Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:44 pm
Kind of sucks for an unschooling family.

People are constantly telling my kids they should go to school stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 am
unschooling? like, they're home schooled?  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 am
Unschooling is a type of homeschooling. We just don't do "school". Our day isn't divided between "educational school stuff" and "fun" stuff. Every moment is a learning opportunity and we follow their passions and interests and try to provide them with the means to learn about those subjects  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 am
Example: Yesterday was Saturday. Both my girls ended up wanting to do a few worksheets in their workbooks. Olivia did a few phonics and Alex wanted to do some math ones. Then we played outside and our neighbor who has pet snakes came out and they got to hold and pet them and learned about snakes. We came inside and they did a science experiment from their science kit. They helped us cook dinner and got to do the measuring. We decorated the Christmas tree. They played on their Kindles which has a lot of reading and things involved. They also colored, played dolls, built with blocks, and played with the play kitchen. We read a few books and watched some movies too.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:55 am
Sounds like a good approach to me. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 am
It's basically just a more organic natural approach to learning rather than dividing the day by subjects and schedules  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 am
Wow, that sounds like a really good approach to learning. It seems like you would have way more fun learning everything and it would actually be more likely to teach your kids actual life skills instead of just a bunch of 1+1=2 type of dealies. Shame on your neighborhood for shaming the way you teach your children.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:48 am
wolf_with_a_dragon
Wow, that sounds like a really good approach to learning. It seems like you would have way more fun learning everything and it would actually be more likely to teach your kids actual life skills instead of just a bunch of 1+1=2 type of dealies. Shame on your neighborhood for shaming the way you teach your children.

They don't shame us at all. But if we're at the store a cashier will as what grade they are in, and they'll say that they are not in school. "But don't you want to go to school to learn stuff?"

Olivia usually says, "I do learn things. I don't need to sit in a desk to do it"

Also if they decide they DO want to go to school that's cool. It's their choice  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 am
Mama Ame
wolf_with_a_dragon

They don't shame us at all. But if we're at the store a cashier will as what grade they are in, and they'll say that they are not in school. "But don't you want to go to school to learn stuff?"

Olivia usually says, "I do learn things. I don't need to sit in a desk to do it"

Also if they decide they DO want to go to school that's cool. It's their choice

Ah, okay. I read that they say your kids should be in school and I pictured them shaming you and them. But that's still cool the way you teach them and even cooler that it's their choice whether or not they go to school.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm
i was homeschooled for a year but in our state u had to take standardized tests to prove i was keeping up with my grade level and that was not fun

especially when it came to math rolleyes  

beaulolais

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm
That sucks. Some states are really hard to homeschool in. My state is super super easy though.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 pm
beaulolais
i was homeschooled for a year but in our state u had to take standardized tests to prove i was keeping up with my grade level and that was not fun

especially when it came to math rolleyes

They ended up making the standardized test a requirement in order to graduate from high school around here. I was so glad I was graduating from high school before they implemented it.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 am
Standardized testing is just for schools to get better funding. It in no way shows what a kid actually knows. Other than math I was a good student. I made As and Bs. Taking a standardized test? I always did awful because half of the test I was nervous and the other half I was bored.

Standardized testing here is encouraged but not required. Unless for some reason they want to take them they won't be.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 pm
Mama Ame
Standardized testing is just for schools to get better funding. It in no way shows what a kid actually knows. Other than math I was a good student. I made As and Bs. Taking a standardized test? I always did awful because half of the test I was nervous and the other half I was bored.

Standardized testing here is encouraged but not required. Unless for some reason they want to take them they won't be.

What I hated about the standard testing - at least the ones we took - it always ended up having some questions about things we hadn't covered in any of the classes at that point. Which might have been something the school system may have realized because you could quickly see a change in the class agendas where they were focusing more towards "training" you to pass the test than just focusing on actually teaching you something useful.

It's one of the reasons why I ended up enjoying college more than any of my public school classes. I got to choose subjects I enjoyed learning about and didn't feel like I constantly being taught the same cookie-cut information over and over and over again. xp  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

beaulolais

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 am
Mama Ame

absolutely! math anxiety is a very real thing. once i am away from the classroom i can handle daily challenges of quantities, ratios and progressions quite easily, but once i sit down at that desk....no way! @@;;  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games