Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm
User Image

Speaking with his mother and little miss Keri had been quite the reality check of his situation. It was, he was, an absolute disgrace... Truly. To think that he could even properly care for even one little girl without changing his ways was irresponsible at best.

If he actually cared about them, he had to do something more than just visit and say that he was providing anything to them.

Hjortur had to change his actions to reflect what he wanted them to understand, to be a parent, by blood or not, that they might think back on fondly and with pride. Perhaps with some laughs at the silly things he'd done in the beginning, but confident in his position as an ultimate role-model.

There was only one he could speak with to do so.

Careful in his approach, he waiting to catch Aeroniel in as good a mood as he figured he'd find her before approaching her in the proper, formal way. Even if it didn't seem it in recent times, he'd been a fairly adept student when he was younger, and even now those skills were only minimally diminished. A shame, really, that he hadn't used those talents to become a guard.

Bowing his head slightly, respectfully, he addressed her. "Lady Aeroniel, if you would have time to speak with me, I would be greatly appreciative." When was the last time he'd spoken quite so formally?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:46 pm
User Image"As good of a mood" was probably a good way to describe Aeroniel's "good" moods. She didn't really have them as of late, but there were some moods that were better than others.

Some times that she wanted to pummel other pae'il just a bit less.

One of those times was just after partaking in some spirits and evening food. Food relaxed her, and the spirits did even more, allowing Aeroniel to finally seat herself and lean back, closing her eyes and taking in the environment around her. When the others left the banquet hall, it was even better. Quiet, or as close as she could get to it with her mind. Quiet, finally.

Peace was a rarity when someone could hear the thoughts of everyone else on a near constant basis.

The quiet, though, meant she was hyperaware of anyone's approach, both for the reason it pierced her peace, and for the reason it disturbed the actual physical quiet in the room. When Hjortur slipped into the hall to find her, Aeroniel popped an eye open, straightening herself out and making sure to look the utmost ladylike before the other arrived. No one could see her behaving so casually. Shameful, really. Aeroniel needed to be intimidating.

When Hjortur came up to her and asked an oddly formal question, she quirked a brow. He wanted something -- that much was obvious. Hjortur would never be that formal without a good reason. Aeroniel could probe, but perhaps it was better to ask.

"What do you need, Hjortur?"

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Codebreaking Conversationalist

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:26 am
If Hjortur had noticed Aeroniel's more lax position, even a brief glance, he made no comment or passing thought of it. He was there to ask for a favor, not make a fool of her (whether or not he had actually noticed).

Straight to the point, how like her.

He should answer as such.

Coughing once as she addressed him, he moved a bit closer before continuing. "Is there need in the royal orchestra to have a vacancy filled?" A pause. "My virtuosic abilities should come without saying... Any instrument, any position, demanded, I can fill." Another pause, only then his hesitation showing in the slightest.

Quite frankly, he was terrified of asking for this, asking for a permanent position. A position with expectations, with responsibilities, with commitment.

"May I return to the palace as... as more than a dishonored guest this occasion...?"

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 am
That was decidedly not what she had been expecting.

A question about one of the children he seemed to have a knack for collecting? Sure.

Something about how he was late for the buffet amd was wondering if there was any food left for him to take? Definitely.

Approaching her for a courtly position?

That was very much not what she was thinking.

Aeroniel, master of the courtly straight face, did not really show the surprise on her features, but she did take a longer than usual pause in her attempt to answer him. Aeroniel was clearly not quite ready for that change in behaviour, ability to read minds or not. She supposed it made sense, though. He may have left them with his parents often, but he had children to raise.

"You wish to be a court musician?" parroted Aeroniel, making sure she heard him right. And then, she paused.

Tapping her fin lightly against the floor, Aeroniel pursed her lips. "I could easily find a musician's place for you, I am certain of that. But if I am to add you, I must be certain you're committed."

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:28 pm
Again, his hesitation showed only by the brief nod and prolonged pause he gave rather than answering with immediate confidence. His posture and otherwise strong tone attempted to mask these reservations, but one could never hope to fully conceal their body's natural impulses.

Well... Perhaps none but the most courtly of individuals, such as the Lady herself.

"Yes..." he said almost a bit too softly before he shook he head and looked at her, eye to eye, his stance hardened. "Yes, if they would have me." Had he been any strange naiad off the corals, unfamiliar to the palace and its ways, perhaps this wouldn't have been the best way to ask for work. As he was, perhaps it was even a worse attempt.

But it was an attempt none the less.

"Of my commitment to this request, I can give you only my word." and he was not one to go against his word. Even she could not help but recognize that fact.

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:12 pm
Of course the Orchestra would have Hjortur. That, in particular, was not a question. Hjortur's talents were clear, naturally gifted with the instruments he played with a good ear for music in general.

What was a question was the second caveat that came with this.

The only guarantee she had of Hjortur's was his word.

She had never known him to be one to break promises, at least not intentionally, but he had never been one to be particularly dedicated. It was hard to say if Aeroniel should really take him at his word considering her track record, and while he would ultimately be bunted out at no fault of her own if he did fail, it did not necessarily reflect well on her to be recommending naiad who would not work out. Arguably, her letting him in was her vouching for him.

Did she want to vouch for him?

Aeroniel let out a long, heavy sigh. She was hoping Hjortur was going to ask her for something more minor and easy. Putting her reputation on the line for someone who could not commit was not exactly an easy position to put herself in. At the same time, though, she had never known him to back away from his word. He was honest and he stuck to what he said. Even though he had ... lost track of his children ... he owned up to it and he actually decided to listen to her advice. Arguably, he was ... growing up.

This was probably part of his growing up: to do something for the court. And sure, he wasn't going to be a guard, but he would make a better musician, anyway.

"Alright." Aeroniel's eyes flashed for a moment, giving him a stern glance, "I accept your request. You may certainly join the Court Orchestra and be considered a Court Musician."

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am
Though he knew he was well-suited for the position, perhaps one of the best for it, in fact, it still reassured him that Aeroniel was willing to go out on a limb and refer him to the orchestra. He, a court musician? If one had asked if that was an aspiration to him long ago, of course he would have said no.

Perhaps his answer would return to that in the future.

But in the present, he wanted to do more for the ones he had accidentally, irrationally and irresponsibly, taken in. He wanted to actually be a father that they could refer to with more than embarrassment. A figure they might actually take pride in and look up to.

Maybe that was inevitably asking for too much of him, but he wouldn't know unless he tried. Now that he'd given his word, been (more or less) accepted, there was really no going back.

Just forward.

With his little princesses and prince beside him for the journey.

"Th-thank you Lady Aeroniel..." he stammered, not having entirely been expecting a positive response after such little convincing.

Well... Now what...?

Seiana_ZI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 am
He might have not expected it to be that easy, but Aeroniel had never been one to beat around the proverbial kelp. Hjortur was well-suited to the role and, well, if he was going to get himself to commit to anything...

Playing music for the queen and her court would be easy enough.

Besides, she had arguably known Hjortur for most of his life. Aeroniel didn't trust anypae, but the closest she could get to that was someone she already knew the mind of, and had known it many times. Hjortur's voice was familiar to her, and by now, she could figure his behaviours. One of those was his tendency to keep to what he said.

Aeroniel shifted, simply nodding to the stuttering Hjortur as he seemed to figure out what to do with himself. "It isn't an issue. You can report tomorrow to their practice chambers, I'm sure you'll fit in like a glove."

She paused for a moment, tapping her tail against the floor again. "Was there anything else?"

Daisicle

Seiana_ZI

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:21 am
At the detail of what he was to do, Hjortur simply nodded. It all seemed so very not real at all. Time would be needed to digest this new development, and it appeared Lady Aeroniel wanted some personal time to finish her digestion as well. Shaking his head to her further inquiry, Hjortur replied with an (almost) hollow, "No m'aam," before lowering his head and excusing himself from the situation.

He was a mix of emotions: proud that he'd been accepted, happy that he would be able to provide a real home for the little ones, sad that his parents would return to being alone, afraid that he was now in a position of responsibility.

But, perhaps most importantly of all, he was excited to see what might come of this development. He'd started becoming cynical if people were truly enjoying his music or if they only acted as a result of his invisible powers, bringing them to express themselves in joy and dance. Part of him had begun to feel that it was no longer he who others smiled at, but at the spirits about him. Only minor, passing thoughts, but this might be a nice change of pace. Perhaps, in his attempt to keep things new, he'd fallen into a sort of rut of the same behaviors, same activities, same thoughts.

How ironic?

Was this going to ultimately be a good thing? Only the spirits knew. He was ready to try it out though.

Seiana_ZI

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff