The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am
It was strange having a class so small. The personal attention Sh'shi could give each of them meant that none were slipping through the cracks. Now she always tried to ensure that each pair got enough personal attention to ensure they were thriving, but with only eight charges Sh'shi was finding herself with a surplus of time. It didn't take as long to teach eight teenagers something that it did a class of over twenty of varying ages. On the plus side it meant that Sh'shi was very confident in her current class knowing everything they needed by the time it was necessary. However, she couldn't pretend that this didn't mean there weren't risks. If the spare time wasn't filled with something then her charges would get restless and then probably start experimenting. Experimenting had an unfortunate habit of getting weyrlings killed.

Fortunately for now at least their dragons slept almost all day and were too preoccupied with their stomachs and itchy hide when they were awake for too much mischief to take place. They'd had over a month to get used to things; having another person in your head could be stressful. Now she needed to ensure that they understood the full scope of the world they were a part of. Ideally they'd know before bonding, but impression had a way of changing the way people saw things. Sh'shi stood in the class room, waiting for her charges to arrive from their midday break. The hatchlings would likely be thoroughly asleep after their morning feeds and washes, so hopefully they could have a productive conversation. She cast an eye around the room to ensure it was orderly. Chalk for the blackboard, check. Tables and chairs orderly, check. It wasn't hard to keep the barracks clean these days.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 am
I'sko had left Deldowth asleep out in the sun. His dragon seemed to never have enough to eat, enough meat on his bones. It worried the brown rider but several riders and Sh'shi had reassured him that all dragons grew differently. It was okay for the brown to be lean and limbs. He still worried about the sickness in the back of his mind. Of course, it wasn't the best thing to talk about with others... Especially with lessons so detailed and the fact that there was no real down time except for sleep.

It chafed at him. He wasn't the biggest fan of constantly being around others. At home... his former home, everyone had tasks. Tasks that could be done without talking or be done by yourself. Still, it was nice to feel like part of something greater, even if that greatness wasn't guaranteed. Nodding respectfully to Sh'shi as he reentered the classroom, I'sko spoke, his deep voice quiet and precise. "Hello again, ma'am." He moved quickly to take his seat towards the back.

````````````````

E'dal was whistling as he walked. And why not? He liked to whistle and when the mood suited him, he could carry a decent tone as well. He had coaxed Wanjouth into eating a little more than normal. Not so much to hurt her belly but enough that she would be sleeping off the digestion for a while. She still seemed very babyish though she didn't have the pudge that some of her clutch mates had. It worried her to be so tiny and she was afraid that she wouldn't be able to carry her rider.

E'dal had laughed and told her she still had time to grow into her wings and legs. HE believed that no matter what, keeping the worry of sickness and accident as far in the back of his mind as possible. Waving to Sh'shi and I'sko as he entered, he took a seat towards the middle of the room. Best place to observe from and interact with the others.

Faerie Princess Meeka

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:16 pm
The routine of Weyrlinghood was better than the routine of candidacy; she didn't like the chores or lessons any better so far but Lith made it all worthwhile and the green's drive kept her going even when she was sleeping. Shirking lessons definitely wasn't an option and so V' sauntered into the classroom on time with Brute draped around her shoulders. "Afternoon," she greeted the room in general, only two people here so far but they were only eight in total so now she'd arrived nearly half the class was present.

After a moment of deliberation V' flopped down at the desk to E'dal's right and glanced up at the blackboard with a slight frown; while she could read now she still only read slowly and had to spell big words out to herself as she went so she was never the biggest fan of the big black space that soon seemed all too full of white writing.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 pm
M'li had carefully tended to her dragon's needs before her midday meal. Starelth had been fed and carefully bathed and oiled. Then she'd stayed by her side until the dragon had settled and quickly fallen asleep. That had left her just enough time to get a shower for herself and lunch. She didn't linger over her lunch as she might have if they hadn't had a lesson right after.

At the appointed time, she headed to the classroom appointed for this particular lesson. Several had already beaten her here. She noted I'sko, E'dal, and V' already in the room. M'li waved to Sh'shi and plopped into a seat in the middle of the class; on E'dal's other side across from V'. "Good afternoon guys. What did you think of that lunch? The stew was delicious!"  

magnadearel

Faerie Princess Meeka

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:00 pm
E'dal grinned as V' and then M'li sat down on either side of him. He loved being around people and truly felt energized after verbally sparring or picking at someone's mind. A trait he got from both his parents, or so F'liel told him. "Hello again fellow weyrlings. Hope everyone's bottomless beasts are doing well." Turning to M'li, he nodded. "The stew was pretty good, if not the best choice for a warm day. But a little stew can go a long way to feed our bellies as well."

He wondered what today's lessons would be about as he looked about for his writing stick. He had taken to carrying a rubbing stone with funny yellow flecks in it to keep himself occupied and his mind from wandering when lessons turned drab. "Hopefully, before long, our minds will be full as well, if not aching from it all."

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:07 pm
I'sko came in first. Not especially surprising. Sh'shi returned his nod and watched as he took a seat at the back. In any other class it wouldn't be so noticeable, but the classroom was designed to fit thirty or more weyrlings. So the distances just seemed all the greater. Sh'shi worried about the lad choosing to separate himself from the others to the extent that he did. Having his dragon was all well and good, but he would need to interact with other riders to some degree. Learning how to do it in a work setting would be beneficial, even if he never chose to do it personally. The others filtered in and Sh'shi returned pleasantries, a nod for a nod, a small motion of her hand for a wave. When the class was assembled she cleared her throat to silence any chatter that had arisen.

"Today, we are going to be discussing the rankings within the Weyr and the responsibilities that come with those ranks. This is especially important for any of those of you with high aspirations, best to understand a role before you aspire to it. However, this is information that you will all need to know as, like it or not, you are each part of the Weyr and will have responsibilities other than just your dragon. On that note, I'sko, would you like to join the rest of the class?" Sh'shi looked at the lad, but didn't hold the moment. There was no benefit to challenging the brownrider in front of the class. He would either come forward and engage or stay at the back. The Weyrlingmaster had no intention of forcing him. Turning to the blackboard she picked up a piece of chalk.

"Now, let's see what you already know. Tell me a rank and where you think it goes and I'll write it on the board. Together we should be able to hash out who is responsible for what. Then we'll discuss responsibilities more in depth. Who'd like to go first?"  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Faerie Princess Meeka

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:45 pm
I'sko had settled into his seat. He liked his seat. It gave him a chance to observe everyone and be able to concentrate on the lesson as well. So far, they hadn't really done any group work which meant that the answers he gave when he raised his hand, had been on his own accord.

And then, Sh'shi asked him to move forward. He wasn't going to say no. It was his elder, his higher ranked teacher more telling-asking than asking-asking him to do something. He chafed a little about being singled out and the others looking at him. But he could handle it. I'sko had had this conversation with Deldowth before about becoming a part of the team. They were weyrlings of Fort now. He had to be a part of the team. "Yes, ma'am," I'sko replied as he got up and quietly moved forward. Where to sit? Not next to those who would distract him but perhaps to the side. So he moved closer, a few seats to the left of V' and focused on what Sh'shi had asked. Ranks... Okay...

"What about your rank, Sh'shi? I would think yours would be rather high up as the instructor of new riders and dragons."

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:52 am
"Shaffing delicious whatever the weather," V' agreed with M'li and gave a sharp-looking grin. "I'll never get over how well weyrfolk eat." She kept wanting to snap at M'li because they'd disagreed in the past but even she could see it was dumb to go at her for no reason; if they agreed on food then they agreed on food.

Lesson time though, and... Well this was something she was interested in, and it didn't sound like there'd be too much writing so she just frowned in concentration as Sh'shi spoke instead of scowling.

"That's not an answer I'sko," V' put in dismissively when the lad spoke up. "She asked us to place them, not tell her we think she's somewhere high up but not where. Start at the top, makes sense; Weyrwoman and Weyrleader."  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Faerie Princess Meeka

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:21 pm
"Not everyone cared about Weyr rank until they were forced to deal with it. I don't know about these labels or ranks dealing with this place other than I am at the bottom of it and have to work my way up," I'sko snapped. It was unlike him and the display of temper was probably something for gossip later. It was one of the reasons he avoided such discussion.

"You want to know about the hold, I can give you those ranks. At least the ones in my hold. You have the Lord Holder and his Lady. After that, there are Masters and the Lord Holder's Steward." I'sko glared, angry to be put on the spot even more. Deldowth had woken up and was slightly alarmed.

Calm down, I'sko. V's being prickly. She is always prickly, you know that. Don't let her get you worked up over a little lesson. Deldowth privately reassured his rider. The brown was awake now and interested in the lesson. Do you know more, if not then give others a turn.

I'sko made a noise and looked down at the floor, away from the others. He was upset now that he had lost his temper, Deldowth was chiding him, and he was sure everyone was staring at him. "Sorry for my outburst, Sh'shi. As for your rank, again, I guess you would be towards the top. Maybe under Wing Leaders. "

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 pm
She smiled warmly at E'dal for his warm welcome. Thankfully the whole class wasn't as prickly as V'. She wasn't sure what would happen if they all had been, but she was sure she didn't want to find out. Her thoughts were jerked back as he turned to her. M'li laughed, "perhaps, but I was helping down in the storage rooms and those can cold! I was happy to have some warm stew. Indeed it can, and I learn a whole lot better with a full stomach!" She cast a grin toward Sh'shi. V' wasn't actually being terribly prickly at the moment. The teen nodded complete agreement with her statement about the food.

Of course it was then Sh'shi decided to start the lesson. She perked up with surprise at the subject of today's lesson. It shouldn't have been, she told herself. This was what they would take on once their dragons reached adults. M'li was particularly interested in seeing if her ideas of a particular rank matched what Sh'shi described for them.

She felt a moment's discomfort as the weyrlingmaster invited their wayward brown to join the party. Kind of awkward as the whole class could rattle around in here with room to spare for their dragons. However, he handled it easily and came to join them. Her brow wrinkled slightly as V' jumped in on I'sko.

