Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP] Good taste. (Octobre & Keshani Avenara)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:43 pm
User Image

Judging by the scent of blood Octobre had been following, it didn't seem to belong to an entirely fresh kill, but recent enough to not be stale. Recent enough to still be bleeding. Either way, the mare wasn't picky. She'd try any type once, as one time was better than none. It didn't matter what condition it was in. It also sometimes didn't matter who was nearby. But in this case, Octobre was not expecting the predator of the kill (if there was one) to still be near the scene. Scavengers, maybe, but she would figure out the best course of action once she arrived at the source.

The smell of warm grass breaking under her hooves was enough to bother her, but not enough to hide the trail she followed. She was close now...close enough to feel the shade of buzzards circling overhead. But what was their target--her target?

And then she saw it--just down an incline of land was a clear area of attack. Unfortunately, it was occupied by more than a corpse. There was still a chance things could play out in a positive way, but there was also a chance...hm. She didn't like games of chance. But Octobre couldn't flee now without almost certainly attracting the attention of the nearby living individual, and so she merely froze like a deer in the headlights, stuck in a circle of thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:05 pm
User Image
((Latonia's Teepee, This Way!))

Keshani had risen with the dawn, restless and ill-tempered even in her den at the heart of her territory. It was one of several little havens built into her territory, and she moved between them with no discernible pattern. In that freedom lay safety, important to a mare with a mad Skinwalker for a mother that constantly thirsted for her blood.

Her father had raised her to be hard to track, impossible to predict. And she followed his teachings, used them to defend herself against pure-bred Kalona when their strength threatened to overwhelm her. The lessons didn't have to apply to one enemy when she could expand it to include them all. Which meant that Keshani was highly aware of her territory, and any disturbances within or around. And after a few hours worth searching, exploring and patrolling, she had found it.

There was a kill that lingered close to her borders, some days old. It was tucked into a little bowl in the land, and she circled like a restless hunting-cat as she evaluated it from all angles. The lush carpet of grass was stained with blood that had already turned to brown flakes, a testament to the age of the kill. However, the spill of blood went tacky-damp with a misplaced hoof and the crush of grass.

Some days, then... It made a certain kind of sense, she supposed. At that time she had been away from her territory, visiting her brother. It had been a pleasant distraction, to spend time in the company of Kin. When she returned it had been late enough that she'd gone straight to her den-site, and then woken once-again unsettled. At first she had thought it was just because she was once again alone, but now she had located the source of her disquiet.

Something had been hunting close to her territory. Something strong and arrogant enough to leave their kill lying about at her borders. The arrogance made her lay her ears flat to her skull, her silver eyes narrowed and lips curling back to bare her dainty fangs. Killing my prey, on my lands? How dare you?

The mare gave a bitter snarl, her tail lashing back and forth like a restless serpent. Busy growling softly over the abandoned kill, she almost missed the approach of the other mare. However, the faint shift of wind and a ripple of awareness down Keshani's spine made the Kalona-cross mare spin to face the new arrival.

At the sight of the gray mare, she hesitated. When she spoke her voice was steady, unquestioning and cool. "You did not do this."

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:07 am
If Octobre hadn't been so focused on watching the other mare for sudden movements, she would've averted her gaze out of sheer intimidation. Anyone even remotely Kalona-looking was never Octobre's first choice in acquaintance. She and her self-preservation were good friends, and the situation at present was causing that friend to offer more than a few escape plans. But she had been spoken to. A reply was in order. At the end of the day, sometimes it was a reply that could save your life.

"No, I did not," she answered honestly. Now came the question of how to proceed. From what she could surmise, the horned female hadn't killed the beast, either. So not only had Octobre stumbled into someone's territory, she had stumbled into a territory battle. If she wasn't careful, she'd become part of it. No, she already was. She decided for the moment that she did want to flee, but it was still too soon to tell if she could do so safely. She needed more information.

"I apologize if I've trespassed," she began, but then paused for a few moments before amending herself with, "No, I have trespassed..." She didn't outwardly appear to be losing her grip in any way, but her mind was reeling through scenarios. As it did so, her eyes betrayed her and darted to the bloodied kill before locking on the horned mare once more. It had only been for a half second, but it was enough to make Octobre feel like she appeared to be without control--of herself or the situation. She despised that feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm
User Image
Keshani Avenara gave the mare a warning look, her keen eyes narrowing as she waited for signs of a lie, or even a simple omission. This mare was in her territory, or near enough to offend her, and there was a kill on the ground that neither of them had made. Which meant someone, or something, was nearby and had no regard for Keshani's territory. How dare they.

Which meant that now, more than anything, she deeply wanted find them and destroy them. But that was a matter for another time, because the mare was answering and as far as Keshani could tell, she was being honest. She did not make the kill, which Keshani knew... But she did not say it like she knew who had done it, either.

"You remain outside the borders of my territory, though the margin by which you have avoided it is quite narrow." Keshani explained, her voice tight but some of the tension fading from her form. She fluffed her wings, shaking off some of the rage and storing it away until it could be put to use. "It is not enough to warrant immediate action, but I accept your apology. I am sure it is somewhat unclear to you that this land is unclaimed, I have been somewhat lax in that area as of late."

She said it in a way that left little doubt she would be taking action in the future. Still, the mare's attention drifted to the kill, rather than remaining on Keshani who still posed a danger to her, and that raised some interesting questions. Glancing to the kill as well, Keshani took a step away from the body. "If it is of interest to you, feel free. I can find no sign of the original hunter, and I am not hungry at this time. I would prefer the blood or flesh not go to waste if it is of interest to you."

Mostly, she was interested to see what this mare would do with the kill, now that she had been granted permission.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am
As Octobre listened to the horned mare with every ounce of focus she possessed, she felt herself gradually feeling lighter. Well, not immensely lighter, but enough to notice. She was very used to things going from bad to worse, but when things got better right before her eyes it was a delightful surprise. Not that you could tell from the plain look on her face.

Territories were foreign concepts to Octobre. She understood why some possessed them, but she herself had absolutely no use for them whatsoever. To be confined to one area meant limiting her blood-tasting hobby to only a select few samples. She'd spend her days hoping someone, anyone new and different, would wander in. What a horrible life that would be to lead. And yet here was a mare not so much unlike herself who was quite content to remain in one space. Then again, Octobre had no way of knowing how large her territory really was. She was just happy not to be completely trespassing. And what's more, she now had permission to enter in...

A little bewildered at the sudden kindness (or at least practicality) of the other mare's offer, Octobre folded her wings and bowed her head slightly. She wasn't the best at knowing how to properly express gratitude, but she hoped it was evident.

"I won't take much at all," Octobre said certainly, hooves practically itching with each step she took towards the kill. Her eyes hovered over the blood, seeking a spot of freshest spill. She dipped down took the crimson into her mouth, eyes closing and ears falling so that the strength of her senses flew to her mouth. Her nostrils flared with the scent as she studied every aspect of taste. She carefully noted each rise and fall, each unique note, and then lifted her head. She studied even how the blood felt dripping from her own mouth, not bothering to clean it away entirely.

When she had considered herself finished, she turned her head to the mare and, though she tried at first, couldn't suppress a smile as she said, "Thank you."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:12 pm
User Image
The matter of whom or what was hunting on or near her land would apparently have to wait. It was sufficient enough to note that this mare was not the culprit, and as such Keshani stored her rage away at the insolence until she could unleash it upon the proper target. She had no wish to see her rage wasted, her father taught her better than that.

'But it will be handled.' She noted quietly, sliding away the ember of rage until it would crystallize into a cold and vicious fury. 'Take heed, interloper... If you get near or dare to cross me again, I will not be lenient towards you. Not in the slightest.'

Again, those were thoughts for another time. For a time when this mare had been sent back to, wherever it was she came from. And what an interesting place it must be, to call such a Soquili its daughter.

After a moment of silent consideration, the kalona-cross mare gave a shrug. "Take much or little, it is of no consequence to me. This is not my kill and I have no stake in it, if you would do your part to see that less goes to waste, I may drag it away from my lands before leaving it for scavengers to find."

She took another silent step away from the matter, presenting the mare with a freer path and a wordless sort of approval. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see what she would do with the freedom to taste the kill. After all, those Soquili with wings like that were supposed to be above the call of blood, were they not?

Then again, as Keshani watched the mare lift her head, apparently sated by her drink, it did not seem that such truths were in evidence. Without a word Keshani considered the stranger, nothing the blood dripping from her muzzle once her head was lifted. 'How interesting' she thought bemusedly, though it did not filter into her tone. "Have you had your fill, then?"

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:08 pm
It was still a peculiar (even awkward) situation no matter how Octobre looked at it, but she still couldn't see a reason to abandon her manners. It was a curse to be polite, she thought. Then again, that so-called curse had saved her skin many a time. She wasn't sure if it had in this case, or if this Kalona-blooded mare would've spared her regardless, but at present she was content to believe things had turned out positively based on her own actions.

Conceited thinking? Perhaps.

So that was it, then. She'd sipped new blood and fulfilled her goal. The carcass would be abandoned and left for someone else to pick at. That was that...

An odd shiver of guilt trembled in the bloodied mare's gut and she narrowed her unfocused gaze. Odd, she'd never usually...ponder death so closely, and yet...was it the circumstances? Being faced with her own potential demise while relishing in the already deceased? She really didn't know. But she suddenly felt that she'd had enough of everything for one day. She felt very tired...

"Yes, I've had my fill," Octobre replied almost demurely, always careful not to make too much direct eye contact. But her wandering gaze suggested she was now doing so out of preoccupation rather than submission. "If you don't mind, I'll...take my leave," she offered stiffly, unsure of how to end the encounter. The blood she'd drank sat heavy inside her and was beginning to make her maw feel uncomfortable. She wanted to wash it off quickly. It was odd...and infuriating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 pm
User Image
Keshani watched the mare with narrowed eyes; the patient, still eyes of a huntress. Her father had taught her patience as a foal, had taught her how to settle down in a low place and wait... Wait until time slowed until it moved like a slush-filled river. Wait for danger to grow bored or confused or too hungry to continue to pursue her. She knew how to be still and to hide when the monster that was once her mother hunted, and she turned that knowledge to her advantage when she took down prey. And sometimes the wait was more effective than any herding or pursuit techniques.

She was half waiting for the mare to slip up, to show just too soft of a spot that she would not be able to help but attack. If there was too easy of a strike to the throat or belly, a soft target that sang to the hunter, then this mare was dead and she knew it. Still, Keshani watched her and waited. Waited for her manners to cave, for anything that would provide ample motivation. Still, in spite of her clear discomfort Octobre was cautious. Careful, aware that she could easily be prey.

"An unusual habit." Keshani remarked with a faint tilt of her head. "Your blood drinking."

As if there was any doubt of which habit she was referring to. Still, considering the mare herself, it was not the sort Keshani would assume would drink blood. When the mare said something about leaving, Keshani made a negating sound and drifted slightly to one side, placing herself in Octobre's path.

"Not just yet... Now then, back to your habit. I wonder, how do you feed it when kills do not fall at your feet?"

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 am
Ah.

So it had all been a mistake.

Failed calculations were an unfortunate occurrence in Octobre's life. She did her best to avoid them and only enter into scenarios that offered a majority of positive rather than negative outcomes, thereby minimizing risk. But she wasn't perfect, and she was also far from being able to predict the actions of a Kalona, mixed or pure. The situation wasn't entirely her fault, but it was undesirable just the same. She would have to continue the song and dance.

Unfortunate.

Battling the odd urge to stretch her wings, Octobre maintained her composure and prepared to feed answers to the horned mare. When one falls into a spider's web, one must make sacrifices of appeasement...and hope for success.

"Mostly luck," Octobre answered joylessly, "but some are willing." Her eyes found their way to the mountains in the distance. "Some are not."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:48 pm
User Image
Keshani had spent quite a bit of time since her youth being excluded or looked down upon for her mixed heritage. Her father and brother gave no sign of theirs -clearly Avant took after father- but she and her sister had been a different case entirely. Kesha had never longed to fit in with them, the pures and their arrogant ways, but it did mean she looked for something... Something without a name.

Even now she was hunting for it, and while this mare was proving she was without a doubt unique, it wasn't the sort of thing Kesha was searching for. At least, not within her own life. But that didn't mean they couldn't be allies, be something like friends, for a time.

"Mostly." Keshani echoed in thoughtful stillness. "How very lucky you must be, then. Though you do not take much, am I right in assuming this is not the main course of your diet? Simply a, supplement, if you will?"

She tilted her head thoughtfully, mulling over the idea. "Do you hunt at all, or merely scavenge?"

Keshani would probably never teach another to hunt, not after what happened with her adopted daughter. She dreaded one day having foals to instruct for that very reason. But for the moment, that was neither here nor there. "I sustain myself on a mixed diet, but do regularly bring down small and even larger game. Would their blood be of interest to you?"

She had no idea why she asked, but suddenly the words were out and Keshani could do nothing but wait for the mare's response.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:53 am
Hunting, scavenging, what did it matter? Those words meant nothing to Octobre. She was merely seeking, constantly searching, never ceasing...it was an endless game, and she had no one to blame but herself. She made the rules. She was the sole player. Could she blame her genes? Her predecessors? No. So how to answer such a question? What did it really mean for someone else to be curious about her? Was that what this was? Perhaps if she satisfied this Kalona-blooded mare's thirst for pointless knowledge, she would let Octobre leave with most of her pride still in tact.

"I suppose I'd consider myself a little bit lucky..." she nearly murmured, "...and yes, you're right." So that was that. Well, at least partially. What was next?

...What was this? An invitation?

How...odd.

Unexpected?

With some hesitation at first in the formulation of her reply, Octobre answered, "That would...depend. I am only interested in what I have never--tried." Peculiar to say, but the truth was her clear means of salvation at present and so she stuck fast to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 pm
User Image
She could see the blankness in the other mare's eyes, knew that her question was not understood. To Keshani, it was perfectly clear of course. It was also something of a test, though she supposed she should be content with an honest answer rather than the expected or preferred one... Still, it was a disappointment in a way. Still she needed to seek, to hunt, to figure out what she was missing.

The question was clear, though the mare's motives remained less so. Hunting was active, it meant the mare could handle herself... It also meant Keshani didn't have to teach her, didn't have to worry or lose like she had with her sweet white daughter. Just the thought of it angered her. Scavenging was more passive, less conflict involved except in the instance of other scavengers. Keshani was proud, was strong, was sleek and fast and keen. She was a huntress. She could make the kill and feast on the flesh and leave what remained for carrion birds or others that would make a meal of it.

She nodded when the mare agreed some of it was luck, and this was not the staple of her diet. So then, it appeared she could afford to be picky. "I thought as much."

The response was less than gracious. And at that, Keshani gave the mare a somewhat annoyed glance. This one was making herself a rather difficult pet, truth be told. Which Keshani had little patience or tolerance for, but she attempted to rein in her temper. Only interested in what she had not tried? Well, she did not understand a gift when Keshani offered it, but that was no matter.

"What have you tried?" The Kalona-cross mare countered.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

[Eskimo]
Crew

Anxious Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:12 pm
What was that...?

She had thought as much, did she?

Clearly this was a mare of profound intelligence, but it was becoming ever clearer that she was simultaneously a mare of strong will. And by strong will, Octobre really meant arrogance. Just what did she know, exactly? But then, Octobre only readily recognized those traits because she possessed them herself. What was she to do, then? This song and dance was growing increasingly tiring. It was providing her with nothing. She was presently existing solely for the whims of another. That was not something Octobre enjoyed in the least. But there was still no way out. Curse her own cowardice.

She swallowed her spite.

"A number of things," Octobre answered shortly. But when it seemed that was the end to her response, the mare continued. "A countless number of things, from more places than I can recall, from every time of day," she prattled off darkly, eyes betraying nothing. "Mammals, fish, insects," she added coolly, eyes wandering as she seemed to search the confines of her memories. But her search brought forth nothing worthwhile to add.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 pm
User Image
Keshani may have been a mixed blood, but her sire was Kalona proud. He had raised her to be headstrong and forthright, to be fearless and unwavering. And she was proud, in her mixed blood, in her fury, in her ability to fight and hunt. And this mare was not a hunter, was not sleek and dangerous. She was, odd, but not enough to find kinship in.

It was disappointing.

Say what you wished about first impressions, but Keshani was finding this mare's second impression to be far more disappointing. At first she had seemed, well, more.. And now? Now the result was most definitely less.

'How utterly disagreeable.' She thought with a low snort. 'A petty little scavenger, nothing more. And a picky one at that! Well then, enough is enough.'

"Mammals, indeed." Keshani echoed coolly with a twist of her lip and a wry flash of silver eyes. "And pray tell, what mammals are these? Rabbits, beavers, deer, buffalo, squirrel, hare, chipmunk, bear, bobcat, panther? Soquili? Of the wind or healing horn? Of the earth or fiery fury? Of angelic wing? Fish. Bah! Where is the trial of hunting fish? And insects?"

The Kalona mare paced away, shaking her head. "No, nevermind. This will never do. It appears I overestimated you, but it is no matter. What next do you seek to try then?"

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces