User ImageUser Image

It had been a week or longer since Keshi had left Dvija, and while he was not by her side, he lingered in her thoughts. They had spoken at lengths about the regrets that Dvija harbored, the life mistakes he'd made, the things he wished he could change, and the family he would never know. His mood seemed to lighten with each confession he made to the young Goddess, and Keshi listened to him with an open heart.

It had taken her some deep thinking, but she'd finally decided to make her way to the seashore very near where she'd found Dvija. It did not take her long to find a lioness that looked very much like the large lion she'd left behind, and for a few hours, Keshi watched the vividly colored lioness with great interest.

Jhiqui was restless. In truth, she'd never felt more restless in her life. It was difficult to find something to occupy her time; not because there was nothing to do, but because she yearned for something more. A great wanderlust had taken up residence in her chest, and it ate at her daily. She dared not make her way to the shores for fear that she might never turn back. It was not that she was not happy. She loved her sisters, loved her mother - it was only that there seemed to be so much more out there, so much to see, so many strangers to meet.

So she sat near the water, paws crossed and chin resting delicately upon it. Her eyes were intent on the distant sea, and Jhiqui allowed her mind to wander far, to places unknown. She did not realize she was being watched.

After quite some time, Keshi made her approach. It was shocking, really, how much the lioness looked like her father. Retreating back into her mortal form, glass-like wings tucked safely away, Keshi eyed the female with a slight smile on her face. It was not until she settled herself next to the vividly colored lioness that Jhiqui noticed she was no longer alone.

A furrow creased her brow as Jhiqui eyed the stranger. She did not recognize this lioness, but then again she had not been paying much attention to those in her pride as of late. Perhaps this was a newcomer, Jhiqui did not know.

"Hello," Keshi trilled softly, a rather large smile on her face. Her tail moved animatedly. "I am Uchekeshi. Keshi. You are?"

"Jhiqui," she answered immediately, though a wary expression crept along her features.

"Jhiqui. That's really very pretty. What's your mother's name?"

"Katerina." Her answers were clipped and curt; it felt a little odd that a stranger should ask such intimate questions, and Jhiqui's entire posture grew a little defensive. "Why do you ask?"

Keshi giggled softly.

"I know your father."

Jhiqui snorted, the sound harsh. "You know my father? You are not from these lands, then?"

"I am not. And yes, I know your father. Do you?"

Jhiqui's silence was all the answer that Keshi needed.

"Ahh."

"How do you know my father?"

"I have my ways. Would you like to know of him?"

Jhiqui's mouth opened, then closed.

"You favor him, you know. You look so much like your father that it hurts me to look at you. I grew very fond of him. He is like my own father to me, if I'm going to be honest."

Jhiqui couldn't help but feel a little suspicious. How could this stranger know her father, and then slip to their prideland without being caught? It didn't make any sense, and Jhiqui narrowed her eyes.

"Why should I believe you?"

Keshi merely smiled, and shrugged.

"I have no reason to lie to you, little one. Your father has a great emptiness in his heart. He did, rather. He's healed, these past weeks, and I hope he will go on to live a long and happy life. He only needed a little humor to restore his vigor."

Keshi then took her true form, the beautiful silken wings unfurling across her back, gossamer and diaphanous. She got the surprised gasp she'd been expecting, and Jhiqui's eyes welled with tears. Keshi hoped them to be happy tears. Sometimes it was difficult to tell with mortals.

"Goddess!"

"Of humor, yes. Your father called to me without realizing it. I spent quite some time with him. I got to know him. We spoke of regret, love lost, family. He loves you dearly. He loves all of you dearly, to be honest. He greatly regrets giving you up, but hopes that you find yourself happy in your home."

"I... am not happy, but my family is here and so I will stay."

Keshi made a soft sound of dismay, though she did not press the issue. It was not her place to convince Jhiqui to leave. It was a choice that the younger lioness would have to make on her own.

"Family is important," Keshi conceded, grinning broadly - almost as if she could not help herself. It was her nature to be happy, to smile, to laugh. "You must do what your heart tells you, little one. I only wanted you to know that your father is happy, and that he loves you. All of you." Keshi paused. "Even your mother, his Tempest. She had consumed his thoughts, and now she has a piece of his heart - no longer does she rule his mind and his heart, but a piece of her remains."

Jhiqui nodded. It made sense to her.

"I wish I had known him," she whispered softly, a sadness edging into her words.

"In time you will, of that I have little doubt," Keshi chuckled, the sound warm and happy. "There is a star, bright and blue in the sky. That is his star. When you look upon it, think of your father, and know that he is happy and his love for his children fills him."

Jhiqui smiled, her eyes damp. Perhaps someday she would find her father, or he would find her. Someday. Then again, perhaps not; perhaps she would find her own happiness.

The goddess and the mermaid spoke well into the night; Keshi pointing out where Dvija's star was, and Jhiqui giggling softly at the name it had been given. When they parted ways, the mermaid felt more effervescent than she had in ages. Filled with hope, happiness, and humor.

WC: 1073