Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina

Back to Guilds

Welcome to Deus Ex Machina, a humble training facility located on a remote island. 

Reply THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities
[PRP] In the Blood (Nora/Gale) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 pm
The training grounds was a welcome sight, if a bit...emptier than expected. She figured a place like Deus, at least with the level of technology she had seen before, would have access to something a little more than...dummies. Probably to encourage more interpersonal encounters. Or they were being cheap. Nora wanted to visit their gym, but Beatrix was adamant about being outside.

I've been asleep too long, screecheart. Let's stretch our legs a bit! Nora could practically see her partner's puppyish exuberance manifest in a gamboling critter, the energy seeming to vibrate through her whole body like a small current.

"Alright, alright. Suppose we could jog around, see the extent of the place."

Yesyesyesgood. You can think to talk to me, you know.

"What, and deprive others of seeing me act like a nutter?" Nora chuckled. "Wouldn't be a full day for me." Talking to herself had been part of her habit long before the black dog had come along anyway, and she was still getting a hold on this whole...thinking...conversation...thing...Which mostly was why she looked like she was talking to the dummy. "Alright, ready for walkies?"

Yesyesyes, time to walk my human like a good dog!

With a roll of her eyes, she turned to start her patrol.

kuroopu
dumb intros are dumb /o/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm
He'd only agreed to training that morning because Jinhai had insisted.

<< You haven't trained in days. >>

I was just there yesterday.

<< Yes. Sitting on the ground. Reading a book. >>

Yes, but I was still at the field.

<< You'll get flabby. >>

Shush.

Gale made his way across the path that led out of the town where his little yellow house resided and back towards the main compound of Deus, his hands tucked into the pockets of his gray sweatpants. He was wearing a plain white teeshirt over them, and a few wristbands were looped around his right arm to hide a certain mark beneath them.

Are you happy now? he thought to Jinhai, as the training field came into view, one or two people scattered across it. Gale gave a small nod to a few trainees and continued on his way, a little hum escaping his throat.

<< Deliriously. >> came the dry reply, and Gale smirked, turning sideways to head down one of the smaller fields. A tall young woman was coming his direction at the same time, and he gave her a vague, distracted smile as he walked past her.

Then he stopped, his smile freezing on his face. Mouth slightly agape, Gale turned slowly around, his eyes wide.

"...Nora?"

Ol-j-man
shush u it's fine <3

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:24 pm
She was beginning to get into a jogging groove when she heard her name called. Old instincts were hard to break--for a moment she thought she was back at the precinct, getting heralded by someone who wanted to get drinks later in eve (assuming she was old enough, as older co-workers would add jokingly). The problem was that the voice was a lot younger, however, and with a blink Nora remembered where she was again. Or rather, where she wasn't.

She slowed a few feet past the kid and turned around. "Yes, what d'you need?" she asked as she adjusted her scarf so that it would not trail, eyeing him from head to toe and coming back up at the red-tinted hair with a slight frown. "Very lax paramilitary base they got here, eh? Your superior know you got a bleedin' mop head?"

Something was niggling her at the back of her head, but for the life of her she couldn't pick it up. Beatrix investigated with a probing nose.

kuroopu
<3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:44 pm
At first he'd thought he was mistaken. It had been several years, after all, at least three since he'd been on Deus, and almost four since he'd last seen her, which meant that he was only thirteen or fourteen when he'd last set eyes on her. But when she turned around, and he saw the familiar face with the familiar sprinkling of freckles across her cheeks, and he knew it was her, in spite of the time lapse.

Gale was still staring.

"You're Nora, aren't you? It's me, it's...Gale."

A pause.

"Your cousin."

ol-j-man

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:17 pm
Nora stared right back.

Stared.

Stared.

Then it all clicked--not simply Gale's identity, but the fact that he was alive, that his and Leslie's supposed deaths were the same as her own, that by proxy Leslie might even be there as well to tidy things up, and then the slightly horrific idea that they had both been there for a good three years at least, not accounting for whatever amount of time had been spent seeing shadows. All Nora could think of was child soldiers, and it left a sour taste in her mouth about her new employers.

But enough about that. There was family on the island, and that was something to celebrate when she was sure she had left them all behind.

"Ah. That Gale. Oy, you didn't think to write?" she joked, breaking into a grin and downplaying her various revelations as she stepped forward and clasped Gale's shoulder, perhaps a bit too rough and belying her relief behind the casual manner. A hug might have been more appropriate, but . . . hugs. "Too busy being a hero all these years, eh? I suppose I could think of worse excuses for faking your death. Where's Leslie, aren't you two still joined at the hip?"

kuroopu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm
Gale stood stock still in front of Nora and waited patiently for her to figure everything out, for her to sort through what was inevitably a great deal of information to comprehend. They had never really been close as children; the age difference between them had always prevented a lingering attachment, but he'd thought well of her, at least, and they always could commiserate together on various things, like the auntie that drank too much at family gatherings, or whether Uncle Ralph really did have a mustache that big.

Eventually, however, her silence gave away to actual recognition, and some of the tension in Gale's shoulders relaxed (even with her clasping it in greeting). He didn't return Nora's bright grin, but he did offer her up a small smile, shifting his feet a little.

