User ImageUser Image
(Backdated to festival.)

Ohi was, frankly, disappointed. The past two turns of the seasons hadn't gone exactly as he'd hoped upon joining the Ela. Admittedly, he loved his like 90% of the time; he had a great pride, a great job, a great clan, good friends... but it was that last 10% that bothered him. Really bothered him. Like amazingly way more than it should, but what? A male had needs, y'know? And more than that, Africa NEEDED his blood. He was too awesome to not have a family! Or at least, if you asked him that was the case.

To be frank many often found him grating, and a show off, but put up with him by virtue of the fact that he was, somehow, a top-notch hunter. He was a strong provider for his clan, and it was worth his personality flaws for that. And he wasn't all bad - just had his head in the clouds and his eyes on his reflection in a pool.

He'd set out for the evening to mingle with the other clans, hoping to spot a lovely lady to impress. He'd spent some time talking to others (and mostly talking himself up at that) before opting for a little break. He was reclined now beside the watering hole many had bunched around, and grinned as another male, with fur as pale and his own mane, came to get a drink.

"Hey there fella. You with..." he looked the older male over, considering his seemingly restrained and sedate attitude. Just a riot at parties, huh? "...Earth clan?" He eventually hazarded a guess. At first the white lion seemed not to even realize he was the one being spoken to. Then when he did, he simply blinked owlishly at the tan fellow, gathering his thoughts.

"Ah. No. Mantis, actually," He eventually offered. "And you, friend?"

"Shadow!" Ohi puffed his chest, proud as pudding over himself and his clan. It WAS the best clan, of course.

"I...see." Okay, so maybe not everyone was as keen as Ohi to realize what being in Shadow meant. Well. That was. He'd almost forgotten, if he did find a mate in another clan he'd have to LEAVE Shadow. That had been a bit of a sticking point for a while, and he still held out hope of meting his one true love within his own people...but patience was one of his weakest points of all, and so he forged ahead.

"So, uh, Mantis Clan guy--"

"Feidhlim."

"Feidhlim - that's a mouthful, innit? - I've been looking around and I was thinking, there's really not too many eligible ladies in Shadow. The one down side of things, you know? And, well, I trust you, right Mant-"

"Feidhlim."

"Right Feidhlim, that's what I said, and I do trust you Feid, and I was wondering, do you know any single Mantisy ladies?"

The white lion just blinked at him, clearly dumbfounded. After a long beat, which Ohi bore in content silence, he finally stammered out, "I-I'm married." That seemed to surprise the Shadow Clan, and he forged ahead. "I don't really take notice of who's, ah, single. Not any more." He'd never been one for gossip either. Shani was all he needed, and as long as the clan was happy that's all he cared about.

Ohi sort of half-sighed, slapping a paw at the dirt as if to say 'shoot!' "You don't know ANYONE? Your wife, she doesn't have a sister?" He asked, clearly bummed out. Again the white lion just stared balefully at him. Was this guy for real? He knew some lions who suddenly one day were determined to have cubs - something about a biological drive, or season, or time, or something - and that he could understand. This guy seemed like he felt the same, but about...marriage. Odd. It didn't seem like a good way to start a relationship, but then Feidhlim wasn't one to judge.

He might not offer too much helpful information, but he wasn't going to judge.

"No," He said simply. "She doesn't, not here at least. We joined from another pride a year ago, and they didn't come with us." Shani'd mentioned a sister before, he thought. They'd never met.

"Man, what a bummer. I guess I could just keep trying. Hey! Hey, Feid, we're pals, right?"

Another deadpan stare. A bead of water dripped off the white lion's chin. Ohi didn't seem bothered and just forged ahead. If nothing else he was a determined, persevering fellow. Feid'd give him that. "So I tell you what. If you happen to over hear any Mantis ladies talking about being ready to settle down, you let me know? Maybe if we talked and got along...eh!"

Well it was a relief the tan male wasn't going to just jump into a marriage. He'd seemed like the type that ended up in a 'surprise' marriage, and would become some sort of cautionary tale to youngsters if you asked Feid. Wait, he'd said he'd not judge, right? Oops. Still, it was all he could do to nod. Maybe if he said yes the fellow'd leave him alone.

In return the tan lion grinned like he'd just been told he'd won free meals for the rest of the year. He leapt up - goodness he was LARGE too,wasn't he? - and slapped a paw at Feid's shoulder, nearly bowling over the more sedate male. "I knew I could count on you, Feid! Always there to help a guy out. Like I said, I'm with shadow - you hear anything, just tell any shadow you need to talk to Ohi, they'll know who I am."

Oh, Feid could imagine they sure would know. A personality like that...it was impossible not to take note of. The pale lion bobbed his head (he really just wanted to get out of there by then) and ducked away. Apparently his rude dismissal came across better than expected though - from behind him he could hear Ohi calling after him. Something about 'that's my Feid! The ladies won't know what hit 'em with a winglion like you!'

Goodness. He really hoped word of that never got back to...well, anyone. And he certainly wouldn't be looking out for ladies for him ANY time soon!

(Words: 1051)