Quote:
This time of year, snow is common. What’s uncommon is the single, strange snowfall that glistened like tiny diamonds. Everything about the snow seemed normal—it’s cold, wet, and melts just like any other snow, it just also happens to look like tiny little gems are falling from the sky. Depending on who you’re with, it’s either incredibly strange, or incredibly romantic.

Going last minute holiday shopping with her younger siblings was a task that Sio had grown accustomed to over the years. Her parents often had parties and obligations to attend to, leaving their children in charge of tying up any "loose ends" they might have forgotten, like presents for their staff or back-up snacks in case of voracious mirthful appetites. Sio didn't mind, really, but it was a hassle keeping her energetic and easily distractable brother and sister out of trouble and, more importantly, out of the street.

"Harlow, please stay where I can see you!" Her voice calling out from behind an intimidating amount of paper bags currently being jostled in her arms. She couldn't fathom why her mother had wanted so many baguettes and jars of extra virgin olive oil, but there she was, looking like she were headed to an Italian circus tryout with the amount of juggling she was doing. The concept was amusing, but only in theory. She could barely see where she was going!

The sight of a bouncing head of green-colored curls to her side was the only inclination she had that she'd been heard and, with a heavy sigh of relief, she passed one of the bread bags off to her rosy-cheeked little sister. At least she could be thankful for one pair of helping hands somewhere around here, but the fact that there were supposed to be two had her puffing her cheeks out. Where had Sparrow wandered off to now?

It was only in recent years that her little brother had become a wanderer, and not one that Sio particularly liked. Harlow never stayed still and would only come back if called enough, but a younger Sparrow was a clinger. He hated not being able to see where Sio was and often cried if they were separated. Now, though, he seemed listless and disinterested in being anywhere near either of his sisters when they'd been so close just three years ago. This sudden change in behavior made her very worried. Was it just him becoming a teenager, or something more that he was hiding? How was she supposed to find out for certain without seeming like a worry-wart or imposing on his privacy? It was all very troubling.

Luckily, having Harlow skipping ahead of her gave her a second pair of eyes and the brooding teen was located standing just outside the store. Breathing in, Sio wandered out toward him.

"There you are! I was getting worried." She heaved, shuffling the bags a bit. "Could you take one or two of these? I would appreciate the help."

She waited, her breath puffing against the paper, and smiled when two of the bags were taken and she could see Sparrow's face. Smiling broadly, she extended a now-free arm out toward him.

"Thank you my darling baby brother who I love so very-very much!" She chimed, giggling as she was nudged away. "Aw, what's the matter? Too embarrassed to get a hug from your big sister?"

"No, just-" Sparrow stammered, his gaze not meeting Sio's. "-Whoa."

"Just whoa what?" Sio asked, squinting. "Is everything alright?"

"Sio, just... Look at the snow." Sparrow muttered, pointing a gloved finger out. "Is it just me or is it...Weird?"

"Weird?" Sio repeated, turning her gaze to the sky.

She didn't notice anything different at first, until she held her hand out and a perfect diamond-shaped clump of snow plopped down into her palm. It was followed by several more, all of which melted quickly into a puddle like normal, but that didn't change how strange it was. Snowflakes were supposed to be different, there was an entire metaphor built around that concept, but this was clearly a snowfall where every single snowflake was the same exact shape. All like tiny, glittering diamonds.

It seemed like an age that they stood there, all three siblings with their noses and eyes pinned straight to the sky, until Harlow gave a sneeze and pulled them back to Earth. They each gave one another a glance, sharing a silent agreement on how strange this was, and Sio allowed Sparrow and Harlow to lead the way home.

However, from time to time, Sio allowed herself to pause and watch again. The streets were quiet, everything seemed so normal and fine... But something deep inside ached and told her that something just wasn't right.

Word count: 720