"Been a little busy to write, sorry," he told her truthfully, not that he would have written anyway, but that was beside the point. "And hero is somewhat of a generous term."

The question about Leslie, however, succeeded in wiping the smile off of Gale's face. His expression turned to a closed off one, lips pressed together in a thin line, his voice muted as he said, "She's...not here. I mean, she is, but..."

He trailed off, shaking his head.

Ol-j-man

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 pm
The more she heard about Deus, the less pristine the deal she had agreed to quickly became. At least soldiers got the benefit of fighting for their country, whatever political differences there were about it . . .

Now you know this isn't an alternate dimension flash forward future post apocalyptic thingiemadoo! Beatrix offered helpfully. Also he's cute. I like the red. Red's a good color. He's a good person. LET'S TAKE WALKIES WITH HIM, NORRIE, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE.

"Blimey, they never mentioned nattering headmates in that contract," Nora muttered with a wince. It was clear, however, that she was reading Gale's reaction in a very different light, as she responded with a sly look. "What, she too busy with another bloke to come say hello to her favorite cous'?"

kuroopu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:46 pm
<< Tell her. >>

I can't.

<< Tell her. >>

As encouraging as it sounded hearing a familiar accent from home, a familiar voice, Gale's expression was still as closed off, his face a mask to conceal the terrible ache left behind.

"...she's dead," he said quietly. "At least, she's as dead as she'll be here. She's in a pod, but she won't wake up."

Ol-j-man

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm
Her smile flickered like candlelight before being swept away. Seemed the ability to stick one's foot into one's mouth was a shared trait in the family.

"Ah."

What could she say to that? Nora hadn't been terribly close to the twins before, but they were family--easier to handle than some of the rest of them. It was an awkward moment of sadness and an inability to properly vent it, but she kept her hand on Gale's shoulder as a show of solidarity. ". . . Sorry, mate," Nora said in a lower tone, sympathetic. "That's rough."

Give him headpets, those help.

Nora took a breath. "How's about a cuppa?" she suggested, sliding her hand off. Tea eased everything last she checked. "Sounds like I've got a lot of catching up to do."

kuroopu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 pm
He forced a smile. "It's fine," he said, easily brushing away the emotions because it was easier that way, easier to focus on things if he didn't dwell too much over the loss of his sister. "It's something I've known for a while; I've gotten used to it by now."

Her suggestion of tea was a good one, and Gale gave a small nod in agreement. "Would you prefer cafeteria?" he asked her, "Or we could go back to my house, either way."

Ol-j-man

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm
"House?" Nora repeated, blinking. "I really have missed a lot the past couple of years, eh? Let's crash there for now, the cafeteria is . . . probably a bit too noisy."

That had never bothered her, personally, not after being on the force. They did need to chat in private, however, and she'd rather avoid accidentally airing out more dirty laundry within earshot of strangers.

She gestured for Gale to lead the way. "Any other fam I should know about here?"

kuroopu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm
His smile was a little less forced this time. "Yes, I have a house," Gale said, gesturing for Nora to follow him as he turned and began making his way down the training field towards the town path. "It's one of the perks of being a full hunter; I get to choose where I live, and I chose a house."

He led her across the path towards the little yellow house in the distance, hands tucked into the pockets of his pants. Nora's last question made him nearly stop, however, but he shook his head. He shrugged his shoulders noncommittally, though two dots of pink had appeared on Gale's cheeks, and then said, as casually as possible,

"Not in the genetic sense, no."

Ol-j-man

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm
She made a musing hum as they walked. "Now that, I wouldn't mind. Might ask to squat at your place sometime. They've got me bunkered down in the basement, and whoever lived there last had peculiar tastes."

Beatrix's observations about the creative uses of torture chambers and manacles did not make stomaching it easier.

Nora glanced and saw the slight blush, pressing her advantage. "What, are you the one who got a bloke, then?" she teased.

kuroopu
quick one before night class whee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm
Gale passed Nora a vaguely exasperated look. "The basement is an interesting place, I'll give you that. Apparently the influx of new trainees meant less dormitory space on the regular floor, which meant most everyone new has to move to the basement."

He gave a shrug, feeling vaguely satisfied as he added, "Thankfully I don't have to worry about that."

They had almost reached his house now, which was visible just a few yards away. Gale gestured for Nora to follow him down the street towards it. His cheeks were still flushed as he said delicately, "No, I don't have a bloke, I have a girlfriend."

They were at his house; Gale stepped up the stairs and reached for his keys.

"This way."

Ol-j-man
quq

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 pm
"Rub it in more, could you?" Nora snorted as she nudged him. "S'not so bad. Something tells me I'll be getting my fair share of blood and abject horror anyway. Torture chamber bit's just a cherry on top of the welcome party sundae," she added with dry optimism.

That's the spirit! barked Beatrix, missing the point.

They came upon the yellow little house, and she eyed it a little enviously; it was bigger than her old apartment, and she gave a low whistle of appreciation as she followed Gale. "So! You going to tell me a bit about her, or am I going to have to play twenty questions?" Nora asked pleasantly.

kuroopu

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces