User ImageUser Image

The morning was cool and crisp in the small valley. Dew beaded the grass and the leaves of the trees, making the world seem paler, a crystallized version of itself tucked away from the world until the heat of the rising sun peeked over the hills to warm it away. A dense mist lingered in the dell, shielding the families that rested there from sight. Somewhere a bird called, breaking the silence of the world, and a patch of white shifted. The male lion was nearly invisible against the pre-dawn foggy backdrop as he shook himself awake and flicked a few dewdrops from his whiskers.

He nosed his mate who remained sleeping before slipping off to drink from a nearby pool. He was a diligent lion, and he bathed in the water after drinking to clean his fur. The bird called again and he looked up, trying to spot it.

Within the past few days his clan had rested and spent more time sharing stories and tales from past wanderers the pride had met. One tale came to mind then, of some lions who tamed birds, became their friends, and traveled with them. He remembered once hearing a story about his own people too. Ghostly lions in the mist that hid in plain sight. And of course stories about the desert dwellers to the northwest, that were always to be avoided.

The bird cried again and he shook out his silver-white fur, scattering water around him. Perhaps a little jog before the pride rose for another busy and productive day? That seemed ideal. He returned to the den long enough to whisper a few sweet words to his still-dozing mate before slipping out once more and heading briskly to the south. They were near the edge of the pride as it was, but he didn't plan to go far. He leapt up onto a stone and then down the other side, weaving between two stunted trees with ease.

It was so quiet, so peaceful, he nearly trod directly onto the paw of a dozing lioness tucked in the crook of a third tree's roots! She let out a somewhat alarmed gasp, tucking the limb back out of his reach, and cowered as if...as if he was something frightening! The idea was so foreign that he stopped dead, backing up a swift step and ducking his head in a wordless apology. She was no one familiar - pale purple with some white, and no noticeable feathers or tattoos. A rogue? Here? It was well within their lands...though perhaps not more than a day or two's walk. And with the prides constantly migrating...well, after a thought she didn't seem quite as much a trespasser as before.

"Are you...lost?" His voice was barely above a whisper, but in the muted emptiness of the foggy early morning it carried well enough that she could hear it. There was no threat in his tone, just genuine interest and concern. And he did not miss the slight lessening of how her ears were folded and the shifting of light within her eyes. Probably, then.

"...Yes. I'm sorry..." The sad little female crept to her feet, shaking off a slight speckling of dew. "I know I'm trespassing...but some rogues said this place was peaceful, and I didn't think anyone was nearby. I just hoped to find a place to rest before I kept looking. I..." She swallowed, glancing at her paws and then back up at the older male. "I got lost from my pride. My name is Chekelea." Her eyes were downcast but hopeful. She thought she might have seen some of the far distant mountains when they were traveling...but it was hard to tell. They were at a different angle now. How'd she come so far?

The male hmmed to himself and bobbed again at her introduction. "You are, but do not worry, Chekelea. Our pride is still at rest, and from time to time we do host travelers. I am Feidhlim. And what is the pride you're looking for?" It wasn't usual to get lost from one's pride. How did you lose a place? He'd worry the female was simple minded, but she seemed bright enough, if her politeness was any sign. He'd met a few prides before coming to the Ela'Wadiyi...he didn't remember them too well now, but maybe he could help.

"Well...I think it was more western than here, but I'm not sure. A lot of us were traveling, to someplace new. There was a lot of water, and trees. Not many people bothered us, but then the weather changed..." She did her best to explain. She'd been split up so soon after they'd left her old home that she had no idea where they'd gone. It was only hope that this place was anywhere near where they'd gone. "I think we were looking for a new place. Somewhere probably low down? Our old pride was down low, in a valley, sort of." The swamp had been in a natural bowl-like valley- that was why the water had gathered there for so long.

The male for his part seemed pensive. The first thought that came to mind of course was the Jini-Msemi...but they had been going to the mountains, not some place low down. Probably not them then. As for other prides on the move? Well he knew of a few that had been near areas with lots of water before...but he didn't think they'd moved. Still, it was better than nothing. "I'm not certain I know what you mean...but I do know of a pride that lives together with the water. More water than I've seen since my wandering days. To the south and east of here, a half moon's walk." Perhaps the sea-shore prides would be what she was after.

Chekelea for her par would never know how close she'd come to finding her way home. Instinctive wariness of strangers, and having been apart from the pride when they'd stayed a time with the Ela'Wadiyi themselves, she kept her pride's name to herself. Still, a vague idea of a pride that liked the water to the south was better than no idea at all. Suddenly keen to be off, she muttered a few hasty if genuine thanks and crept away into the fog. The pale lion noted that she was heading south, away from the pride. In a day or two she would be across their borders. He did hope she found her pride!

Once she was out of sight he turned about, heading back towards the dens a few horizons over. He hadn't gone too far on his walk, but at least he'd have a new story to tell.

[Words: 1130]