Chyrso was nervous. She often found herself pacing the borders of the pack’s lands, looking out into the spaces beyond the borders. Beyond the trees - she wondered what was out there. She didn’t know why, but this place didn’t quite feel like home.

Perhaps it was the fact that her mother here was not her mother, though her father was. She knew of her true mother, up in the mountains with her own mate. She didn’t quite understand the situation regarding it, and the golden dog couldn’t find herself caring too much.

She huffed a sigh and moved further back into the pack.

It wouldn’t really help, pacing the borders like a caged bird. She was better than that, and she had a job to do anyhow.

It didn’t take long for the golden pup to make her way back to the hunting lands. She could hear prey in the distance, but also something else. Humming? She made a curious noise in the back of her throat.

The golden dog walked along the path, searching for the source of the noise. She didn’t often hear others humming, often too wound up in her own world. It didn’t take her long for the humming to be almost in her ears!

She was close, perhaps just around this bend?

Chryso turned the corner and… a squeak? The humming stopped, and Chryso’s eyes fell on the source of the humming. It was none other than Neo’ni, one of the shamans of the pack. The pack was small as it was, so the pair knew each other.

“Oh, I guess you heard me, huh?” Neo’ni looked a bit embarrassed. She covered her face with her paw, as if trying to hide herself. Chyrso huffed, forcing down the rest of the anger that enveloped her body.

“I did,” She said, agreeing. She wouldn’t deny it, since that was what got her here, to standing in front of a shaman, of all things. The pink dog murmured out a small ‘oh…’ and Chryso gave her a kind smile. “It was pretty. You shouldn’t be so shy - you could be a performer in Air if you wanted!”

Neo’ni was shaking her head at the thought. A performer? Oh no, no, no. She could never do that. She was content where she was. Chryso gave a small laugh, though, to show that she was joking. “I jest,” She said, confirming her actions.

The pink female gave a small huff in turn, shaking her head. “What brings you here?” She asked, curiously. No one usually bothered the shaman while he was out here. She usually collected things for ceremonies, or for personal use while she wasn’t doing anything else.

The golden dog hummed a bit, getting closer to the shaman. “Well, I was actually going to hunt,” Chryso told Neo’ni readily. “I wasn’t expecting to run into you today, honestly.” Chyrso frowned, shaking her head, trying to clear her throughts.

And Neo’ni. She was patient. She sat, humming softly - a lot quieter than before - as she waited for Chryso to speak.

It took a moment, but Chryso took a deep breath and began to speak. “I don't know if I belong here, and I don't know what to do,” she blurted out. It seemed to take the pink dog a bit by surprise.

Neoni paused in her humming, frowning at the young dog in front of her. “Why don't you feel like you belong here, little one?” She asked gently. She scooted closer to Chryso, close enough for their shoulders to touch.

Chryso took comfort from the touch and smiled at the shaman a little. “I don't know.. it's just this feeling in my chest and stomach whenever I look beyond the borders… like something is lodged there. I can't help but feel sad or anxious. I'm not sure…”

It sounded silly now that she said it out loud. She lurched, as if she was flinching, but the feeling was back and she wasn't quite sure what to do.

Neoni hummed, just a small sound. “I think you're homesick,” the pink dog said. Chryso whipped her head back towards the pink dog.

“How? I was born here. I've never known any other home?” Chyrso sounded bitter as she spoke, but Neoni gave a small chuckle in response.

In fact, Neoni had felt the same before she had come here. “You're feeling a longing, a place away from here. This isn't your home - you do belong here… but it's not where your heart is. Your home is out there though.” Neoni’s voice was soft and comforting and Chryso looked a bit upset.

If her home wasn't here… then where? But still, the shaman’s words made sense. “What do I do then?” She asked. Her voice was small and uncertain.

Neoni nudged her with a paw, “Hey now, pup, don't be upset.” Neoni said. “It'll work out. I found my home here. I felt much like you did when I was younger. You'll find your home.” the pink dogs words of comfort one helped a bit and Chyrso sank down, lying next to Neoni.

She wasn't as confident in her ability to find her home, wherever that might be. She just had to work up the confidence to actually leave and seek it out…

Neoni began humming again, a soft, comforting tune. She placed her paw on Chyrso’s head, stroking over the golden fur that covered it. There was only so much she could do for the young dog.

Chryso would have to make the choice herself. She could stay or go. She only had the chance to find out if she left, though, and Neoni was confident that the golden female would take that chance.

She continued humming, watching as the young female drifted off into a light sleep. She hoped that she helped in some way. Perhaps one day the golden female would return if she left and find that this was her true home after all.

Only time would tell, and Neoni was content with that as she watched the young dog sleep.