Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion
Official Attack On Titan Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:21 am
Greetings Attack On Titan Fans,

The first time that I heard about the "Attack On Titan" series was at the Youmacon 2013 convention in Nov 2013 in Detroit, Michigan that I went to. I joined in on an Attack on Titan cosplayer photoshoot. During the photoshoot I asked one of the other photographers what the series was. Seeing how the cosplayers were dressed up and the name of the series got my interest. Since then I have bought the series and have come to like it. Here is the setting and part of the plot of the series: (The info comes from Wikipedia)

Setting

Over one hundred years prior to the beginning of the story, giant humanoid creatures called Titans suddenly appeared and nearly wiped out humanity, devouring them without remorse or reason. What remains of humanity now resides within a country surrounded by three enormous concentric walls: the outermost is Wall Maria; the middle wall is Wall Rose, and the innermost is Wall Sheena. Inside these walls, humanity has lived in peace for one hundred years; many people growing up without ever having seen a Titan. This all changes when one day, a giant 60 meter tall (200 ft) - tall Titan mysteriously appears and breaches the outer wall of the Shiganshina district, a town at Wall Maria, allowing the smaller Titans to invade the district. An Armored Titan smashes clean through Wall Maria, forcing mankind to abandon the land between Wall Maria and Wall Rosé, evacuating the remaining population into the inner districts. The sudden influx of population causes turmoil and famine.

The Titans are giant humanoids about 3–15 meters tall that are usually masculine in body shape but without reproductive organs. They instinctively attack and eat humans on sight, but do not prey on them for food. Their skin is tough and difficult to penetrate, and they regenerate quickly from injuries, except for a weak spot at the nape of their neck.
Combating the Titans is the military, which is divided into three branches. Foremost in the story is the Survey, which goes out into Titan territory in order to try to reclaim the land. The Survey Corps are heavily derided in society because of their high casualty rate and little sense of progress. Another branch is the Garrison Regiment, which guards the walls and the civilian populace. The third branch is the Military Police, who guards the royal family and live a relatively relaxed life. The soldiers use a tethering system called Vertical Maneuvering Equipment which allows them to jump onto walls, trees, or nearby buildings to attack Titans.

Plot

The story of Attack on Titan centers around the adventures of Eren Yeager, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert. After the wall which protects their hometown of Shinganshina is breached by Titans, Eren watches in horror as one of them eats his mother. Vowing to kill all Titans, Eren enlists in the military along with his friends.
Five years later, the three cadet graduates are positioned in Trost District, one of the border towns jutting out of Wall Rose, when the Titans attack again. In the ensuing battle, Eren is eaten by one of the Titans before Armin's eyes. However, a Titan later appears that begins fighting the other ones instead of harming humans; the Titan is revealed to be Eren, who has somehow developed the ability to transform into one. Though he is seen as a threat by some, he helps the military take back Trost. After being placed on trial for being a danger to the humans, he is taken in by the Survey Corps' Special Operations Squad, led by Captain Levi.

I've noticed during 2014 that this series has become very popular and I have seen everything from plushies, drawings, figures, and a lot of "Attack on Titan" cosplayers during the two conventions that I have gone to. Feel free to tell everyone on this thread what you like about the series and if you have ever cosplayed one of the characters. Based on the popularity of the series I'm hoping to see a lot of comments posted on this thread.

Below is a photo that I took at Youmacon 2014 last month. I'm sure that any fan of the series will like this photo. If you happen to be one of the cosplayers in this photo please let me know. Since I'm a Cosplay Photographer I will give you credit on both this site and on my Deviant Art page. Also if you know which characters from the series that these cosplayers are please let me know. I'm familiar with the series but I want to make sure that I get the correct characters names.

User Image

Attack on Titan Cosplayers taken at Youmacon 2014, Nov 1st 2014, Detroit, Michgan  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:32 pm
I know the one on the left is Jean, but I'm unsure about the one on the right. It could be a Sasha but Sasha doesn't have glasses, or it may be Hanji [who does have glasses]. Sometimes it's hard to tell without a character specific wig.

Also AoT is the best anime ever.  

Ouja Akuma

Wealthy Genius

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 pm
Ouja Akuma
I know the one on the left is Jean, but I'm unsure about the one on the right. It could be a Sasha but Sasha doesn't have glasses, or it may be Hanji [who does have glasses]. Sometimes it's hard to tell without a character specific wig.

I knew that I would find a fan of the Attack on Titan series. smile Some cosplayers that need to wear glasses in real life keep them on at conventions. I still need to get in the habit of asking the cosplayer if their glassed are part of their outfit. I do know what you are saying about having a wig on. Sometimes I can identify a cosplayer just by the wig that they are wearing. I will have to check out both photos of Sasha and Hanji cosplayers to help figure the other character out. Thanks a lot for the help. When I post my cosplay photography photos on my Deviant Art page I like to have as much info that I can about the character and series that they are from. Many of my photos are very quick 1 minute ones which makes it hard to ask questions.

I have a couple of questions for you. What do you like the most about the series and who are your favorite characters. I like Science Fiction a lot so that is what drawn me to the series in the first place. It makes me curious as to how the human race ended up in this situation. Also the outfits are cool and I Love how quick it makes them move around which comes in handy for attacks. smile It was the outfits of these cosplayers that made me want to take this photo and showcase it for all Attack on Titan fans. My favorite characters are Eren and Mikasa.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:55 pm
smithers456
Ouja Akuma

I knew that I would find a fan of the Attack on Titan series. smile Some cosplayers that need to wear glasses in real life keep them on at conventions. I still need to get in the habit of asking the cosplayer if their glassed are part of their outfit. I do know what you are saying about having a wig on. Sometimes I can identify a cosplayer just by the wig that they are wearing. I will have to check out both photos of Sasha and Hanji cosplayers to help figure the other character out. Thanks a lot for the help. When I post my cosplay photography photos on my Deviant Art page I like to have as much info that I can about the character and series that they are from. Many of my photos are very quick 1 minute ones which makes it hard to ask questions.

I have a couple of questions for you. What do you like the most about the series and who are your favorite characters. I like Science Fiction a lot so that is what drawn me to the series in the first place. It makes me curious as to how the human race ended up in this situation. Also the outfits are cool and I Love how quick it makes them move around which comes in handy for attacks. smile It was the outfits of these cosplayers that made me want to take this photo and showcase it for all Attack on Titan fans. My favorite characters are Eren and Mikasa.

Don't be surprised if some of the people say they're not cosplaying a specific character. It's very common among this series for people to cosplay just random ranks. At Momocon 2013, I met a lady who was just cosplaying a Garrison soldier. No one specific. Just got the actual outfit and went on her merry way. I've seen it at Otakon and Nekocon, too.

What I like about the series is how realistic the reactions are. Isayama is very good at portraying raw emotions both with the manga and anime. There are characters that like to boast how they'll slay titans because they're so cool, but once they face a titan, face the actual danger, they become terrified. Petrified, even. They are facing death in the face and it's scary. And the after affects of the major arcs, especially with Trost, is very very real. Everyone is shaken. Everyone cant cope with the reality they are in. Because not only were the walls infiltrated a 2nd time, they're population was almost wiped out. It's scary. And this series portrays that so well. I always thought this anime was about gore and shippy things I saw on tumblr, but after watching it, I was blown away. Not only was the animation beautiful, the voice acting beyond anything I've heard before, but the emotions within each character, watching them change each arc. And it's even more present in the manga. Especially with the recent arc. Where they are now the bad guys. Their entire world was flipped upside down and watching them change, to be affected by it, is powerful. I have a lot of love for this series. It's truly a masterpiece.

As for my favorite characters, I love Levi because of his skill, because he is "the best of the best" but he still has his flaws. And my appreciation for the character grows with each page he's in because you see him suffering from all of this. Especially in the current arc. I sense a mental break down of some point in the future for him, because of his world flipping upside down (wont say too much due to spoilers but if you're up to date with the manga, you know what I'm referring to]. I also very much enjoy Erwin, because he's so trusting his Levi and Hanji that he can say two words and they'll know exactly what to do that will go with his plan. All three of them [along with Mike and the other senior members] work so well together in harmony. I really enjoy all the interactions they get, even if it's few and far inbetween. I also like Eren because his has so much potential. And as the main character, he cant do anything. Besides plugging the hole in Trost, he has never won a battle. He is utterly useless in that sense, but he has so much determination. He wont be broken. He is the perfect protagonist of the genre AoT is placed in. It's great to watch him grow from the first chapters to the one released 2 weeks ago.

I actually like a lot of the characters, but Erwin, Levi, and Eren are my top 3. I do very much like Armin, too. And Sasha. Isayama has made a fantastic cast.  

Ouja Akuma

Wealthy Genius

Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces