Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Pride Parades Being Trans Exclusive

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

acidambience

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:35 pm
I don't know if anyone out there has had this same issue but the last Pride I went to here had literally no inclusion of Trans individuals. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and what is your view on this?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:52 pm
I haven't really seen that, but then again I don't go to many rallies  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:30 pm
I have heard of pride parades only being for gays and lesbians. Bisexual? Not only there is nothing for you, you'll get attacked verbally, emotionally, physically, all of the above, or a combination of the two. Trans? Nothing for you either.

I used to want to go to a pride event, but because of the treatment of bisexuals there, I am too scared to go.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:33 pm
I think it's awful that trans people were excluded. Transgendered people deserve to show their pride in themselves just as much as cisgendered gay men and lesbians.

There are no pride parades around here (I'm from a small town), but I would certainly raise a stink if there were one and it excluded the transgendered.

Unknown Lifeform Brett

High-functioning Lunatic

20,015 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:12 am
TigerLilyChick
I have heard of pride parades only being for gays and lesbians. Bisexual? Not only there is nothing for you, you'll get attacked verbally, emotionally, physically, all of the above, or a combination of the two. Trans? Nothing for you either.

I used to want to go to a pride event, but because of the treatment of bisexuals there, I am too scared to go.

im afraid of going to lgbt events for the same reason. im bi but im in a hetero relationship

heck even gays that dont act fem get crap at some of these events. its horrible. it feels like if you arent a stereotypical gay or lesbian then you dont matter and arent welcome  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:46 am
Shanna66
TigerLilyChick

im afraid of going to lgbt events for the same reason. im bi but im in a hetero relationship

heck even gays that dont act fem get crap at some of these events. its horrible. it feels like if you arent a stereotypical gay or lesbian then you dont matter and arent welcome

Nail on the head. It's why I don't openly state my sexuality unless asked in the right circumstance. I am not a traditional bi man, unless you mean in the depraved bisexual way, what with all the wine and recreational drug use. But that's a personal issue, not a moral one.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:20 pm
Skreemer
Shanna66
TigerLilyChick

Nail on the head. It's why I don't openly state my sexuality unless asked in the right circumstance. I am not a traditional bi man, unless you mean in the depraved bisexual way, what with all the wine and recreational drug use. But that's a personal issue, not a moral one.

idk what a stereotypical bi woman is, 15 and slutty? i honestly dont know anymore lol.

i must give off a bit of a homo vibe though, ive had a lot of people assume i was a lesbian or not act surprised when they found out i was bi.

but most people assume in straight since thats common and i have a huaband  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:47 pm
I haven't ever been to a Pride Parade or anything, but I definitely think Transgender people should be included. They are all part of the same community, and more harassed than cisgender gay people according to statistics, so I think they deserve to be in the Parade if they wish to, definitely.  

FawnyCopper

Big Vampire

11,925 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • OTP 200

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:11 pm
I haven't been to a pride event, but I have heard of incidents where trans, bi, and even straight allies were not welcome. I'm hoping with Caitlin Jenner's transition that will help bring about change, but who knows. All I do know is that if someone is showing up to an event to show their support, it shouldn't matter what they identify as or what they look like. They are there to support, so don't bash them and make them feel unwanted.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:52 pm
i dont really go to pride events. for a lot of reasons. but i seen (and experienced some of) how nontrans ppl in 'the community' treat trans ppl. esp when they think none are around. : / not even touching on how trans folks step on trans ppl who dont have access to the same things they do....  

super kaki

Mewling Kitten

6,600 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:07 pm
super kaki
i dont really go to pride events. for a lot of reasons. but i seen (and experienced some of) how nontrans ppl in 'the community' treat trans ppl. esp when they think none are around. : / not even touching on how trans folks step on trans ppl who dont have access to the same things they do....

honestly between the truscum, the tucutes, and everyone stuck in between i just dont want to touch the trans community with a 30ft pole most days

its crazy. i dont even know if i would consider myself cis or gender neutral/nonbinary or what but i dont really want to reach out to any part of the trans community besides for a few individuals.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:14 pm
the whole effing movement was started by trans people and now people aren't even letting us in??? This is crazy.
Apparently at philly pride there were trans men showing off their scars.  

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces