Welcome to Gaia! ::

AskED The Staff: Answer Archive

Back to Guilds

View everything Gaia Staff have said in Ask the Staff sessions! 

Tags: Gaia, Staff, Gaia Staff, Ask the Staff, AskED 

Reply Answers, Sorted by Subject
Arenas / Runway / Catwalk Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 pm
Avatar/Art/Housing Arenas / Gaia Runway / Catwalk

October 13th, 2014:
bluealaris
Deazy
bluealaris
xx I met my fate xx
The Avatar Arenas have been ignored for a very long time now. Many users still enjoy using them. Why not use this to your advantage Gaia? An alternative and more inclusive means to promoting your new items and possibly generating the sales that you desire, particularly your LQI's. Raise the prize amounts for winners and host a contest each week that must feature a certain LQI, or whatever random item you wish to promote. Bring life back to the Arena's, generate more interest and, dare I say, "need" for your items and utilize what you have available to you, rather than introducing something new?

I've been wanting to work with the Avatar Arena for quite a while. I would like to work on updating the prizes for the Arena to begin with, at least to make them cohesive with the current economy- then work with users to come up with more contests afterwards.

I don't think raising prize amounts is the answer, most people don't enter for the gold but for the kudos.

Now raising awareness of the Arena (and maybe the gold for voting and commenting) - that is more important and re-adding the 4 votes per IP. Adding the winners to the featured avatars would be a start.

I see your point- I'll look into ways that we can feature great Avatars that gets users a lot more kudos. For instance - maybe a weekly announcement that features the winners?

Narumi Misuhara
winterbubbles1
Pwnder
Also, throwing my idea out there heart

The Avatar Arenas have been ignored for a very long time now. Many users still enjoy using them. Why not use this to your advantage? An alternative and more inclusive means to promoting your new items and possibly generating the sales that you desire, particularly your LQI's.
Raise the prize amounts for winners and host a contest each week that must feature a certain LQI, or whatever random item you wish to promote.
Bring life back to the Arena's, generate more interest and, dare I say, "need" for your items and utilize what you have available to you. Many of us still love the Avatar arenas and there is alway so much focus on avatar items that when we get them we can't help but want to show them off wink

Any plans to update the Arenas at all?

I think it'd be fun to have this and have a good prize so more people will use it ^^

I agree we should, arenas is our cursed project, we've tried three times to update that feature and something catastrophic has happened to it each time.
X_X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 pm
November 3rd, 2014:

bluealaris
Nenanah
Features/Items

The gold and silver medal item was originally given out to winners in the Gaia Arenas, can we bring this back? it would help with the inflation of these items and make arenas more appealing to others...

This is an interesting question, I can't answer this since I am not as familiar with Gaia Arenas but I'll speak with our dev team and figure out if we can offer more enticing prizes for our Arena events.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:31 pm
November 17th, 2014:

Narumi Misuhara
Dinkaw
Features

Hello! Any possible updates for the arenas? Please consider it and dont let this feature die neutral

I think we've tried 3 times to update that system and three times something has happened to the project ...it's cursed!!!!

...what updates specifically were you thinking?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:16 pm
December 8th, 2014:

bluealaris
VVhip
Features

Will arena entry prices be raised?

entry equals a tip now, and it really would be better to be raised above 1m at the very least, if not 10m+

Yes, they will be raised- but not astronomically.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm
January 12th, 2015:

Narumi Misuhara
Ensavondel
Features/Art/Arenas

When will the arenas be updated or when will we hear anything about it?

It's been asked in almost every AtT and it has been ignored everytime. It would really ease arena goers and make up more confident in Gaia if we could hear a yes or no or any kind of answer.

There are currently no plans for major update to this system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm
January 26th, 2015:

Zero Omega
Nenanah
Items

Why were the Gold and Silver Medals removed form the Arenas as prizes?
I never understood why they were taken out.

Question is originally by ( Nenanah )

I believe this was because we had stopped supporting it, or there was a bug with the prize grants. It was very long ago though, probably around... 2004?

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm
February 2nd, 2015:

Narumi Misuhara
sup-qt
FEATURES/Housing

Please be aware that if you don't have a house in towns 1 you cannot enter the housing arena.
because housing in towns 1 is now closed, new people (or people that didnt care at the time) cannot use their towns 2 house to enter into the housing arena.

If you could change it so you only need a towns 2 house to enter the housing arena that would be AWESOME
(my mule has a really cute house I want to enter)

Sure I can pass this along to the team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:50 pm
February 9th, 2015:

Narumi Misuhara
sup-qt
Features

Other people have asked about updating the Arenas in the past but I think each time you ask for requests on how to update.
I have complied a list of ideas in this thread in Site Feedback.

I would greatly appreciate if it could be looked into. (this thread is mainly about the Art Arena, however I'm sure the updates would work in the others too)

TLDR:
Update price of entry.
New categories.
Archive old art
Give monthly prizes for each category and maybe one overall.
Advertise the Arenas through the banners (where we get LQI/sale notices)
Have banners in each arena discussion forum, linking/advertising the arena.
Be able to have different info in 'artist info' than what is listed on your profile.

If you check out the thread you can see more suggestions! Wooo!!

This is great, thanks!

Narumi Misuhara
Warrior Of The Triforce
Forums

In the Art Arena, When you try to search for things, it doesn't always work.
For Ex: When I search for a cosplay of Black Butler it says there isn't one unless I change it to Avatars, not Cosplay Avatars, just Avatars. I have been on Gaia for 7 years and the Art Arena as been all kinds of messed up. Not just with searching but with the contest part of it as well.
So what am asking is, Will you every fix all the bugs in the Art Arena?

We fix bugs as we come across them and as time permits us to do so.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:17 am
February 23rd, 2015:

bluealaris
Nenanah
Features

This is dealing with arenas. I know that it's been said that this feature is cursed because every time someone tried working on it it breaks.
I really don't think that it is in the sites best interest to abandon it or to simply kick it under the rug just because it's temperamental and a pain to do anything with. Back in my day (joined in 2004) the arenas were a huge deal because of the gold that was won from it. It had a lot of activity because of that, now the gold amount won doesn't equal the current state of the economy at all. People love this feature, there is still a huge following for the avi arena. An update or an complete rewrite of the arenas code so it's not as hard to work on would be amazing. Loads of people would love this, it might even draw people that have quit because they didn't like where the site was originally going back. Would you please consider doing this?

Question is asked by Nenanah

We are looking into some simple Arena updates, such as revised entry fees and payouts but again this is very old code and we want to make sure nothing breaks before we modify the current system.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 am
March 9th, 2015:

Narumi Misuhara
sup-qt
Features

I am all about the arenas and getting them fixed/better/used more.
As a part of this, I am wondering if we can have links to our entries in the Arena (or to the arena profile page) in the drop down under our avatars?

A link at least to a persons arena profile should be doable. Though probably not something we would update until we have some other changes we want to make to the dropdown as well.

bluealaris
Nenanah
Features

Whenever you guys do an update to the arenas. Would you please create a new arena for aquariums? We have one for houses, why cant we do the same for Aquariums? It would probably encourage more people to spend cash on their tanks which would be a huge bonus for Gaia.

Question is originally asked by Nenanah

We'll consider it, thank you for the feedback!

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 pm
March 23rd, 2015:

Narumi Misuhara
Niki-Senpai
Features

Will astras ever be supported in the avatar arenas?

Not currently planned but not a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:44 pm
June 11th, 2015:

bluealaris
Bubblehead0987654321
Features/Events?

I came back to Gaia and recently I've been toying with avatars to submit into the Arenas, and I decided to check out if the prizes have changed. I saw that the prize gold was still the same as it was years ago, and to be honest it's kind of laughable? 50,000g in this economy isn't that much of an impact to someone, and that's if you place in First. Are there any plans to renovate the prize pool in the future?

Question is originally by Sanctuarii

There are- it requires some substantial dev time which we've currently directed towards doing some site repairs, and the summer event. We're looking into fixing payout inconsistencies once these have been finished.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 pm
September 29th, 2015:

[NPC] Gaia Staff
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Features - Runway

I think it would be cool if after every round, it showed the number of votes your avatar got. And the top 5 could have the number under their avatars. Is that possible?
Maybe there could be achievements for getting a certain number of votes and voting a certain number of times as well?

This is something we can definitely consider for future implementation!

bluealaris
Rhythm_of_Silence
Events (or is it contests...)

Can we get an eta of when the runway prizes are meant to be given out? Just a bit curious as to how long the time frame would be.

They are rewarded the next day, but special rewards like the rainbow ticket need to be queried and will be given out as soon as possible.

Zero Omega
London Love9315
hello staff thanks for all the updates but i have a question.

Features
sorry if this isnt supposed to be in features im not sure where this goes, but im very curious about the arena, when adding photography is there any way we will ever be able upload them straight from our computer?

Good idea, unfortunately we probably won't be implementing this anytime in the near future as we don't actually have a system created to support this yet. Sorry!

Zero Omega
Jisen Meizuki
Feature

So that exclusive Achievements for voting 50 or more in the Runway Town Alliance and Monster Mash. When do we expect to get it?

We hope to release them within the next couple days!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:32 pm
October 6th, 2015:

[NPC] Gaia Staff
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Features
Wait, there are two runways now- one with a fee and one without? That will get confusing. Maybe just skip the entire fee thing. After all, on the internet there IS such a thing as a free lunch... and yes, that means anyone can enter and win prizes, even some off the street.. such is egalitarian Gaia!

We have no plans to remove the free version, but some contests may have entry fees but bigger and more extravagant prizes.

Quote:
Features - Runway & Avatar Arena

With the Runway being daily avatar contests, how about updating the prizes for the Avatar Arena?

Already something we have in mind and want to do!

Narumi Misuhara
Sagebomb
Features – Runway

Thanks for the update to see out vote count.

1) Is there any skew in the algorythm to favour top avis “to make sure the right top one wins” or should the top and bottom avi have received roughly the same number of views within the randomiser?

Nope, there's no skewing or anything special done to the selection. All avatars should have roughly the same number of views.

Narumi Misuhara
Sagebomb
Features – Runway

There are several reports of prizes not paying out, (or 1st place receiving the 2nd place payout (like I did)) in the runway bug forum. Should people whos prizes where paid out wrong submit a ticket, or is this being worked on?

For now sumbit a ticket with the contest you entered. The payouts are done via an automated cron that runs in the early morning. We'll check with our operations team to make sure they are being executed properly.

Zero Omega
fusaku
Features: Runway

ok serious question time though uh
so in runway a few days back i was voting in the culture contest (wanderlust or something) and i ended up seeing a nazi themed avatar
are you working on a report button or something for runway

Yup, we're working on a report button for this feature!

Narumi Misuhara
Spacebabie76
Features

Will we have a Purple day for the Runway? And maybe other colors such as pink, brown, aqua,Indigo, black,white, silver?

Purple is the default for Saturday for the free version. It hasn't come up yet though because we did special themes the past two weekends. I can't promise it will come up this weekend either but it will eventually. sweatdrop

Narumi Misuhara
Cherrieee
Features

For the Runway, will it be possible to view not just your votes after the contest, but see where you stand in the rankings?

heart

You can kind of do that now, by taking a look at where you are in the Runway Museum. We have a lot of different ideas for it and we've been executing so fast on them that we haven't even gotten to creating an actual design and layout for it. The way it is now is only meant to be temporary. sweatdrop

Narumi Misuhara
Razumi Yazura
Features

Some people have been reporting that they are getting second or third place prizes in Runway, whereas they are being featured in a different place among the three winners.

Is there any way of knowing what causes this? Is it because they might be getting the same amount of votes?

It's likely due to the entries being neck and neck and the positioning changing just before the Runway ended. The "leaderboard" (top 5) updates once an hour so the order could be up to an hour outdated when the Runway ends.

Narumi Misuhara
Sagebomb
Features – Runway

The current animal avi contest was a bit confusing, was it intended to be [animal] or just the best avis dressed as animals. The community seems to generally think it mean “paws” but many didnt. I love the idea of [animal] rounds. But if we do these could we make it clearer that its [animal] or “animal base” Also, can you give them themes if it was paws?, because although animal items are still more limited, they still have enough to do themes in their own way.

Thanks everyone ^_^

It was intentionally left broad for community interpretation, but I can certainly understand the confusion and upset. In the future we can try to be more specific though so the community doesn't end up split on what they are evaluating,

Narumi Misuhara
Bunthulhu
Features

Are y'all planning on adding that "x" button to the Runway,
so people can choose which avies they don't want to see unnecessarily an excess of times?
Or is anything else being implemented to amend that problem?
If so, whacha got cookin'?

At the moment, no, simply because that will require rethinking how the avatars are pulled. The is mostly a problem in the free version, the gold version and gcash version should naturally prevent that or at least keep the occurances much lower. ...but we'll see how it goes...

Narumi Misuhara
Copeh
Features - Runway

The algorithm you guys are using for the runway is great, thanks for changing it for us! It seems that there is a LOT of potential for ties though. How do you guys determine who wins a tie for 3rd place, assuming there is some sort of system in place?

In the event of a tie, the winner would be the earlier entry into the database, so basically whoever had entered the Runway first would win the tie.

Narumi Misuhara
huffnut
Runway

Having seen an acquantance get angry that the voting system was unfair, and saying that their avi was rarely shown, wouldn't it be smarter to have a list of all the contestants which people can vote from one to ten rather than randomly chosen votes?

There are lots of ways we could have executed pulling the avatars and each would have it's flaws. We chose the method we did because the base mechanic is "which of the two is better" So even with all the avatars being chosen randomly, a well put together avatar will still get far more votes than one who say didn't really try at all. I'm sure it could be improved even further, but for the moment it's serving it's purpose.

If we introduce things like weekly and monthly contests, the mechanic may then be adjusted a bit for those contests, but we'll see.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:46 pm
October 13th, 2015:

[NPC] Gaia Staff
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Features

Can we have whole weeks of Halloween themed contests for the end of October in Runway? Cliche or not, it could be fun

You can definitely expect an increasing amount of spooky-themed Runway contests as we draw closer to the end of October.

Quote:
Features

Can we get an option to report misplaced avatar entries for the arenas? Since we are getting one for the Runway, it only makes sense to let us report stuff in the arenas as well... I don't know how many times I've found misplaced cosplay avatars in the arena...

We’re currently exploring the ability to report avatars in Runway. However, given that the winners for Runway are community driven we more than likely will not be handling reports on users who submit avatars that don’t fit the theme as you can either not vote for them or skip them.

Rance Clear
huffnut
Acheivements

Say, would having acheivements for runway be a thing in the future? Or is that already a thing and what I'm saying is silly?

We're definitely bouncing that idea around, and we've had one Runway achievement so far, during the Launch Party. Thanks for the suggestion!

Answers, Sorted by Subject

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff