Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion
What Made You an Anime / Manga Fan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 pm
One of the things that we all share in this Guild is our Love of Anime and or Manga. I'm curious as to what was the one series that really got you hooked and made you want to read or see more.

Like many of you I watched a number of different series before I became a big fan of Anime / Manga. For me the series early on that made me excited to see more of week after week was Yu-Gi-Oh! I watched it every Saturday Morning.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:40 am
Akazukin Cha Cha got me started on watching Anime. I remembered my family signed up for cable TV many years ago and we have a channel which showed animes at certain times.
Of all series, seriously. But I LOVE IT.
Then I started to Yahoo! (I didn't know Google haha) other series and bye bye reality.  

MoopyKi

Questionable Member

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am
I'm not really an anime fan to be honest.

I mean I like anime, but I didn't get into it for the sake of it being anime. I'm always after a good story really, but my true fandom lies with medieval fantasies such as the Lord of the Rings and the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 am
I think Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon animes made me an anime fan. They were on TV in my country in the late '90s, but I didn't know they are animes. But I loved them so much, so I think that was the trigger. smile  

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 am
Alice Morrison
I think Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon animes made me an anime fan. They were on TV in my country in the late '90s, but I didn't know they are animes. But I loved them so much, so I think that was the trigger. smile

To this day my Brothers favorite Anime is Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z. We even met one of the writers for the series at a convention. For me one of my all time favorite Anime / Manga series is Sailor Moon. smile It's really cool that both of the series were seen on TV in your Country.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 am
smithers456
Alice Morrison

To this day my Brothers favorite Anime is Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z. We even met one of the writers for the series at a convention. For me one of my all time favorite Anime / Manga series is Sailor Moon. smile It's really cool that both of the series were seen on TV in your Country.

Yes, but Sailor Moon had a horrible hungarian dub (I'm from Hungary). Plus since we bought the french version, the names were french also. And they made Haruka a boy with the name Frederick! Since I didn't know Sailor Uranus is a girl, I was shocked when I saw the anime with the original names years later. Even in the TV-program was the anime written as French Cartoon in my country. I think nobody knew it's japanese or they didn't mind at all.
Dragon Ball was "French Cartoon" in my country too, but at least the translation and hungarian dub was great.  

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 am
Alice Morrison
smithers456
Alice Morrison

Yes, but Sailor Moon had a horrible hungarian dub (I'm from Hungary). Plus since we bought the french version, the names were french also. And they made Haruka a boy with the name Frederick! Since I didn't know Sailor Uranus is a girl, I was shocked when I saw the anime with the original names years later. Even in the TV-program was the anime written as French Cartoon in my country. I think nobody knew it's japanese or they didn't mind at all.
Dragon Ball was "French Cartoon" in my country too, but at least the translation and hungarian dub was great.

Wow that's amazing about Haruka. I would Love to watch the French version of Sailor Moon and hear the characters speaking in French. Sailor Moon S is my favorite season of the series.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 am
smithers456

Wow that's amazing about Haruka. I would Love to watch the French version of Sailor Moon and hear the characters speaking in French. Sailor Moon S is my favorite season of the series.

I didn't hear the french only the hungarian dub of Sailor Moon. But that was more than enough. I only know the french dub of Dragon Ball, but that was... worse than horrible.  

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm
Alice Morrison
smithers456

I didn't hear the french only the hungarian dub of Sailor Moon. But that was more than enough. I only know the french dub of Dragon Ball, but that was... worse than horrible.

I've only heard the English Dub of both series. I wonder how many languages they have dubs of.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 am
smithers456

I've only heard the English Dub of both series. I wonder how many languages they have dubs of.

For Dragon Ball, the English dub was quite good. But I hated Sailor Moon's English voices. And they changed the names also. German dub was great, I saw both with German dub too. German people can make awesome dubs for animes.

Anyway, the first anime I saw with original voices was Ayashi no Ceres in 2003. One of my hungarian penpal borrowed it to me on CDs. It was awesome, both the story, the art and the voices. I fall in love with japanese language.  

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am
If we talk about DragonBall, a hungarian fandub group made the hungarian version of the second opening of Dragon Ball Z. It's amazing! The guy - his name is Rudy - has an awesome voice. Even if you don't understand it, I hope you'll enjoy it. smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:59 am
Alice Morrison
If we talk about DragonBall, a hungarian fandub group made the hungarian version of the second opening of Dragon Ball Z. It's amazing! The guy - his name is Rudy - has an awesome voice. Even if you don't understand it, I hope you'll enjoy it. smile

That's really cool that a fandub group did the Hungarian version. I will have to check it out and I hope that some of our other Guild Members do as well. Thanks for sharing.

As for Sailor Moon when I bought the first two seasons on DVD of it in Japanese I fell in Love with the series all over again. It inspired me to get even deeper into Anime and I couldn't wait to listen to other Anime's in Japanese. I even sing along with Anime opening and closing songs. I Love to hear the Japanese language.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Cute Apple Pie-chan

Friendly Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am
I don't buy any anime DVDs. In Hungary you can't find a lot of animes on DVD. And if yes, they are very expensive. Plus I live on the countryside, and here you can't buy even mangas either. A few years ago I saw two Naruto mangas (I don't like Naruto) between the Children Books. They were hidden so well, that nobody would find them. Maybe that's why they hide it there. In Hungay you can't really buy manga and I don't even mind. The translations are mostly horrible and the prices are too high to buy. No wonder the publishing dropped drastically since nobody buys them.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Cute Apple Pie-chan
I don't buy any anime DVDs. In Hungary you can't find a lot of animes on DVD. And if yes, they are very expensive. Plus I live on the countryside, and here you can't buy even mangas either. A few years ago I saw two Naruto mangas (I don't like Naruto) between the Children Books. They were hidden so well, that nobody would find them. Maybe that's why they hide it there. In Hungay you can't really buy manga and I don't even mind. The translations are mostly horrible and the prices are too high to buy. No wonder the publishing dropped drastically since nobody buys them.

You're from Hungary? That's pretty cool. I know anime is really popular in Northern Europe, but what is the scene like there?  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers