Mindra's enthusiasm was infectious, Baridi was beginning to realize. The leopard smiled at the question and she leaned in a bit closer, as if it were a secret. Even though it wasn't...she had just gotten through saying how her whole pride had known.

"I've always been rather drawn to male lions," she said softly, to which Mindra's ears rose in surprise. "I think it's their manes. There's nothing better than being able to curl up against once. It's so warm and soft...that," she said, lifting her head and returning to her normal speaking voice. "And in my pride, there is a game that is played by everyone, but it favors those that are hybrids. The cross-breeding gives them a natural advantage over non-hybrids. They can have, for example, the strength of a lion mixed with the speed of a cheetah. The cheeton isn't as strong as a lion or as fast as a cheetah, but is stronger than a cheetah and faster than a lion."

"Oooh...I think I see," Mindra said, although her thoughts were elsewhere. As soon as Baridi had mentioned male lions, her thoughts had turned a bit towards Aslan. She had met the male when he had joined the Pridelands and he had been very charming. He had found her just the other day and had certainly charmed her again, even going so far as to flirt. Her face heated up at the memory and a rather dopey smile crossed her lips, one that Baridi had seen on young females of all types. A knowing chuckle left her lips and she shifted to lay down rather than to sit.

"All right, Miss Mindra...let's hear about him."

"W-what? Oh, no! There's no 'him'. I mean there is a 'him' but I don't...ahhhh..." Mindra fell to the ground, rolling around as she groaned. "He's so charming! And he calls me pretty and sweet and smart and no one calls me smart, and he's a joining rouge and has this air of confidence and mystery around him and he's so. Sweet." She flopped onto her stomach and stared at Baridi intently. "I have not met a sweeter lion. He picked a flower and put it behind my ear! Who does that?"

Baridi had to laugh as Mindra went on and on. 'There's no him' her foot. She could tell just but looking at a female if she were completely infatuated with someone, and here she had proved her talent. Mindra was absolutely taken with this male. "That's very sweet," she agreed, watching Mindra with a smile as the lioness continued to flail around. "It sounds as though he's rather interested in you, saying all those nice things."

Mindra covered her head with her paws as Baridi spoke, a low groan leaving her lips. "He can't be! He's too nice. No one nice is ever interested i me like that. I'm too much of a spaz. A space cadet. A...a cub!" She had been told countless times by others that she needed to grow up a bit if she ever wanted to get a good mate, but here was Aslan praising her for being perfect just as she was. It was all very confusing, if she had to admit it.

Baridi could see the strained expression on Mindra's face and, after a moment, reached out a paw to rest on the female's. "Now, now, let's not get all worked up about it," she said gently. "He obviously likes you quite a bit for the way that you are. That's a good thing, my dear. Now you know all those who told you otherwise were wrong, and it sounds as if you'd be very happy with this mysterious male by your side."

"Yeah," Mindra sniffled softly. "Yeah, I would. Really happy. He's...ugh. He's great. Aslan is his name, by the way," she added a bit shyly. Baridi chuckled once more, nodding at the name. A very strong, traditional-sounded name. Perhaps he had come from a pride of tradition and history. Why he left was a mystery to the leopard, but she knew it didn't concern her. Should she happen across a charming gentle lion named Aslan, she'd be sure to keep her paws off. The male was obviously taken.

"Chin up, dear," she said softly, tapping Mindra's chin to emphasize her point. "There's nothing to be sad or worked up about. He's a keeper! And you're very lucky to have snagged him, so don't let him get away. Keep being you and you'll pull through."

Mindra sniffled once more before letting a smile shine through as she lifted her head from the ground. "Thanks, Baridi. You're a great talker!"

"Well, I am a mother of six," the leopardess said with a chuckle, making Mindra say 'ahhhh' in understanding. Both females stood after that, a smile on both of their faces. "Well, I should probably move on. I don't want to hold you back from going to be with your male friend."

"Stop that," Mindra said shyly. "He...um. Actually he asked to see me today so. I should probably go, too. It was very nice to meet you, Baridi, and if I'm ever in the Kwa Kikombe I'll ask for you! And if you come back here ask for me, too!"

"I'll do just that," Baridi said with a nod, moving in to give the larger female a friendly head bump. "Take care! Make sure you keep that Aslan happy."

"I will," Mindra promised before dashing off through the tall grass once again in search of the male. She'd give him his answer now...that talk was really what she needed. Her heart was racing as she ran, eyes wide and smile huge. She was going to have a mate!

Baridi watched her go before turning her paws back towards the Kikombe. Mindra's reaction had told her all she needed to know: sometimes what you were looking for was right under your nose. "I do hope Taji isn't busy when I return," she murmured to herself as she set off, stomach flipping with delight.

FIN
WC: 1021