User ImageUser Image

When Ban’ma looked up at the sky the only thing she saw were stars the color of sand. It was as if she were back at home with her cubs, looking at the sand beneath the watering hole and splashing about. Sometimes it had made her terribly sad to think about, but now…Now she could cherish those memories for the fleeting things they were, and hope that she could make them once again.

The healing lioness stretched her legs from underneath her, and having left her accessories behind with Asha and the others she walked across the night land. Things were so much clearer now; the burning in her chest was lessened now that the sun wasn’t bearing down on her, and she felt as if she could breathe a little easier. The wound inflicted from the wildebeest, that nasty hole through her chest and shoulder, was vastly better, but her spirit wavered. Some nights she was pleasant, and others she wanted nothing to do with anyone else. Ban’ma had never been alone in her life, and now it crippled her.

Though just as contemplative Runa was less solitary in the company of others. Now that her sister was with her she felt stronger in the rogue lands, and as she fought with a growing need to be with Meshach that had absolutely NOTHING to do with her duties, she felt her paws walking further away from them. She needed distance between herself, and the male. At least enough so that she could clear her head.

And such distance took her directly into the path of an alluring striped lioness. She was beautiful, in the delicate way, but the way she limped with that sad sap look spoke volumes. This was no fresh dove. “You so sure it’s safe to be walking around on your own like this?”

Startled, Ban’ma turned to meet the other lioness, and felt herself tense. This was a larger rogue, an experienced youth with muscle on her. Still, if she was going to be attacked, better to face the enemy head on in her condition. So, instead of leaving, she smiled, and chuckled, “Well, no, but I don’t think it’s much safer for you than it is me, is it? Two gals hitting the road in the middle of night brings about a lot more attention anyway, don’t you think?”

“I suppose you’re right, but then again, I’m not the type to listen well to others. Or reason.” That showed just by the fact she was in the rogue lands to begin with. She was much more at ease within the inner workings of a pride as opposed to hanging on its fringes. “Where are you trying to get off to this late at night anyway? Walking around with that limp of yours is just going to get you into more trouble than your worth.”

Ban’ma felt her breath hitch within her chest. Maybe it was more trouble than she was worth, and she hadn’t realized until now that Asha and the others may be worried about her. She should return to them soon. “I couldn’t sleep, so I thought it might be easier if I gave my paws something to do. I’ve been getting to much rest lately thanks to this,” she motioned to the scar on her breast, “and sometimes sleeping at night is harder than it used to be.” Moving to sit, she looked to the other, “and what of you?”

“Sounds like you could get a little more rest, then. That looks pretty nasty.” She could see the puffy red skin, inflamed, but closed, which looked like a blessing considering the state of the lioness. “But I get what you mean. Just take it easy, though, and head back after this chat, or I’ll walk you back myself.” Runa wasn’t about to have some lioness she’d just met on her conscious now, worrying her and all. “Me? Trying to figure out life, I guess. “ She wasn’t about to give out more information than that, lest she compromise their position. For all she knew this could be a spy from Shangyue. “Tell me, if there was a male you had…fondness for, would you let his position stand in the way from you saying something?”

Ban’ma smiled softly and turned her head to the stars. “In that grand scheme of things we’re all just stars, really. Some shine a little brighter than others, some are a little closer, but we’re all the same. If you love him, and he loves you, that love will carry you through. Life may be harder because of the circumstances dealt to you by birth, but trust me when I say this.” Turning her gaze back to the younger female, she gained a harsher light. “Don’t let happiness get away from you. Fight for it until your dying breath.”

Runa nodded her head gravely. These were wise words to consider, from a lioness who obviously had lived through so much in her young life. She couldn’t have been in the peak of her prime, and yet she spoke like an old crone…What had she been through? “Thank you. I don’t plan on letting it get away from me this time; even if he doesn’t want me, I’ll be by his side to protect him, and do the best I can.” Looking over her shoulder, Runa heard the rustle of others, and knowing it to be her group, she turned back to Ban’ma. “Go back now, and get some rest. You shouldn’t be walking about willy nilly like this.” Bowing her head, the larger lioness turned to leave.

Giving into a little light hearted chuckle, Ban’ma shook her head and watched the other lioness depart. “I will, I will, don’t you worry! I’m going back now. Thank you, and good travels to you!” She wished she still possessed that sort of vigor and careless abandon, but it had left with her mate. Now she was only able to smile vaguely as she limped back to track down Asha. Maybe they would have a remedy for dreams.

(WC: 101 cool