[WP08] (Roses in Bloom, Half Truth) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.The yowling was distracting.

Annoying, disturbing, obtrusive- but mostly distracting. Half Truth was doing her very best to catch her dinner, but the cry of a nearby owlcat was making it impossible to focus for more than a moment before the caterwauling started up again. Grumbling, the doe reluctantly abandoned her task and loped off in the direction of the noise to put an end to it somehow.

The cries got louder as she approached a stand of dead trees. The creature was dark and hard to spot; its black coat didn't stand out well against the bark- but it was definitely up there. Was it stuck? She tossed her head and groaned. Of course the thing was up in a tree. Not only was she annoyed, she had to put effort into getting it down. Maybe if she kicked the tree hard enough it would shake loose and fall? It wasn't like the tree looked particularly sturdy...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. "Is the poor dear worrying you too?" Roses in Bloom had been circling the tree for some time, attempting to work out a way to knock the owlcat free. It seemed a sturdy little thing, but often small creatures had a delicate nature beneath harsh exteriors. Perhaps that was more self-reflective, but it was not a thought Rose would voice aloud. When the second doe arrived, her pacing stilled, and she regarded the stranger with soft eyes.

"Would you be so kind as to help me get it down? I don't know whose it is, but it certainly seems a sad little thing," Roses sighed, looking up to the owlcat sadly. It was her maternal instinct, she supposed. That, or she just pitied all living things as sad and weak as she was. Her ears drooped very slightly, and she continued to regard the beast sadly.

"I don't think we can coax it... but I'm not very strong a climber." Again, Rose paused, and turned to regard the stranger. She certainly had better horns for knocking the tree, if it came to such a thing.

"Do you think bashing the tree might be best? It may seem cruel, but... perhaps a healthy dose of fear is all the little thing needs to find its legs and climb down." That seemed a wise plan. She offered the doe a smile, and then paused, only to find herself flushing embarrassment.

"O-oh! My sincerest apologies. I am called Roses in Bloom, but if you find it too much a mouthful, you may call me Rose. What should I call you?" She questioned, cocking her head to the side.

"I should like to know the name of one so kind as to help an innocent like this."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:38 pm
Well hello, legs, she thought, eyeing the newcomer and momentarily forgetting the owlcat. Let's take this in. Hell of a dame walks up to me and thinks I... oh motherfather, she thinks I'm taking pity on this creature. "I just couldn't stand the yowling any longer," Half Truth said, eyeing the doe. Definitely play the pity angle. "It's such a sad noise, isn't it? I can't stand hearing any kind of a creature make a noise that sounds so upset. How could anybody be so heartless as to not help it out?" She put on a noble face, staring up the tree. "The name's Half Truth, and that's the whole truth, sweet madame Rose. Let's get this thing down and return it to the bosom of its owner, whoever they may be; I can't imagine it enjoys being up there." She circled the tree, sizing it up- and from time to time, sneaking more glances at Roses in Bloom. Half Truth was no stranger to the fine art of flirtation, and if the pretty creature didn't object, she had every intention of laying it on thicker than honey.

"I think that a good solid shake won't hurt the little creature. Surely an owlcat goes through rougher things in life than the occasional knock-down. There's all kinds of things that eat them. Besides, don't owlcats always land on their feet?" She squared her shoulders, readying herself for the kick. She gave her muscles an experimental flex, her coat rippling over them; it was less of a warm-up than it was showing off. Roses was a stone cold fox. She glanced up in the tree, readying a line about how she wouldn't want Rose to risk her delicate hooves, when the owlcat peered forward and completely disrupted her train of thought.

"...huh," she said, backing up and craning her neck to get a better look. "That's... peculiar. You seeing what I'm seeing?" she said, gesturing up at the owlcat. "Look at its eyes. Those seem normal to you?"

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 am
At the agreement with her sentiment, Rose softened considerably, smiling softly at the other doe. It was so refreshing to meet another friendly kin in the swamp- and what a find! Strong, with a soft heart... it was a combination crafted by the Motherfather themselves. She found herself a bit more bashful than was typical, admiring Half Truth as she prepared to work the owlcat out of the tree. Rose found herself laughing to herself, a high and musical thing, at her being called madame. It had been some time (ages, really) since anyone had paid her such mind. Rose was almost inarticulate at the compliment, so rather than voice any thoughts, she nodded along to Half Truth's ideas.

It did make sense, with someone else voicing it aloud.

"I do believe you have the right idea," Rose agreed, making sure to affirm Half Truth's idea. Rather than get in the way (being more lean and long than strong), Rose ducked back from the tree's intended trajectory, falling back to watch- and perhaps intercept the falling owlcat, if necessary. It was the perfect plan, and-

...Something was off in the cadence of the doe's voice. Blinking from her reverie, Roses in Bloom rose to her hooves and trotted to stand next to the doe. Ears pinned back, she squinted, trying to get a good look at the beast.

Life Giver, as he was prone to do, stared blankly at the doe. Even if these were not his kin, it seemed he was fully capable of being just as awful. Rather than sit idly by, it regarded the strange kin, and began voicing its thoughts on the present situation.

Roses in Bloom immediately flinched back. That was... NOT the response she had been expecting.

"O-oh dear. I don't think it's particularly happy to see us."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:22 am
She wasn't going to let this owlcat ruin this for her. She was. not. Roses in Bloom was standing next to her, and that could lead to very pleasant thoughts if that thrice-damned animal would just shut up. Instinctively, she put a hoof in front of the other doe as the creature started screaming. Its banshee wail was earsplitting; Half Truth gritted her teeth and pinned her ears back in annoyance. Despite the fact that this creature had eyes as dead as the swamp was wet, she was going to "help" it whether it wanted it or not. That thing was absolutely coming out of this tree. Then she'd get it out of her life. Surely it had a home to go back to. Surely somebody was feeding it- she didn't think nature would let the creature continue to exist... unless the alligators were just ignoring it out of fear. "I'm sure the poor little thing-" and she almost choked on those words as they slipped out of her throat like overripe fruit, for while the owlcat was comparatively little, it clearly wasn't a poor beast- "Is just scared. The sooner we get it out of the tree, the better- it can't be comfortable up there." That at least was completely true; that tree did not look soft.

"Here goes," she said, squaring herself against the tree and bracing her forehooves. With a mighty snap, she slammed her hooves into the tree with a solid kick. Piece of bark and twigs rained down, but as she shook herself out she found that the owlcat was still clinging to the branch. She almost snarled in frustration- but restrained herself, for she wanted to look impressive, not petulant. "Well, that... was less than successful. I think I might try again; one more good kick like that might bring it down. I could feel that it's rotted inside."

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:48 pm
While she was excited for the company, Roses in Bloom was quickly losing faith in the situation's redeemability. The noise the little creature made was plain and simply horrible. She wanted to help it, she did... but it almost seemed as if the little dear didn't want down. With her ears pinned back, it was hard to hear Half Truth over the sound. Watching the other doe's mouth, she managed to understand 'scared' and 'comfortable', then nodded along in her best understanding. It probably was upset... if she was gone from her family, she would be upset too. To think... being separated from her children, or Dawn, without promise of seeing them again...

But no. That was not a path for today. Rose had plenty of time to wallow on her own- there was no need to drag a stranger into her pity party. On top of that, they still needed to save the owlcat. Swallowing thickly, Rose got up and skittered away from the tree to avoid the strike of Half Truth's kick.

And Motherfather, was it a kick. The owlcat's yowling ceased, and while Rose had winced at the impact, she opened her eyes and raised her ears to see... it was still up. Well, it had been a good effort! She offered Half Truth an encouraging smile, hoping to keep the stranger's spirits up.

"That was a good strike. I'm sure, if your suspicion is right, your next will aim true!" She encouraged brightly, beaming at Half Truth.

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:35 pm
Half Truth nodded, squaring herself off against the tree. "This thing's coming down, whether it wants to or not." It was unclear whether she was talking about the tree or the owlcat. "Be ready to catch it!" she called as she braced herself for another assault on the tree. With all of her strength- and she was considerably strong, for she simply adored the way toned muscles looked under sleek fur and spent a lot of time perfecting her appearance- she rammed her hind legs into the tree. With an awful crack, the dead wood splintered and toppled. Not a bad job, honestly. The screeching owlcat had flung itself from the falling tree and was now on the ground, slightly dazed.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:08 pm
At the crack of wood, Roses in Bloom jumped, still caught off-guard by the loud sound. Immediately, she scrambled over to where the owlcat landed, and curled a leg around it gently. Leaning in, she crooned softly to the creature, hoping to soothe its temper. It seemed as if it wouldn't work at first- the owlcat's fur ruffled, and it seemed on the brink of fury. Rose continued to sing softly, then nuzzled the creature's neck. Finally, the tension in it melted away, and it seemed to return her affection eagerly.

"There! Not such a sad thing now, are we?" She chirped, popping back up to beam brightly at Half Truth. The owlcat, now satisfied, curled languidly around one of Rose's legs, making a sound somewhere between a hoot and a purr. Intent on finding its home, Rose paid it no mind.

"Now... its owner can't be far from here. And you can tell it has an owner, it's too needy a thing not to!" Rose laughed, leaning down once more to nuzzle the owlcat. It was horrific looking, certainly, but it did have a soft temperament! Really, it was probably just lonely for its mother.

"If you'd like to lead the way, I can carry it. It'll be like toting my little ones around again."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:32 pm
That was cute.

No, really. It was. Rose tending to that little owlcat, the thing that had been making them both so miserable- well, it tugged at something inside Half Truth. Her heartstrings, maybe. She wasn't exactly a nurturer- but it was a nice thing to see, somebody being sweet and tender. But then... little ones. Uh-oh. Rose was somebody's mother. Somebody old enough to not need carried around anymore. Which probably meant that there was a buck in the picture somewhere, and Half Truth was definitely not one of those. Damn, damn, damn. Kids. Rose had kids. Ah well, not as though she minded pointlessly flirting. It kept her in practice, after all. And so, having not the slightest clue where its owners might be, she found herself walking next to Rose, attempting to take directions from an owlcat and cursing silently.

"So how do we know when we've found its owner?" she said, glancing at the owlcat, happily purring against Rose's coat- which she just knew was delectably soft. "Or if we're going the right way? I imagine if we were going the wrong way, it'd let us know..."

What she really wanted to talk about was this whole "Rose has kids" situation, but you couldn't just drop that into conversation. Not if you wanted to remain smooth.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 pm
"Well... I suppose we could take it whichever way, and see where the road takes us," Rose mused aloud, turning to gaze out into the swamp. She was, despite all hints otherwise, a rather skilled huntress. Perhaps not the strongest or the swiftest, but she was dedicated to the chase. And when she set her mind to something...

Lowering her head, Rose gave the owlcat a hearty sniff. On top of its typical musk, and the natural odors of the swamp, there was... something. A smell of another kimeti, and... her mate?

"Yes. Someone owns it," She affirmed, glancing up to Half Truth once more. A coy smile had taken her features, and she wondered... did the doe view her as another damsel? It had been in a dream, but she had sought Roots to the end of the earth and back. Perhaps... perhaps, moving on, she could put that dedication to good use.

"The owlcat's owner... spends a good deal of time cuddling it, from what I can tell. They were with it... not too long ago. An hour, at most. I'd imagine." With a gentle nudge, she pushed the owlcat to its feet. It leered up at her curiously, but for all intents and purposes, it seemed willing to follow.

"I'm thinking... mayhaps to our East? Let's start that way, and if we don't encounter them in an hour's time, we let the little one on its own." She snorted a bit derisively, and began to head off. Under hear breath, whether Half Truth noticed it or not, Roses in Bloom muttered,

"Now. If only ladyloves were so keen to return to you as an owlcat, my life would truly be a simpler place."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 pm
"Impressive, getting that much from a smell. I think I'm gonna trust you on this one- you seem to know what you're doing." Plus, she really didn't want to shove her face in an owlcat- though the way Rose did it was tender and... graceful, almost. Elegant. "You know, the way you have that thing charmed is really something. A stunner and a skilled tracker like you could have the whole swamp groveling at your hooves if you wanted," Half Truths said- and she honestly found herself saying the whole truth right there. Beauty wasn't everything; you needed something to go alongside it. Charm, wit, eloquence- but what Roses in Bloom seemed to have was grace, and she had it in spades. "Eastward we go; we'll see what we find that way." And hopefully it'll be more than an hour- even if she does favor bucks, I wouldn't mind being seen with her alongside me. But what was that? Something she only half heard."You say something there, Rose?"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:12 pm
At the comment of being stunning, Rose blinked in surprise, tilting her head slightly. Yes, Half Truth was most certainly flirting with her. Doing her best to mask her surprise, Rose cast her gaze down to the owlcat to hide her blush. To say she was caught off guard was the understatement of the year. How long? How long, truly, had it been?

"I'm content to have friends and children who love me, really," She replied softly, focusing her nervousness on tracking. It was a very, very faint smell, but one very distinctive. Every kin, just as they had their unique names, had a smell. And Root's... Root's was so special, even now, she remembered it.

"Oh, my sincerest apologies!" She laughed nervously, ducking her head back down once more. Her nostrils occasionally flared, but for the most part, she tracked along seamlessly. The owlcat, seeming to pick up on her intentions, toddled along after her in delight. Perhaps it knew her desire to see it home? Who knew!

"I was just... musing out loud. Bit of a poetic soul, I am. It's how my children's father and I met," She laughed, flushing a bit at the thought of their poetry. "My Root... she wasn't impressed by silver tongues. I find it refreshing to find a kin who shares in my love of wordplay."

Roses in Bloom paused.

"Oh! And there I go, rambling once more. I apologize."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:19 am
Children who love her, but no mention of a mate. They have a father, not a named, beloved daddy. Friends and children- again, no mention of a mate. Interesting. Maybe she could work with this. Or she could get at the root of things, so to speak. "I can't imagine a kin who doesn't appreciate a good kenning. Music may be the fruit of life, but poetry's the honey. Add that to a honeyed voice, and it's sweet to listen all day. Never apologize for rambling; at least, not to me. Though we haven't known each other long, I do know this- I like hearing you talk." There was something smouldering behind her words; shameless, most definitely, but Half Truth had never seen the point in shame. "But if I can ask; this Root to you- who was she? Other than important; your eyes spark when you think about her." That was true- Roses in Bloom was- at least she thought- fairly easy to read, no duplicity at all. A genuine soul. "A friend? A confidante?" She raised an eyebrow, grinning sardonically, though with no real bite behind it. More of a teasing grin than a mocking one. "Or lover? I doubt she would've liked me, if she'd had no appreciation for a silvered tongue. I've been told I take after Silver Tongue in no small way, though whether my father and I share the same lingual talents, I can't say for sure. I never really knew him."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 am
"Root was... my everything," Rose mused aloud, surprised in party by her own honesty. Perhaps it was the sensation of being under another kin's interest that had her words turned so honest- usually, she was completely willing to hide her past and simply be the best companion a kin could need. Chewing her lower lip, Roses in Bloom pondered how best to describe what Root had been. And maybe... maybe this honesty was the best way to help herself move on.

"We met as fillies, and I was smitten immediately. Root was wild, strong, and brave. Everything I'm not. I tried everything to win her over- poetry, songs..." She offered Half Truth a smile, pleased the other kin appreciated word play as much as she did. Roses in Bloom had not met this Silver Tongue, but if his name was recognizable, it likely spoke to the buck's character. She neatly tucked the tidbit away, making certain to ask Dawn- the more seasoned traveler- about the name later.

"Looking back, I don't know if she cared for me as I cared for her. She was my world, and my everything. We decided to raise children together- that's where Dawn came in, to... make up for what we lacked," Rose coughed at the last bit, a high flush taking her cheeks. "It was lovely, for a while. The three of us, and our three children. All very poetic souls, very much like their father. And then, one day..."

And there was the end of Rose's good cheer. She momentarily stumbled around the owlcat, but found her footing, determined to keep forward with tears in her eyes.

"Walking Root left. She was gone. I still don't know where she went or why she left," Rose confessed, sniffing a bit. She would not cry around Half Truth- they did not know each other well enough for that.

"So, admittedly, I'm doing some soul searching. Seeing if there's more to me than poetry and needing rescuing, as I don't believe she's coming back."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm
For the very briefest of moments, she thought about proposing a rebound fling. But even Half Truth knew that'd be a terrible thing to suggest. It would also be a terrible thing to call Rose's long-lost lover a b***h, but that didn't stop her from wanting to do so. "That's-" she paused, unsure of what to say. "That's low, leading you on like that. If she didn't want something long-term and you did- I mean, you were raising kids together and all, that seems like a long-term commitment to me- she should have said something. Loving and leaving without letting you know... she must have had a damn good reason- though, to be honest, I can't think of a qualifying reason." She prided herself on being upfront with her romances; it was one of those things that she refused to actually lie about. Her name was Half Truth, not False Promise. "Though- I mean, look at you." She bit her lip, debating phrasing. "Anyone can see there's more to you than a damsel in distress. You're leading this rescue mission, not me. Yeah, it's just an owlcat, but it's something, you know? And you're seeing it through. Sounds to me that's more than what your Walking Root would do- she turned tail and fled, but you're still here. For what it's worth, more than half the battle is being there. I'm not going to tell you to forget her. It's not my place to do that. Might not be anybody's place. But I've known you for less than a day and I can already see there's more to you than just being her other half. You're more than that. You think you're not brave, but you took time out of your day to help something poor and helpless. You think you're not strong, but to be on your hooves after a betrayal like that... That takes strength, you know. Maybe not physical strength, but it belies an inner core of iron, not sap." She fell silent, wondering if she'd said too much. She looked down at her hooves, cheeks burning, waiting for the other doe to get angry with her. That's what would happen next, right?

This happened sometimes. She was usually able to stop herself before going too far, but... this might have gone over some boundaries. Something had happened to send her beyond her usual flirtations; she found herself actually admiring this doe, and not just physically. No, her stupid heart was fluttering. She had to stop that. Were they getting any closer to the owlcat's home?

Roleplaying

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff