[CLASS QUEST] Karothdra

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suhuba
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:05 am
This Quest is for Karothdra who is striving to become a Guard.

User ImageOOC
||. The quest prompt must be answered with a 2000 word reply (can be more).
||. Respond to the prompt given with an adventure of your own creation as long as it meets the requirements of the specific tasks.
||. NPCs may be used as long as they advance the quest in an interesting manner.
||. You cannot include any playable characters other than the quest taker.
||. Your responses will be graded with a Pass or Fail. Those who fail will have to continue with assistance from the staff.
||. Questions about quests can be asked here.

IC

It wasn't long after their last private conversation that the Queen Mother summoned Karothdra to her chambers. What she could have wanted was hard to say and hard to predict, but when Karothdra entered the chambers she would be met with a pleasant surprise. The Queen Mother had pulled some favors and gave the orders to have Karothdra tested as a Guard.

It would be a fighting match, something to prove her skill against a low ranking Guard of the Oban court and it was scheduled to begin the very next afternoon if Karothdra was up for the challenge. It wasn't until the end of their conversation that the Queen Mother let slip that she herself would be attending and was eager to watch the match.

Quest Tasks
||. The quest should begin with Karothdra's summons to the Queen Mothers chambers.
||. Karothdra will be offered the opportunity to test herself and become a guard.
||. Karothdra will end up winning the fight, but she will take it too far and heavily injure her opponent.
||. The Queen Mother will be displeased with her blood thirst and Karothdra will have to decide whether to try to make it up to the court or not.
||. If she can make it up to the Queen Mother by showing compassion for her opponent, then she will remain in favor with her. If she does not, then she will lose her position as lady in waiting. (The quest grading will not be effected by her choice).

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:45 am
P A R T X O N E
The Challenge

It had been a few days since her private conversation with the Queen Mother regarding Karothdra's desire to join the Oban army and become a guard. She had had no news since and no indication of whether or not the Queen Mother would help her with her goals. Karo had neither brought up the subject or questioned anyone for answers. She thought that perhaps she had been out of place telling the Queen Mother what her goals were and that she should simply have no said a thing that day. And still, Karothdra nurtured a small ember of hope within her that perhaps she was wrong and she simply needed to give the Queen Mother some time to make arrangements.

Then a lady in waiting had been assaulted as she had in the market place and all thoughts of becoming a guard eclipsed form her mind as the ladies in waiting were told to be more careful alone in the streets. Karothdra had decided to voice her concerns and recount her own tale of assault. The Queen Mother had summoned her after that and Karo wondered why. Maybe she wanted her to teach a few of the other girls how to defend themselves if anything happened to them. Maybe she wanted the words right from Karo's mouth. Whatever it was she was being summoned for, the Oban hurried through the halls towards the Queen Mothers chambers.

Karothdra knocked once, opening the door slightly to announce herself before walking in.

“Ah just the person I was looking for. Please, come in and sit by me. Jalin just brought a bit of food.”

“Of course.” Karo made her way towards the queens study and took a seat across from the Queen Mother.

“I heard you were assaulted in the marketplace?”

“That is correct, though no fault of my own. I believe there was a scuffle and I was unjustly added to the brawl.”

“Well I am glad to see you are okay. I have news for you,” Here the Queen mother smiled at her. “I told you I would see about making you guard. It is never an easy task, the others have been working hard towards becoming guards for a much longer time. However, it is hard to refuse the Queen Mother when she asks for a favor. There have been arrangements made for you to be tested as a guard.”

Even as the Queen Mother paused to let Karothdra soak in the information. She herself could not believe what she was hearing. The Queen Mother had actually pulled favors for her, for saving her life. Now the only thing standing in her way was a test, a simple test that Karothdra knew she could pass with ease. There was also her family, what would her father and mother say? Her brother would certainly be furious that he now had a real contender to play with. Though Karothdra knew that perhaps the greatest challenge would be trying to appease her mother after she had received the news that Karothdra would become a guard. That was the real challenge.

“Now, your father was out voted by the other generals to test you or not. Though from what I have heard he was taken the news quite well. I do believe your problems will lie with your mother if you pass the test, but Karothdra I must warn you. If you pass this test you may not go back to being a simple girl following her mothers whims. Your training will be hard and I do believe I would still like to keep you as a lady in waiting. If you pass this test, your life will become much more complicated and you must be ready for this. Do you think you will be unbreakable in the trials ahead?”

“I was born for this.” There was no hesitation in her voice, how could there be? Karothdra had worked hard for this achievement.

“Good, get some rest. Your trial is tomorrow.”

Word Count :: 674  

Tasinei
Crew

Sparkling Fatcat

10,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Tasinei
Crew

Sparkling Fatcat

10,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:25 pm
P A R T X T W O
FIGHT!

Tolui had softened the blow to his wife after Karothdra had left to spar the girl her mothers rage. And boy did she throw a fit. The servants were now cleaning up what had been either broken or over turned as his wife had moved from room to room demanding he do something about this. He couldn't, not that he wanted to of course. Once he'd had wind of the Queen Mother asking for favors to get his daughter to pass the test, he himself had gone around asking others to vote against him. It was an odd thing to ask of them, but they understood none the less and happily complied. He'd feigned angry at his wife in the beginning but now he was simply tired and he wanted her calmed down before Karothdra arrived back home for dinner with the rest of the family.

Dinner was going to be tense, Tolui had been able to clam his wife down enough to let her take care of it. So when the family gathered and sat around the table talking about what they'd done for the day, Tolui took charge.

“So Karothdra, how did you meeting with the Queen Mother go this morning?”

Slowly Karo lifted her eyes up to meet her fathers, she glanced to her mother who was glaring holes into her and then to the rest of the family who were patiently awaiting to hear the news. This was it, she was going to announce that she was taking the test. Karothdra put down her fork, straightened herself out and spoke.

“Quite well father, so well in fact that I will be passing an examination tomorrow to become a guard.”

There were only two angry people at the table, her mother and her brother who was also going to be a guard.

“You are a worthless daughter. I cannot believe you got involved in this. You will not be attending or so help me gods --”

“Calm down Sorgtani. The Queen Mother has pulled favors for Karothdra to part take in this trial. If she does not attend she will be ridiculing not only our family name but also the Queen Mother and I do believe the Queen Mother's wrath is far greater than yours.”

“But father, surely she cannot. She is a lady in waiting, she needs to be... Waiting for a husband.”

“As I have said, the Queen Mother has gotten involved. There is simply nothing I can do since I was out voted on this matter. I do not wish to hear anything of it anymore until we hear of the results tomorrow.”

And just like that, her father winked at her and returned to his soup with both her mother and half brother sulked in their seats. Karothdra finished her food and went to train for the rest of the evening. She needed to be in top shape if she wanted to pass her test tomorrow.

-------------------

Early to bed, early to rise. Karothdra showered and prepared herself for the trail. All her siblings and father would be attending but her mother had flat out refused to attend. She knew that Karo would be more than up for this challenge and would do everything in her power to win this. She knew that after today, Karothdra would be named a guard and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Sorgtani still held hope for her daughter, but she would not show her support for this choice. Now, it meant that she would have to work twice as hard to find a suitable match.

As Karothdra made her way into the training ring which would host this trial, she noticed all of the generals were present, certainly to see what all the fuss had been about and who it was the Queen Mother was vouching for. There were others as well, guards who had come to watch and a few others she did not recognize. Karo stepped onto the ring with a calm settling over herself as her opponent also stepped in. A girl her age, a hybrid of Oban and Matori blood who smirked back at her as she cracked her knuckles. Did this girl really believe she had a chance against her?

The referee for this trial stepped up, talking away at the crowd but Karothdra heard nothing. She was focused completely on the girl advancing on her to meet in the center of the ring. This was the only barrier between her and becoming a guard. Mercy would not be a choice today, she was going to destroy this girl and show them her power and how worthy she was of this title. Karo shook the girls hand, squeezing hard before releasing and stepping back. The referee lifted his arm straight up in the air and then dropped it down to begin the trial.

The Hybrid was fast, but Karo had years on her. She rushed the Oban straight on, shifting her weight at the last second and feigning a left hook when she hit with her right. This girl knew of her old bruise and was utilizing this to break Karothdra apart, but she wasn't going to let that happen. Karo took the punch to the face stumbling back before returning the punch with a kick to the girls middle and watching her stumble. Seeing the opening, she continued with another punch but was countered and moved back when the girl tried to kick her. Cheers were going up in the crowd but Karo ignored them.

The girl rushed her again and they began the dance once more. This time was different, Karo aimed her kicks high to get the girls head and was entirely focused on making sure the girl would go down and would not rise again for a very long time. Even when the punches began to hit one after the the other Karothdra did not stop. Her assault continued until she sent the Hybrid girl to her hands and knees, but there was no mercy. This girl was standing in her way of her goals and she would destroy her. Karo took aim and kicked the girl in the head, toppling her over with ease.

She should have stopped here, but she didn't so determined as she was. When the Hybrid tried to get up once more trying to put her hand up to say enough, even then Karothdra took aim. Then something caught her eye and she paused to look. The Queen Mother Had arrived a little after the fight had started, but now she was getting up, a furious expression on her features as she headed out the door and was gone. The referee grabbed onto Karothdras arm and lifted it up high, she had passed her trial. She was now a guard.

Many cheered and her father welcomed her with a smile. The man in charge of the other guards stepped up and clapped her on the back.

“Congratulations Karothdra, I do believe we have enough room for another guard.”

“Thank you sir, it is an honor.”

“Now why don't you get cleaned up and come celebrate with the rest of the guards.”

He clapped her once more on the shoulder and Karo smiled. She'd made it. She had finally stepped into her rightful path.

Word Count :: 1, 233  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:56 am
P A R T X T H R E E
Banished

The following two days after her win over the Hybrid girl, Karothdra had not given a single thought to her opponent or the Queen Mother. She was busy getting celebrating and then getting to know her new compatriots in arms. She had not wanted to make a full move into the barracks, not yet anyways so home she returned to for now. Her mother was highly displeased as was her brother while her father was neither angry nor happy for her. Karothdra highly suspected that he did not want to anger his wife any more than she already was. Though it was on the third day that he did call her attention and asked her to visit the Queen Mother to thank her.

Karothdra agreed and dressed quickly in her bets dress and made her way to the Queen Mothers wing. As she made her way to the door of the Queen Mother’s chambers, the guards on either side stopped her and barred her way.

“Let me pass.”

“Only the Queen Mother and her ladies in waiting may enter the Queen Mothers chamber.”

“But I am one of her ladies in waiting, you know me… “

“You are no longer a lady in waiting.” Came a voice from behind her and Karo turned to face another of the ladies in waiting.

“Jalin what are you talking about?”

“The Queen Mother is angry with you. She does not want to see you and has removed you from your duties as a lady in waiting. You should be Happy Karothdra, we finally got to see your true colors and the Queen Mother has finally cast you from her side. Leaves room for actual ladies in waiting.” Jalin brushed past Karothdra, shouldering her out of her way and entered the chambers. Karo caught sight of the Queen Mother.

“Queen Mother may I have a word?” But as she advanced the guards pushed her back and all she saw as the doors closed was the glare from the Queen Mother. This was not how she had planned things on happening, she was supposed to stay a lady in waiting and still be able to fight. That’s how she wanted power within the court to be able to dismantle her father’s hold. What was she supposed to do now? She needed to gain favor with the queen once more. She knew the Queen’s schedule like the back of her hand, she would figure something out.

Karothdra left the Queen Mother’s door and went back to the other guards and put on her new workout attire. The Queen Mother would want to do her usual walk about and that’s when Karothdra would speak with her and find out what was happening. Hadn’t she wanted her to win this trial? That’s what she’d done and now the Queen Mother was snubbing her? It would do no good; she needed the favor and could not go without. First though, she was going to work out a bit of her frustration on some dummies.

As predicted, Karothdra spotted the Queen Mother turning the corner of the gardens with the other ladies in waiting in tow. The Oban waiting for them to get as close as possible so the guards wouldn’t stop her and then she sprang placing herself right in front of their path. The guards moved on her but the Queen Mother stopped them with a motion of her hand, some of the ladies in waiting yelped in surprise.

“Queen Mother.” Karothdra bowed low.

“Karothdra.”

“Sorry for my intrusion, may I have a word?”

“You may not; I do not have time to speak with you.”

“I do believe you will want to hear what I have to say Queen Mother. It is important.” Karothdra stared her down, from this point on it was either going to be a hit or miss. Giving an annoyed sigh, the Queen mother waved her hand and dismissed everyone leaving them alone.

“What is it you want?”

“I want to know why you are angry with me. How I have offended you to the point you would remove me as one of your ladies in waiting.”

“You have a blood thirst like no other Karothdra. Have you visited your opponent in the hospital lately? She was down on the ground clearly about to give up and you had to make sure she never got up again. I do not want that kind of attitude around me and I regret ever presenting this trial to you.”

Karothdra was stunned; the Queen Mother walked past her and disappeared behind some bushes. She had not thought of her opponent and why should she? The Hybrid girl had clearly lost; she had no place in the Oban army. And still, the Queen saw something she did not. Her father had warned her about bloodlust and her competitive side. How she should use more restraint.

A trip to the infirmary was in order.

Word Count :: 825  

Tasinei
Crew

Sparkling Fatcat

10,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Tasinei
Crew

Sparkling Fatcat

10,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:51 am
P A R T X F O U R
Debt Owed

Karothdra didn’t feel guilt. She felt like she’d won that trial fair and square. If she hadn’t won she would have had to give up on becoming a guard and she simply could not afford that. What else could she have done if she hadn’t passed? Marry some wannabe general in the hopes that he will allow her to make decisions? No. That was not a viable solution and nether was losing for Karothdra. Why couldn’t the Queen Mother see that? She too had suffered from the match; her own bruising was slowly healing. Why did it matter so much that her competitor was healing slower?

Of course, Karo had no clue how bad it was for the other girl. Not until she was led to the girls bed side and saw the dark marks on her features. Marks that she had caused in her so called bloodlust. Remorse clawed at her and Karothdra could not stay in the room, she left without another word. The Queen Mother had not lied; the girl had yet to awaken from their trial match. She had been brutal with the girl when a simple defeat hadn’t been enough or her. It was too late now to go back, to not give that final blow.

Becoming accustomed to the knowledge that the Queen Mother would not take her back, Karo decided she ought to check on her opponent. Out of guilt at first certainly, the Oban couldn’t believe what she’d done. She made a silent promise to herself that she would have more mercy, be calmer when fighting and certainly keep her bloodlust in check from now on so that something like this did not repeat itself. Her father noticed the change one day while she was training; he made a passing comment on the precision of her hits. She was not clouded by anger and the calm helped her be better.

After a few visits however, Karothdra simply became attached to her opponent. The girl didn’t not speak or move but Karothdra felt a sense of need to watch over the girl and pray that she did wake up. She never missed a single visit and brought new flowers every day to change the old ones. She was a regular face amongst the healers now; they let her sit by the girl’s bedside and read or study. It was a routine Karothdra was extremely fond of and one she had no desire to change. But the girl had to awaken at some point.

One after noon, a few weeks after the incident, Karothdra was returning to the Hybrids side for her usual visit after her training when she had free time. She found an empty bed and her heart stopped beating for a brief instant before the fear and then shock took her. Had she died? Quickly, Karo caught a healer.

“Where is she?”

“Who?”

“The Hybrid girl.”

“She’s awakened so we moved her so she was more comfortable.” Karo didn’t have time to register the rest of what he had said before she’d gone off to the other section of the ward. She pushed the doors open, watched as the injured and others turned to see why the doors had banged open and Karo found the Hybrid girl staring at her in a far off corner. Slowly, she moved towards her and stopped in front of her bed.

“It’s you.”

“It’s me. How are you feeling?”

“Well,” the girl said reluctantly. “They say I won’t be able to fight anymore thanks to you. So that’s that.”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t… I wasn’t thinking. I want to say that I am sorry.” The girl sighed.

“They say you’ve been watching over me, is that true?”

“Yes, I wanted to see how you were doing so I came by once in a while.”

“They said you were here every day. Asked me if I knew you.”

“The Queen Mother didn’t want me as her lady in waiting anymore so I have had a lot of extra free time.”

“I see,” the Hybrid looked around. “Mind getting me some water?”

“No of course not!” Karothdra went to get a cup and returned with some water quickly. “Here you go.”

“Thanks,” The girl drank and then put the cup to the side. “I’m Cascata by the way.”

“Karothdra.”

“Want to sit?” The girl pointed to the end of her bed.

“Sure.” Karothdra settled herself at the end of the bed. She felt awkward at first, speaking to the girl who had been silent all those weeks before. The girl seeemd to think that her punishment had been good and well and did not hold grudges. Though as they spoke Karothdra began to stop stressing and relaxed more and began laughing with the other girl.

“Karothdra?” Turning, Karo spotted the Queen Mother and stood up quickly.

“Queen Mother!” She was dismissed quickly and the Queen Mother turned to the Hybrid girl.

“How are you feeling?”

“Quite well thank you. Karothdra has been keeping me company; they said she has visited me almost every day.”

“Is that so?”

“Queen Mother, listen please. Cascata can no longer fight and I know you are still one lady in waiting short. Please take her as your lady in waiting to replace me. I do believe you will find that she is quite capable of filling this role.”

“That’s awfully kind of you Karothdra,” The Queen Mother seemed to be pensive for a few moments. “Jalin is getting married and I am going to be two ladies in waiting short. Cascata will need someone to help her and show her around. I expect to see both of you in two days time in my chambers. Do I make myself clear?” It was clear here that as the Queen Mother spoke, Karothdra knew that she would have to look out and teach Cascata how to be a proper lady in waiting and that she would forever be in her debt.

“Of course Queen mother. We won’t be late.” Karothdra bowed and watched the Queen Mother walk away. She didn’t know if she was completely back in her good graces but it was certainly a start. Now all she had to do was make sure Cascata was a good lady in waiting and watch over her. She’d caused this after all, and she was going to own up to her actions.

Word Count :: 1, 068  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:54 am
Suhuba
Completed!
Final Word Count: 3,800

Tasinei
Crew

Sparkling Fatcat

10,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Suhuba
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:44 am
Class Quest Result

Pass!

Karothdra has passed and received a rank of Guard!

User Image

Congratulations Karothdra!

Tasinei

◈ Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas