Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP]Looking At Life Through A Loaded Gun[ Maeryn/Gen/Seres] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:30 pm
User Image
He'd wandered farther than he'd intended, searching, perhaps, for some sign ... some trace of the monster he knew he couldn't face alone but sought nonetheless.

Black nostrils flared when he picked up the scent of decay, his green eyes flashing as his head snaked to the left to snap irritably at a fly. He waited, muscles tense, as he took in the smell.

Nearby. Old. Small. He backed up cautiously and turned, testing the air again.

There!

Branches cracked against the force of his passing, but otherwise he was remarkably quiet for a beast his size. He'd learned a long time ago to make good use of his naturally dark coloring and blend into the shadows of the forest, and this time was no different as he followed the taint in the air to it's source. It'd been a rabbit once, his eyes told him once he reached the scene of the creature's passing. There was no sign of violence, just an old creature whose bones would soon be picked clean by scavengers. Closing his eyes briefly, Gen wished the rabbit's soul to the Great Spirits with a simple spoken word ... and turned back the way he'd come.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm
User Image

"What do you seek?" a mellow, calm voice asked as the stallion left the site of the rabbit's death. A large, black shape separated itself from the shadows of the forest, resolving into the form of the Elder, Maeryn. "For you seem intent upon something." That much the mare could tell. She had seen and participated in hunts often enough to know the signs of one. He was... tense. She could see that in his carriage, and though he moved quietly, her old ears were well tuned to such sounds.

She spread her wings slightly, allowing them to drink in what little sunlight filtered down from the canopy above. This one... this stallion, was of mixed blood. Unicorn and Kalona, by the looks of it. The mare could feel nothing but pity for the child that had been; to be of a mixed breed meant sharing only partially in the heritage of each parent, and powers that were muddied by decisions not one's own. No, there was no disdain from Maeryn now, simply... curiosity. What did he want? Why did he travel here of all places? And why so seemingly urgently?

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm
Her sudden appearance took him unawares, a fatal mistake under most circumstances. Why she hadn't used that opening against him was unknown, particularly as she was .... quite clearly... a full-blooded kalona. Gen didn't need stories to know how dangerous a kalona was, he had enough monster blood of his own coursing through his veins to know what a pureblood was capable of.

If he'd been tense before, the locking down of his expression and the quick halt and mantled wings were doubly so.

But she hadn't attacked, merely spoke. He took the opportunity for another step back, wings still half spread as space allowed, his eyes focused on her.

"Not your concern." He replied, his usually abrupt tone thick and gravely with disuse. "Go back." The warning came with a flaring of his wings and flash of teeth.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm

She'd frightened him, that much was clear. He displayed his alarm in the mantling of his wings. Calmly, Maeryn closed her own onto her back, and raised her head slightly in order to better watch the unikalona. "Is that so? Perhaps I might be of assistance." If he did not wish her to remain, there was no reason for her to do so... and yet... something about his behavior told her that she must remain. Perhaps it was a prompting from Kalona. Perhaps it was simply her maternal instinct. "I am not going to hurt you." Certainly, she had not come to hurt him, though if he chose to attack her, he would learn his lesson.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 pm
It was not often Gen showed his age, as he'd always been a sober youngster, but the arrogant tilt to his head and the subtle swell to his chest were clear markers of a stallion still in his youth. His body may be fully grown, but he'd spent far too much time alone to have learned the finer points of polite conversation.

Sirian had only taught him to control his beastly temper, after all, not play nice with others.

"Unlikely." Came the short retort to both of her statements, though he had to admit he would not recklessly charge this strange mare despite her age. She had a presence about her that reminded him (oddly enough) of Flame, and as that thought flashed through his mind, so to did the realization that she was the same. An Elder, then. A kalona Elder? The thought was puzzling, as in the world according to Gen, kalona were dark and malignant creatures ... fell beasts only dwarfed by the greater threat of skinwalkers. Kalona could not be Elders, yet here one stood.

The oddity required more thought and investigation, which could start with ... answering her first question.

"Hunt Skinwalker." He amended after a long silence, wings gradually smoothing down.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Maeryn's heart clenched painfully at the young stallion's words. Not the first... but the mission that he claimed to be on. "Alone?" Her own mate had defended their herd from a Skinwalker at the cost of his own life. It had been too late for him, but it was not too late for this youngster. "Not alone. What does it look like? Do you know where it ranges?" For yes, Maeryn did not ascribe the dignity of gender to such vile beings. Her own wings itched, the need to mantle protectively over this child of a stallion strong. However experienced he might be, to take on a Skinwalker alone... was to seek death. "Does your mother know what you are after?" she asked. Many young unikalona had no parents still living, but she thought she could detect another scent upon this stallion. If she was mistaken, she was mistaken, but to save a life, she would take that chance.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:35 pm
He flinches, visibly and shamefully, at the reminder of home .... of his mother who would certainly not be pleased to learn he was ranging this far from home in search of the creature that had taken Tai from them and forced them from their old home.

The memory is an old one, he'd been but a colt when Seethe had come for their herd and hunted them across the continent. Just a colt, but he would never forget that scent of the monster nor the terror of seeing his mother return with broken wings and a bloody white coat from her own fight with the beast. He'd been new, a foundling, but it was because of Seethe that he'd been so hard for everyone else to accept. A monster, they'd called him, with fear in their eyes and remembered pain from the skinwalker attacks. Shaking his head slightly, he frees himself from memory and responds.

"Alone. Better that way. No casualties for stupidity." He replies, drawing himself to his full height. "She does not know. Would stop me. It will kill her if I do not kill it, hunts us still." Then, a note of pride in his voice, as he had been responsible for driving Seethe off twice (with help.) "Wounded it. Will finish it. Old beast, prefers to prey on young and the weak, I am neither." His voice is scornful, though not of Maeryn's question, just of the habits of the skinwalker Seethe. "Cream stripes, takes form of wolf. Old like you."

Tellingly, he did not appear to realize that last part was probably rude.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm

"Then it is a crafty beast," Maeryn said, turning his words over in her mind. "Old, prone to attacking the helpless... it is too clever to be allowed to live." And cowardly. Very well did Maeryn remember the goal of the Skinwalker that her Rot had died driving off. "I doubt that you are as prepared to take this Skinwalker alone as you think, child. I remember very well, when they first arrived. How they cut through the ranks, and destroyed without notice or care. However experienced, however strong you may be, they are endowed with monstrous strength unlike anything in the world. Which surely you know." For his mother had faced this thing before. Well, she would not leave this stallion nor his mother to be hunted by a Skinwalker. That was unconscionable, even if he was not pure.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm
"He will die." Gen agreed, eyes and teeth flashing again. "I will kill him." It was odd, this feeling. This mare, this ... kalona... it was almost as if being near one of the purebloods was kindling the fire of the monster blood in him.

That could not be allowed.

"I am not child. Have faced Seethe before, lived when others have not. This vengeance is mine." He went on, tone considerably more measured as he controlled his rising temper. "You will die, Elder. This beast takes pleasure in the dying screams of foals and old ones. Sets traps and waits, like a spider. Consumes when fear is greatest, Seethe revels in torment." Tone now cool, there was a tinge of concern lacing through his speech as he interpreted her words as if she were inviting herself along.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm

"You are no older than my youngest children," the mare said reflectively, listening to the stallion's voice, and taking note of the shift. Maeryn had heard that some unikalona could be a bit unbalanced, but having had so few occasions to encounter one, she had never truly verified it for herself. "I am not feeble or weak. I am not troubled by the pains of age." In all truth, becoming an Elder had almost made her young again. It had filled her with the strength that she had had in her youth, but had not removed the wisdom hard won through the years. "Tell me... what makes you any different from these others that it has killed?"

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm
Finally, what wisdom experience has granted him shows itself ... and he falls silent before blurting aloud why he doesn't just believe he can face a skinwalker and live, but has. This mare, name unknown and unwanted, is still a potential threat to him ... for all that she has been conversing with him in a manner not unlike his own mother lecturing him.

"I am alive still, that is the difference." He says quietly, but firmly. Deep down, he knows he should not hunt Seethe alone ... but he doesn't trust anyone else to be his backup. Well, except for his mother, but as strong as she is, Gen is all too aware of her shortcomings. Wind soquili, while fast and airborne, were heartbreakingly susceptible to mortal wounds once their wings were taken from them.

"Seethe will know what it is to be hunted, Elder." He goes on, subconsciously straightening and flaring his wings again.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:19 pm

There was determination in the stallion's voice. She had heard that determination in her eldest son's voice, when he had spoken of bringing down his sire's killer. Rot had had the strength to return to his family one last time. If this young stallion were mortally wounded, would he be able to do it? Maeryn turned her attention inward, listening for the Raven Mocker's call. "You are alive, that is true. But I would not have you leave your family with no word, and perhaps fall prey to this Skinwalker." The hatred that she felt for Skinwalkers was undeniable; the families that had been shattered by their ravening presence were a multitude. "It should know what it is to be hunted, as all Skinwalkers should. And it should know death."

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:31 pm
She wasn't going to stop him? He studies her, weighing her words along with the threat she posed and...

No...

Instantly his teeth are bared and he rears back, forelegs striking out threateningly before tearing into the ground. "You would know their names to hunt them yourself? Do you take me for a fool, monster?" Earlier suspicion becomes anger and a clear display meant to warn her off. She must think him an idiot, to give a pureblooded kalona his last word to pass on to his family in case he should fall. She was no better than Seethe and all his tricks!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Maeryn did not move, even as the stallion reared and snarled. "What business would I have in hunting your family?" she asked him, frankly unconcerned by the threat. "No, I would have you notify them through some means. I did not say that I desired to seek them out." She flicked her tail, snorted with some amusement. "Truly, what must you think of your own kind, if you would name me monster?" Oh yes, he was a part of their kindred, whether he wished it or not. "Your family would not be nearly so tasty as a nice, fat rabbit, or perhaps a quail. I'm afraid it would go quite against the grain to hunt them, or to make sport of the helpless."

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Celeanor
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:46 pm
"They are not helpless. I am not your kind." He snapped, teeth clicking audibly across the distance between them before lapsing into deep growl.

He continued to snarl at her for a long moment, the sound hardly that of a soquili at all when combined with his long canine teeth. He clearly did not believe her for a second, and his wings continued to mantle.

"Just because you did not say, does not mean you would not do. Rabbit and quail are small, you spoke of children ... surely they or their children may be hungry and require more." His head came down, ears flattened. "I say nothing. Do nothing. You cannot track them."  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff