Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
Cosplay Outside of Conventions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 pm
Do y'all cosplay outside of conventions? What do you do? My friends and I have cosplayed outside of conventions for a while, generally just goofing around or doing photoshoots. This summer, though, we started doing Clean-Up's in cosplay, and it has really worked out well!

Our group has organized several beach and park clean ups, and we usually remove between 10-40lbs of trash in a couple of hours. We usually have a handful of people show up (not all in cosplay). The awesome thing about it is that the cosplay really draws attention to what we are doing and promotes awareness. It's been really cool to see! We've even inspired a few mid-west and east-coast groups to organize their own clean ups! I'm really, REALLY excited about it!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 am
When I go to conventions I usually drive to them already in my cosplay outfit. You should see the looks I get when I stop to eat, go to a drug store, from other drivers, etc. I take it all in stride and act like I'm wearing any other outfit which gets me more attention. Then I will mention the con that I'm going to. I should be paid for promoting the con.

I have always liked it when cons would do fund raising for charities during their cons. Xinitia I really like your idea of doing things in cosplay and helping out by picking up trash, etc. What outifts have your worn while doing this? I think that if the outfit is from a popular anime / manga that it could bring you even more attention.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Nasky Holy Goddess

Sparkly Wolf

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:54 pm
random went to Walmart with my cousin, are con was coming up and I just finished my Kingdom Hearts cosplays so... we went to Walmart in cosplay just because XD
I find when you cosplay outside of cons it's a good way to find other Otaku and make friends  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am
smithers456
When I go to conventions I usually drive to them already in my cosplay outfit. You should see the looks I get when I stop to eat, go to a drug store, from other drivers, etc. I take it all in stride and act like I'm wearing any other outfit which gets me more attention. Then I will mention the con that I'm going to. I should be paid for promoting the con.

I have always liked it when cons would do fund raising for charities during their cons. Xinitia I really like your idea of doing things in cosplay and helping out by picking up trash, etc. What outifts have your worn while doing this? I think that if the outfit is from a popular anime / manga that it could bring you even more attention.

We've had quite a range of cosplayers show up, from superheroes to anime. Personally, I've brought out Musica from Rave Master, Gray from Fairy Tail, and Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin. I have another clean up next Friday, but I'm not sure who I'm going to bring out for that one, yet...  

xinitia

Crew

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 am
Nasky Holy Goddess
random went to Walmart with my cousin, are con was coming up and I just finished my Kingdom Hearts cosplays so... we went to Walmart in cosplay just because XD
I find when you cosplay outside of cons it's a good way to find other Otaku and make friends

I love meeting cosplay friends! I live in a big touristy area, and one of my favorite games to play is to run around the tourist area in cosplay. I get some of the strangest looks!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:20 am
xinitia
Nasky Holy Goddess

I love meeting cosplay friends! I live in a big touristy area, and one of my favorite games to play is to run around the tourist area in cosplay. I get some of the strangest looks!

Xinitia, yes I can see you going around town and getting interesting looks. Perhaps you should start a tour guide service while being in cosplay. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm
Yeah, I sure do! ^.^

I sometimes do cosplay photo shoots outside of conventions. I also go to the mall, go the Stampede, and go to my Anime & Gaming Club (especially when I need to promote it on Fun/Expo Days) in cosplay.

I sometimes go by myself in cosplay or with a group of friends.

As an admin and event organizer, I am also part of a local random cosplay group and a provincial Vocaloid group. Sometimes, my random (we haven't done a complete series together yet, thus why it's random) cosplay group does photo shoots, where any local cosplayer can join. As for my Vocaloid group, the north side has done several meetup events, but the south side hasn't yet. That's because the south side, where I live, has recently gotten myself and a friend to run meetups in the south.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:24 am
KayaLing
Yeah, I sure do! ^.^

I sometimes do cosplay photo shoots outside of conventions. I also go to the mall, go the Stampede, and go to my Anime & Gaming Club (especially when I need to promote it on Fun/Expo Days) in cosplay.

As an admin and event organizer, I am also part of a local random cosplay group and a provincial Vocaloid group. Sometimes, my random (we haven't done a complete series together yet, thus why it's random) cosplay group does photo shoots, where any local cosplayer can join. As for my Vocaloid group, the north side has done several meetup events, but the south side hasn't yet. That's because the south side, where I live, has recently gotten myself and a friend to run meetups in the south.

KayaLing, being a Cosplay Photographer I've always wanted to do a photoshoot outside of a convention. All I need is an isolated spot where I wouldn't be disturbed and of course a cosplayer or cosplay group to take photos of.

That's nice that you can casually walk around a mall in one of your outfits. Here in the Detroit area people would look at people strangely if they did that outside of a con. At the end of October I go to Youmacon in downtown Detroit. A lot of Cosplayers casually walk around town then and we get some of the most interesting looks from people. Many don't understand unfortunately. I have fun walking around and I wave sometimes at people driving by in their cars. I Love their reactions. The best spot for that is the Windsor tunnel. People coming to the United States from Canada really wonder what's going on. smile

Oh btw, what is a Stampede? I'm really curious about that and does it happen to be related to cosplay or is it a place to go.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 pm
smithers456
KayaLing
Yeah, I sure do! ^.^

KayaLing, being a Cosplay Photographer I've always wanted to do a photoshoot outside of a convention. All I need is an isolated spot where I wouldn't be disturbed and of course a cosplayer or cosplay group to take photos of.

That's nice that you can casually walk around a mall in one of your outfits. Here in the Detroit area people would look at people strangely if they did that outside of a con. At the end of October I go to Youmacon in downtown Detroit. A lot of Cosplayers casually walk around town then and we get some of the most interesting looks from people. Many don't understand unfortunately. I have fun walking around and I wave sometimes at people driving by in their cars. I Love their reactions. The best spot for that is the Windsor tunnel. People coming to the United States from Canada really wonder what's going on. smile

Oh btw, what is a Stampede? I'm really curious about that and does it happen to be related to cosplay or is it a place to go.

It's a lot of fun walking around normally in cosplay. It shakes the day up a bit, and people get excited about it. I've had tons of people stop and ask me about cosplay or nerd out about a particular series. My favorite reaction is when kids stop me, thinking that I'm the real deal. My favorite experience is when I was Danny Phantom. I had a kid follow me around for a while until I stopped to talk to her. She was starstruck, and we talked about fighting ghosts and keeping up with school work. I gave her a hug and her mom insisted getting a picture with her. As I was leaving I heard her tell her mom, "See! I told you he was real!"

If you ever get a chance, definitely give it a shot. It's also a lot of fun shooting outside of con, even if it's a small, informal shoot. It's a great way to destress!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:23 pm
smithers456
KayaLing
Yeah, I sure do! ^.^

Whether it's at a convention or not, photo shoots are so much! biggrin You could pretty much just do a cosplay photo shoot anywhere, just as long as it's not disturbing people. Lol. Whenever I travel around, I tend to notice certain places that would be perfect to do a photo shoot. I already have about ten places that I want to do photo shoots in the city. XD

Yup! It also helps if I wear a casual outfit of a character than their actual outfit (if their outfit wasn't casual already). ^.^ I would still wear character's actual outfit anyways though. Lol. It doesn't matter where you go as a cosplayer. You will always get looks or people asking you if you're going to a costume party. One time, a lady on the train asked me where I got my "purple hair" (aka my Gakupo wig) done. I had most of it tucked underneath my coat, so I could see why she would ask me that. XD

Check out this reaction:
You should have seen the look on several drivers' faces when my cosplay group placed a wig head and then a horse head by the window of my vehicle. On our way to Animethon 20, my friend put her wig head (it looks like a rainbow Homestuck demon thing by the way she colored the face of it and had her Homestuck wig on it) into the window. It totally freaked out a lady in a convertible car by us. At that time, we were in a bit of a traffic jam, so it was really noticeable. XD Then, on our way back from Animethon 20, my other friend had a white horse head on her head. We were waiting at some traffic lights and beside us was an Asian driver. My friend stuck her head out of the window just far enough for the horse head to stick out. She made the guy take a double take. He had the look of horror and shock on his face. XD She continued to look out the window like that as we drove out of the city. Some drivers double take while others gave her the thumbs up. We even stopped at a gas station. She walked into the station with the horse head on. Some people in the gas station asked us why we would be doing that. We just said it was for fun. Oh, yeah! And through all of that, I was Heartless casual Dark Navi. XD

Oh, the cosplay sharingans! XD

The Stampede is a big rodeo event (I think it's one of the biggest in North America) that happens every year. There are free pancake breakfasts, rides, games, rodeo events, guests, and so on. Even a big flood last year, didn't stop the city from having the Stampede. It flooded the Stampede grounds. They literally worked their butts off to get the Stampede ready in like 1-2 weeks after the flood. o.o Normally, it takes months to prepare for the Stampede.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

hoshiokashi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 am
I really enjoy cosplaying outside of a convention. Sometimes my group of friends will just bring a cosplay and have a sleepover; we live anywhere from an hour or three apart, so these times are rare.
I've cosplayed at malls before; I've actually almost gotten in trouble because the security guards thought we were a gang. Though I don't know how Homestuck characters look like a gang. xD  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 am
KayaLing
smithers456
KayaLing
Yeah, I sure do! ^.^

Whether it's at a convention or not, photo shoots are so much! biggrin You could pretty much just do a cosplay photo shoot anywhere, just as long as it's not disturbing people. Lol. Whenever I travel around, I tend to notice certain places that would be perfect to do a photo shoot. I already have about ten places that I want to do photo shoots in the city. XD

Yup! It also helps if I wear a casual outfit of a character than their actual outfit (if their outfit wasn't casual already). ^.^ I would still wear character's actual outfit anyways though. Lol. It doesn't matter where you go as a cosplayer. You will always get looks or people asking you if you're going to a costume party. One time, a lady on the train asked me where I got my "purple hair" (aka my Gakupo wig) done. I had most of it tucked underneath my coat, so I could see why she would ask me that. XD

Check out this reaction:
You should have seen the look on several drivers' faces when my cosplay group placed a wig head and then a horse head by the window of my vehicle. On our way to Animethon 20, my friend put her wig head (it looks like a rainbow Homestuck demon thing by the way she colored the face of it and had her Homestuck wig on it) into the window. It totally freaked out a lady in a convertible car by us. At that time, we were in a bit of a traffic jam, so it was really noticeable. XD Then, on our way back from Animethon 20, my other friend had a white horse head on her head. We were waiting at some traffic lights and beside us was an Asian driver. My friend stuck her head out of the window just far enough for the horse head to stick out. She made the guy take a double take. He had the look of horror and shock on his face. XD She continued to look out the window like that as we drove out of the city. Some drivers double take while others gave her the thumbs up. We even stopped at a gas station. She walked into the station with the horse head on. Some people in the gas station asked us why we would be doing that. We just said it was for fun. Oh, yeah! And through all of that, I was Heartless casual Dark Navi. XD

Oh, the cosplay sharingans! XD

The Stampede is a big rodeo event (I think it's one of the biggest in North America) that happens every year. There are free pancake breakfasts, rides, games, rodeo events, guests, and so on. Even a big flood last year, didn't stop the city from having the Stampede. It flooded the Stampede grounds. They literally worked their butts off to get the Stampede ready in like 1-2 weeks after the flood. o.o Normally, it takes months to prepare for the Stampede.

I love counting the odd looks I get in cosplay! It's good for people, it pulls them out of their usual routines.  

xinitia

Crew

Swibbs

Wealthy Noob

9,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm
i usually do a lot of basic school cosplays that people dont even realizing I cosplay xD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 am
I love meeting cosplay friends! I live in a big touristy area, and one of my favorite games to play is to run around the tourist area in cosplay.  

ellegonzalez

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:37 am
ellegonzalez
I love meeting cosplay friends! I live in a big touristy area, and one of my favorite games to play is to run around the tourist area in cosplay.

Hi, I'm curious, what area do you in? I live in South Eastern Michigan. Living in Michigan is a dream to me and its my home. smile I'm always exploring the historical, forest, rivers, beach, and the Great Lakes, areas. smile Ann Arbor Michigan is a beautiful area and close to home. On July 31st my Nephew and I visited U of M campus. I took over 100 photos including people playing Pokemon Go!! When I start the official Pokemon Go! thread some of the photos that I took that day will be part of the thread. Stay tuned.  
-------- Cosplayers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games