today, of course but something to think on."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 pm
Agni looked surprised by the way the topic changed so readily to the topic of their ambassadors. It made sense, after her litter turned out too perfectly there wasn't much to discuss except in speculations for their futures and that wasn't necessarily productive. At least this was. Sort of.

"I agree," she said, suddenly seeing the immense wisdom in it. Su's parents were regents before her and Tapana took over, and though it had been completely voluntary, it didn't necessarily mean much. At least one kid of the past regents made sure they knew she didn't care for them at first.

"I'll discuss it with Tapana and the Council."

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Meepfur
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm
"I'll see if the Omama have any suggestions." Not that he hadn't already been considering this and many other things, but now that he'd said it, it had been lent more weight in his thoughts. He would see if the Omama had any insights, but ultimately, it would be his decision. There were no few factors to take into consideration, so it was worth taking the time to think through.

"Is there anything else you wish to discuss, while we're here?"

Ecavi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:10 pm
She couldn't remember what the Omama were but Agni was capable of keeping a straight face and nodding at his response. Context helped more than enough, and since there was no obvious answer to the question of ambassadors (and they had moved on so comfortably from the topic of her daughters), it seemed that conversation was closed.

"No, I think that will do," she said, smiling, "My daughters and I will probably visit the Outpost regularly. You know how to find me if something else comes up, or if you can think of a way for me to repay the favour of your predecessor."

Maybe the new Abaholi wouldn't care to collect on debts of the lions they chased away, but this had been a politically motivated stunt on the Regent's part from the beginning. With no sons to keep in line and no daughters expecting to move into the Bonelands, she'd have to find other ways to demonstrate her loyalty to this alliance.

If they were both lucky, they might never really need it.

Meepfur

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out