Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton's Fort of Athletes and Artists

Back to Guilds

A place made for the gathering of people from the Rejected Olympics 2012 Barton Team 

Tags: Barton, Sunriders, Nightravens, Rejected Olympics, Bartob 

Reply Memory Lane - (Retired Memorable Threads)
Soren's Heading to NYCC 2014!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

soren_alenko

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:28 pm
So, it's the eve of NYCC 2014, and I decided, what the hey, I'm going all four days, why not make a thread documenting all the days there? I'm already planing on dressing up my avi as close as I can to the cosplays I'll be wearing, so might as well spread the NYCC love.

I plan on attending the Legend of Korra panel and going to a few autographings, giving out baked goods to a few people/groups that I particularly like, cosplay, take a bunch a photos, and buy more things than I really should.

The cosplays I hope to wear are my Beacon Academy uniform (RWBY), Ethan (Pokemon), and a rushed female player character Hero (Fable III). I had only originally planned on doing the Beacon uniform and a female Team Magma grunt, but since I wasn't able to finish the second on time, I decided to pull out my Ethan cosplay (it's been very popular the two previous years I've worn it) to replace it, and since Nicolas Hoult is going to be there, I figured I'd try to get him to sign my Collector's Edition of Fable III (he's in the game), and so why not try to get a Fable III cosplay going?

So, the next four days will be picture filled, and feature copious amounts of gushing about the con, and complaining about con fatigue.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:52 pm
I am excited to see your photographs you have taken. It does sound fun.  

Sup3r_Bwahaha

Barton Witch

18,800 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Hydro

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:06 pm
Cool. Have lots of fun. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 am
That's so cool! Can't wait to see the pictures. Have fun, and enjoy it! Cons are one of the best experiences ever! emotion_hug  

Hot Caffeinated Cree
Vice Captain

Pure-hearted Senshi

soren_alenko

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 pm
Yeah, didn't post yesterday like I planned, since I couldn't stand anymore by the time I got back, and I didn't change my avi since I had to leave shortly after waking up (more on that later). Pics later as I haven't uploaded them yet.

Day 1:

The con starts off on a disappointing note. Instead of just letting people in to wait, first, you had to wait on a line outside of the Javits. That normally wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that the line was wrapped around the whole convention center. For Thursday no less! Another thing to keep in mind that the Javits takes up pretty much the whole square of the block it's on, and that these are city blocks.
However, at least while waiting on the line, I got to experience an unintentionally hilarious moment. There was this kid dressed up as the Doctor (11th I believe), no older than 7, and as he walked by he said "This line it long, shitting Jesus!" to which I promptly yelled at him "Watch your mouth, boy!". Hopefully, the kid's parent/guardian heard the whole exchange.

Anyway, eventually we get in, and as it was last year, the place is packed, even though it was supposed to be the slow day. Most of the things I had planed to do, fell through. The Escapist was once more a no-show despite having booth space, the Rooster Teeth people didn't come to their booth until the late afternoon, and there was no Q&A section or signing at the Korra panel. This particularly bugged me since I wanted to give them all home made cookies that everyone seems to love.

Two best parts of the day was when waiting to be let onto the show floor and this five or so year old girl sees these people dressed up as Elsa and Anna, and walks up to them in utter awe, hands against her mouth. She was so excited to see them, and I guess they offered to take a picture because the little girl's father (I'm guessing) came by and took a photo of them.
Second best was when the Rooster Teeth people were finally at their booth. I was dressed up in my RWBY cosplay, and the creator of the show said "Hey, nice cosplay."
I had a 'senpai noticed me!' moment there.

Day 2:

Bit worse off than the day before. While there wasn't a line going around the Javits, pretty much all the things I had hoped to do fell apart one way or another. The signing at the Dark Horse booth the LoK people were going to do, your entry was determined by raffle, and the raffle started the moment the con opened for the day. Even though I woke up early for it (which was very difficult to do due to the utter exhaustion from the day before), I still couldn't get in. Even later, I wasn't allowed to just give them their damn cookies, all because I didn't have the stupid wristband.
The other signing went no better, as the autographing NYCC advertised it as was really a panel, which at the end of, you had two minutes to bum rush the stage, try to not get trampled, get you thing to the person you want to sign it and back, and more trying to not get trampled as the featured guest buggers off to do nothing else. Naturally, I didn't get an autograph.
The other guest I wanted to see for the day, didn't even have anything they were going to say or do, they just hung around while not bothering with much of anything.
Additionally, the Rooster Teeth people weren't hanging around their booth for he most part yet again, which was weird since they had no panel or anything.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:57 pm
Day 3:

Things haven't been getting much better. Got to the con rather late since the boyfriend wanted to go with a few friends as a group, but his group was very finicky with showing up and doing things. Didn't help matters with the fact it was raining, cold, and I was wearing shorts and a thin hoodie for my cosplay.

Didn't really have anything planned for the day, so there wasn't any disappointment in that regard. Saw Billy West and gave him a thumbs up. There was also a woman that brought her dog (as far as I could tell, it wasn't a service dog), and this one woman had her itty bitty baby dressed up as Snow White, and I got a picture of them with w/ a bunch of people dressed as Disney princesses.

However, found out that the Rooster Teeth folks didn't bother to eat any of the cookies I brought them. Saw the cookies in a thing that looked to be used as a garbage can.  

soren_alenko

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
Memory Lane - (Retired Memorable Threads)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games