Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am
Orpheus Solon

It was a lovely courtyard set up for entertainment and dinning. The early afternoon sunlight bathed all the buildings looming about in a warm light while the desert sands in the distance seemed calmly serene for once. Even the streets seemed rather pleasant today for an “arranged meeting”. It was a grand setting with the table prepared and everything at the ready. Even she was dressed in fine silks with her hair twisted into ringlets decorated with glass beads that chimed as she moved. Truly it was like a scene from one of her story books…

Too bad the girl was ready to vomit at the sight of it all.

Did she really have to go here? After hearing about the lady’s plans for her Arima had gotten a huge knot in her stomach. Even after being on a few “excursions” to meet potential…. beaus the girl still had that sickening feeling in her gut. It had been obvious enough that the suitors were only after her for her connections while their eyes just raked over her Matorian appearance once they found out that she truly was a Matori and not an Oban. One had even more recently had the bronze to suggest that she become a rather fitting mistress for him, but he still wanted a true Oban to continue his bloodline. The memory made Arima’s cheeks flush a pale violet, “I should just leave right now!” The thought rang through her mind before she instead just politely nodded towards the servants who were leaving. Who was she kidding? She had to do this for her mother’s sake. If there was one thing true about Arima it was that she was a diligent daughter. She just wished that it was possible to find one true guy…her mind flickered back to the grand parade and the girl just shook her head. Not like that was something to dwell on! He was just doing his duty – anyone else would have done the same. Truthfully she doubted she would ever see the man again as well. Though what she had missed was the gleam in a mother’s gaze to see the couple returning together…

Still, as Arima walked through the courtyard she had to wonder. Who was it that she had to meet today?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:33 am
Sabra Knight

Saraf couldn't help but to sigh a bit, one hand lifting to scratch against his freshly shaved chin. His mother had seen to it that he was cleaned up well for the meeting today. Apparently the idea of going to this sort of thing with scruff on his face was worth his mother fretting and hassling him until he'd finally given in. Why would the person he was meeting with even care? He had a feeling that it was just his mother trying to put Saraf into the best possible light for the woman that he was meeting with. A shame that he didn't really have the same sort of investment in all of this that his mother did... in fact were it not for the fact that he loved her so much he'd of just skipped it altogether. He had better things to do then go through marriage interviews.

It really was a hassle... didn't she know that he was supposed to be returning to his unit in a few days? Surely she didn't mean to marry him off that quickly, right? The realization that his mother and the parents of the mystery woman might be doing just that had him on edge a bit. Surely it wasn't like that? Surely his mother would at least let him know if he was going to end up married in a couple days, right? A thought that sent a bit of a chill up his spine at the mere idea that he might end up hitched to a woman he'd never met just because his mother and the woman's parents decided it for them.

Shaking his head he quickened his steps, feeling that he should find the woman and tell her that this was all just a mistake... well, no, not a mistake per say. Saying it was a mistake might make the woman feel insulted and he didn't feel like being slapped today, so maybe just explain the situation instead? Yes, that was what he was going to do! Surely the woman would understand that it was just a plot by their parents and they would go their separate ways after the allotted time they were supposed to spend together chatting.

Of course as he reached the courtyard that he was supposed to meet the woman in he found himself actually starring at someone rather familiar to him. He hadn't spent a prolonged amount of time with her, just a bit here and there during the festival, but she wasn't one that was easy to forget. She was a strange one after all, a oddly colored Matorian woman that fancied herself an Oban Lady. The fact that she was here meeting with him though suddenly threw him a little off kilter. This meant that she wasn't married to or the mistress of some Oban nobleman, so who or what was she then?

