User ImageUser Image Vodnitvar dosed for a while as the sun moved across the sky. He really didn't have any plans for the rest of the day, other than to wait for Fireheart to get home. She was out doing her queenly duties. He let out a slow breath and flicked and ear, shooing away the bug that had landed on it. This was nice, he thought to himself. Raising his cubs had been an experience, that was for sure, but five cubs...that had been quite a lot. Now they were grown and might even start families of their own soon. The thought of being a grandpa was mildly terrifying, but he knew if he could be a father and an honorary uncle, he could certainly be a grandfather.

The sun slowly moved behind the trees and soon twilight settled over the pride. A familiar scent made him lift his head, and like a shadow Fireheart appeared out of the trees. She moved nearly silently to the den out of habit and, when she saw her mate, she leaned down to touch her nose to his. "Good evening," she murmured softly, to which Voddy gave a happy growl. They remained close for a few moments before Fireheart continued into the cave to flop down on the soft sand, exhausted from the day.

Voddy stood and moved further into the cave to lay beside his mate, thankful for the sun warming the inside during the day. It was cozy even though it was large. He rested his head on his paws, watching Fireheart as she rested her eyes for a few moments. "Busy day?" he murmured, blue bangs falling in his eyes. His mate opened her eyes just a bit to mock-glare at him.

"What do you think?" she asked. "Every day is busy. Now with this whole Dreamer mess coming to fruitation and the Mummers Ball nearly upon us it's a wonder I can keep my head on its shoulders."

Vodnitvar had to laugh softly at that, and he reached out to rest his paw over Fireheart's. "My dear, if your head did fall off its shoulders, I would make sure to put it back on," he said reassuringly. "That's what I'm here for. To make sure you don't go crazy."

"And I thank you for it," she said earnestly before giving a soft sigh and resting her head on Voddy's paw. The two fell silent for a short time, letting the only sound pass between them come from the trees outside, full of birds and monkeys and other creatures calling out their goodnights to their families. Seafoam eyes looked around the empty den, resting from time to time on the little corners her children had called their beds when they still shared a cave with them. Now they were all moved out in their own caves and she rarely saw them any more. A little huff left her before she spoke up again.

"I don't want an empty den anymore."

Vodnitvar, who had dozed off again, flicked his ears and opened his eyes. "Mm?" he asked, looking around. "It's not empty. We're in it." The glare he got from Fireheart made him wince just a bit. "...what do you mean, empty den?"

"Cubs," Fireheart said plainly. "I want more cubs. It's not right to have a den this big and not have cubs to fill it with. That," she added, looking at her mate who was looking a bit pale, even with his blue fur to cover his face, "And I need an heir. Our daughers this time around weren't...they weren't queen material. One too harsh, the other too soft," she murmured. "The pride needs someone who can see both sides to this inevitable argument that's brewing."

Shaking his head to clear his surprise at the blunt statement, Voddy had to admit Fireheart was right. Their current daughters were perfect the way they were, but that didn't mean either of them were perfect for the title of queen.

"Riddle Mouth just had his litter, too," Fireheart murmured. "Then at least the rulers would be closer in age...that always helps unify them." She looked at her mate with a serious expression. "We need to have more cubs, Vodnitvar," she said softly. "Even if we thought one litter was enough...I'm sorry. I know it was a handful last time. But look at how well they turned ou-"

"Please, my dear...don't apologize," he murmured softly, leaning in to nuzzle his cheek against hers. "I would love to bring a few more mouths to feed into the world. Train them up, teach them how to be proper lords and ladies. The first five haven't broken ranks yet...I'm sure we can do it again.

"And," he added, sly look on his face, "It's been a while since we've had a night for just us. Perhaps we'll have to take an outing to the rouge lands soon to...enjoy the stars." Fireheart rolled her eyes and pushed his leering muzzle away with a paw. "Oh stop that. Trying to be all suave with your euphemisms. Yes, once things are settled here in a few days we can go to the rouge lands to 'enjoy the stars'."

Voddy had to laugh as Fireheart rebuffed his flirtatious come-on, and he leaned in to bump his nose to hers. "Very well, my dear. You were never one for being seduced, were you?"

"You were never one to seriously try," Fireheart returned, tucking her head under his chin. She let out a content sigh and smiled just a bit. "I have missed the little pitter patter of paws on the cave floor, though. I'm glad we spoke. It is something that needs to be done, but even if I had picked an heir the first time...I'd want to do it again."

Vodnitvar nodded slightly, closing his eyes. "Me, too. It was a struggle, but what in life isn't? You need to struggle for the good things." He got a sleepy 'mm' in return and fell silent after that, more than happy to let the conversation die there. There would be more to speak about in the morning.

FIN
WC 1032