Velveteen Angel:
Vorona was collecting flowers – she knew that Kaneika would use them for something for medicines. It was mostly Vorona who was using the medicines anyway – her wounds were healing well but the scars were still visible on her form. They would fade, eventually, with more of the salve that Kaneika made. She sighed to herself as she moved, the limp caused by her back leg causing her to move slowly. She wasn’t too far from the pack and knew that if she called out, Aleu would arrive like the Knight in Shining armor that she was.

-
magnadearel
Ingwe'Gazini had felt lost and alone since his pack had disappeared. He had come to rely on the company of the wild dogs that had rescued him as a pup. It was hard, but not totally impossible for the young, half blind male to survive. Simply uncomfortable and lonely.

His bad eye caught a motion of a blur and he paused. To compensate for his near blindness in one eye he counted heavily on his other senses. Ingwe inhaled slowly searching for a scent that said he needed to flee. Instead it was much more welcomed scent. That of wild dog. He turned his head to find with his eye what his nose told him was there.
-
Velveteen Angel:
Vorona almost didn't notice the scent of the other wild dog until she had walked almost directly into his path. She blinked, and stepped back, wincing as her back leg twinged in protest at her sudden movement. She watched him for a moment before she spoke, hoping that he was not aggressive. She hated fighting.

"Hello," she said, her voice soft and non-threatening. Her posture was relaxed but beneath her fur her muscles were primed for flight in case he turned aggressive. She was hopeful, not stupid.
-
magnadearel
He smiled as she practically stumbled across his path. Ingwe noted with some sympathy that she had a limp which still appeared to pain her some. "Hi," he would have loved to say more, but he wasn't sure of her status.

It would be so nice to relax for one night without the fear of what was creeping up behind him. A bit of his longing for a friend creeped across his face as he watched her. She was still wary. Of course she didn't know about him.

"Have no fear. I won't hurt you. I see you've been injured too. May I ask by what?"
-
Velveteen Angel:
He seemed friendly - that was a huge bonus. She knew she shouldn't take him at his word - but if she couldn't trust him to be honest, then she would live her entire life in fear. She noticed his eye, but it didn't concern her much. Everyone had scars - some more visible than others. She winced a little at his question, but she was not one to hide her past.

"My pack and I lived in the mountains - we must have angered it, as one day a landslide struck and I was caught amongst the debree," she explained patiently, shifting on her injured leg with some carefulness. The wounds were old but the pain of the mountain's betrayal was still fresh
-
magnadearel
Ingwe was surprised to hear her talking about the mountain. He had expected a leopard or lion to have harmed her. The male sat down to hopefully put her at a bit more ease.

"I see. I'm sorry that you were hurt. Would you tell me about your pack? In truth, I'd love to find another pack. Mine broke apart some time ago, and it hasn't been easy for me."

-
Velveteen Angel:
Vorona smiled at him, happy to hear that he was interested in the pack. "We are a pack of wild dogs at the base of the mountain," she explained, motioning to the nearby bulk that rose from the sky. "It is not an easy life though," she warned gently, staring down at her paws for a moment, before glancing up. There was a look of concern in her eyes, but she was still smiling.

"We fight for what we want, find what we can and build our lives anew. The lands are not the most fertile, and the prey beasts can be sparse, but we are a tight group. We work together." She laughed lightly, a bit sheepishly. "I suppose I am not selling it particularly well." She knew it was not the cushy life of some packs, but it was her home. It was broken, but it was still good.
-
magnadearel
His ears perked forward to hear that a pack lived at the base of the mountain. This could be the answer he was looking for. He turned his head to look toward the mountain with his good eye. It looked pretty enough from here. He gave her a sad smile.

"I'm use to hardships. It'd be a mite easier in a pack for me than out. Plus I miss the company. I'd rather hear what it's like than be given flowers and rainbows." He considered her words. It did sound tough. Could he handle that? "How do you feel about..." he glanced uneasily at her scars, "handicapes?"
-
Velveteen Angel:
I would rather be honest than lie and only disappoint you," she admitted. "Though I would find life as a rogue harder, because at least I have the support of others with me." She glanced at him as he asked about the handicaps. She shook her head. "I am not one to judge," she said honestly. "I am not the most able bodied, but I believe that everyone has something to give, no matter their handicaps or issues." She was not a scavenger, she was a leader. She could plan, she could offer what she could and then she would have to rely
-
magnadearel:
He nodded approval at her statement. It was better not to lie about something like this, or it would only create resentment later. "I miss the support, though I can manage on my own." Ingwe heaved a sigh. She had been truthful with him. He wouldn't attempt to join if she didn't know about him.

"My eye was injured when I was a pup. I'm nearly blind on that side. However, I prefer to do den work, like pup guard." He watched her to see how she reacted to his information.
-
Velveteen Angel:
Vorona was not suprised that he would be able to support himself, he seemed confident though when he spoke about his injury, she felt a pang of sympathy. "I am sorry to hear that," she remarked, though she did not pity him. He seemed to have made a life for himself out of it, and that was enough. "There would be ranks in the pack that would not require you to venture far from us," she assured. "If you felt uncomfortable being out in the rogue lands, then the pack would be your lands."
"Do you mind me asking how you were injured?"
-
magnadearel:
He face fell. Ingwe was very disappointed by this new bit of information. Just when he thought he'd found a new home, those fithy animals were allowed to live there too. The old sense of wariness and fear filled him.

"Thank you for telling me. I fear your pack is not suitable to me." He regarded her carefully. She sounded like she held no grudge against the feline species. "I feel I should warn you against allowing them into the pack's territory. It might not take much for them to turn on you." He knew he was a bit biased based on his old pack's beliefs. It wasn't his place to force it upon another, though he did offer the warning.

"My name is Ingwe'Gazini. If someday you change your mind, mayhap I'll return and live here." He rose to his feet and nodded politely. It was time to take his leave. The wild dog found his original direct and corrected it to steer well clear of the mountain and started off.
-
Velveteen Angel:
"My name is Vorona and should you wish to, we will welcome you," she said to him, before he left. She couldn't help the feeling of disappointment which welled up inside her as he left. The pack could have made use of him...but it was not to be.

His warning rang in her ears though and she hesitated before making her way slowly back into the pack's territory...she wasn't sure how she felt about his warning. Was she making a mistake - another mistake - in letting strangers of non-wild dog heritage roam the pack?

She just didn't know...