[PRP] Winter Complaint (Sylfie/Renose) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 pm
It is cold. The young gold's observation was tinged with disapproval and even offense as she set foot on High Reaches' first snow of the winter, which also happened to be Hesperith's first snow ever. She had hatched at Ista, and after graduating had lived contentedly in southern Nerat, so in her whole almost-four Turns, she had never encountered truly cold weather at all prior to arriving at the northern Weyr, and certainly not snow! At first, she'd been thrilled at the prospect, landscape as far as the eye could see cloaked in a soft white blanket, and the visual did not disappoint: it was beautiful! But the air leading up to it had been and still was frigid, and the snow itself was...it was so cold! It put quite a damper on her plans to pose herself against it while she sunned in just such a way that the handsomest males wouldn't be able to help but to notice her and at the very least comment, if not visit with her for awhile.

But the snow had ruined that! Ruined that with its coldness! Her eyes whirled orange and gray, but while she very much wanted to fly back to her ledge, she would not be seen to be distressed! This snow would not get the better of her. She took a deep breath, and with it, another step, then another, tail snaking unsteady patterns behind her.

Sylfie, appropriately bundled up for such weather, rolled her eyes at her partner's overdramatic thoughts. I did tell you it would get cold here, you silly thing, and you said you'd like that.

I recall no such thing, she insisted with a sniff, although they both knew that was a lie.

houllow
Okay so...not actually backdated, really. It would be about the morning after the current High Reaches ORP.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm
Renose's feelings regarding snow, as his feelings with much else in his life, were mixed at best. He liked the idea of snow and the general sight of it, but the clean up that came from the melted waters left behind once the soft white entered somewhere hot? He'd rather have to kiss a wherry than clean up yet another puddle trail left by someone who didn't bother knocking their boots clean. He also liked the general sight and smell of snow, that clear and crisp sensation that left your nose tingling and your eyes bright, but everything else?

Puddles, mate.

Today, however, had him outside in the first snow of the season despite all the misgivings he had over making sure no precious ranking rider would slip later on the water left behind. There was something beautiful about the first of anything - snow, buds on trees, rolls yanked from the oven - he could go on, really, but movement to his right caught his eyes. Someone up this early, after all that adventure and merrymaking the previous night? Renose didn't really recognize the person, let alone the massive hulking golden sparkle lurking beside them, and a frown pressed itself to his lips. He'd thought he'd gotten the names and faces of everyone magical sunshine rider in the Weyr, but perhaps he was mistaken. If he was, which no one ever needed to know, it needed remedied. Now.

But how? Shouting? Throwing something? Casually walking up and then throwing something? Renose continued to ponder his choices, oblivious of the fact he'd managed to halt his stroll directly in their line of sight, where they to simply turn and look.

Meepfur
iveneverreallyproperlyrpedsoiamsosorrypleaseforgiveme

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am
We have company, Mine. Hesperith, always keen for an audience if any size, was the first to notice the Candidate standing out in the snow, watching her progress into the bowl.  Green filtered into her eyes, replacing the orange, and she slowed her trek to a halt and altered her bearing: shoulders lifted, neck craned and wings angled just so, forked tail sweeping through the snow to curl closer to her body.  He was not quite one of the strapping suitors she had hoped for, but he would do for now.

Truth be told, they had 'company' a bit more often now than Sylfie would have preferred; the adjustment to Weyr life from farm life was proving to be a long and frustrating process, and she sometimes resented their decision to affiliate.  She wouldn't have changed it, they did have a responsibility, but suffice to say she wasn't enjoying herself.  In spite of the fact that she wasn't delighted by the prospect of meeting yet another new someone, she was relieved that they didn't have a dragon attached to them.  Just a normal person, thank Faranth.  She raised a hand in a casual wave, accompanied by a greeting that would only just be audible across the distance between them, "'lo."

houllow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 pm
The element of surprise had been clearly lost, not that Renose had been expecting it with a massive gold dragon able to see nearly everything about, but that didn't mean he needed to sulk. Whomever this shiny rider was seemed friendly enough, given by the pause of the pair and her salutation towards him, and so Renose returned in kind while taking the chance to walk towards them. The gold had green eyes, and if the lessons being hammered into his unwilling head meant anything at all, green was good.

Or at least better than a handful of other colors, but Faranth it was still early and he wasn't here to learn. He'd been here to do....something, but it certainly wasn't to learn. Snowballs were still an option.

"Hello to you. You're up pretty early to be out in this cold, the both of you. Last night not keep you out long?" The way he spoke was casual as he approached, the wide grin on his face showing no ill intentions or hidden wants. The jacket he had haphazardly pulled about his shoulders got a bit of a tug as he slowed his walk, and he stopped within handshaking distance of the pair. Following protocol had never been his thing, and Renose wasn't about to treat this not-stranger-stranger super amazing just because the dragon she sat on happened to be the color of money.

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:58 pm
"Last night?" Sylfie puzzled over the casual question for a moment, as it was hardly an inquiry one usually received from a stranger. Even if they had been out late - which they had not - surely the Candidate wouldn't have a way of...oh. Oh. Realization dawned on her, accompanied by a self-conscious breath of laughter. And if there was color on her cheeks, well, it was cold. "Oh, the party! Ah, no, we didn't go."

We should have, Hesperith pouted to her with a sigh. I'm sure everyone who didn't go to Western was there. The invitation came from Fianth herself, after all.

You could have just gone without me. You're a big girl.

I may want to socialize, but you're the one who needs to, the gold pushed.

Maybe, but I'm not jumping headfirst into Weyr parties. Faranth knows my goldrider etiquette can't possibly be up to par. And she was letting her dragon distract her, and now there had probably been an awkward pause, and...yeah, it was a good thing she hadn't let Hesperith drag her to the party.

houllow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:28 pm
Renose had started to answer when he noticed an all-too-familiar blank look come across this newcomers face. The teen liked to call it the "voice in my head" expression, but he'd honestly never say it out loud.

Not in front of people he didn't know.

More than once.

"Ha! That makes two of us, though I'm little more surprised that you didn't make a show. Rubbing elbows with the higher ups not quite your thing?" He probably should have watched his tone, watched his words, but any class he had was beneath him for caring. "Fancy events like that aren't quite my thing, not just because I'm a 'lowly' candidate. I just don't like kowtowing in something organized." The idea of a last minute party, thrown together while walking to the venue, was far more exciting and fun. People getting pulled along, people joining in. No ranks, no fancy clothes - just end it with a brawl and Renose considered it a super success.

With a shift in posture, Renose held his hand out towards the young woman before him. "Name's Renose, and you are....?" He knew her name.

Maybe. It was clearly on the tip of his tongue, really.

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm
"Not really," she confirmed with a shake of her head, not offended by his tone in the least. It was real, and normal, and welcome. Socializing in general might not be her strong suit, might leave her vastly uncomfortable and fishing for words, but she'd rather the 'lowly' sorts to the higher-ups and the accompanying political mire. "I've...never been to a Weyr party that wasn't a Hatching Feast, and that was, well, Ista and before everything got..." Threaded? No, that was terrible, that sounded completely daft. "Before Thread came back. So they weren't really a big to-do?"

Inwardly, Sylfie cringed at herself. That hadn't sounded all that much better than what she'd stopped herself from saying, and she was probably making it very obvious that there was good reason she'd not been rubbing elbows at the party. If she had this much trouble with a candidate... Who was holding his hand out now. Oh. She extended her own to grasp it, half a beat late. "Sylfie. And this is Hesperith."

The gold crooned pleasantly at the young man. Hers was unpolished, to say the least, but she was trying, and so she remained in quiet support rather than nudging or correcting.

houllow
such slow tag. ;; sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 pm
"Nice to meet the two of you. I hope you both stick around, it's nice to have fresh air in a stale Weyr." Renose really shouldn't have been talking about High Reaches in the way he was, but where was the lie? Tradition was all well and good, considering it made the Reaches the most prepared for the return of Thread, but at the same time it prevented new growth. Renose liked the idea of people who weren't used to the traditions and rules being here, as sometimes they could stir the waters.

A glance up at the Gold had Renose narrowing his eyes. She was bright against the early light, and quite beautiful. Her vocalization was more than welcome, more or less giving her more positive notes in Renose's book. He would judge, quietly, but ultimately forget what he'd been doing and just accept these two as new friends. "Hesperith, you're awfully pretty aren't you?" His compliment slipped out naturally, and he turned his gaze back to Sylfie. "High Reaches must be night and day compared to Ista. Are you freezing to death?"

It was small talk, sure, and Renose was still debating pelting the pair with snowballs as he ran away. Sure they knew his name, but....no, they knew his name. Shards.

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:59 pm
"Well, we um...we're here for awhile, probably," Sylfie supplied, although it was likely Renose was only giving pleasantries and did not, in fact, need a reassurance that she and Hesperith were going to stay. But, then again, another gold meant another clutching dragon, and those were fairly important for candidates, so... "I mean, not that we're planning to go anywhere anytime soon, or anything. We did say we'd stay, after all." Even if this was not in any way Sylfie's ideal Weyr, whether in regards to climate or politics, it was the best prepared, and where they would get the best training. The basics of dragoncare were one thing, most everything else...they were woefully behind on and still trying to catch up. In the company of Weyrlings, at times.

After her awkward stumblings about staying, she was quite happy to latch on to talk about the temperature. That was an easier and safer topic! "Faranth, yes! This is our first snow, and...well, it's pretty, but...it's sort of awful."

Hesperith thrummed with pleasure at the young man's compliment, tail curling and chin lifting. You are a gentleman of excellent taste.

houllow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm
Renose beamed at the gold dragon, pleased as punch that she seemed to accept his compliment. He did like gold dragons, if not what they stood for per say, and so it was easier to dislike an entire system of steps and ladders rather than individual beings. Plus she really was pretty, and Sylfie seemed nice enough as well. The way she apparently stepped all over herself while talking was mildly endearing, if not easily exploitable.

Not that he was thinking that far ahead, mind you. Not that he was thinking that way at all. Moving on.

"I was born and raised here and I'll tell you this - it doesn't really get any better. We've had some turns where it wasn't quite as cold, I think, can't really remember because I didn't care at the time, but mostly it's cold and wet and dreary. Makes you long for heat, and then when the heat gets here everyone whines and wishes for the cold." The teen shrugged. "Not much to do around this time usually, but with Thread at least people have some options to pass the time, other than...I guess what people normally do when it's dark and cold." There were going to be a lot of late season babies next Turn, probably.

Renose really didn't have any idea, but he continued on anyway and didn't care if he was boring his conversation companion. "The pretty thing is true, except when it's tracked indoors and you have to clean the puddles. Or it gets down your clothes, and you wonder why your shirt is wet when you pull it off."

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 pm
"Hot is fine. Hot is so much better," Sylfie said with shiver. No one was ever going to catch her wishing for this sort of weather, no way! "We came up from Nerat, so this is...I've never been anywhere near this cold before. I mean, unless you count between, but that's just for a second, so it's not...not really the same." This was persistent, and awful, and she hated it and wanted to go home.

Far from bored (it was difficult for her to be bored no matter who was talking to her or what about, since she was almost guaranteed to spend the whole conversation on edge regardless because people and talking), she listened readily to everything Renose had to say. And the more he talked, the less she had to, theoretically. Or at least she got longer gaps between when she had to find something to say. While he listed some of the annoyances that went along with snow, she scuffed her foot through the stuff, frowning at it. "I'll...try to kick it off before I go in, then. Wouldn't wanna make more work for anyone."

What trouble is a little puddle, Mine? Hesperith traced a claw through the snow, scooping some up with her forefoot to watch it melt. I doubt anyone would even know if it was you who tracked it in.

houllow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm
"I'm hoping I can go somewhere hot soon, but I don't really know why or how that'd even happen." Renose shrugged, both in thought and against the encroaching cold. While this conversation certainly wasn't a bad thing, it also certainly wasn't getting any warmer outside, even with the sun shining overhead. Still, company was company and that was enough to keep him out and away from the roar of a nice fire. For now. "I don't think I've ever experienced between, if I'm being honest. I've never left this Weyr, even to attend another hatching."

There had been a chance for Renose to go to one in the later fall, but...well. The less said about why he didn't go, the better. "As for kicking it off, it'd help. I don't mean to make you feel self-conscious or anything, it's just better for everyone involved if there aren't puddles." He meant himself 100%, but he figured maybe a few scattered candidates here and there would appreciate less mess too. "It's not just snow that makes it hard. Rain, other things. Sometimes I think the grounds just don't want to stay clean." He watched the dragon scoop some snow into her claws, and he grinned. "You won't think it's so interesting after a while, I think. The novelty quickly wears off."

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:00 pm
While Sylfie was cold and hating it, not for a moment did it occur to her to move their conversation inside; she was much too focused on the conversation itself, and on what to say and how to say it, to have much room for other thoughts. "You're a weyrbrat, then?" It was an awfully inane question with an obvious answer, but that was what came to mind and what came out, and she hurried to follow it with a less dim one. "Do candidates get exchanged often?"

She'd found it a bit surprising two fairly well-populated Weyrs would swap candidates when, well, they were well-populated. Not like before Thread had returned, when there would be an unexpected clutch somewhere smaller and less prepared. But what did she know? Of course, there was also the question of why Renose hadn't gone to Western for the Hatching, but he was hardly the only one. Some wanted to stay at High Reaches - Faranth only knew why - and from the sound of things, there were no few who found the idea of such 'defection' by others offensive, for whatever reason. So she didn't ask. That was probably a bad topic for a first meeting.

Puddles were safer. "I'll...I'll do that, then," she promised. Although, like Hesperith said, no one would know, but she felt like someone would, and besides, she hated to be an inconvenience.

Beside her, the gold made a thoughtful sound. I imagine it does.

houllow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 pm
Renose was pretty sure he'd previously said born and raised when talking about himself, which answered the weyrbrat question, but the teen absolutely did not mind talking about himself. Honestly, talking about himself was one of his favorite subjects. "Yep, I'm a Weyrbrat. Not exactly sure who my parents are, though there's a lady who looks like me and I think I might have an older sibling running around. For the most part I was raised in the creche, with everyone else." It had been an interesting childhood and well that was it. No need for important flashbacks, no need for him to wax longingly on days gone by. He was here, in the present, talking to a Goldrider and shards above it was so cold.

"As for exchanges, I guess? It probably depends on the relationship each Weyr has and what they need - I mean I know girls get shuttled around like crazy when there's a Gold egg on the sands and what not. What Weyr wouldn't want to have all the shine?" Er, he needed to amend that, probably, but he didn't. "With Thread back, Golds are valuable. You are valuable, or is that not why you came here? To learn more and be ready for when Hesperith is ready to clutch?" Shells, he'd likely never need to know that so what was the use in stressing? If Renose Impressed he'd impress, but otherwise it looked like being a candidate was all he had to offer.

After thinking, Renose raised an eyebrow. "Not going to ask how I got the luck to not be at Western for that event?" He really liked talking about himself.

Meepfur

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:16 pm
It was very likely that later, while going over this interaction in her head, she would realize what a redundant question she had asked, but in the moment, it was the first conversation-appropriate thing that had come to mind. For now, she continued obliviously - and awkwardly - on.

"We're not really- I mean, we're not here because we're...because we think we're valuable," she replied, flushing - while Hesperith asserted to her Yes we are!. "Well, I guess we...technically are, but we don't want to be important, or anything. We do know what to do, with clutching and all that, Hes has had one before, but all the other goldrider stuff is...new." Politics, flamethrowers, all sorts of things she'd been perfectly happy knowing nothing about.

"I, um. Didn't want to be impolite, but I was wondering why you didn't go," she admitted.

houllow

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces