Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply The Graveyard (Trash)
The Van Astens ~ Accepted

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OliMcD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm
Hullo! Since Journey is now muggleborn--her skeleton is missing a few details. "The school I will be going to is" as well as an option for "The house I'm in is" which should be left blank until her sorting. (Once she's older she will also need "I'm interested in" and "My wand is a", but for now the last two aren't necessary at this age.) Other than that, everything else is fine. -Essy 1/4/16

xxxxT H ExxxV A NxxxA S T E NxxxF A M I L Yxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User Image
KEVAN

User ImagexUser Image
CHELSEAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxJOURNEY

xxxF A M I L Y T R E E xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kevan Van Asten
                  x✖ Lorraine Bouchard (Formerly Van Asten) (NPC) - Ex-Wife of Kevan
                  xxx↪ Chelsea Van Asten - Daugher of Kevan and Lorraine
                  xxx↪ Journey Van Asten - Daughter of Kevan and Lorraine

xxxxR E C E N TxxxU P D A T E Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KEVAN
              ---

LORRAINE
              ---

CHELSEA
              ---

JOURNEY
              Skeleton Updated, issues resolved

UPDATED 5 January 2016

- Accepted by Weasley 10/13/15
- Updates Accepted by Weasley 1/9/16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:10 pm
Hi, my name is Kevan Van Asten

I'm a male.

I'm thirty-six years old.

My birthday is August 31st.

I work in construction as an independent contractor.

My dream job is astronomer. There’s something really intriguing about the stars.

My blood status is muggle.

I'm interested in women.

I'm currently with my wife, Lorraine Van Asten.

I may seem either quiet and shy in nature, or angry and vocal, but I'm really neither. At least not completely. Yes, I do lose my temper sometimes. I also don’t speak up much around strangers. But I love having long conversations with friends and family, and am particularly social after a beer or two. I am hardworking and dedicated, and very eager to be the best I can be. Constantly working on both my mind and my physique, the most important thing to me is that my children grow up unbroken, with smiles on their faces, and that they learn to appreciate the value of nature and of hard work.

My background story is not altogether unpleasant. I grew up in a lower-middle class family. I had two brothers (one older and one younger) of the same father, but he died on Christmas eve when I was twelve. My mother remarried and gave us a sister, who she paid much more attention to. As a result, my brothers and I were often in trouble. No one was really around to teach us any better. After I barely graduated secondary school with a long history of chain-smoking, underage drinking, and even a couple counts of arson, I took some years off schooling and spent some time in Greece with my older brother, and eventually my younger one too. Our time there was probably the best of my life. We had a small studio which we paid for with part-time dishwasher jobs, and we pretended to be surfers in our spare time. But the mediterranean isn’t notable for great waves, and eventually our pipe dreams had to end.

I moved back to England when I was twenty-two, and started taking classes at a small university. I learned from some old buddies how to build things; stairs and cupboards and roofs and the like. I grew to love this work, especially when I had to quit college classes a few years later after proposing to my girlfriend Lorraine. She’d been so lovely with her thick french accent and blonde curls, so I took it upon myself quite quickly to make sure she was taken care of. We married quickly, and soon Chelsea was born. There is nothing purer than the joy of holding your own child in your arms. Three more years and we had a second daughter. Lorraine was such an excellent mother and wife. Not a day went by that she didn’t have a delicious meal on the table for supper, and the laundry all folded and warm from the dryer. But for some reason she grew restless in our marriage, and despite my efforts, she began to sleep in another room, to argue and to resent me.

This went on for so long that the only thing holding us together was our children. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for them, and they should not have to live without their parents both supporting them. I told Lorraine this every day, and each time I did she seemed to believe it less. I think she felt as though her daughters were keeping her from truly being happy, and would rather give them up altogether. Which, eventually, is what she did. After Chelsea went of to Wizarding school, Lorraine and I divorced and she went off to travel.

I enjoy
Being around my girls, and watching them play.
Working, and the feeling of having created something with my own two hands.
The outdoors, especially backpacking in the woods and mountains.
Astronomy. I’d still love to take some more classes on it, maybe even teach one myself someday.
Cooking, or rather, attempting to. I’m not great at it.

I despise
Self-centeredness. Lorraine can be a prime example at times.
The corruption that seems to accompany wealth.
Laziness. I don’t understand how some people can just sit around and let life get the better of them.
Predjudice.
Sweetened coffee, and Starbucks because they sell too many kinds of sweetened coffee.

I'm afraid of
Any harm coming to my daughters, in any shape or form.

My strengths are
Literal strength; I perform difficult physical labor on a daily basis.
Willingness to learn. I’m always eager to gain new knowledge and understanding.

My flaws are
I’m not great at empathy, and I’m not quite open-minded. Sometimes I make snap judgements and this can impair my relationships with other people.
Temper. I get annoyed rather easily, and tend to yell when I do get annoyed.

I look like Kevin McKidd.

My pet is a Swedish Vallhund named Frodo.  

OliMcD

OliMcD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:26 pm
Hi, my name is Lorraine Bouchard

I'm a female.

I'm thirty-two years old.

My birthday is April 2nd.

I work in childcare. I’m a preschool director.

My blood status is muggle.

I'm interested in men.

I'm currently with nobody.

I may seem sweet and kind, especially at work, but I'm really kind of manipulative and self-centered. When a situation isn’t working out in my favor, I tend to toss aside commitments for the sake of my own comfort. I get bored easily and can’t be in one place for too long. One of my hobbies is instructing people on how to do things the right way, even when they didn’t ask for and don’t want my opinion. When it comes to my children, I want them to love me and listen to me, but I don’t really know them as individuals. I make friends for my own benefit, rather than to make actual human connections.

My background story is I grew up in France in a wealthy family with parents who loved each other and a couple siblings. The life I lived felt a bit restrictive, though, and I immigrated to the UK after secondary school. That’s where I met Kevan, who seemed like a great opportunity. I wanted stability and children, and he provided them for me. I do believe I loved him, but once I’d had enough of sacrificing my own needs for the needs of my children, it all got a bit much for me. Now all I want is to travel and experience the world’s glories, subtle and extravagant.

I enjoy
Reading, and the escapism it offers.
Traveling. It's great to have been everywhere.
Going out dancing or to concerts.
Seeing my daughters succeed and achieve what I want for them.
Growing my own vegetables.

I despise
Being stuck in one place.
Backtalk, defiance, when people have blatant disregard for the advice I give them.
Roaches.
Laziness. It's not okay for people to be passive about their lives.
Anything that requires a long attention span.

I'm afraid of
leaving behind no legacy; having added nothing to the world when I leave it. Also, not finding the satisfaction I crave from my life.

My strengths are
Coercion and self-fulfillment.

My flaws are
Lack of consideration for the feelings of others, and an almost physical repulsion to actually listening to someone try to explain what I'm doing wrong.

I look like AnnaLynne McCord.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 pm
xxxxC H E L S E AxxxA L T AxxxV A NxxxA S T E Nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxB A S I C Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              NICKNAMES Chessie, Chess

AGE 12

BIRTHDAY 4th November 2020

BLOOD STATUS Muggleborn

WAND Supple, 12.5 inch alder with an ashwinder ash core.

GENDER Female

SEXUAL ORIENTATION TBD

LANGUAGES SPOKEN English

FACECLAIM Liana Liberato [x]

xxxS C H O O L A N D C A R E E R xxxxxx
              ATTENDING Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

HOUSE Gryffindor

YEAR Second

BEST LESSONS
                  Flying
                  Astronomy
                  Charms

WORST LESSONS
                  History of Magic
                  Herbology
                  ---

OWL SCORES
                  Astronomy ~ X
                  Charms ~ X
                  Defense Against the Dark Arts ~ X
                  Herbology ~ X
                  History of Magic ~ X
                  Potions ~ X
                  Transfiguration ~ X
                  Elective ~ X

NEWT SCORES
                  Astronomy ~ X
                  Charms ~ X
                  Herbology ~ X
                  History of Magic ~ X
                  Potions ~ X
                  Transfiguration ~ X
                  Elective ~ X

CURRENT EMPLOYMENT Student

DREAM JOB Something exciting, where she'll get to travel or do daring things.

xxxP E R S O N A L I T Y xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              ■ FEISTY Chessie absolutely loves to play devil’s advocate, and will do anything she can to get a stir out of people. It’s not ill intent, she just thinks it’s funny to see people forced out of their comfort zones. She's also rather rambunctious, and can't sit still or follow the rules for too long.
              ■ SENSITIVE Despite that she often pokes fun at people, Chess is a sweet enough girl who sincerely wants to be liked by everyone around. Underneath her tough exterior, her emotions run rampant and she is hurt deeply by insult. She cares too much for her close ones, and would gladly put herself in harm's way to help them.
              ■ ATHLETIC Since she could support herself on two feet, Chess was always running around everywhere. She learned to play football very early on, and was a grat player even on the boys' team. When she'd mastered football, she moved on to rugby. She's unafraid of pain and sweat, and loves the feeling she gets when challenging herself or a rival. While her build is small, she's got muscles, and is much too competitive.
              ■ AWKWARD Social cues aren't easy to decipher for Chessie. Things need to be explained plainly for her to understand them, and sometimes she needs help expressing herself. This made primary school difficult, and because of her lack of friends in school, she became still more socially undeveloped. It was a vicious cycle one that was broken or at least stalled once she arrived at Hogwarts and found like-minded friends.

Teasing her sister and getting her to laugh when she realizes.
                  Listening to her dad talk about the stars. He knows everything about them.
                  Having her hair brushed. She's sorry, it’s just therapeutic!
                  The color purple
                  Epic movies

DISLIKES
                  Having to behave a certain way so that others will think better of her.
                  Walking slowly instead of running. Why waste time?
                  Times when there's nothing to do.
                  People who can't take a joke. What's life without a little humor?
                  Prissy girls who get everything handed to them and only accept you if you've got money and nice clothes.

HOBBIES
                  Playing rugby or football with the boys.
                  Learning the names of different things, like plants or stars.
                  Quidditch

STRENGTHS
                  Humor
                  Quick Learning Ability

WEAKNESSES
                  Paying attention
                  Sensitivity (suppressed)

FEARS
                  Not having friends or being disliked
                  Turkeys

xxxH I S T O R Y xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              CHILDHOOD Going through the beginnings of school was tough for Chessie. She was picked on a bit, sometimes called a soulless ginger, and there were few kids who bothered to get to know her. To be fair, she didn’t give them much reason to. There seems to be a kid in every class who, when the teacher ends class, asks if she is going to collect the homework. Nobody likes that kid. Chessie was that kid. It’s not like she was a nerd, she just didn’t pick up on many social cues, especially when it came to girls her age. This may have been due to her mother’s lack of attention; she never taught her how to use makeup or dress fashionably or gossip. Her father was her primary role-model, so she got on better with the boys who played make-believe warrior games on the playground.

Odd occurrences began to happen around her, though. Small things, like after this blondie girl made fun of her freckles, she fell off the monkey bars and got the wind knocked out of her. At first Chessie thought it was karma or coincidence, until another time this boy Kota gave her one of those wishing dandelions and it changed back into it’s blooming phase. She didn't tell anyone, but Kota became afraid of her and she didn't know what to do about it. Finally, while teaching her sister to play tug-of-war with Frodo, Chessie accidentally turned the poor dog purple. This time, she had to run away to try to find out how to turn him right. While she was doing so under the peer outside her home, a dwarf named Deveron Whitethorne appeared and told her that she was a witch. After a conversation with her father, Chessie was offered the chance to study magic at Hogwarts. She begged her father to let her go, and he eventually said yes.

SCHOOL YEARS
                  FIRST YEAR Chessie's first year was not quite eventful. She met and interacted with most of her classmates, but was a bit of a wallflower. School proved to be difficult, not the learning part but the being away from her family bit. It took a while to adjust to everything new and wizardly, and she still hadn't finished adjusting by the time the year was through. Her saving grace was a sport called quidditch, and though she wasn't experienced enough to make the first string team, she scored a reserve position and threw herself into physical pursuit during practices.
                  SECOND YEAR Information
                  THIRD YEAR Information
                  FOURTH YEAR Information
                  FIFTH YEAR Information
                  SIXTH YEAR Information
                  SEVENTH YEAR Information

POST GRADUATION Information

xxxR E L A T I O N S H I P S xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              FAMILY Father: Kevan Van Asten ■ Mother: Lorraine Van Asten ■ Sister: Journey Van Asten
              FRIENDS ---
              BEST FRIEND ---
              ROMANTIC INTEREST ---
              ENEMIES ---
              PETS Swedish Vallhund, Frodo

OliMcD

OliMcD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:07 pm
xxxxJ O U R N E YxxxS A G ExxxV A NxxxA S T E Nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxB A S I C S xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              NICKNAMES None

AGE Nine

BIRTHDAY 11th May 2023

BLOOD STATUS Muggleborn

WAND TBD

GENDER Female

ROMANTIC ORIENTATION TBD

SEXUAL ORIENTATION TBD

LANGUAGES SPOKEN English

FACECLAIM Anna Clark [x]

xxxS C H O O L A N D C A R E E R xxxxxx
              TO ATTEND Hogwarts

HOUSE TBD

YEAR N/A

BEST LESSONS
                  ---
                  ---
                  ---

WORST LESSONS
                  ---
                  ---
                  ---

OWL SCORES
                  Astronomy ~ X
                  Charms ~ X
                  Herbology ~ X
                  History of Magic ~ X
                  Potions ~ X
                  Transfiguration ~ X
                  Elective ~ X

NEWT SCORES
                  Astronomy ~ X
                  Charms ~ X
                  Herbology ~ X
                  History of Magic ~ X
                  Potions ~ X
                  Transfiguration ~ X
                  Elective ~ X

CURRENT EMPLOYMENT N/A

DREAM JOB Dancer! No, dolphin trainer! No, astronaut!

xxxP E R S O N A L I T Y xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              ■ SWEET Journey is too sweet for her own good. She is always looking out for the needs of others and never sees the bad in anyone. Being kind and polite are to her like water is to a duckling. The extent of her kindness is almost unreasonable, and can sometimes result in unkind people taking advantage and ultimately hurting Journey, though she'd never admit any wrongdoing on their part.
              ■ QUIET Being as nice as she is, Journey prefers listening to talking. She doesn't like to be the center of attention, and would much rather have some alone time. If she does find reason to contribute to a conversation, what she says is usually important. Anything that isn't kind, true, or necessary doesn't need to be said.
              ■ STUDIOUS Education is likely Journey's top priority. She has a good sense of intellect and understands that the more educated she is, the more she can do to help people, and the happier she will be. Also, she gives 100% to whatever she is doing, and doesn't believe in putting in any less effort. She loves success and ignores the obstacles that are supposedly "in her way."
              ■ OPTIMISTIC Journey's outlook on life is unusually positive. Even when a circumstance is to others nothing but dreary and depressing, Journey will find nothing but good things to say. Whether chalking it up to a learning experience or actually finding some hope or light, she will not let herself fall prey to despair.
              ■ PERCEPTIVE Because she keeps her own noise to a minimum, Journey has learned how to pick up on lots of subtle clues. She may be nice and cutesy and sweet, but she is not all naive. She notices a lot more than most people think she does, and will sometimes make accurate predictions about her peers' behaviors.

History and Math
                  Her mum's cooking
                  Being outdoors
                  Kind people

DISLIKES
                  Unkind people
                  When older people keep things from her because she's "too young"
                  Cauliflower, honeydew and ketchup
                  Music that sounds like people screaming
                  When it's too hot outside

HOBBIES
                  Reading
                  Playing Violin
                  Singing (though she only does it when no one's around)

STRENGTHS
                  Positivity
                  Willingness to learn

WEAKNESSES
                  Easy to take advantage of
                  Unwilling to accept harsh realities

FEARS
                  Large animals
                  People who have quick tempers

xxxH I S T O R Y xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              CHILDHOOD Journey's youth was happy. Her sister was her hero, always looking out for her and making sure she was healthy and happy. They were both very loved by their father as well, and it didn't seem abnormal to her that her mother wasn't around much. When Chessie went off to Hogwarts, Journey felt rather lonely, but was comforted by the letters and everything her sister told her about the school. Journey's own schooling is her distraction from her loneliness, and she is at the top of her class. She just hopes that one day she can follow her sister to magic school, and get to share in the excitement.

SCHOOL YEARS
                  FIRST YEAR Information
                  SECOND YEAR Information
                  THIRD YEAR Information
                  FOURTH YEAR Information
                  FIFTH YEAR Information
                  SIXTH YEAR Information
                  SEVENTH YEAR Information

POST GRADUATION Information

xxxR E L A T I O N S H I P S xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              FAMILY Father: Kevan Van Asten ■ Mother: Lorraine Van Asten ■ Sister: Chelsea Van Asten
              FRIENDS ---
              BEST FRIEND ---
              ROMANTIC INTEREST ---
              ENEMIES ---
              PETS Swedish Vallhund, Frodo

The Graveyard (Trash)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items