It was an interesting area of the rouge lands he'd wandered to, that much was for sure. Mez hadn't been here before, and he wasn't sure he liked it. There was nothing but sand, sand, and more sand. Did anyone even live this far out? He doubted it...he could see a tree here and there off in the distance, but they looked to be rather pathetic looking things that offered little to no shade and probably survived on one raindrop for ten years. Puh...not his kind of place. But still, he had a job to do, and that job was to warn others to stay away from his own pride. He'd just putter around in the sand for a while and then be on his merry way. It certainly was warm...ugh.

He was about to call it quits early when some motion caught his eye. He lifted his head, staring off into the blazing distance, and felt his large, puffy tail give a little wave. There was someone over there! He decided to go over to see if they were willing to tell him anything about this place. The leopon strutted off, perfectly content, unaware that he was walking on very dangerous ground.

Thankfully, the lioness he was approaching was anything but violent. Soleil was looking for a rare plant that grew at the edge of the desert, and so far she had only found two specimen. She couldn't go back until she had five, at least! They were vital to the healing balm that she was coming up with. It was a shame they grew so far out...not even Kasoro came this way to guard the lands. It was so remote they never had had issues with rouge breaching the border of the Firekin. Which was why she was horribly startled and surprised when something small and blue came wandering over to her. She stared openly at the...thing for a few moments, trying to take in what she was seeing. Half a mane. Huge teeth. Fluffy tail, but no tuft on the end. What was this thing, apart from not being in her pride?

"Hello," Mez said cheerfully. He was used to being gawked at, and took it in stride. "I'm Mez, I was wondering if you could tell me if there's any other creatures out this far? I can only assume the answer is no...I mean, look at it! Sand! And more sand, in case you didn't get enough the first time." He laughed softly, but the sound died in his throat as he realized the female was still staring at him. His smile remained but his tail stopped moving back and forth as he realized that she wasn't moving, either. "Uh...you okay miss?"

The direct question shook Sol from her frozen state, and she moved a bit closer to the small creature, wary of what he might do to her. But as his demeanor didn't change - did he really not know about the Firekin? - she began to realize that he wasn't a threat. Whatever he was.

"Yes, I'm fine...I just...excuse me, but what are you?"

The question made Mez chuckle softly. There were those that had never seen a leopon before, let alone one that looked like he did, but it also made a little red flag to up in his mind. Hybrids were something of a hot topic to some creatures, and to some prides as well. If she'd never seen one before she was either a very sheltered rouge or in one of those prides that probably didn't think too highly of his kind.

"I'm a hybrid, miss. Leopard and lion parents."

As Mez spoke, Sol gave a soft 'ah' of understanding. That would explain the mane and the tail, then...

"Well...to answer your question, there is a pride in theses dunes. And you're actually in our territory," she said seriously, although not unkindly. "The Firekin...perhaps you've heard of us?"

As the pride was named Mez's ears dropped and he looked around. Thankfully there were no other lions. Phew...

"Ah...you'll have to forgive me, miss, I didn't realize I was trespassing," he said with a little bow of his head. "I don't mean any disrespect...I'm just on a mission from my own pride, to spread the word that travel to the south is not recommended to other lions. There's a disease, you see, that lives within the lions of my pride. We don't wish for it to spread to those that are unwilling to accept the burden it offers."

Sol listened politely to the leopon and she nodded slightly. "I'll take the message to heart. We're not really the type of lions to leave our lands, though," she said, spotting another of the plants she was looking for. She paused in her conversation to dig it up and tuck it into her pack before continuing. "Still. I thank you for your warning. But I really must suggest that you go. This isn't a safe place for those that aren't lions...or aren't of the proper color."

Mez swallowed thickly and nodded. "Right...I assume I'm not the right color, either," he said with a weak laugh. "All right. Thank you for your warning. Have a wonderful day, miss. I hope you find those plants!" He turned after that and beat a hasty retreat back in the direction he had come. That was enough desert for him!

Sol watched him go, her head tilted to the side slightly. What an odd creature...but observant. He had picked up on her looking for those plants. Taking it as a sign from some weird god that probably didn't exist, Sol continued on her hunt for the plants. So now she could say she'd seen a leopon...a blue on at that. With massive teeth! Had he been larger...and red...and a lion...he would have made a very formidable Firekin. She managed to find the five plants she needed and them some and returned home with a satchel full of her required plant.

FIN
WC: 1022