Olaf liked being in the rogue lands. Not because he felt at home there or because he thought it was a better place than his pride, but because it meant he was going to have an adventure. He liked to go on vikings with a captain and a crew, but there was also something to be said about striking out on his own in hopes of bringing something good back to his home. There was no reason to believe that he needed to be in a group to do something awesome. Maybe he would find something amazing- like a whole pride full of treasure that they could take down and claim as their own. Full of thralls and food- things they needed and wanted.

It would be amazing, but he was usually lucky if he ended up meeting someone at all. The lands around the pride were much bigger than he would have imagined, and it seemed like he was always somewhere new no matter how many times he ventured out there.

Somewhere new, and somewhere, alone.

He found himself a small watering hole. Since it seemed like he had traveled for a while, he decided to take a drink and rest there for a moment. So far, he hadn't found anything amazing, but he was still holding out hope that this time would be different from his other adventures. Sighing faintly, he bent down, drinking the water from the hole while sitting himself down. At least the weather was nice.

He was only there about five minutes before something strange started to happen. There was a rumbling sound in the distance, slowly but surely getting closer. Then, the pebbles around his paws started to shake around. Frowning, Olaf looked over his shoulder, arching an eyebrow. For a moment, there was nothing. Just the long, endless roguelands he had been combing for adventure. But it seemed as though adventure had ended up finding him, not the other way around. Before he knew it, he was starting at a herd of wildebeest rushing his way. With a gasp, Olaf got to his paws, ready to sprint off and fine somewhere higher up to hide himself so he wasn't trampled under hundreds of hooves. Just as he started to move, he heard something calling out through the clatter of stampeding beasts.

"Help! Help me!" Yelped the voice. Olaf looked into the crowd of enraged animals, spotting a white coat of fur just ahead of them. It was a lion? What the heck was a lion trying to do with wildebeest all on his own?! Sighing, Olaf decided it was best to help the idiot, if only because his conscience would nag at him if he didn't.

So he sprang over to the white lion, which felt incredibly stupid since he was heading for the herd and not away from them, and let out a yell.

"HEY. Get your over this way! There's some hills we can climb up on not too far ahead, just make sure you stay ahead of them!" He took off at that, heading in the direction of the higher ground he had seen earlier. Thankfully, the herd was heading the way he had just come, so he knew what was waiting for them. Otherwise, he'd probably had ended up running blind like the lion he was trying to save. All that would have accomplished was the increased likelihood of a squashed lion or two.

"Thank you!" Yelped the white lion, chasing after Olaf. The two managed to keep ahead of the wildebeest long enough to make it to the rocks, where the climbed up and moved over onto the grass to get away from the wild fools. With their minds in such a panic, jumping was beyond them at the moment, and they just kept barreling forward, giving the two lions the escape they had been hoping for.

Panting, Olaf looked over at the white lion, who had flopped on the ground with a heaving chest.

"Thank you..." breathed the lion, "thank you for helping me! I don't... know where... I would have been...if you hadn't told me where to go..."

Olaf straightened himself up, sitting down and letting his tail wrap around his legs. "Didn't do much," he commented with a shrug, "what were you doing getting chased by those things, anyway?"

"I don't know!" The white lion sighed, "I was just minding my own business and I must have wandered into their home. The next thing I knew, they were chasing me! It feels like I've been running for miles. And there was so many of them, too!"

"You were pretty lucky, guy. I think you could have been killed pretty quick, you know?"

The white male shuddered at the thought.

"Well, then I really owe you one, then. My name's Kavu. I hope I didn't get you hurt or lost or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to make things up to you?" He asked lightly, never one to enjoy a debt. But Olaf shrugged his shoulders, looking up at the sky thoughtfully.

"Nah, I still say I didn't do anything. Nothing owed for it, friend. And my name's Olaf. It's... kind of crazy to meet ya, but nice, I guess." He chuckled faintly, looking back at the other lion again. Kavu smiled brightly. He still felt like he owed the other, but if Olaf didn't want the debt repaid, there wasn't a lot he could do about things, now was there?

"Well, thanks anyway... I guess I shouldn't keep you too long. I have a lot of ground to cover to get back to where I was... I hope my friends don't worry about me too much."

"Sure you'll be fine," Olaf assured him, "and if you need help again, maybe we'll meet up just at the right time and I can be mostly useless again, right?"

Kavu chuckled. "Right."

The two lions parted company at that, and Olaf made his way back to his home. He hadn't managed to get anything amazing, but he certainly had another story under his belt. Kavu left wondering about Olaf, and what kind of lion he was. After all, Kavu was a rogue. He knew most other rogues wouldn't have helped him out, so he wondered what pride Olaf must have come from.

It was all very interesting to him, but he was very tired. All he wanted to do was find a place to rest and pass out for a while.

A sentiment both lions shared as they departed from one another's company.

wc: 1100