Finding himself just a bit curious he started toward her, "Arima, I must say I am surprised to see you again. At least under these sorts of circumstances. How have you been?" Best that he remained polite since it seemed as though she were somehow an actual Oban Lady though he wasn't certain how yet. He supposed with time he might figure that out though.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:14 pm
Orpheus Solon

How's the weather? Do you enjoy walks? Books? Uh...hope you don't mind that I'm actually a Matori... Arima pinched the upper bridge of her nose in frustration. None of those sounded like an ideal conversation. In fact, she had listened to so many males drone on about their families and the weather to the point that she could feel her eye twitch just at the memory. That was it! If this next one was a hassle then she would just walk away! No more of this foolishness...Let him come at me with some arrogant attitude and snarky remark about my appearance. I'll show him something good then!

Of course the most she'd probably get out of her mouth was a squeak...

Which actually happened the moment she turned to see who was approaching her. Letting out the softest squeaks of surprise the girl raised her hands to cover her mouth - almost as if in horror. Please, no. Just no. Mother! The quiet protests rang through her mind as she fervently wished that she rather than that puddle nearby was evaporating into the desert air. If only he had started speaking then she could have hoped that he hadn't noticed her! Almost as if looking for an escape past Saraf, Arima took a tiny step backwards before words rang in her mind. "Don't forget my daughter - you are a Lady of Oba."

Still, this was rather embarrassing. Mostly on her end since he didn't know half of the scenarios that had run through her mind about knights and princesses...so many romantic books that she had given up on since starting these tedious arranged meetings. As a result she tried to give him a chance to run, "Saraf." The girl nodded her head politely, "I...uh wasn't expecting you either." Her voice was soft almost as if she were whispering, "I've been...well. How about you? Is there a reason that you're here?" Say, no. Just say no? Maybe, possibly? She glanced around almost as if looking for someone else to appear. Surely....surely it wasn't Saraf she was supposed to meet? But with the way he had approached her and judging by his clean appearance the girl truly felt as if she could melt at any moment. Yet, was it such a bad thing? He had been nice at the festival, but surely that didn't mean anything...

Stifling a sigh, Arima just bit the inside of her cheek before glancing innocently around them some more. There still was no sign of anyone else appearing. It won't be such a bad thing, right? Anxiously the girl twisted her fingers together before peeking back over at him. What did they do now?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 am
Sabra Knight

There was a long, drawn out moment where Saraf just starred at the strangely colored girl as she asked him if there was a reason that he was here. Was that her subtle way of telling him that she wasn't interested and that he should move on? He gave a thoughtful sound, actually considering taking the girl up on what he saw as an out to all of this. At the same time were he to leave early his mother would likely know it and he wouldn't hear the end of it. His mother seemed to be eager to get him married off to anyone that would have him, which seemed to include women that weren't even Oban born.

He didn't really feel like getting married yet but at the same time he couldn't run away without upsetting his mother, given that he was sort of stuck at the moment he decided to answer the girl by saying, "I'm likely here for the same reason as you." Crossing his arms over his chest he glanced from side to side before he asked, "I take it that if you were to sneak off early they would probably know? Your parents I mean." He knew full well that his mother would know somehow but would it be the same for Arima? Were her parents as eager to see her married off as his own mother was?

"My mother will be disappointed if I rush off without at least spending a bit of time with you, so if you don't mind perhaps we can chat a spell?" Not exactly the way that he was planning to spend his last few days before he had to return to his unit but if it placated his mother and her want for a daughter-in-law for a time then he supposed that he would do this. He supposed that it would also be good for him. The last time he'd chatted with an outsider it ended up being naught for then an argument given that his temper had gotten the best of him. Today he'd try to remain calm in a somewhat amiable mood if at all possible.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:57 pm
Orpheus Solon

Was he going to avoid this? Arima nervously bit the inside of her cheek as Saraf seemingly thought about her silent offer. Why did she have such a knot in her chest over that? He had every right to just walk away...it would be one of the kinder reactions she had thus far. As she braced herself to walk away Saraf finally spoke, "So I see..." Blinking her soft voice trailed off as she realized he hadn't rejected their meeting, but rather was confronting the fact that they both were here because of it. Oh, alright then.

A light flush decorated her cheeks as she nodded slightly, "You're right...my mother would be rather upset." So that was the reason for his decision to stay a little bit longer. At least he seemed to think these things through. The thought almost wanted to make her laugh - it was for his mother then, not for his own interest. Seemed they both were in a similar situation, "You must love your mother a lot to make certain she's not disappointed easily." Her musing slipped out of her lips softly before she flushed again and looked away. Was it really her place to make such a statement? Still, at least that was one thing they had in common. Better than nothing, right?

What did they even chat about? Arima glanced around and her gaze focused on the skies above rather than the Oban next to her, "The weather is nice at least." She smiled faintly. So much for not mentioning the weather. Ugh, why couldn't she just form some normal words without feeling her face become brilliant as the sun? I could speak about books, but I'm sure that would bore him... She had to remember after all - he was here because of his mother's request and not for her. Thinking about such a thing made her wonder exactly how many times he had been through these meetings. Even if she were the daughter of Lady Cyrilla not many would have a Matori at the top of their list save for those who hadn't realized that the Lady's adopted child was in fact not an Oban.

But rather than pointing out such a theory the girl just shook her head with a small sigh, "Do you have anything in mind that you would wish to chat about, sir?" She glanced back towards him with the faintest of smiles and the brightest of blushes. Now if only time would just fly away so she could get back to hiding in her library of books...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:33 am
Sabra Knight

Saraf gave a nod of his head, "It seems important to her that I at least go to the interviews that she sets up for me." He said, finding it a touch embarrassing that his mother seemed to be so eager of late to see him married off. To the point that she was taking all offers that might be interested in someone like Saraf. He found himself wondering if he ended up at an interview like this one because he was most well known due to his position in the army instead of his parentage? Hard to say really but he wasn't going to complain since it didn't quite seem to him that she was anymore eager then he was about this whole thing. Giving a little sigh he said, "Best that we do our best to get through this for their sake." He was hoping that if he played along it would distract his mother from her end game of him getting a wife and children.

"Hm?" Glancing up for a moment he gave a little nod of his head, "I suppose so. It's a lot nicer where where there is a bit of shade then where my unit normally serves." He would at least enjoy that aspect of the meeting he thought to himself idly. Especially knowing that he was going to be back out in the desert soon enough.

There was a long moment of awkward silence that had him shifting from food to foot, trying to decide what it was that the two of them should talk about at the moment. After a time she asked if he had anything that he wanted to chat about and he couldn't help but to blink a couple times, "I... ahhh..." Damn, nothing was coming to mind. What did one talk about with a lady? What did one talk about with a lady that they were having a forced marriage interview with? Lifting a hand up he scratched it against his chin, "Not sure... what about you?" Geez this was uncomfortable... had Nuri ever had such issues with that woman of his? He couldn't help but to wonder for a moment, realizing he'd never bothered to ask.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:05 am
Orpheus Solon

So he had been through a few of these, "I suppose so." Arima offered another small smile at his suggestion. "Though honestly so far this one hasn't been too bad..." She twisted her fingers together before glancing away, "I mean umm...you have been rather polite to me considering that I'm probably not the Oban lady you imagined - not that I'm not one!" She quickly protested as she glanced back towards him with a flush, "It's just...I suppose no one has ever seen an Oban noble adopt a Matori often...if ever before." Did he even want to know that? Now she was just rambling like something silly. Arima silently chastised herself more as the awkward silence grew. Well, at least he had taken her weather comment lightly - the thought was enough to bring out a small sigh. Though it was interesting....how was life in the army?

She wanted to ask, but hesitated. What if he didn't like talking about his occupation? Or what if information like that was supposed to be super secret? As her inner dilemma continued the girl found herself finally noticing his own awkward silence. Was it that painful to be in this situation with her? It's not like I signed up for this either, ya know. Still, she couldn't help but to feel a bit of pity for him. It wasn't like he had anything against her, right? He just didn't know what to do since they both had been shoved into this mess.

"Well..." She started off thoughtfully before a hint of mischievousness overtook her, "I suppose most at this point would be bragging about their family and their feats." The lightest tease came from her as she thought about some of these other 'lovely' meetings. "Or at this point would be telling me about how fortunate I am to be in such a noble household for a Matori - if I'm lucky they might take me, but they'd rather have me as a Matori mistress and a real Oban for a wife instead. While I stay here and just smile and nod while they go on and on about how amazing they are and how fortunate I am to stand before them."

"Not that I'm saying you're like that!" She added quickly as her cheeks burned, "Honestly...these venues are just suffocating..." Arima glanced away and dug her toes into the ground. He probably thought she hated all Oban men at this rate or that she was trying to evoke pity. Which she wasn't! "Do you think...they'll notice if we slip away and pass time elsewhere?" It was a bold statement, but honestly she felt a bit more comfortable with Saraf...and hearing that he had been through these before made her think. Why not take a break from this and just get out of here?

"Only if you want to of course." She offered a shy smile, "Our mothers wanted us to pass time together - they didn't say we had to stay in such a stuffy spot." And she hadn't seen much of this area before...it definitely would be a nice change of pace from sitting awkwardly at a table or from hiding in her rooms at home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:51 am
Sabra Knight

Saraf kept it to himself that he was glad to hear that he was doing better then the others that she'd met. It wasn't that he was trying to win her over but instead he was just trying to be... well, better. He knew that he had a temper, knew he didn't deal with others outside of the Fire Tribe all that well, and knew that he had a grudge against at least one other tribe. That he was doing well at this meeting with Arima was actually a good step for him. It showed that he was getting a touch better at dealing with others. Here was to hoping that he only continued on this line so that he could deal with more people without getting angry at them.

As the girl started to explain to him what her other meetings had been like he could only stare. So she had dealt with some people that seemed to be even worse then him, huh? It seemed that her mother wasn't all that good at setting up these meetings, was she? It made him wonder for a moment if maybe Arima would be better off marrying another of her tribe? Which had him wondering if the woman that adopted her wouldn't allow that because she wanted her daughter, who was a Lady of Oba, to marry an Oban? That was a very strange and confusing thought he thought of himself.

Giving a bit of a smirk Saraf said, "Oh? Should I be bragging then? I didn't know that was what ladies were into, I guess I have been doing things wrong." He couldn't help but to feel a bit amused as bragging was more something that he did around his buddies and the other people in his unit. The idea of bragging to Arima though didn't quite cross his mind until she pointed out that it was what all of the others did that she met up with to this point.

"Would they notice? Possibly, but it should be fine." He said, giving a wave of his hand. He didn't think that it would be so bad if they went on a walk... unless their parents assumed they were up to something? Here was to hoping that wasn't going to end up the case or he'd end up married at sword point or something.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 am
Orpheus Solon

I probably shouldn't have said that. Instantly regretting opening her mouth Arima turned her gaze away. Perhaps he would even have the same thoughts after all? At least he seemed to take it in good light. An actual laugh escaped the girl as she nodded, "Obviously we must be behind on the times. All the ladies love hearing how brave you men are and about all the things you can do." She smiled, "I suppose you'd have some good stories as a knight though. Would probably be far more interesting than what I've heard so far. Unless you're really into the plights of a noble man having to go to market on his own..."

She almost bounced on her heels, "We could consider it a walk then." She prompted with a small smile, "Aaand if we happen to venture off the path then so be it." The girl shrugged lightly as she brushed past Saraf, "Do you know of any good places to visit?" She whispered quietly -almost as if afraid of being heard, "I'm actually not out often save for social events and under supervision...so some fresh air would be lovely. You could brag to me all you want then~ "

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 am
Sabra Knight

Saraf seemed to think on it for a time before he said, "I suppose I could always tell you the story about how I fought a pack of Janarim by myself, chasing them away from Sulburi, and took one of them as my own mount." Something that he'd done recently that he was quite proud of. Not just because he'd been able to overcome such a challenge but because he was able to break up the pack and chase them off deeper into the desert. He didn't want them anywhere close to the city since it would only end poorly. They would hurt or kill someone and then the pack would be wiped out by those that protected Sulburi, which would have been a waste.

"A walk then. We won't go far though, I would have for anyone to think that I was trying to spirit you away." Not high on the list of things that he wanted to do. He'd tried the whole capturing people to serve Oba during the war. It hadn't gone as well as he'd hoped and as such things weren't legal anymore it was good he held little interest in such hunts as he had in his youth.

Looking over at her he seemed to be thinking hard on it for a moment before he actually laughed, "Well, the places an soldier would find interesting aren't places for a Lady. We will keep our eyes open for a place to visit as we go."  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 am
Orpheus Solon

Arima's eyes widened into golden orbs, "Re-really? All by yourself?!" She gasped with amazement, "That definitely sounds like a good story. So you ride a janarim as well?" Certainly she had heard about and even seen such things from a far, but to actually talk to someone who had done such a feat? It was amazing! So much for keeping her cool and not getting swept away by some stories...

"Spirit me away?" The girl pursed her lips before nodding slowly, "I suppose that would bring a bit of trouble, wouldn't it? Though you could always say I was the one who spirited you away." She smiled up at him before waving him along, "I wouldn't mind seeing any places that aren't typical for a lady, but if you're worried about being flayed for such an act...I suppose I'll let it pass."

Honestly, in all of her excitement the girl was getting too swept away to truly care about manners and the like. Strangely enough she even was talking more like she was home rather than being the quiet daughter that many others saw, "I uh..." She did flush as a realization caught her - in her excitement about hearing his story and his laughter the girl had tried to begin leading the way, "Probably shouldn't lead though considering...unless you don't mind blindly walking through the city." And gods only knew where Arima could end up taking them - even if she did know the city. She was awfully special when it came to directional senses after all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:14 am
Sabra Knight

"As well? Do you ride a janarim?" He asked in a surprised manner, unable to picture such a slight girl riding on a janarim. Especially given that she was a 'lady', were they even allowed ride such giant beasts? It was something that made him a touch curious about her upbringing which already seemed as though it were an interesting one. Giving a little shake of his head he said, "Grane is the name of the one that I ride, he's kept in stables with the other mounts ridden by those in my unit that are at the edge of Sulburi." Were it not so far off he might show Grane to her, but he'd rather not drag her off that far.

As the girl mentioned that Saraf could always say that he'd been spirited away by the little girl he turned to glance at her, lifting an eyebrow, "Are you by chance a powerful warrior or mage?" He found himself asking, feeling that might be the only way that she'd be able to spirit him away. At her next comment about him taking her to places that weren't meant for ladies he said, "I... am not going to bring you to a tavern, Arima... but it was a good try."

As he continued along, walking side by side with her he seemed to think on her comment before he said, "Best that we stick to the nicer areas." Best not to leave her to lead since he wasn't sure what some of those in the slums might think of a lady like her. They would want to take advantage and he'd be forced to deal with them... not something that one wanted to do in front of a lady that much was for sure.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:28 pm
Orpheus Solon

"A janarim?" Arima blinked at the question. Well, she had seen them before and once she had rode on a janarim with a soldier - after that horrible night when those people had tried taking her far away. She had also read plenty of books about janarim care...surely that counted as something? With that in mind, the girl gave a slight nod. "So all soldiers have a janarim?" She questioned quickly trying to shove the attention away from her and her lack of or rather now supposedly experience with the beasts.

"A mage?" Her cheeks flushed the girl pushed down on the panic. He was just taking her words in a far different approach, "I just meant it as a tease." She glanced towards Saraf, "Is it so strange to imagine a normal woman being able to spirit away a man?" It happened all the time in those more romantic stories. She pouted slightly -both for the spirited away response and the denial of a tavern, "Is it such a bad thing? A lot of interesting adventure stories start there...I mean...for those who read such novels."

Flushing she glanced away, "But nicer areas work best. I'm sorry I almost forgot myself." She whispered quietly as she glanced towards her feet. So much for the impression of a young lady - he probably felt she was more like a child at this point. Still she couldn't help peering towards him through the stray curls that fell in her face, "What do you have in mind then...Saraf?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:31 pm
Sabra Knight

Ah, he must have misunderstood he thought to himself, glancing away in a thoughtful manner before looking back at her as she spoke, asking if all soldiers had janarim. He thought on it for a moment then said, "Not all of them but when it comes to my unit its a smart idea to have a mount. If you don't then either you have to travel through the desert on foot or you have to ride doubles with someone else." Neither of which were the best ideas when one was stuck out in the middle of a desert. Walking was exhausting and riding with someone else was just too hot!

"Hm? Well... I suppose that it depends on the woman and the man both." He wasn't sure about her being able to spirit him off unless she had some hidden powers that he was unaware of... but he'd keep that to himself. Saying it out loud seemed as though it would be rude even for him and he wasn't always the most polite of people.

As she suddenly mentioned adventure stories that started in a bar he blinked a couple times and found himself actually asking, "Such novels? What novels start like that?" No books that he'd ever read but then again most of the time it was training manuals and study materials that would help him in his rise through the ranks that he read. Must be the sorts of books that women read then?

"Best that we stick to the nicer areas for now. It's safest that way. I wouldn't want to draw my sword in front of a lady." Nor would he want to draw blood, certain that she might just faint dead away at the sight. As she asked what he had in mind he gave a humming sound, "What do I have in mind...? Hmm... well, maybe we can do a lap around the marketplace? We could find something to eat while there?" What did one do with a girl in this sort of situation? He'd met women in the past, of course, but nothing like this.  

Orpheus Solon

Stellar Dragon

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:22 pm
Orpheus Solon

"Ah, that makes sense." She'd always adored janarims while others may have found the beasts intimidating Arima had always wanted to just reach out and run her hand along its smooth scales. Perhaps one day...sighing, the girl blinked at his statement. "You think?" She shook her head, "When I have to go to gatherings I've heard once or twice about 'spiriting away' together. But, I believe that's just a term they bring up for couples that elope. Apparently being together for love is a bad thing in higher levels of society..." She pursed her lips slightly in a pout before the realization of her words caught up to her. Why was she talking about such an embarrassing thing again?

Her cheeks completely flushed the girl started to take longer strides forward almost as if to run away from her suddenly rambling mouth, "Adventure stories - at home we have a collection of tomes and other such fantasies written by bards. Or even when a bard came through I would find myself listening to them." She replied quickly as she tried to shake off her earlier comments about love and eloping. Out of all times to even think about such things! "Sometimes even adventures about previous wars have beginnings in taverns were the knights and other soldiers gathered..." She trailed off thoughtfully, "So I always wondered what an actual tavern was like. Travelers always seem to go there to rest and with them come some of the best stories.... at least so I've heard. Still, a dangerous place is a dangerous place and I will respect that. It was a silly notion as it was." But how could she tell how dangerous a place was unless she finally managed to visit it?

"Draw your sword?" Arima frowned as she slowed down to glance back towards him, "I don't understand why...oh." She trailed off quietly. Surely it wasn't that dangerous? And was it bad of her that something like that sounded rather exciting? What she didn't realize was that in her hurry to shake off her earlier comments she may have in fact managed to somehow twist their path. Though as she glanced around a bit the girl made her own thoughtful hum. Was there a way to get from the market to one of these infamous taverns? And how mad would Saraf become if she managed to slip towards one?

Or Arima you should just behave yourself. But it was so tempting! Ever so innocently the girl glanced back towards her companion, "Either sounds fine to me, sir. You know the area best so I will leave it to your judgement." She had to remember to be polite and be a lady....even if it was Saraf this still was an arranged meeting. Even more reason for her to try and find something exciting while she could... When else did she get to leave home so openly? And with someone that would willingly leave that set up venue with her?

◈ Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff