User ImageUser Image

User Image

Palinoia
English, n.
The obsessive repetition of an act
until it is perfected or mastered.

August, 2018

User Image

Pinching the bridge of her nose firmly, Eden let out a heavy sigh. Careful hands turned the decorations on her vanity this way and that, brushed away a stray piece of lint, and positioned a makeup brush just so. But the sixth picture revealed a light source that…could have been better. It had to be better. She set her phone down with an indignant huff and went to grab the ring light Cesc had made her. She’d found a stand that would allow her to position it higher if necessary, and even change its angle with more precision. She dragged it across her room and propped it up nice and tall, angled down toward the vanity so any shadows would be blanked out of existence. Anything metal gleamed proudly and Eden couldn’t help but grin. This had to be it!

After readjusting the makeup and candle on the table two more times, it was finally perfect. The nymph settled down on her bed and opened the first of her three editing apps, determined to make it exactly what her feed needed. She needed to increase the brightness, dim down the contrast, make it cooler, add a bit of a glow, and decrease the saturation just a hair. Next was the sharpness, amped up so that one could see the individual bristles on the makeup brush and the tiny name of each pan of eyeshadow. The whole process easily took another twenty minutes. But she couldn’t just immediately post it—no, there was an algorithm to manipulate. After double-checking, it looked like she would have to wait another hour or two. For the first time in a while she wanted to post it immediately, but… No, she had to do this perfectly.

---

She stared hard at herself in the mirror of her vanity and clenched her fists tightly. This was the second attempt at creating anything to post today, but it was going horribly. Things just weren’t blending well enough, the colors didn’t mesh well, and her contour had been overdone in her eagerness to finish. This was unacceptable—posting this would be humiliating. Eden let out a tired sigh and reached for her makeup wipes, watching as the carefully-painted mask was swept away in an instant.

Her third attempt was at least passable, and could be polished off with the right filter. Her hair had become even duller in the past few weeks, now dusty and muted instead of just pale. She had had to apply her foundation further down her neck today so she wouldn’t look like an absolute ghost and she had needed a layer of peach color-corrector under her concealer to hide her dark circles. But the moody warm tones of her eyeshadow were expertly and obsessively blended, a layer of amber shimmer catching the light whenever she blinked. Maybe she should use a boomerang instead of a regular picture this time?

Unfortunately, boomerangs were often the most difficult post format. It took her about ten tries to get it right—tilting and righting her head, closing and opening her eyes, smiling and frowning again when it didn’t work right. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she managed to film a good boomerang of herself turning her head coyly and closing her eyes as a spider lily bloomed in her hair. The combination of the effort and the repeated use of her powers, even so minimally, had left her with a burning ache behind her eyes and at the base of her neck. But it was perfect, finally, and she could rest now. And sure enough, the comments and likes started rolling in mere moments after she had posted it. Even the company she had been trying to appeal to had noticed! Another success, for now.

---

It was as if a tornado had hit the bedroom, ripping nearly all of Eden’s clothes from her closet and drawers. Sweatshirts, tank tops, cardigans, kimonos, scarves—the rug on her floor had been completely obscured. Nothing seemed right. Things were too tight, too loose, not long enough, too long… Or they just plain didn’t go together. None of the outfits in her head looked right in reality and she couldn’t help thinking that it was because she didn’t have any freaking legs. She had all of these ideas, all of this potential, and no way to realize it. A flare of anger surged up and Eden growled as she threw another top to the ground.

They needed to be leaving now and she was bumbling around like some ridiculous child throwing a tantrum. Her throat burned with the threat of tears and she had to stop and take a breath to keep her eyes from clouding over. How completely stupid could she be? They were going to the damn movie theater; she would be in the dark almost the entire time! No one would even care what she wore! And yet…

”Eden, is everything okay? We’re going to be late.”

Ian’s voice drifting from the living room sent a brief flash of panic through her chest. ”Just a second!” Floundering for a few moments, Eden finally settled on a thrifted, oversize flannel. Thank god for the lampshading trend! She had customized it to have a shorter hem in the front, but it still hung down around her ribbon enough to provide a bit more warmth. And she had been certain to get it from the men’s section so it wasn’t just a thin plaid shirt trying to pass itself off as flannel. The sleeves hung long enough to conceal her hands and she curled her fingers around their hems, unable to suppress a soft smile. Something about being cozy and all wrapped up put her at ease, and she felt the agitation in her body ebb away. The nymph let out a long, slow breath and closed her eyes. It was going to be okay. She topped the shirt off with a chunky knitted scarf before drifting to her jewelry box. She went straight for an old stand-by: statement earrings with a jacket closure that framed her face nicely and made her cozy look a bit more put-together. This would do just fine, it was fine.

It took quite a bit of self-control to pull herself away from the mess and her closet, and she didn’t dare look in the mirror before heading toward the living room. What she had on was perfectly fine.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,077 words = 5 points
1000-word bonus = 2 points

TOTAL: 7 points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Hikikomori (引き篭もり)
Japanese, n.
An adolescent or a young adult who has withdrawn from social life,
often obsessed with television, internet, and video games,
and rarely ever leaves one's room.

September, 2018

User Image

She heard him coming before the gentle knock on her door. Ian was a quiet man in general, in nearly everything he did, but the silence in Eden’s room was enough to amplify even the gentle rustling of leaves outside. She felt sorry for him; she really did. He could never have hoped to be prepared for helping her through this, and could never truly understand. Ian had explained to her a small handful of times that he had experienced depression, too, but… This didn’t feel like the same thing. Eden could easily say that she hated herself, and what she was at her very core. Why couldn’t she just be—normal?

“Eden?” Even his voice was timid, like how he always acted around her these days. “Delicately,” she thought. “As if I’ll shatter if he says the wrong thing.”

“Yeah?”
Her own voice was muffled and soft, breathed out on an exhale as she looked up from her phone. Ian pushed the door open just enough to poke his head in, no doubt not wanting to intrude. Did she want him to?

“I’m going to mom and dad’s house today to say hi. Do you want to come? I…I know they’d really like to see you.” There it was. He always tried to appeal to her, maybe entice her with nice things or happy feelings. Logically, Eden knew that he was never trying to guilt her into doing things; Ian didn’t have a manipulative bone in his entire body. But with her sensitive heart, rubbed raw from all her worries and anxiety and over-thinking, it only made her feel worse.

She took a moment to respond while running a hand through her dull hair. Even its usual volume and luster had faded along with its color, and the natural waves had fallen limp and heavy. “I dunno, I… I’m not really feeling good today.” She couldn’t look at him when she said it, couldn’t watch his face fall and his eyes hollow out. He’d been trying for weeks to get her to be more social and active, even just to take a quick trip to the store for some fresh air. His attempts had been successful every now and then, but lately those victories came fewer and further between. Would he keep trying? Would he push harder? Or would he even find his bravery and try to crack through her wall?

“You sure?” The door opened a bit more and she knew he would lean against the doorframe, a hand rubbing at his neck. “Have you…eaten today? Mom’s going to make a nice big salad. And she just got a bunch of big peaches off her tree; I know those are your favorite.” He offered a hopeful smile that widened a bit more after a moment. “I bet she’d make you a little cobbler or a smoothie.”

“Yeah, I did. I just…don’t think I slept well.” She sighed heavily and rubbed a hand over her eyes. It was so much easier to just lie. “But tell them I say hi, okay? And I’m sorry.” Tired, faded green eyes met their match as Ian regarded her in silence. His mouth sagged before his lips pressed together in a resigned smile. She meant it for him as well, but did he know?

Ian took a slow breath before reaching for the doorknob again. “Alright. Well, I hope you feel better. I’ll bring some peaches home for you. Maybe…maybe try to eat a little more? Or soak in the bath for a bit? Just text me if you need anything.”

They were both reasonable ideas. Ian knew how she fed and other ways she could rejuvenate herself, and how things worked as far as caring for her. And he had no doubt noticed a significant lack of withered plants in the apartment. When she had first come home, and for some time after, nearly every day there was a new plant that had begun to droop or fade. Ian had always been incredible with them and able to nurse them back to health quite quickly. But he hadn’t needed to do that in months. Did he know she was restricting herself to virtually nothing? Most days, she got by with a long bath for hydration or some time spent on her window seat for some light. And only when she felt she might actually faint did she let herself sip ever so slightly from a plant nearby. She never fed from Ian anymore—not even to get him to leave her alone.

“Okay, thanks.” And after a long pause, just before he disappeared back into the hallway: “…love you.”

---

“What do you think of this color? Too bright?”

Eden glanced away from the television to look at Caroline where she sat to her left, in a chair scooted up to the coffee table. She was digging through Eden’s extensive collection of nail polishes and had held up a vibrant green. Eden would never have bought it if she didn’t like the color itself, but…

“It’s cute with your hair, but not really for fall,” she murmured. Caroline quirked her mouth and nodded, tilting her head to the side. They were spending the afternoon inside, the first of the fall rains coming down in a soft, lulling roar outside. Caroline had suggested manicures, but Eden hadn’t exactly engaged with the activity just yet. But she’d fetched her meticulously organized storage case for her aunt before settling back on the couch. “Try that burnt orange color.”

She listened to the clinking of the little glass bottles against their acrylic case as Caroline searched. They were watching a fashion competition show, or at least partly. If asked, Eden wouldn’t have been able to explain what had happened in the last ten minutes or so.

“Oh, this is nice! You’re so good,” the redhead laughed. She pushed the case toward her niece with a beaming smile. “Here—pick a color. I’ll do your nails, and while yours are drying I’ll do my toes. Then you can do mine.” She patted the coffee table as a means of showing Eden where to sit.

It was an interesting tactic, she had to admit. Where Ian was all questions and gentle, feather-light suggestions, Caroline’s strategy was making executive decisions. It wasn’t that she didn’t accept any input or refusal; she just didn’t give other options at the beginning. But in this case, she also wasn’t suggesting a trip for errands or socialization. Painting nails was an easy enough task, and even enjoyable—not to mention something done at home. Reluctantly, the nymph Frei pushed herself off the couch to settle on the floor between it and the table. She went for a reliable favorite, a rich and decadent burgundy hue. After all, autumn was the season of dark neutrals. Though she may be a creature of spring and light and fresh blossoms, Eden would always hold autumn as her favorite season.

Thankfully Caroline took the time to properly file her nails and trim her cuticles, thanks in part to Eden’s manicure kit. She carefully and painstakingly layered each nail with a base coat, followed by two coats of polish and a ‘diamond shine’ top coat—but only after letting each layer dry completely. Eden didn’t watch at first, but the woman’s gentle and comforting touch eventually drew her attention away from the drama on the TV. When she could feel Caroline glancing up at her she didn’t meet her gaze. Instead, her own eyes were focused on her hands. Something about the way the brush slid over her nails, painting dark, perfect streaks, helped her breathe a little easier. By the time her own nails were done she could even feel her mouth lift into a small smile.

“There! Wow, I love this color on you.” Caroline beamed at her and Eden couldn’t help returning the grin with a slightly brighter smile of her own. “Okay, so we’ll let those dry for a bit. Just sit back and relax,” she crooned with a laugh. Eden let her weight settle back against the couch and she watched Caroline adjust in the chair. She propped a foot on the edge of the coffee table to start working on her toes, humming softly. The sound was soothing, but Eden’s attention drifted back to the television. And it was just in time for the fashion show-like presentation of the contestants’ work. Most of it was beautiful as always, but a few of them went with more bold and daring looks this week. Sometimes it worked; this time it didn’t.

She didn’t realize how much time had passed as she zoned out on the show until Caroline clapped her hands with another smile. “Time for my nails! You better not mess them up!” She wrinkled her nose and laughed again as she teased her niece. Eden smiled and had to just roll her eyes. Like she would ever mess things up on purpose!

It was easy to lose herself in the ministrations of the manicure. She gently pushed back and trimmed Caroline’s cuticles, delicately filed and buffed her nails. Each swipe of the paintbrush was purposeful and deliberate. She rolled the polish bottle between her hands instead of shaking it; bubbles were the enemy of a durable manicure. She even added a black accent nail at Caroline’s request for a bit more attitude. The redhead could pull it off; she was a force to be reckoned with in the courtroom.

The last swipe of top coat was completed with a flourish and the nymph even smiled with her teeth this time. “There, all done.” Caroline returned her glow with a bright gleam and held her hands up to admire her handiwork.

“Gorgeous! Flawless! Incredible! Not that I expected any less from you, darling.” Eden just let out a soft laugh as she carefully put the bottles back in their assigned seats. “Screw fifty-dollar manicures, I’m just coming to you from now on!”

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,669 words = 8 points
1000+ word bonus = 2 points

TOTAL: 10 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:35 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Bebasi (बेबसी)
Hindi, n.
A feeling of helplessness and impotency
that overcomes an individual.

October, 2018

User Image

As the days grew shorter and the weather became colder, Eden couldn’t help feeling a small glow of hope despite her worries. October meant Halloween, and even the bubbliest of people often got into the spirit. Perhaps this could be her chance to really test the waters, to indulge in her ‘darker’ interests with little risk of negative reception. After all, people were posting hauls of décor left and right, darker makeup looks, costumes, and all sorts of spooky things. Not that she had any ghost stories to tell; those were more Dair’s cup of tea.

Earlier in the day she had posted a video story for the first time in numerous weeks, letting her followers know she was going on a shopping spree. Not for clothes this time—for Halloween décor. She had visited a few different stores, hunted for bargains and deals wherever she could, and had ended up coming home with nearly a dozen of Ian’s canvas totes stuffed full to bursting. Trinkets, lights, wall art, sculptures; she’d probably gone a bit overboard. But the opportunity to full indulge could not be taken lightly at this point. And if her followers didn’t like it, she could at least enjoy it privately.

It had only taken Eden one day to place everything around the apartment. Ian had been at work in the shop, even if autumn was their slower season. She had meticulously decorated nearly every place she possibly could, and she knew that Ian would not deny her. Not when this was the most active and engaged he had likely seen her in months. Silky, delicate spider webs stretched between the light fixtures, false maroon and black roses rested in various vases and hollowed-out skulls on tables, and stacks of fake books advertising grimoires and curses and other occult texts piled up on bookshelves and tables alike. Her usual soft white fairy lights were replaced with moody orange and purple and she had draped intricate panels of black lace over the window curtains and the end of her bed. Electric candles glowed from virtually every flat surface she could find, and she’d made sure to get the ones that could be changed to various colors with the click of a button.

However, her selections had been very thoroughly considered. Some of the stores had displayed more kitschy and silly decorations as well, but she had avoided them with a wide berth. Everything she had chosen possessed a somewhat vintage, Victorian vibe and she had strived for elegance in every purchase. Even the fake foliage she had bought was the best of its kind. After all, it had to be—it had to replace anything she might otherwise be able to create herself. She could no longer pull countless deep red peonies or coax out delicate spindly spider lilies. Possibly one or two here or there, but not like she truly desired. And she needed to conserve that energy for her own body.

“Wow—” Ian had blinked owlishly upon returning home that evening to an apartment cast in a purple glow. “You uh… You really went all out, huh?” From where she sat on the couch Eden’s smile faded for a brief moment. Was it too much? Did he hate it? She could still take it back, she supposed… “It looks really nice, actually. Very festive.” His smile soothed the roiling worry in her chest and her mouth relaxed. It did look good. She hoped her viewers would feel the same.

Finding the perfect way to show off her handiwork had been difficult. Initially she had wanted to pair it with a more dramatic makeup look, something with dark smoky eyes and a vampy lip, possibly more severe eyeliner. But none of her selfies turned out right; she could only see every little thing wrong with them. She settled on a simple shot of her lips, neck, and shoulders: nearly-black lipstick and her most ornate gothic choker. She would place it at the end of a series of pictures, luring people in with her beautiful sense of interior design. There was a shot of her bedroom, the living room, and one focused on the candles and faux flowers on her vanity table. She made sure to keep the lighting bright to contrast the dark décor, hoping to find some sort of middle ground that would please everyone. Maybe that was the secret?

For the first time in months she had found herself smiling when she hit the ‘post’ button. She couldn’t help embracing that little flicker of optimism that bloomed inside her; surely this would go over well enough. That was all she could hope for. Everything looked pretty, was meticulously and expertly arranged, and she had agonized over the lighting and angles until they were perfect. It had to work.

And sure enough, the feedback began to roll in not long after the post went live. It certainly broke away from her usual aesthetic, but the initial comments seemed positive.

”ooh, spooky! but so pretty~”
“omg this is everything!!”
“yaaas, we stan a Halloween queen!”

But soon the nitpicking began. She watched them pop up like insidious little termites, crawling out of the woodwork that was the internet. The anonymity of it all made them bold. But surprisingly, the sting of their words had been dulled to a mere pinprick.

”more flowers! what about some dahlias or spider lilies?”
“oh, so dark! didn’t expect this from our bubblegum princess”
“why so many skulls and skeletons? they’re kinda gross”
“i expected u to go for more of a cutesy vibe”

Eden couldn’t even muster the energy to be very upset. In the past, these sorts of comments might have made her cry or throw a fit. But now? There were no tears, no grimaces or rolling eyes. In fact, there was little if any hint of emotion on her thinning face. She was just... exhausted. Was she really surprised? Not in the slightest. She half expected these sort of responses by now, and she should have known they would pop up yet again. Even in October, when the entire world had the excuse to get a little dark and moody. Apparently, she hadn’t nailed the right kind of dark and moody. Would she ever be able to find it?

Eden dragged her hands over her face as she drifted to settle on her bed. Her lipstick smeared down her chin and she stared at the messy swipe of inky color on her palm. Hollow eyes took in the sight of her room, the crisp and cold light of a fall day having faded to a dull gray mist. What was she supposed to do? What did they want from her? “Perfection. Nothing less,” her mind sneered at her. The nymph bit down hard on her lip until it stung in protest, and drew in a shaky breath.

Glancing down at her palm again, Eden rubbed firmly at the lipstick smear until it faded away into nothingness. But even though her pale skin shown through again, she could see remnants of the darkness in the soft creases of her skin. Would she ever be able to wipe them away?

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,201 words = 6 points

TOTAL: 8 points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:45 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Perfectly Fine
November, 2018

Eden ventures out to meet up with Cesc,
giving him the opportunity to check on her.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
200-word post x11 = 11 points
5-post bonus x2 = 2 points
20-post bonus = 5 points

TOTAL: 18 Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Yuyin (余音)
Chinese, n.
The remnants of a sound that stay in the ears
after the sound has stopped.

Mid-December, 2018

User Image

“…den? Eden?”

Blinking away the haze that had settled over her mind as she stared at the television, Eden glanced over at Ian. He was sitting on the couch with his hands folded in his lap and his thick brows knitted together. Oh, she knew that look. After her visit with Cesc she hadn’t improved and he had no doubt noticed. He would be curious. “Are you… Are you okay?”

The nymph drew in a slow breath and let it out heavily as she weighed the words in her head. Did she toe that line and try to explain? Or should she keep that wall tightly guarded and sturdy? This was Ian, not some stranger. She had already broken down to Cesc about her struggles, but… The other Raevan had a sense of kinship that Ian would not. Would he even be able to understand? Should she give him a chance to?

“Yeah, I—“ She swallowed. Her mouth was dry and her throat rough from lack of use over the past few weeks. “I’m okay. Just tired,” she mumbled. She should have known he wouldn’t take that for an answer. Not after months of hearing the same thing.

Ian was quiet for a long moment before he gently cleared his throat and shifted his weight on the couch. “You.. you’ve been saying that a lot lately. You know, um…” He took a breath. “I know I’m not a Raevan but I do want to help you. If… If there’s anything you want to talk about, I want you to feel comfortable coming to me. About anything.” He was starting off gentle, his tone soft and shy but nonetheless genuine. She did want to talk to him—oh god she did! But speaking her feelings out loud, putting them into words… Even just the thought exhausted her. She looked down at her nails and picked at a hangnail as she chewed on her lip.

“I know,” she murmured. “I know, I just… I can’t really put it into words. It’s not easy to explain.” She felt suddenly, achingly small in the big chair and she ran a hand through her hair. The veins beneath her skin were startlingly blue and she paused to look at them, her throat tightening. Ian wasn’t blind. And here he was, just trying to help. Why couldn’t she let him? Was it so bad to let anyone in?

“Eden, I don’t know how to help you. I can’t see you like this, I don’t—“ He drew in a sharp breath, the sound rattling in his chest. That pulled her gaze to him and she felt her rune squeeze tightly. It seemed emotions were difficult for both of the Flynns to handle. “If you won’t tell me what’s wrong, I can’t help you. I just want you to be okay. I know… I know ‘happy’ can be a little much to ask sometimes, so…” She watched his Adam’s apple bob as he swallowed thickly. Ian had confided in her in the past, about his prior struggles with depression. She didn’t doubt he understood the aching hollow feeling in her chest, the sheer amount of impossible effort that every potential task brought with it.

Her ribbon coiled tighter beneath her as she sunk down further into her blanket, watching the steam curl off of her mug of tea beside her. She wanted to feel better, or at least work toward it, but… There were so many things wrong—so many things looming over her. Where could she even think about starting? Her worries regarding her followers and her online persona would likely seem trivial and childish. So people didn’t always like her; so what? Logically, she understood that not every person she encountered in her entire life would love her. It was impossible. But the anonymity of the comments section brought out the worst in people at times. She could no longer give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. Ignorance could not always excuse rudeness.

And what of her self-hatred? That would just scare him off completely. To find out that she despised an entire aspect of her very being would likely break his heart. From what she knew of how he had worked to create her, he hadn’t necessarily chosen her essence. But pairing it with something so completely different in nature… Had he done that on purpose? She highly doubted he had done it out of spite or to see her suffer this way. But the ridiculous oxymoron still hurt. How could she possibly be a nymph when she was required to be so destructive in order to simply survive?

“I—“ Her voice cracked and she clamped her mouth shut for a moment. “I’m sorry, I just… I don’t want to talk about it right now. I will, eventually, I…” She glanced at him as her fingers curled in her blanket. “I promise. I just need some time.”

But how much time would it take? How bad would it have to get? Why couldn’t she just talk to him? He was almost literally begging her to do so, and yet she still resisted. Eden sucked in another deep breath and pushed herself out of the chair, drifting toward her room.

“Eden, wait—“

“Please, I just need to sleep. I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Eden!” She heard him get up and follow her, and she floated more quickly toward her door. “Eden, please. Just talk to me. It's been months; you’re scaring me!”

The words stung more than he had intended, she was sure. She had pushed open her door but his hand blocked her from shutting it. When she felt brave enough to look at his face she saw only distress and worry, his eyes rimmed in red. How had she not noticed before? He sported similar but much less severe shadows beneath his eyes as well.

“Ian, please don’t, I just—“

“Eden. I’m your guardian, you can trust me! I just don’t want anything bad to happen to you. If I can help, I—“

She bristled in her desperation, her wings flaring open. Her rune pulsed brightly and she clenched her hands into fists. Stop! Ian, please just leave me—!“

Her ears began to ring and the room shifted suddenly, as if the direction of its gravity had changed. Eden’s head spun and Ian seemed to swim before her and she blinked rapidly in an attempt to get him to stop. She briefly heard him call her name over the harsh noise before she felt her entire body go slack. Her vision darkened around the edges as she watched Ian dive to catch her, her knuckles banging harshly against the wood floor.

She would never be able to describe the feeling, not in a way that someone else could understand. It was so warm, so bright and grand and it just filled her up all the way to her fingertips. The energy came rushing at her like a tidal wave from all sides, wrapping her up in its glowing arms. She hadn’t realized how cold she had been until now.

The rosy glow of her rune filled the room and her vision until the shapes started to condense. Her bed, white and fluffy and so inviting; Ian, staring down at her as if he’d seen a ghost; her plants, slumped over and dried to dark, limp crisps. Eden sighed in relief and pulled her head up and out of Ian’s hand.

“..den! Eden, can you hear me?!”

Dreamy eyes locked on Ian’s face again and she managed a sleepy smile. She felt so much better, but… Why wasn’t he happy?

It was only when her vision sharpened completely that she saw it: his already fair skin was pale as ash, as if he were made of stark white printer paper. His eyes were sunken and dark, so dark, it looked as if he had been punched in the face. “Ian?”

His name seemed to bring him momentary relief, but it was soon replaced by panic. His own eyes fluttered before he braced himself with an arm on the ground. “Eden… Eden, call…” And before she realized what was happening, he was down. His shoulder connected with the hard wood floor before his head did, breaking some of the momentum. He didn’t move.

“Ian?” When she received no response, Eden shook him gently at the shoulder. “Ian, wake up. Ian?” Panic stabbed icy cold in her chest as she rolled him onto his back. “Ian! …Dad! Wake up!” She looked frantically around her room, her hands trembling as they found his throat and searched for his pulse. She’d seen it done on TV plenty of times. Why couldn’t she—there! He was still alive, at least, but unconscious. Had she..?

The plants on her window sill were the deadest she had ever seen. They crumbled before her eyes, the leaves and stems so dark they looked burned. She had done this? What had happened? A glance down at her ribbon revealed a vibrant spray of her usual cherry blossoms along its length, and there were various other blooms scattered in her hair. She didn’t feel tired. Had her essence saved itself at the expense of all life nearby?

“Ian, hold on—“ She flew to the living room to get her cell phone, fumbling and dropping it on the floor in the process. Her fingers pounded at the touch screen as she made her way hurriedly back to her bedroom. The ringing on the other end of the line only agitated her heartrate even more, and she patted Ian’s cheek firmly. After what felt like an absolute eternity, someone picked up.

“911, what is your emergency?”

“My.. My dad passed out, please help! He won’t wake up, I don’t— Please!

User Image

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,645 words = 8 points
1000-word bonus = 2 points
Art Points
Full shading = 6 points
Waist-Up x2 (Full-body Frei) = 6 points
Full background = 6 points

TOTAL: 28 points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Bel Hevi
Tok Pisin, n.
Lit. "belly heavy"; a tangible, heavy sinking feeling
often experienced in tandem with great sadness.

Late December, 2018

User Image

User Image

After calling the paramedics Eden had clung to Ian’s hand for as long as they’d let her. She rode with him in the ambulance, and had helped them call her grandparents and Caroline. They had admitted him to the hospital with ‘severe exhaustion’ plastered on his chart—she knew better. But how could she explain? She couldn’t just put his energy back; it didn’t work that way. And if she told them she’d caused this, what would happen? Would she be punished? Scolded? Feared? She couldn’t tell the hospital staff, and she even hesitated to tell Caroline and her grandparents. They were about as understanding as she could have expected, but she didn’t miss the hesitation in their eyes. It seemed only her improved appearance helped calm them.

Thankfully Ian had woken up shortly after the paramedics had arrived, but he was pitifully weak. He had nearly dropped again when they tried to stand him up, and went a number of days before attempting it again. But eventually the hospital was satisfied after a lot of hydration and rest, and they were allowed to go home. Caroline had been feeding Ursula, but Eden had stayed at the hospital at all times. How could she have possibly thought of leaving him alone? After what she did?

All of Ian’s insistence that it wasn’t her fault—that she hadn’t meant to and he didn’t hold it against her—fell on deaf ears. How could she believe such a thing? She had pushed herself to the brink out of her own selfish stupidity, and she’d ended up hurting him when he was only trying to help. Of course it was her fault. Even if she hadn’t done it on purpose, she had still done it. And now she had to deal with the consequences.

Unfortunately, Eden had never been good with consequences. And so, she simply avoided Ian as much as she could. He went back to work shortly after returning home, insisting that his job wasn’t grueling and that he was ‘fine.’ He tried to lure her downstairs with gentle smiles and the promise of letting her arrange the flowers however she wanted, but just being around him made a heavy, aching weight settle in her chest. The image of him unconscious, unmoving and so dreadfully pale, was seared into her mind. That combined with the return of her vibrant, flourishing blooms was all she saw when she looked at him.

Raking a hand through her hair, Eden settled further into the warm water of the bathtub. Her rune glowed brightly again, even though she had yet to feed unless she absolutely needed to since the incident. She had kept the light off in the bathroom, wanting to simply be alone and quiet, but a candle burned softly on the edge of the tub. She watched the flame with heavily-lidded eyes and breathed in the warm scent of vanilla mixed with the rose bubbles in her bath water. She had lost track of how much time she’d spent simply soaking, but the water remained warm.

In the aftermath of what had happened, the nymph found herself feeling even worse. If she had needed any further evidence of her dark nature, this was certainly it. She had drained Ian so thoroughly he’d needed hospital time to recover. If she had needed just a touch more energy, would she have killed him? Just the thought tightened her throat and sent ice flooding through her veins. She sank even more until the water rimmed her face and her ears were submerged. The dull hum of the world was muffled into true silence and she closed her eyes with a heavy sigh.

Who could she talk to about this? Certainly not Ian; she couldn’t even face him. Caroline was out of town, and having this sort of conversation over the phone seemed daunting and bothersome. She couldn’t trouble her with this now. Vesna? Probably not. Their last attempt at a meaningful conversation had been less than successful. Vesna meant well, of course—but it seemed to her that Eden truly was the way she portrayed herself online. Why would she be upset? What could she possibly be worried about? If only she knew.

She couldn’t possibly bother Cesc with this again. She knew he would happily (for lack of a better word) listen, but to go to him yet another time with these silly worries seemed rude and excessive. She had already burdened him enough. And her grandparents were even more removed from the situation than Vesna. They wouldn’t be able to help, she knew that well.

So where did that leave her? Who else did she have? Green eyes stared up at the ceiling, watching the light from her candle flicker across the white paint. She had no one else, no other options. Ian had tried to suggest a therapist, but the thought only made her roll her eyes. It was their job to listen and help, of course, but how could they possibly understand this? Her worries were entirely other from anything they had likely dealt with before. It would only be a giant waste of time and effort, not to mention money.

Eden let herself toe at her powers, prodding them gently. Flowers bloomed along her arms and detached to float in the bath water and she pushed until the bath was almost entirely full. She coaxed their leaves up and over the edge, vines of jasmine climbing up the tile wall as if she were painting them on with a brush. She couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Creating was warm and bright and free, and she missed it. As she relaxed back against the edge of the tub and rested her head on her spa pillow, the nymph sighed wistfully. Perhaps she would leave these here for the time being. She couldn’t feed off of things she created, after all.

At least for tonight, perhaps just being with herself would be enough.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,002 words = 5 points
Art Points
Full shading = 6 points
Headshot = 1 point
Minimal background = 1 point

TOTAL: 15 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Morriña
Galician, n.
A very deep, nostalgic and melancholic homesickness
experienced as one intensely longs to return home;
"a 'saudade' so strong it can even kill."

Early January, 2019

User Image

Eden chewed on the fragile tip of her fingernail as she checked the bus routes again, possibly for the fifth time since boarding the bus. She had kept a careful eye out for the right number, and had even asked the driver if his route went where she wanted to go, but even those three levels of assurance did little to soothe the restlessness in her chest. Then again, her anxiety wasn’t exactly related to the possibility of getting lost. Even if she did, she could always call Ian. He would likely ask questions, but at least she would be able to get home.

Barton was still sleeping under its pale winter blanket as she watched it flow by out the window. A recent surprise snowstorm had left a blanket of crisp white on top of the buildings and grass, and the trees were bare and dark in their slumber. Even the evergreens and remaining shrubs looked tired. Eden couldn’t help sympathizing with them. She had meant to start this daytrip earlier in the morning to take advantage of all the daylight she could, but had accidentally slept in. And then it had taken her longer than she’d wanted to drag herself out from beneath her covers. For once, however, at least getting dressed had been easy: a sweatshirt under a trendy puffer coat, and a high bun. She wasn’t going to take any pictures today, and she didn’t intend to see anyone she knew. She couldn’t bring herself to care any more than that.

The ride seemed to drag on and on, or perhaps it was only because of her anticipation. When she arrived, would she feel better? Would she find an answer, or even just a hint? Or would this just be a colossal waste of her time? The meadow didn’t exist anymore, but perhaps Antheia’s spirit remained. After all, she had felt some sort of connection when they had stopped at the outlets before--even if it had been a heartbreaking one.

As she drifted off the bus like a lost and lonely balloon, Eden looked up at the sprawling complex. It was all carefully crafted brick and wrought iron accents, fluorescent signs advertising the different shops with their big signs and flashy ads in the windows. They had peppered the concrete ‘streets’ with little trees and flowerpots, but any signs of native plant life had been wiped out completely. She swallowed thickly and picked one of the branching aisles at random.

Given that it was a weekday, the mall was considerably less crowded than it might have been otherwise. Eden was thankful for the lack of crowds as she made her way through the miniature ‘town’ they had created. There were benches and food carts mixed in with retail stores, and even a large fountain at the very center. However, the sky was kept behind a barrier of glass and interlocking wrought iron. She could see the appeal; on a better day, she might have even enjoyed herself or ventured into a few of the shops to browse. But today she could feel the glass ceiling weighing down on her and it made her restless. When she managed to find her way to the outside of the mall and out from underneath the cover, she took a deep breath.

Whatever had been here when the outlets were new was gone. There was none of that familiar pull, and no sense of nostalgia or memory came to the surface. Though the sight of the outlets still left her heartbroken and wondering what might have been, that sharp ache from before was notably absent.

The nymph Frei settled on one of the benches facing the parking lot to take a breather. Even floating, something that had always come as easily as breathing, was beginning to feel like too much work. Where initially she had been reluctant to go out simply because of her depression, now it truly was the sort of fatigue she had been faking. For once she was grateful for not needing to walk—surely that would be more physically demanding than floating!

“Are you alright, dear?”

Tired green eyes blinked themselves clear of the fog of self-reflection at the sound of a voice. An elderly woman was standing near the bench and watching her carefully. But where Eden expected to find caution and confusion, she only saw concern. “Oh, um—Yeah, I’m okay. Thanks, though.” The woman didn’t appear convinced. Her already thin lips pressed together and a deeper line appeared between her brows. She shifted to settle down on the bench with a heavy sigh, as if the movement were difficult for her. Eden managed a small smile and pulled her phone out of her purse. She’d already been here for two hours.

“My, this mall is quite large, isn’t it! I used to be able to walk the whole place with no problem. They’ve added on recently, and I believe they intend to expand it even more.”

Eden glanced at the woman again and nodded. “Yeah, I um… I was here when it first went in, and it was really small. Nothing like this.” She turned to look over her shoulder down the little faux street. Even looking at it made her claustrophobic.

“Are you quite sure you’re alright? You look very tired, dear. Do you… You know your way home, right?” The woman shifted to place a gentle, papery hand on Eden’s arm. Normally she might have recoiled at being touched without warning—without her permission—but the gesture was so genuine and soft that she didn’t mind. She really must look a mess; no makeup, dramatic dark circles beneath her eyes, and oversized clothing that swallowed up her incomplete body.

It took her a long moment to respond. This woman had the same sort of energy that Cesc had in the café: warm and gentle, but achingly sincere. Her throat tightened and Eden had to swallow thickly against it in order for her voice to work. “I… I am tired.” She smiled, but it was dim and forced and she knew the woman could tell. “But I’m okay. And yeah—I know the bus routes. But thank you.” That same sense of relief washed over her. She had felt it in the café with Cesc, too. Someone had noticed; someone she didn’t even know! She still wasn’t ready to explain, and certainly not at the drop of a hat, but letting people see how she truly felt was a step.

However, the relief came with a strange twinge of self-consciousness that clawed at her chest. Was it that obvious and concerning that a random stranger, someone who was just passing by and had their own things to worry about, had felt the need to stop and check on her? Did she look that terrible? Just how bad had she gotten? Maybe Ian’s drawn, worried face wasn’t as much of an overreaction as she’d thought.

“Well… If you’re sure you’re alright, then. Do take care of yourself, sweetheart.” She offered a warm smile and got to her feet with stiff groan. “You know, they have an excellent little coffee shop just down the way. Delicious pastries and tea. Maybe it would cheer you up?” She stooped to pat Eden’s hand again. If only she could—maybe it really would make her feel better, if only for a moment. The nymph managed a smile as the woman walked away but it quickly faded and she sighed. Another glance at her phone combined with the dwindling glow of daylight confirmed her suspicion that she should head home.

As she pushed herself up and off the bench she couldn’t help but think that her own sigh of effort sounded similar to the old woman’s. No wonder she had stopped to see if she was alright.

The bus ride home went by considerably faster than the trip to the outlets. Or maybe she had simply zoned out completely and lost track of time. Even the short trek from the bus stop to their building—in the crisp cold of early evening--was hardly noticed. Thankfully Ian was still in the shop when she arrived home and she was able to slip upstairs without being noticed. Eden hesitated in the living room, wondering if she should at least try to be less of a recluse for Ian’s sake. But eventually she drifted into the room, leaving the door ajar just enough for Ursula to come and go as she pleased before she changed and burrowed into her bed again. Ian would find her here anyway, so she might as well be comfortable.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,446 words = 7 points
1,000-word bonus = 2 points

TOTAL: 9 points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Waldeinsamkeit
German, n.
Woodland solitude; the feeling of being
alone in the woods.

Mid-January, 2019

User Image

Eden dragged her hands down her face as she sank to the ground among the trees, and let out a loud sigh. Admittedly she was vastly unprepared for venturing through the woods but she hasn't expected finding a large, open expanse of grass to be this difficult. This was the fifth lead she had followed and so far they had all been disappointing dead ends.

The websites she had found after a night of desperate googling and a shameful deep dive into the conspiracy theory side of the internet had listed this as an especially important meadow. There were rumors of ‘spirits’ all around it, and numerous overlapping accounts of a beautiful woman who appeared and disappeared seemingly at the drop of a hat. She could very well be a ghost or faerie or something else, but… Eden was willing to bet she was another nymph. And if not, perhaps she could at least provide some directions.

The first two leads had been even more obviously false than this one. The first meadow had been paved over much like Antheia's, with even less manufactured foliage. The second had still existed, but the grasses and anything else had been dried to a crisp from the harshness of winter. If Ian's memories of Antheia's meadow were to be believed, it should have been lush and green even in the heart of January. That nymph was obviously gone, but Eden had preferred not to consider the details. The following two attempts had held even more promise, but no one had visited or responded to her calls. If they had been around, they clearly hadn't wanted to talk.

When had it come to this? Hiking through the woods by herself, hiding things from Ian under the guise of 'getting fresh air’ or 'going to the mall'--when had she gotten this way? Embarrassment clawed at her chest and she folded her arms around herself as she looked around. Thankfully her phone had an excellent GPS app installed, but this was dangerous. How did she know it was truly working properly, after all? She could get lost or worse, seriously hurt.

But she had to try. No one else understood, and if they did it was only partly and their attempts to help had done little to soothe the anxiety roiling inside her heart. But if she could find a nymph, someone supposedly just like her, surely that would provide some insight? Perhaps she was just misunderstanding herself as well. However, the possibility of this turning out badly had also occurred to her. What if the nymph recoiled at the sight of her, or rejected her? What if all of her darkest suspicions and doubts were confirmed? What would she do then?

Her head spinning, Eden pushed herself back up to her meager usual height and pushed on through the trees. Even if this took a month, she would keep trying. It was all she could think of apart from retreating into a dark hole somewhere and never coming out--and hurting someone in order to Dave herself again was not an option. She needed to do something.

The Frei had been so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed the trees growing thinner until harsh winter light glared in her eyes. She winced against it and paused, pulling her thick sweatshirt closer around her. As she drifted out into the open Eden couldn't help feeling a flicker of hope. Then again, this had proven to be in vain in the past.

The clearing itself was admittedly small, and almost completely taken up by an extraordinarily large magnolia tree. Its gnarled and twisting branches covered the dewy grass like an umbrella, protecting it from the icy grip of frost that had enveloped the rest of the woods. Not only was the flowering tree completely out of place among the pines and oaks and maples she had hiked through, it was in full bloom--in the middle of January. Delicate mauve petals decorated the grass beneath it but the tree didn't appear to miss them. She couldn't have counted the number of full blossoms if she had tried all night and the next day. It was gorgeous on its own, but its additional meaning was what prickled at Eden's eyes as she settled beneath it.

She drew in a shaky breath and flattened her hand against the tree's trunk, then down to its roots where they broke through the grass. There had to be something here--there just had to be. Her throat was tight with the growing bundle of emotions in her chest, but Eden pushed past it. “Hello? If...if anyone's there, I--” she swallowed as her eyes burned harder. “I could really use some help.” Her words tapered off into a croak as her desperation overcame her and she had to take another steadying breath. Could they hear her? Would the woman appear? Was she even real? Surely she was, and surely was truly a nymph. This tree was too magnificent to be anything else.

“I… I dunno if you're even there, but I um,” she pushed her hair back from her face, “I've been looking for something--someone. You, I guess. I just…” Eden let her fingers trail through the grass beneath her. It was cold as it should be, but each blade was soft and lush and so impossibly green that it left her dumbstruck. “I just need someone to talk to.”

“My my, look at you.”

The voice was soft enough that she wasn't sure if she'd actually heard it at first. Eden looked up, eyes raking the trees for any sign of someone there. But before she could find anyone a gentle hand settled on her shoulder. The sensation it sparked was very similar to how feeding felt: warm and bright and like she was whole again. The Frei immediately burst into tears, relief and her sadness and all of her effort and hope bubbling up all at once.

“Oh, sweetheart... No no, come now. Please don't cry,” the voice cooed. The scent of the magnolias enveloped her and Eden could feel arms wrapped around her, warm skin against her cheek. Dark hair draped in front of her when she turned to wallow in the embrace, broken up by the soft glow of magnolia purple. “Shhh… It's alright.”

Eden's wail echoed beneath the tree and she let it come--all of it. All of her doubts about her very self and what she was made of, all of the guilt and heartbreak and self-hatred. All of her exhaustion and desperation and hope and all the times she had been disappointed. Every time she had swallowed down a critical comment, every little well-meaning piece of advice, every insensitive question or comparison or gawking stare; they all came pouring out and she held her face in her hands as the nymph gathered her up in her arms. She gently rocked her back and forth, delicate fingers brushing through her hair.

As her heavy sobs faded away to hiccups and wet sniffles, the nymph pulled back enough that she could gently pull Eden's hands away from her face. petal-soft fingers brushed over her cheeks and wiped away any lingering tears, then rounded her cheeks to hold her face up. Eden stared sadly back at vibrant green eyes mirroring her own and the nymph just smiled.

“My darling sister… Everything will be alright, I promise.”

User Image

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,246 words = 6 points
Art Points
Full shading = 6 points
Waist-up = 3 points
Bust = 2 points
Full background = 6 points

TOTAL: 25 Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Agathokakological
Greek, adj.
Composed of both good and evil.

Mid-January, 2019

User Image

The nymph smiled down at her when Eden could only blink back in silent awe and confusion. “There, see? Now I can see your precious face. I must admit, you look quite different from what I was expecting.” She smoothed Eden's hair back with her fingers and let the strands play between them.

“.. expecting?” Eden frowned slightly as the nymph smiled knowingly down at her.

“Of course, dear. As soon as you were close enough I could feel you calling out to me. But I wasn't exactly sure what you were--there are whispers of our similar energy in yours, but it is entirely unlike anything I have felt before.” She glanced down at the ribbon curling beneath the Frei's body. “Tell me, what else are you made of?”

Eden took a breath and looked down at her hands where she was worrying the hem of her sleeve. “A cherry blossom. An evil one,” she corrected with a frown. The nymph clicked her tongue and tilted her head to the side. “It drained energy from things around it to survive, and so do I.”

The nymph let out a soft hum as she thought and Eden watched her face apprehensively. “I am not sure a cherry blossom can be evil, can it? It is only following the cycle of life, albeit while slightly altering its own.” She giggled lightly and toyed with Eden's hair again. “Why do you feel you are evil, my love?” Her voice was gentle and soft, and the way she looked at her made Eden feel...seen. She seemed only open to explanation, genuinely curious--not condescending or apprehensive.

“How am I supposed to be a nymph, my soul, when I have to kill and cause so much harm? I… I can create, too, but if I don't drain things I'll die. Or hurt someone else…” Ian's frighteningly pale face flashed in her mind again and she blinked it away. “How can I call myself a nymph?”

“But you aren't a nymph, darling. You are your own entity, your own being. You are neither your soul, nor this cherry blossom you speak of.” The matter-of-fact way in which she said it left Eden speechless. “Surely there must be a name for what you are?” She gingerly touched one of the blossoms on Eden's ribbon. As if responding, like calling to like, the blossoms multiplied under her touch. A rush of warmth washed over her again and Eden sat up straighter.

“..A Raevan. I'm a Raevan.”

The nymph's lips pulled into a warm smile as he tilted her head again. “See? You did not say 'a nymph' or 'a cherry blossom.’ They may have helped to create you, but you are not them. You are a blend, a product of them and their energy.” She cradled Eden's cheek in her hand.

“I can see you are still not wholly convinced. How stubborn,” she chided--but her smile was lighthearted and mischievous. She turned her face upward to the tree, the soft magnolia blossoms casting shadows on her face. “Truthfully, 'nymph’ is not the most accurate name for myself, either. ‘Dryad’ would be more appropriate. Perhaps you merely fall beneath the umbrella term as well.”

A dryad… Eden looked up at the tree and its branches that created a shield against the stark winter sky. So this tree was truly this dryad, and she was tied to it. That would explain the lack of a meadow or other kinds of flowers as Ian had remembered. But she was right--a dryad was a type of nymph. Maybe she was simply a different type…

“Now now--don’t think too hard on that. I still do not believe that to be completely accurate.” She smiled and reached for Eden’s hands, holding them out to the side so she could get a better look at her. “Regardless of what you are, I do not believe you are evil. Your aura is warm and bright, even if it is a bit dimmed at the moment. You must truly be unwell,” she sighed sadly. The dryad rose to her feet in one fluid movement, pulling Eden up with her. “Look around you. My tree will always look like this, in perpetual spring. But the woods around us are in the heart of winter. Would you call winter itself ‘evil’?” Eden’s cheeks flushed and she floundered to find the words to deny it. The dryad merely gave her a knowing smile and squeezed her hands. “Everything in this world--in the entire universe--belongs to a cycle of life and death. Light and dark, summer and winter, hot and cold… Neither is inherently better or worse than the other, wouldn't you agree?”

Eden’s lip puckered as she looked down at their hands. “Yes…” Her brow creased and she sighed. The dryad had a point, and it was true. The cycle of the seasons was the perfect example. The warmth and life and summer waned in autumn, slept in the winter, and then spring would inevitably come again to revive it. It seemed like such an obvious fact; how had she not seen it before?

“My little sister, then are you not an entire cycle of life and death yourself?”

The question sounded simple enough, but it gave Eden pause. Her eyes blinked wide for a moment; she was right. Her soul--Antheia and what she had given her--were her spring and summer. Life, joy, light, creation, love. And her essence, the blossoms… At first glance they were more light and spring life, but they were much like autumn and winter at their core. She could create at the drop of a hat, but she would always need to rest and recuperate--summer would always be followed by autumn. Light and dark, existing at the same time and in harmony. If only she would let them, that is.

She barely noticed the dryad’s vibrant eyes watching her closely until she spoke again. “You say that a nymph and these cherry blossoms made you--I assume they had to ‘die’ in some fashion in order for this to occur?” The dryad let go of her hands to drift toward the darker trees. “But you have begun anew, a fresh life unlike any other. In order for a new life to begin, very often something else must die. And even if it does not, it will not be the same.” A shadow passed over her face and Eden floated toward her. She watched the dryad appear to wither slightly, her eyes suddenly sad and far away. “Come with me, my sister. I have something to show you.”

She turned to make her way into the thickest part of the trees surrounding her own and Eden followed without hesitation. Even if she was uncertain about where the dryad might lead her, the idea of her simply leaving was more frightening at the moment. She had just found her--she couldn’t bear to leave her just yet.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,168 words = 5 points

TOTAL: 7 Points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:09 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Dadirri
Australian Aboriginal, n.
The concept of inner deep listening and quiet still awareness;
a "tuning in" experience to deeply understand the beauty of nature.

Mid-January, 2019

User Image

Eden bobbed and weaved through the trees as she followed the dryad. Were all people with legs this agile? Then again, it seemed more like she was drifting along the ground than truly walking. The Frei worried the sleeves of her sweatshirt and chewed her lip as they moved in silence. The dryad had dropped that bomb of a revelation as if it should have been obvious, but it had never occurred to her. She supposed an extended lifetime would lend a lot of wisdom—her own measly three years were nothing in comparison. Judging from the size of that magnolia tree, the dryad had been around for a very, very long time. What was it like, being immortal? Invigorating? Comforting? Soul-crushing?

“So where are we going, um… I’m sorry, I didn’t ask what your name is. I’m Eden.”

The dryad glanced over her shoulder with a smirk and let her fingers trail along the trunk of a passing tree. “Thalia. It’s lovely to meet you, Eden.” She turned back around to continue their path and Eden took a deep breath. She didn’t miss the way Thalia’s shoulders slumped again once she wasn’t paying attention.

They walked for another long few minutes before the trees began to thin again and Thalia slowed. Eden floated to a stop beside her and stared, her mouth falling open. The clearing housed another great tree, but the towering willow was nearly the opposite of Thalia’s. Where her magnolias were full of life and beauty and vitality, this tree was startlingly dead. But it wasn’t the long drooping branches and ashen gray bark that took her breath away; it was the gigantic, violent slash through its trunk. The tree was nearly torn in two, its pale inner flesh ripped to shreds and the edges of the gash burnt black and raw. The grass beneath the tree was crisped and tar-black as well and it crumbled when a breeze blew through the clearing.

“What happened..?” The Frei drifted toward the tree and let her hand rest against its cold bark. Normally a plant as large as this tree would hum softly in her periphery—the trees around them still did. But this one was silent as a grave, cold and dark in a way that tightened her throat and made her pull her lip between her teeth.

Thalia took an audible breath and let it out in a heavy sigh. “Lightning,” she murmured. She moved silently until she stood beside Eden again and mirrored her, gingerly touching the tree. But Eden would've had to be blind to miss the wistfulness in her eyes, the sadness. It was different from her own—deeper. “Her name was Iva.”

Eden’s gaze snapped up to Thalia at the name. This was another dryad? Was? Obviously Thalia had known her—and quite well, if the look on her face was any indication. She had never seen someone look so sad, so utterly empty. “Her tree was the tallest in the area, and it was magnificent. If only you could have seen it in the heart of spring.” The smile that Thalia gave her pulled mercilessly at Eden’s chest and she just couldn’t manage to return it. “The storm came without warning on one of the hottest nights of the summer. After the lightning struck, the nymphs from a nearby river put out the fire as quickly as they could. But Iva was gone.” Thalia’s voice cracked at the end of her sentence and Eden felt her eyes prickle with tears.

She swallowed thickly and floated low to pick up a handful of fallen leaves. All she could manage was an “I’m sorry” croaked out as she rose back up to trace the edges of Iva’s wound. To have lost someone in an instant, before an attempt to save them could even be made… Fresh tears rolled down her cheeks before she realized she was crying.

“Oh, my child. I’m sorry, I did not mean to make you so upset.” Thalia came to her again and wrapped her in her arms. She thumbed away her tears and Eden sniffed as she clenched her fists. “I merely wanted you to see that death will inevitably come. Not to scare you, but… Nothing is immune. It is all a part of the cycle.” She smiled softly and brushed Eden’s hair back from her face. “But the sky, the lightning, is not evil. It knows nothing else. Do you see?”

Eden’s brows knitted tightly over her eyes, viciously green and bright again. “I do,” she mumbled. She looked down at her hands and was quiet for a long moment. Thalia was right. She was not evil, only doing what she had to in order to survive. It was all a cycle, as natural and automatic as breathing.

She was not a leech.

“Eden?” She barely heard Thalia call her name as she pulled free from her embrace. The Frei rushed to the tree and summoned all of her strength. She may have gained it from Ian, but it was hers now. Her palms erupted with vibrant pink light as she flattened them against Iva’s tree and closed her eyes. A heavy exhale pushed and reached for her essence buried deep and it crashed through her like lightning. She felt it warm her chilled arms, crackle in her ears, and swell in her chest. Her rune filled the clearing with glowing pink to join her palms and Eden gasped as she let the power wash over her. She had never before used it with this much purpose, this much intention. But she knew she could. She had to.

Behind her eyelids she could see the branching roots of the tree, the delicate pathways through its flesh and each cell. They filled up one by one, her warmth reaching to the farthest tendrils that snaked along the ground all around them. She could feel the wood crackling and the branches lifting again. When she opened her eyes to watch, the deep gash in the trunk was knitting itself together like two hands grasping tightly at each other. The tree groaned with the effort and Eden had to clench her jaw tightly as she pushed harder, further, more.

Thalia gasped and the power was gone, as if someone had switched a light off. Eden’s vision swam before her eyes as she bobbed back toward the ground, looking up at the willow. The gash was gone, not even a pale scar in its place. The long, graceful branches draped over them like the most comforting umbrella she had ever seen, but they still let the crisp winter light through in shining patches. The tree’s leaves had returned, green and tender and peppered with delicate white blossoms. Eden smiled, closing her eyes as she let out a heavy sigh.

She felt Thalia’s arms catch her before she could fall, the dryad’s voice breathless in her ear. “Eden! You… it’s incredible, you—” She gaped, and Eden couldn’t keep a smug smile off her face.

“I can’t bring her back, but… at least her memorial is worthy.” Even the effort of speaking was too much. She could practically hear her essence screaming in her head, clawing at her barricades. It needed to feed—no, she needed to feed. She’d done too much too quickly. But she couldn’t say she regretted it. “Get back, you’ll… I have to feed. Thalia—”

Just as the dryad was pulling away, her walls crumbled. Her essence rushed out and the glow she had seen in her bedroom returned. But it did not reach out toward Thalia or even the trees around them. Instead the cherry blossom swallowed her up and Eden cried out, reaching for Thalia with widened eyes. This was different, unlike anything she had felt in the past. It wasn’t hunger, and she didn't feel empty. She suddenly felt entirely too full. “Thalia?!"

The flowers dusted along her ribbon multiplied in an instant, engulfing her in a layer of cherry blossoms until she couldn’t see. “Eden?!” Thalia’s voice was muffled and her vision only grew darker as she struggled. But as the bindings grew tighter, the flowers covered in a thick tangle of vines and other blossoms, she stilled. Her eyes fell closed and a sense of calm washed over her as if someone had wrapped her in a thick blanket fresh from the dryer. She sighed soft and long as if all the air in her lungs were filtering out. Perhaps she would just…sleep for a while.

---

Thalia watched as Eden was swallowed up by the—for lack of a better word, the cocoon. The vines swarmed and wrapped and tangled until all sense of her shape was gone. “Eden!” She rushed forward to pull and tug at the mess, but to no avail. If anything, it seemed to knit tighter together around the poor girl in retaliation. “Eden, I—” Thalia looked around frantically as the cocoon stilled, apparently satisfied. She rested a hand against the vines and a cluster of magnolias bloomed around her fingers. Eden could still hear her at the very least. But it was of little comfort at the moment.

“It’s alright, Eden. I’m here. You’ll be alright.”

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,541 words = 7 points

TOTAL: 9 Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Iktsuarpok
Inuit, n.
The feeling of anticipation upon waiting for someone
that leads you to keep looking outside to see if they are coming.

Mid-January, 2019

User Image

Ian was officially worried. Eden had told him that morning that she was going out again, she wasn’t sure where—just out. She had been doing it frequently as of late despite the continued icy cold of winter. And though his gut instinct was to demand a destination, some sort of plan, he bit his tongue and let her do as she liked. She was not a child, and he would welcome any effort on her part to get out of the house for a bit. After the ordeal she had been through, she could use a little freedom. Constantly toeing that line was exhausting. Was he watching her too closely? Giving her too much slack? Was he an overbearing parent or a negligent one? How would he ever know?

He had to stop himself from texting Eden multiple times throughout the days when she ventured out on her own. He wanted her to feel more independent, like he trusted her. He wanted her to trust him. Constantly hounding her was the last thing he needed to do. She was smart, and resourceful, and (mostly) sure of herself. Not to mention she had her cell phone; if she needed him, she had access.

But as the day grew longer and the sun dipped lower in the sky, Ian’s worry only grew more firmly knotted in his stomach. She was never gone this long. He finally caved and sent her a text, second-guessing the message for a while before he was finally able to push ‘send.’

Hey, everything ok? It’s starting to get dark.

Despite his best efforts Ian found himself checking his phone frequently after that. The last customer lingered a while before eventually leaving with a small bouquet—an apology for his partner. Ian had only partly been paying attention. As he turned the sign on the shop to read ‘Closed’ and locked the door behind him, there was still no word from Eden. This wasn’t like her. He had never known the Frei to ignore her phone, not even for a moment. Every time she heard a chime it was out of her purse or plucked from the table beside her in an instant.

Closing up for the night. You on your way back?
Eden, are you getting my texts?
Please call me as soon as you see this.
Eden, I need you to call me right now.

When his texts and phone calls ultimately went unanswered as of late into the night, Ian’s panic swelled. Barely-concealed frantic texts were sent out to the friends he had access to. Lorenzo insisted she was not at their house, and Vesna hadn’t spoken to her lately (concerning on its own, but that was an issue for another day). Cesc hadn’t seen her since their meetup in December, and hadn’t spoken to her in a week or so. Multiple others had similar stories, and no one had any idea where she might be. Ian’s hand trembled as he searched through his phone for any other leads.

He had no other options. The idea of tracking Eden’s phone struck him as invasive and suspicious, but in this case… He had to. She could be lost, or hurt, or—worse. He quickly started up the app he had downloaded upon initially giving her a cell phone. He hadn’t used it since then, despite the overwhelming urge to when she had first gone somewhere on her own. He had trusted her up until now; he still did. But he had to find her.

After what felt like an absolute eternity the app found Eden’s phone with an annoyingly cheerful ping. Ian sprang up off the couch and grabbed the first coat he could reach, thankfully something relatively warm. He nearly dropped his keys on the first attempt, then grasped them tightly in his hand as he pounded down the staircase. He knew where her phone was—now he just had to hope it was with her.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
662 words = 3 points

TOTAL: 3 Points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Stjerneklart
Norwegian, adj.
A dark, quiet and clear sky in which the night
is filled and illuminated only by stars.

Mid-January, 2019

User Image

As he pulled rather roughly into a nearby parking lot, Ian checked his phone for what felt like the thousandth time. It seemed to be the right spot, or at least as close as he could get in a car. The sun had set on the way there, and now only the faintest of remnants of light remained. Soon enough it would be nearly pitch-black; he didn’t have much time. It was already bitterly cold out, and it would only get worse now that it was nighttime.

He managed to find a decent path into the woods, but it was still difficult. Eden didn’t have to worry about footfalls or gnarled roots or uneven terrain. Judging from the pace at which his little icon was moving on his phone, he would be walking for a while. Unfortunately, every attempt to pick up the pace was met with a stumble or a near-twisted ankle. That did little to help his growing anxiety. The woods here were thicker than when he’d started. Eden had to have gotten lost.

“Eden?!” He called out as he started to get closer to where her phone was. Surely she had to be here somewhere near it—Eden never went far from her phone. If she had, something bad had definitely happened. But he wouldn’t let himself think about that until it was necessary. Chances were still high that she was perfectly fine, if a little bit freaked out. Everything would be okay.

But as he searched and searched with no sign, Ian’s stomach began to twist more and more. “Eden, can you hear me?! Eden!” He managed to keep his voice from cracking, but his desperation was clear.

“Who are you?”

Ian nearly tripped over a root onto his face at the sound of the voice. He spun around and braced himself on a tree with a gasp. “Wh—“

“Who are you to Eden?” The woman repeated. Ian stared at her, taken aback more than anything. She wore only a soft linen dress and her hair spilled over her shoulders and down her back in a dark waterfall.

“I-I’m her dad,” he stammered. He stumbled closer to the woman with a desperate look. “Have you seen her? You know her?” He gestured frantically at his head and stomach. “U-um—pink hair, no stomach or legs?”

The woman looked him over dubiously, then turned away. “Come, I will take you to her.”

Ian followed along as best he could, but it was difficult. While this woman—no doubt a nymph, from her vibe and the way she seemed so at home in the wilderness—simply glided through the trees like a breath of wind, and she appeared to not even notice the roots underfoot. She did have legs, from the way her dress moved, but it was as if she could simply move through the obstacles in her way.

“Where is she? Is she okay?” They broke into a clearing and Ian gasped for air, but it wasn’t due to the effort of the trek. Immediately his eyes were drawn to the absolutely massive willow tree before them. It towered above them and he couldn’t help gaping up at it as the nymph parted its draping branches. Ian gasped again as they stepped into its umbrella.

There beneath the center of the tree, resting against the sturdy trunk, was something unlike anything he’d ever seen. It looked like a tangle of leaves and flowers, but distinctly oval-shaped. For lack of a better word, it was a cocoon. “Is that…”

“Yes. I am not.. quite sure how it happened. She was quite unwell,” the nymph sighed softly and went over toward it—her. Ian had to consciously close his mouth as he followed and dropped to his knees. “She healed this tree, and it took everything she had. And then it was as if… As if she consumed herself. The vines came from nowhere, and I could not stop them.” He just gaped up at her, brows knitting together. What the hell was going on? How had she gotten here? Who was this nymph? Eden had…healed the tree? Why? His mind reeled as he tried to process it and he had to close his eyes and take a deep breath. Ultimately, none of it mattered at the moment. All that mattered was making sure Eden was okay and getting her home.

Ian tugged at the cocoon, trying to pry it open. If anything, it seemed to tighten in response and he grunted with the effort. “Eden…” Icy panic was flooding his body and he sat there dumbly, running a hand through his hair. “I… I have to get her home. How can I..?” He shoved his arms under the cocoon and heaved, but she was incredibly heavy. The weight had to almost completely come from all of the flora surrounding her—he had lifted her in the past, and she weighed nothing close to this. How could he possibly get her back to the car? Or into the apartment?!

“I can help you. But I cannot leave the forest,” the nymph said. “She needs to go home. I do not understand what is happening, or even entirely what she is. But I do know that she needs her family.” Ian looked up at her sadly, swallowing thickly. He nodded, and watched as the nymph touched Eden’s cocoon. It lifted more easily now, and they were able to get her back to the edge of the forest. Ian had nearly twisted his ankle along the way, but she was that much closer to being home. They had found her phone in the grass nearby, and Ian had pocketed it—Eden would be furious with him if he had left it.

Surprisingly Ian was thankful for the darkness as they left the woods. He had to drag the cocoon along the ground to get it back to the car after saying goodbye to the nymph, which surely would have looked incredibly strange to any witnesses. But once he managed to get her into the car, there was no sign of the tangle being damaged in any way. He didn’t understand, but it didn’t matter—not right now. As he pulled out of the parking lot, Ian had to grip the steering wheel tightly to quell the trembling in his hands. He had to get her home. And he definitely needed to call Zeke.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
1,074 words = 5 points

TOTAL: 7 Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

All Wrapped Up
January 12th, 2019

Ian calls Zeke in a panic to have him come check on Eden.

User ImageUser Image

RP Points
200-word posts x8 = 8 points
5-post bonus = 1 point

TOTAL: 9 points

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

Cynnybun

Anxious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Acatalepsy
Ancient Greek, n.
The idea that it is impossibly to truly comprehend anything;
the doctrine held by the ancient Skeptic philosophers,
that human knowledge never amounts to certainty, only to probability.

Mid-February, 2019

User Image

Ian hesitated as he laid his hand on the doorknob to Eden’s room. What was on the other side of it? It had already been nearly a month since he’d brought Eden home in this cocoon. He took a deep breath and pushed the door open, closing his eyes in an effort to prepare himself. But lately, the hope that she might look different had started to fade. He still hoped, but it was not always desperately at the forefront of his mind. He no longer stared at her endlessly waiting for any sort of change or difference to appear. He still hoped, but he never expected it.

And sure enough, there she was. Still wrapped up, still unmoving and silent as she laid on the bed. Despite his efforts and diligent daily care, nothing had changed. The vines were still tightly wrapped and tangled around her, with little if any hint of her former shape. Any flowers that had dissolved to faded petals beside her on the bed were replaced in kind. Ian came in twice a day to mist the leaves and open or close the blinds, clean up around her and trim any wilted tendrils. It had become a routine, but he still did not completely understand it or what had happened.

He could only imagine that she had pushed herself to the very brink of her capabilities, even further than she had before, in order for this to happen. What had possessed her to do so? It was easy to assume she had never actually felt better after being restored by his energy. If anything, she had likely begun to feel even worse. How could she not? He had tried his best to assure her that it was not her fault, that he didn’t hold it against her or fear her, but words could only go so far.

Ian sighed and carefully gathered the fallen petals off of her pristine white bedspread. They were sweet peas this time, just like nearly every time. It had to be some strange joke. When she died, Antheia had left sweet peas in her wake. Eden couldn’t possibly know, but did her soul remember somewhere deep down? He refused to believe that this was its second farewell, or Eden’s. His throat tightened at the thought and he pushed himself up off the bed.

As he misted Eden’s vines and leaves, Ian found himself fighting a frown. He chewed on his lip and took a deep breath. “Eden, I… I still don’t know if you can hear me in there, but…”He swallowed thickly and worried the spray bottle in his hands. “I’m here, and I’m going to take care of you. I don’t really know how you were—or are—still feeling, but I can be here for you.” He rested a hand on the cocoon. “You’re going to be okay. I promise.”

User ImageUser Image

RP Points - Growth Quest
483 words = 2 points

TOTAL: 2 points

--[ Raevan Journals ]--

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items