Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply :[ The Fifth Age ]:
[PLOT - PRP] Everything's Fine (Vanya and Mojo)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:48 pm
User Image

The now-empty cup was set on the table with a soft wooden clunk, followed by a dissatisfied sigh. The Seer's expression reflected pensive thought with just a touch of disdain. Whether that was aimed at own person, sitting off by herself in the corner of the bar, or at the much more lively, noisy patrons that surrounded her, well...hard to say. It had been some time since the attack...it seemed at least some were getting back into good spirits. Or perhaps it was the good spirits that had gotten into them.

The pub seemed a bit busier than usual tonight, if not signified by the noise, then by the fact that the Seer hadn't had anyone hovering over her this evening. As it was, her cup had been empty longer than normal. Her expression remained blank, though her ears flicked forward and back in quick response to certain sounds among the general din. Sensing one of the bar's staff passing nearby, she pursed her lips for a quick, beckoning whistle that cut through the raised voices if just for a moment. Enough, it seemed.

"Milady?"

Vanya slid her empty cup across the table. "Another." After a moment, sensing some hesitation, her ears shifted back and she added quietly, "...please." There was a brief pause, then the cup was taken gently from her hand.

"Yes, ma'am."

As the server retreated, Vanya sank back into her seat with a sigh. She remembered when this began...a single drink had been enough to nearly send her toppling off a stool and into a state of blissful unconsciousness. She supposed that came with never drinking such things before. Of course, by now, she'd built up a tolerance and it took more than a simple cup of mulled wine to calm her anxieties. She was well aware of the attention she garnered, even after a few seasons of regular visits to the pub. At least now, she could sit tucked away in the corner and be left alone for the most part.

Antidia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm
User ImageThe brewmaster leaned against his bar in the pub, sipping on a warm ale steeped with a special herb he'd collected from overseas. It was nice and calming, yet kept him alert. Lately, as he watched the faun come and go, there was one faunness in particular that always caught his attention. He knew she had a sad story to tell.

When Vanya's server arrived to fill her drink order, Mojo pushed himself up from the bar and gently grabbed the cup from him. "I'll take this one." He gulped down the small amount of ale already in the cup (wasting good ale was a sin) and withdrew a clean one from the shelf behind the bar. He added something a little different in it, something similar to his own drink, but better. He also added a pinch of spice from a jar he kept far under the counter. Ancient faun secret.

He approached quietly, and set the cup on the table. "May I join yeh'?" Then pulled out a seat and sat down anyway. He pushed the cup towards the Seer, so it was within her grasp. She's gotten good at reaching for those cups without much effort, he mused. "It's a lil' somethin' I brewed up for occasions like this."

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 am
The one who returned with her drink was quiet enough to give her some trouble in detecting him at first...but she could tell it was not the one who had taken her order. No, this one was much more familiar. Vanya started to tense at the request to join her, but hesitated at hearing the cup being pushed towards her. When Mojo's following statement did not seem to imply a direction of conversation that she had feared, she warily put her reservations on hold.

The Brewmaster was far from a stranger or enemy, she reminded herself. In fact, perhaps if she'd been in possession of an older state of mind, she'd have easily called him a friend. He certainly did her enough favors these days, considering her frequent requests. She also knew how these frequent requests might appear...

She harbored no ill will towards the friendly Faun. She just...wasn't looking for company either. Nor was she interested in bending his ear with her woes, as she so often had observed others doing while partaking of his brews.

Siding with cautious, yet seemingly casual, the Seer shifted only slightly in her seat, turning towards her new 'companion' in response, as if focusing her attention in his direction. Her fingertips trailed lightly over the tabletop towards the source of the sound until they brushed against the curve of the mug. "I do believe this is your establishment, sir. I would assume you could do whatever you like?" she answered with a hint of a teasing air to show she meant no aggression behind the comment. No, keep the tone casual and calm; no need to stir up any alarm. Perhaps he just wanted to have a word with one of his regulars, then would be on his way.

She wrapped her hands around the cup, lifting it and inhaling the aroma that wafted from the drink within. Losing her sight had enhanced her other natural senses, especially hearing and smell. She could smell the alcohol...the spice beneath...the pleasant heady feeling just the scent provided...