"True those are the top ranks V', but also the rarest. What about the most common, the wingrider." That had been the rank her parents had held so she felt most comfortably with it.  

magnadearel

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:27 am
A slight nod was the reward I'sko got when he complied with her suggestion. A little awkwardness now, but the lad couldn't stay an island his entire weyrlinghood. Certainly not once they started drilling. For now though sitting with them was all she asked. Which was why Sh'shi was pleasantly surprised when the brownrider actually decided to engage with the class. Then V' spoke up, Sh'shi could always rely on that particular student to needle the others. In this respect she was technically correct, it was just her delivery. Then I'sko was snapping a retort and Sh'shi simply waited for him to be finished, she nodded in response to his apology and used the situation to move on.

"You've all raised very interesting points. V', you're correct that the highest ranking individuals in the Weyr are the Weyrwoman, or Weyrman, and the Weyrleader." Turning from the class Sh'shi reached up and wrote the two titles on the board. The titles were along-side each other, at the top of the board and to the left, with Weyrwoman on the right and Weyrleader on the left. "I'sko, you're correct, I am a higher rank. However I am not below a Wingleader." Weyrlingmaster remained unwritten and would until they had a more specific idea of it.

"Now M'li, you've raised a particularly interesting point. You say the most common rank and mention wingriders. However, wingrider is not the most common rank in a Weyr, by a significant margin. For example there are currently less than two-hundred wingriders in this Weyr and, as I'm sure you realise, there are several times that many people in the Weyr." Sh'shi turned back to the board and wrote 'Wingrider' about halfway down the board and to the left. "It is very easy for us to think that our dragons are the most important thing in the Weyr, and in some regards they are, but we should never forget that there are over a thousand people in this Weyr that are not dragonriders."

"Also to return to your early point, I'sko. Nobody is forced to 'deal with' the Weyr ranking system. We do not keep people against their will. By accepting the offer to live here, you accept taking a place in the ranking. This is as much the case for a candidate as it is for a crafter or anyone else. Anyone is welcome to leave the Weyr should they want to no longer live here. For as long as you live here however, which I would point out is several months now, you should know and respect the system that is in place. As regards to your rank as weyrlings, you are not at the bottom. There are well over one hundred people in the Weyr at this very moment that rank lower than you do."

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm
She blinked in surprise as she was told her answer wasn't necessarily correct. "But we're talking about dragonriders right Sh'shi?" She'd never heard of a rider having a rank below wingrider. Unless you counted the weyrlings, but there was so few of them that it couldn't be right. She chewed her lip thinking of the other ranks she knew.  

magnadearel

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 pm
"Relax sunbeam, I didn't know s**t until I got here either," V' snorted in return to I'sko. "I've been paying attention since I did, but I guess maybe doing that's not been key to your survival before?" Idiot. "And Sh'shi didn't say nothing about 'riders' M'li, she said about Weyr so I'm guessing drudges is bottom of the pile right? Put weybrats and weyrfolk above that... Where do apprentices fit though? They above, below, or equal to weyrfolk? Journeywomen got to be above."  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:30 am
"The Weyr is more than just dragonrider's, M'li. We can't treat dragonriders as a separate entity. The ranks of riders and non-riders are all interlinked to keep the Weyr running as a whole. It takes everyone playing their part for things to run smoothly." Things were only just getting back to a semblance of smooth. Trying to synergize multiple Weyrs into one was more than just naming a few new titles after all.

"Drudges are the lowest ranking members of the Weyr. However, it should be noted that being a drudge in a Weyr is different to in a Hold. The Weyr provides education for all those who seek it. Meaning that if a drudge wants to improve their station the option is there for them to seek the skills required to do so. Drudges are also paid in the Weyr, while some Holds will not pay, under the belief that providing them with food and lodgings is payment enough." Another title was written on the board. Sh'shi wrote 'Weyrfolk' slightly above and drew a line between the two titles. "Here a craft apprentice is level with a drudge. They don't hold rank over anyone else and can be instructed to perform a task by most anyone, so long as that does not interfere with their craft duties." Beside drudge went the title. "Journeymen and women are equal in rank to a wingrider, which is just above weyrfolk." The board still looked rather empty even with the additions. Sh'shi was careful to note which ranks were put forward by whom. It was enlightening to find who thought which roles were the most important and why.

User Image

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

magnadearel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am
She cast a glance across her classmate toward V'. "Well, I hadn't thought you'd consider being a drudge V'. But if that's the case don't let me stop you." She wrinkled her nose at Sh'shi. Their teacher could have been a little more specific. "Sorry, I though since we were officially weyrlings, that we'd be focusing on ranks we could take."

Pah. That changed her perspective a bit on what answers she wanted. "Weyrlings are obviously the bottom of the dragonrider ranks then, and probably candidates below that. There's the headwoman too. She works with the weyrwoman to ensure we have all the supplies we need." She chewed her lip thinking of other things. How separate did Sh'shi want them to get?

"There's Searchriders that go out and look for candidates among the holds. I think that's equal or a little bit above windrider."  
Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games