User Image

The fumble of his paws would alert any passerby of the leopard’s haste. He was a bit older now, a bit less agile, but his senses remained keen and ever vigilant. He was in a rush, and for good reason.

Thundering paws across the terrain closest to his hovel made not only the ground quiver in their wake, but the black feline as well. The trinkets he had gathered, the food he stored, and whatever else he had taken to hoarding were all forced beneath a pile of sand and rock, newly arranged. While he knew better then to assume them completely safe from the prying eyes of strangers, the male had convinced himself that it helped. After all, it had worked every time before then. Only a strong curiosity, and ample time to spare, would bring others in for a closer look.

Ladislav, who traced the impression of feline footsteps cautiously to the crumbling site, a hole in a dirt mound that smelled of leopard amongst other things, had lost the prey he hunted just moments before the great find. It had only been a short time after he met with the lioness Rhoma, the first encounter with rogues of this new territory, and already he had become mighty familiar with seeking out and meeting others. The arrangement, or at the very least a portion of it, had become something of an addiction, and while he had never experienced such a... forward advance as was hers, she reminded him of the home of old. A once outstandingly proud king was used to subjects to dote upon him, and for him to dote upon in return. Company was a thing he lacked immensely at present, and so he hungered for it.

A hunger which led him to the den.

“Hello?” His voice was loud enough to reach the occupants within, if there resided any, but lacked a certain firmness that most would associate with authority. His inquiry did not require a reply, but welcomed one instead. Following this, in a manner he had adopted long ago in his days of ruling, the male bowed his head in greeting before lifting it higher then it had been before.

Kiziah made anxiety look like an art form. His breaths were sharp, short, and yet were low enough to be mistaken as a breeze. He had found the perfect place to hide, just steps away from the mound he had created and remained as still as the stone that hid him. Being a smaller feline allowed for such antics, and with the perfect vantage point of the entrance, his goods, and the male which encroached upon it all—Kiziah watched, desperate for the ordeal to be over with.

No reply. Ladislav gave the greeting another go, “Hello? Is there anyone there?” stepping closer. “I won’t hurt you.” And still, stepping in closer. Ladislav did so until he could see through the fallen foliage and into the darkness beyond it.
User Image
Before that, Kiziah had been paying close attention to the mannerisms of the male at his gates. For what it was worth, the leopard felt less threatened by the voice of the stranger. However, the appearance evoked an entirely different response. So large, so furry... so very intimidating! Kiziah knew that most males could over power him with ease. Most males of any species. Hell, even smaller females could do the job similarly well! And he rarely made it known that he was present in the moment they came wandering, be it showing his face or saying a word! But close had become too close with this red and black lion!

There was a certain kindness in the others tone, and this gave him a bit of courage. Enough to spit out, “Go away!”

Ladislav tensed while his senses went wild in search for the source. It was not the welcome he expected, and being a male of consideration he froze in place. “I saw your tracks in the mud. Some were smeared over but most remained. Are you trying to hide from someone? Do you need help?”

What a fool! What a fool! Kiziah cursed, claws raking at the soil while his hunkering deepened behind his boulder shield. Of course the tracks remained! As he went about hiding one, another was made. What a fool he was. And even more frustrating still, the lion could not put two and two together without guidance! Yes, he was hiding from someone! Him!

“Go away! Go away!” He hissed again, hoping the simplistic request would be understood better if said twice. "There's nothing for you here!"

“I beg to differ.” Ladislav challenged playfully. “I am looking for a guide, and a friend.”

Kiziah was not amused. And furthermore, he would have nothing to do with a lions endeavors, however true they might be. “No guide. No friends. Go away!" He rustled a few rocks together, their clicks reverberating off the walls. "I have poisons and I will use them!” Truthfully he had none, but recounted a time hearing of them somewhere along his travels. What they were, what they did, he couldn’t say for sure… but he knew that it got a rile out of some, and hoped it would get a rile out of this one.

And it most certainly did.

“I do not wish you any harm, stranger! I am a nomad, friendly by all accounts of the word. My offer stands honestly!” The lion replied, a hesitant chuckle masking his sudden surprise. Poison he was familiar with, and wanted nothing a part of. He would admit to any who asked that, despite a small portion of him expecting this reaction, he felt extremely uneasy with his inability to convince the other of his truths. Where had his charm gone?

...Perhaps it was time to come to terms with the differences of this land and his of old. Those who roamed homeless where he derived were more then willing to offer a hand of help. Those of his homeland were kind, considerate, and less worried of what might come of them then what might come of others. Then again, those of his homeland were treated well, and knew well of his kingdom and rule.

...Perhaps it was time to stop being so naive.

He remained poised at the entrance a few seconds longer, squinting hard to see through the debris within. Was he being too quick to judge? Too hasty to dismiss? He thought to give his offer another go, when,

“Go away before I poison you! It would not be my first! I will do it! I’ll do it! Go on!”

And his mind was made up. He stepped backward several paces, facing the den completely until his paws began to sink in the same mud which led him there. Only then did he turn, looking briefly over a shoulder to speak before loping off.

"I understand, I will leave you now."

Only after hours had passed, and the stillness of the area had become constant enough to ease his worries did Kiziah emerge. Racing to his goods, the leopard threw his front limbs around the mound and dragged it across the dusty floor to press against his chest and cheek. Through a low purr, the strange whispers could be heard.

"My precious-esss."

(1220 w/c)