"Not one I believe I'm familiar with," she admitted, holding the cup close, but not yet taking a drink. "May I ask just what sort of occasion it is exactly?"

Antidia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm
The Brewmaster merely chuckled before taking a sip of his warm ale. "Ancient Faun Secret." He teased. "It's from the far East. I don't have much of it left, but ye' looked like ya needed it. Tis for special occasions. Yer drinkin' the hunnerd-thousandth cup o' ale brought to you by the good folk at the Leaky Acorn."

His laugh was boisterous, usually contagious. But he knew Vanya was down and not herself lately. "We're seein' a lot of each other nowadays and don' want folks to get the wrong idea, ye know" he spoke in jest and lightly nudged her shoulder with his own. "That spry young man o' yers might get jealous."

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm
Vanya lifted an eyebrow, hovering over the cup to enjoy the heady, rising scent. "You don't say? What an auspicious occasion! And to have kept track for so long," she answered his teasing, managing a small smile into the cup as she took a slow sip. The spiced ale went down smoothly, warming her from the inside out.

She managed not to react very openly to the nudge. She'd had a while to practice and managed to control her responses and expressions now far better than she ever had before. Whatever she felt on the inside, she now showed either nothing...or this false face of collected calm. Sometimes she could even pretend to be conversational and appear something like she used to be. It was far more effective in deflecting others and their concerns than any avoidance or insistence that she was fine when she clearly was not.

No, pretending was much easier, especially when it worked so well to keep attention off of her.

Cup still held to her lips, she seemed to peer over the edge at Mojo, one eyebrow lifted. "And I don't suppose you've done much to encourage or discourage these rumors, have you, Mojo?"

Antidia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 pm
"O' course. I do it for all my frequent visitors," Mojo winked, out of habit when chatting with old friends. He knew the poor girl was down, but she was also closed off. He offered an ear every chance he got, knowing she'd open back up when she was ready. Best he could do is offer her friendship and zero drama.

"Darlin', you know me all too well. I would'na pass up the chance fer a pretty young lass on my arm." The fox-faun gave a hearty laugh and then took a big gulp of his ale. He pulled the mug away with a very audible sign of delight at the tasty beverage and wiped his face with his other hand. "I could go for another. How's yers lookin'? How's about a bite to eat, too. Yer lookin a bit peckish."

He watched her, like he always does, feeling a bit sad because she's had a long, tough road to follow, and the wear has been showing lately. He hoped there was something he could do to help her, but he knew the best he could do is offer her good spirits and conversation.

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 pm
Of course, Vanya was not so oblivious to have not heard the whispers. She was blind, not deaf. She heard what the patrons gossiped about. How often she came here, alone. How much she drank, choosing to socialize with no one. How she would slip away, still alone, at the end of the night and retreat to someplace no Faun knew where. How she was never seen returning to her private quarters shared with the Shaper.

She wasn't in the mood for lectures on her behavior. And when it seemed clear that the Brew Master wasn't keen on giving her one, Vanya relaxed considerably. Not that he ever seemed to meddle where he wasn't wanted, she noticed. He simply made himself an available ear; it was usually other Faun deciding to pour out their woes.

A trait she greatly appreciated at the moment.

She was just...overly defensive.

She sipped her drink slowly but continuously, savoring the warmth and the flavor as the comfort touched her from within, spreading throughout her body. "This is wonderful," she said quietly, nose still inhaling the vapors from the cup. "Just what I needed. Thank you." It was a genuine statement; though she seemed unwilling to offer any further information on herself for now, it was still something and she knew the attentive Mojo would pick up on that.

"I could go for another," she admitted when the cup was empty. "Oh, but we could go back to the usual. Save the good stuff for another special occasion," she smiled. Yes, it was a bit of a sad smile, but it was still more effort than she paid most of the day. This was the highlight of socialization for her now, it seemed. She was about to pass on his other offer, but a sudden twinge of hunger made her reconsider. She would need the energy...

"Perhaps something solid as well," she conceded. "Whatever you have that's ready is fine. Don't go to too much trouble."

Antidia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:49 pm
Mojo smiled and put a hand on the back of her chair as he stood up. "It'll just be a sec, darlin'. I know exactly what'll hit the spot." After excusing himself he mosied to the bar, answering a few questions from other patrons in his path. He wasn't neglecting Vanya, just giving her a little time before he returned.

Balancing a tray with treats and mugs, he made his way back to the corner booth. He inhaled a little deeper before arriving, feeling a little sad that she was so sad. "Okay mi'lady, I have brought to you the very last mug o' Summer Ale. And don't fret, darlin' I got the second to last one. I usually save this fer maself. You know, a lil secret treat for a Summer well done. But there's enough left fer two, so ... like it or not, you get one." He set the mugs on the table, as he had before.

"And as a special treat, I have a tray full of cookies. It's a mystery what they are though. They're from the holiday cookie lessons in the kitchen. I like the ugly ones. They taste better. And I figure of any of us, you'd be less finicky about the ones that didn't quite look like reindeer or bells." He chuckled and set a plate on the table.

As he sat, he pulled the seat in underneath and reached for one of the cookies. "oh lucky! I think this one could be a cloud. Maybe even gingerbread flavor. Or chocolate. Hard to tell." after a couple sniffs, he determined gingerbread.

"I brought a bowl of nuts and berries too, but eat the cookies, ok? This is no time fer dietin' "

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:46 am
After giving her host a gracious nod, Vanya took the time alone to focus on maintaining composure. Nothing wrong here. No threats. No harassment. Just some companionship while sharing drinks. A bit of food. She still had to eat after all, and even if it also made her uncomfortable, there was something reassuring in seeing someone care enough to be concerned about her.

She heard the careful breath behind her before Mojo spoke, but showed no sign of acknowledgement. Some part of her felt badly that he seemed so concerned...yet, she was also reluctant to offer a hopeless argument that there was no reason to worry about her. She felt he'd see through the lie.

"We're not clearing out your stores this evening, are we?" she offered in a teasing tone instead with a quirk of one eyebrow. The wooden clunk of the mugs on the table helped guide her hand to one of them. The plate soon followed, then apparently the bowl he'd mentioned as well. She'd not been picky when she'd accepted his offer for food. For a long time, she'd only eaten to keep her energy up. She'd nearly forgotten the pure enjoyment one could get from eating and savoring the different flavors. It was something she had noticed long ago...it was hard to change the mindset, but she was trying to change her actions, hoping the former would follow.

"You're right." She picked up one of the cookies between two fingers and held it up. "This could look like a dancing boar for all I care, but if it tastes good..." She held the cookie under her nose for a second...cocoa? Yes, cocoa. Biting into the cookie confirmed her guess and she chuckled. "Well, just send me all the rejects in that case."

She certainly had no thoughts of dieting, as Mojo put it, but between cookies, she reached into the bowl for a piece of fruit or a couple of nuts. Back to that whole 'learning to enjoy food again', it helped to separate the taste of each different cookie type.

Vanya would have been happy to have no conversation at all, but felt that would only make this more awkward. Yet, neither did she feel like talking about herself at the moment. She needed to divert worry away from her, and so selected a neutral topic instead. "So...business is doing well, I hope?"

Antidia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 pm
"The young'ins are preppin' fer winter feast. They're baking up a storm ta' get it right. This time of year is best for cookies. Demolished gingerbread walls are due any day now. Folks like the sweets. They go well with the seasonal nuts n' berries. I ken bag some up fer ya when ya head out."

Mojo pulled what tasted like a lemon drop, but without the lemon dollop on top. He sat for a moment just thinking and watching the Seer. Giving ample time for her to talk if she wanted.

Then she asked about him. He saw it coming.

"Business is booming. More n' more new kiddies runnin' around and all those new faun from across th' pond have increased our numbers nearly three fold. Lot'sa stuff always going on. I have the fortune of being a nice little rest stop in the middle o' it.""

He motioned for a waitress to come by and fill up the mugs. "Thanks Darlin.'"

"I hear the wee ones will be carol'un for the first time. Should be fun. A couple a' ladies volunteered to teach 'em some old hymns that Earthm- ... " He stopped himself, not wanting to bring her up yet to avoid any tension or anxiety. "So yeah, will be a good time hearing the sweet, sweet voices of our youth singin' in the halls."

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:50 pm
Hearing of the kitchen antics of the youngsters should have been enough to boost anyone's spirits. Vanya broke what turned out to be a shortbread cookie this time in half, nibbling on the one in her right hand. "I would appreciate that, Mojo," she said kindly, referring to his offer of snacks to go. "I've never been one for much baking or cooking. Though, I can make a heck of a potion to help with the stomachaches afterwards," she tried to joke. It came across a bit flat, despite her wane smile.

She was trying.

When Mojo moved on to talk of caroling though, her mask slipped if only for a moment. No one was perfect; even she could still be taken off-guard. At the near mention of Earthmother, her right ear twitched back and downwards, her expression flickering for a split second. Then, she resumed quietly fiddling with the cookie half in her hands. The elder faunness had been missing for some time; ever since the time of the explosion as far as Vanya could tell. She'd already started to withdraw by then, but she was fairly certain the time frame was correct. As terrible as it had been, she'd entertained the thought that something may have happened that day, but as the clean-up crews progressed, there had been no sign of a body.

And no further news of the missing faunness since either.

Vanya took a long, slow draught from the refilled mug. When she lowered it, she relished the growing feeling of haziness and warmth that the miracle brew delivered. Finally. It was harder to force a smile this time, so she remained hiding behind her mug. "I've never been much for singing either, for that matter, so I'll leave that to the young ones as well." As if she were one of the 'old ones'.

Felt like it sometimes.

Antidia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:07 pm
The Brewmaster watched the Seer drown her sorrows in potent potables, numbing her senses. He knew the face she put on. He knew her well enough to know she's suffering. Vanya was on a dangerous path to addiction. She may think she's hiding it well, but the more she does the more obvious it becomes to others around her. Which brought up another concern that Mojo had: what was her intended doing to help?

"Darlin, can I put in 'a order for a case o' that potion? Could make a killin' in this hole in th' wall. While yer at it, I could use some o' that herb I see ya smugglin in'." He gave a wink, even though he knew she wouldn't see it. Perhaps she could at least know his expression from the tone and manner which he spoke.

Mojo moved the empty mugs to the far side of the table as the attending server brought fresh mugs for the pair. The mug for Vanya was filled with water with a twist of lemon. Ah how nice it's been to have lemons ever since those faunies adjusted to their new lives on Telrunya. "Thanks, hun."

"Vanya, I had 'er bring ya a big cup o' water fer when ya finish that drink. I know the ale is delicious and it's quite the compliment that ye enjoy it so much as I brewed it meself, but we don't want ya dehydratin' on us. Be a shame to not get those potions 'n herbs."

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 pm
Grateful for the shift in subject away from more personal matters, Vanya managed to look, dare she say it, coy in response to the brewmaster's suggestion. Potions and healing draughts had become her specialty as part of her position, and with it knowledge of many local herbs and plants. Neither confirming nor denying any implications, she merely smiled into her mug and shot back, "I am sure we can come to some arrangement, my friend."

And that's exactly what he was; a friend. One that she had needed far more than she had realized right now. She had no doubts or misconceptions about her current state; she knew she was in a bad way and needed help. But it didn't seem to be the type of help that was readily available. It had taken while a while for her to realize just how bad off she was...and that if she didn't take measures to save herself, no one else would. Much longer, and perhaps it would have been too late. It had been a harsh realization...but it had stirred something within her; a stubbornness and independence she hadn't felt in a long time.

Even if the hard work were up to her alone...she had forgotten that perhaps she didn't need to face this thing down completely on her own without support. Even just simple conversation and companionship went a long way. She'd prepared to spend the evening alone, working up the courage, liquid or otherwise, to do what needed to be done. Instead, she'd been able to comfortably share some drinks with another for the first time in...longer than she could remember.

And then, there it was.

She stifled the immediate twitch of irritation, like an itch under her fur. And here she begun to think she would avoid any disapproving stances or condescending lectures tonight. Ha. She shouldn't have been so foolish; she should have known better.

He's only concerned. The old you would never have acted like this. He doesn't know; he's just worried about your health and well-being.

Subconsciously keeping herself in check, she tried to smooth over the sudden irate flare with logic...but it was a struggle. Part of that may have been all the alcohol in her blood. She was still in control enough not to lash out...though she may have let some of the irritation flicker across her face before reigning that in.

Calm, Vanya. I think it's time to go.

With a sigh, the Seer reached for the water cup. She took a sip to further cool her flaring grumpiness before speaking. "Yes, I suppose that would be a shame, wouldn't it? Perhaps I should call it a night then." If she were being cut off, might as well. And if she could use some of this irritation as fuel, she might be able to get to what needed to be done before she lost her nerve. The drink really was quite refreshing and she did enjoy the crisp flavor that the squeeze of lemon added to the water. Turning as if glancing towards the entrance of the bar, she added in a quiet voice, "I appreciate the concern. Could I at least have something for the road, so to speak? A night cap, for later."

Antidia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 pm
Mojo frowned. He'd been walking a fine line with her, trying to not upset her because she's had enough upset lately. But managed to fall to the side and hit a button. He was just looking out for her and being a little too prideful sharing those lemons too soon. Hangovers suck, so the water could have helped.

"Certainly, sweetheart. I'll give ya lemons too. They go with evr'thin. That little lass down in the orchard has so many she don't know what to do with 'em all." Mojo saw the irritation on her face. Some expressions were just too hard to hide. He sighed and motioned for a server. "I need a bottle of the Winter Special - corked."

"Okay mah'dear, she's gone ta fetch somethin' for ya. Hun, I hadn't meant to imply ya have ta go. I enjoy yer company. I suppose I got a lil' too eager with the lemon water." At least he was successful in getting food in to her tummy to help with the after effects of those libations she's been chugging. "Got some honey tea brewin' if you'd like some o' that instead. Warm ya insides."

Teigra

Antidia
Vice Captain

Sparkling Fairy

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:47 pm
Dammit, Vanya.

She wasn't trying to intrude. In a public place like this, she tried to keep to herself as much as possible, which meant consciously dampening her Sight. She didn't want to inadvertently go poking around in others auras; no telling what she'd find, especially with so many in one place. She'd rather be blind; she didn't feel like dealing with that.

She was realizing she'd had more to drink already than she'd thought. Her control was slipping, over her emotions as well as over her Sight. She felt the shift in her companion's mood, though she wasn't trying to pry. Dammit. Her own irritation shifted in response to regret. She'd gotten sloppy; too comfortable in this rare socialization opportunity.

Mojo had done nothing to deserve her snippy behavior. He was only worrying about her. He had no idea what was wrong with her...no one here could understand...but he knew something was obviously wrong and was trying to do what he could to help. In this moment of sudden clarity, Vanya took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

The small table they shared was removed from the rest of the energy of the bar, but Vanya lowered her voice further as she turned back towards the brewmaster. Something had changed in her tone when she spoke again; rather than sounding more guarded though, it seemed she'd dropped some layer of protection instead. "Mojo, I....I'm sorry. No, it's not the lemon water," she objected lightly with a raised hand and a flicker of amusement, then it was gone again. "The lemons would be lovely. Just...forgive me. Perhaps your brews are just too potent. Between that and the companionship, I seem to have tarried longer than I meant this evening."

And let herself slip, apparently.

After a moment, she reached out and laid a hand over one of Mojo's, hiding the effort it took to make the gesture so casual. "I would love to stay and enjoy some tea with you. But...perhaps another time. I have...something I need to do this evening. I've already tarried too long in putting it off. If I wait much longer, I may never go."

With a slight, self depreciating smile, she added, "Don't worry, I learned my lesson long ago. Plenty of water before the night is through. I just...needed the 'encouragement' to get something done first." It was as close as she'd openly admitted to having a problem and knowing it. Yes, she was on a bad path...but with luck, she would be finding her way back to the light soon.

She gave Mojo's hand a light squeeze. "Forgive me, my friend. I know...you're only worried. I appreciate it; I really do. So few have the time to--" She hesitated, then shook her head. "Forgive my rudeness. If possible, could I...take a raincheck on that tea for another time?"

Antidia

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff