Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
TV show about fake lesbians?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your impression of "Faking It"?
Positive.
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Neutral
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Negative
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Not sure yet.
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm
So I stumbled across this article about a new show that's going to be on MTV.

From the article: "MTV’s new high school series Faking It revolves around Amy (Rita Volk) and Karma (Katie Stevens), two unpopular best friends who are mistakenly identified as a lesbian couple by golden gay boy Shane (Michael Willett), but quickly come to embrace the label when it transforms them into their school’s most popular girls."

"But while working The Trevor Project’s crisis hotline, where he’s a counselor, Covington [one of the showrunners] had an experience that he felt elevated the show’s potential. “I had a caller one night who said, ‘I’m worried that my friends are only my friends because I’m gay,’” Covington said. “I was shocked. That idea seemed so foreign to me given the world I grew up in, but this kid explained that he went to a very tolerant high school where being gay was like a badge of honor. That’s when I realized there are schools out there where being gay is no longer a problem, and tolerance is viewed as an asset. It made me think Faking It could work if we set it a high school like that and had one of the girls actually have a crush on her best friend.”"

I'm very curious to see how you all feel about the show and the concept behind it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm
It depends entirely on how the show is handled, written, and produced.  

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm
LithiumXwolf
                this.it could either be very good or very bad.

let's not have it be a glee rehashing, please.
                x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 pm
While I of course am always skeptical of an MTV production, because let's face it, they're not always so pristine, I can say that this show has the POTENTIAL to speak out on a significant issue for LGBT youth.

I will say this, the MTV show "Awkward" did a portrayal of a socially distraught young girl who attempted suicide and frankly I wasn't/am not a fan of that show or how they discussed that particular issue.

Personally, I don't find fictional television shows about important societal issues all that great from either an entertainment or educational standpoint.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:48 pm
LithiumXwolf

Really, I agree with this statement. It could be an absolute travesty that trivializes years of struggle for equality or it could be a clever social commentary on the status of gays in today's more progressive highschools. Given that it's a show on MTV, I can't imagine that I'd be watching it, as I have no cable, but also given that it's MTV, I imagine it will fall well between the two extremes, have a season or two, and be forgotten. Isn't that usually the way of things, there?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 am
What I'm wondering is, is it going to be met with the same reaction as that Good Luck Charlie episode on Disney channel. Granted this is for Mtv and not for a children's channel but, I don't think it'd really stop people from being ignorant about it. I personally don't watch Mtv all that often but, if they right the show well enough and depict a "stereotypical" view on everything then I'm sure it'll be just fine. Even if it is met with the criticism of people that believe homosexuality is wrong. That's just my thoughts on it. smile  

Brooy

Omnipresent Cultist

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:41 pm
I think it looks kind of interesting.
We see this trope where two male friends or one male friend and one female friend are mistaken for a couple all the time (Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, Sherlock, Friends, Mighty Boosh, Scrubs, Phil of the Future, Jungle Book, Ice Age, etc.) but not really shows where two female friends are mistaken for a couple. So I think it's neat in that respect.
It was kind of a good idea to get a gay guy to make it because he might be more sensitive to some issues than anyone else.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games