”But that sketchy organization? They can take souls right out of peoples’ living bodies. And you know who almost crushed mine? Who nearly ripped it out of my chest and ate it? Elex Yorke.”

Those words kept playing over and over in his mind. For two days now he’d been unable to shake them. Sinopes voice was like a broken record playing, a song that you only knew one part to, and it haunted him with almost no reprieve. The only time he found solace was in his dancing, but that only lasted when he was fully immersed in what he was doing. Otherwise the questions and that infernal voice plagued him.

He needed to figure things out. Decide what bothered him about all of this and decide on a plan of action. Sitting around the house wasn't going to help matters as he felt better when moving, so donning his winter gear of a thick leather jacket, hair tucked up into a beanie, scarf and gloves, Rowan set out in pursuit of some much needed time alone. The only place he could think to go was the main park in the city. A quick drive later Rowan found himself parking swiftly enough. Few people were interested in visiting the park in such cold weather, especially considering snow had slowly begun to fall.

It didn’t take long for a light dusting to accumulate on the ground but rowan gave the precipitation no attention. Instead he walked, gloved hands hidden in pockets and head down as he stared at the ground. Each section of concrete subtly noted as he focused his mind on his problem at hand.

Firstly, why had Sinope felt the need to warn him? There was no camaraderie between them. Not as Rowan anyway. And even as Alrakis the Dark Mirror Senshi had seemed extremely selfish and interested in only himself. So what was he getting out of this? Was there some interest in Elex on his side? Perhaps a family enemy utilizing his powered identity to try and get an upper hand? An old lover? A wanna-be lover?

There were too many possibilities and Rowan didn’t know his informant enough to make any sort of valid guess at the intent.

That left the information given. Could he trust what Sinope said? The way he depicted the pain of starseeding and the look in his eyes said yes. So, if Rowan pushed away all his doubt and went on gut instinct, he next needed to ask himself why this information bothered him. So far, his own experiences with the Negaverse, while not all perfect, had more good interactions than bad. Elex being part of their ranks...was it a matter of being on opposite sides? That Rowan himself hadn’t come to a conclusion yet on the war at hand? Maybe elex had and sold himself to a side that may, or may not, be wrong?

No. There was more than that. Were they the reason their time together was so short each time they met? Or was that all just completely unconnected and there was more going on?

Obviously something is going on but I don’t know what.

Something caught his attention and Rowan stopped in his tracks. Eyes shifted from their persistent, non-focused stare on the ground to the world around him as, what looked like gems, were falling from the sky like snow. It was...terribly peculiar but utterly entrancing. They glittered in the lights that lined the main walkway of the park and the whole night became magical in its appearance.

So delicate, lovely, and mesmerizing. Rowan feared holding out his hand that they might melt upon impact.

Eyes widened with realization.

Rowan was worried. Worried that this...this implication may come between him and Elex. Another thing, what if...what if they met out there? Rowan would never know it was Elex and the thought of purposely yet unintentionally injuring him was concerning. No. Heart wrenching.

Rowan had fallen for Elex harder than he’d thought. He needed to know. Somehow. He needed to know if this was real or some trick set up by Sinope for some odd gain. But what could he do?

Stewing over this isn’t going to help. I am better off just confronting him about it. If I word it right, I can sound like I’ve no clue what this organization is or called. Give no hint that I have any clue about starseeds, souls and energy.

That left tackling his other curiosity, the time limit that seemed to be so important to Elex. That was easy enough to approach. Making plans that exceeded their usual time together would bring up that subject easily enough.

It was a general plan. Perhaps weak, but something. Something to make him feel like he’s moving towards answers.

The snow around his continued to fall like diamonds from the sky. As odd as it was, Rowan found himself not bothering to question it. He had other, more pressing matters to worry about and why the snow looked the way it did and didn’t feel painful upon contact was not something he could even come close to answering. Instead, he opted to just enjoy it as he turned on heel to follow his covered tracks back through the park and towards his parked car.

WC: 859 (not counting quote at top)

Quote:
This time of year, snow is common. What’s uncommon is the single, strange snowfall that glistened like tiny diamonds. Everything about the snow seemed normal—it’s cold, wet, and melts just like any other snow, it just also happens to look like tiny little gems are falling from the sky. Depending on who you’re with, it’s either incredibly strange, or incredibly romantic.