User Image User Image

The two brother kirin lions had washed them selves clean of the horrors in the dry lands. Bastion had seen with his own eyes what had happened and just what kind of person the ruler of those lands had been. He'd been a dark and awful lion with no love in his heart except for power. The ruler had driven his pride in to damnation and every pridemember died.

But they did not have to die. The story of their existence would now for ever be marked as on not to be repeated. They were sad examples of the evils of power that would perpetuate through song as long as their memory would live and Bastion hated that. It made the task at paw all that much more difficult. How was he supposed to know who was worth to be bowed to.

There were many good lions out there that he'd met and good prides but there had also been oppressive forces that these brave lions had to fight. Ehn. Bastion would have liked to bow to Ehn but for what ever reason the green maned lion was not the one to call to him. What ever the reason was, Ehn was not the one despite having Bastions respect. Still, Ehn was a good lion and Bastion would be out to find him another time.

Time passed and Bastion searched on. The kirin lion did so with little regards to his own health and well being. Namely, Bastion did not hunt. And on a mere mortal, though a seer, it took its toll.

Bastion collapsed on the trail. He had no memory of being moved or any faces.

For a weeks time a proud golden lion took him in and tended to Bastion's needs. The golden lion even force fed the celestial looking lion on some occasions. Such kindness Bastion did not remember since his mother. Bastion took the week to rest up.

One evening the golden stranger sat at the foot of the cave with his back to Bastion. It was storming pretty hard from what Bastion could tell. Thunderous sounds engulfed the back drop and light sprayed across the mouth of the cave silhouetting the kirin lions savior. The golden lion did not move.

Bastion sat up, then slowly stretched, and wandered over by this lions side to take a seat.

"Why would waste your time on a stranger like my self?" Bastion wasn't sure why he asked. His blue eyes stayed focus on the storm before him instead of this golden lion by his side.

"Why wouldn't I?" The golden lion turned his head to Bastions direction. His expression was soft and meek. "Some times this world needs more kindness."

This was met with a sigh from Bastion. It wasn't so much that he disagreed as much as the kirin lion still had his doubts. His head lowered.

"You seem like the worlds done you a great wrong friend." The golden lion gave a smile. "I'm Zerrin and its nice to finally see you up."

Bastion rolled his eyes. Zerrin. It meant made of gold which implied greed to the kirin lion. He'd seen enough damage done by greed and the lion didn't care to involve him self with any more.

"The world just needs less greed." Bastion didn't offer his name. He wasn't sure what to make of this lion. Jaded, that was how Bastion felt right now. "Actually. I have something important to attend to. I probably should be on my way. soon."

The storm crackled out side and a giant lightening bolt struck pretty close to the foot of the cave. Neither male flinched. Zerrin chuckled though.

"Are you sure you want to be leaving right now? The weathers not exactly..." A roar of thunder rolled over and echoed through the cave making Zerrin's point more clear. Zerrin gave the kirin lion a concerned look. "What kind of business is so important that you'd brave this weather just to see it through? Surely you can wait til the storm has passed. Not that I don't admire your dedication."

The corners of Bastions maw flexed as he made a hrmph sound.

"You seem like a nice lion but my business is my own. I don't care to talk about it."

"Well it's nice to hear you can talk. For a week you were completely out of it. I am just glad to see I got to you in time." Zerrin sighed. He'd hoped that the lion would have wanted to stay a while. It was always nice to have company. "I'm nomadic my self. Don't really get to spend a lot of time with others. It is refreshing to have company once in a while on my travels. Actually I was sent on a quest of my own when I was just a teen. Supposed to find my name but what I found was that I liked Zerrin just fine." The lion yawned.

"I don't care. " Bastion put it bluntly. " I have something I should be doing."

"Oh." Zerrin's ears fell. Not even time to chat. "Well let me wrap up some favors for you. You looked half starved when I found you. I figure its best if you take a care package?"

"Fine. Thanks." Bastion was mad but not at this lion. He'd wasted time long enough being out of commission. It had thinned his nerves. Lucky Zerrin wasn't the type to take to much offense to a lion with a bad mood.

Zerrin was busying him self with packing up a meal for the celestial lion. There was plenty of meat left over from a kill he'd done the day before and some of it would last a good while. Hopefully the stranger would remember to feed him self after the supplies were gone.

Bastion watched the golden lion prepare his food. And after he'd been so unkind. The kirin lion had been a complete d**k and judged him so readily based on a name. This lion had taken care of him and he repayed the kindness with coldness.

"Let me help." Bastion got up and hurried over to Zerrins side. In the midst of this he felt something inside glow and his eyes clouded with light. When his vision came too, he was bowing.

"H-how is this possible." The kirin lion was in disbelief.

Zerrin tilted his head. "Why are you bowing? Or did you trip. Are you alright?" The golden lion hurried over to Bastions side to make sure he was okay.

"I'm.. I'm fine. But you're who I've been looking for. You are the king." Bastion stayed bowed.

"... Well I know I'm charming but what are you on about? King? Me?" Zerrin was flattered but confused.

"My name is Bast'ion. I was sent on a mission to find the one true ruler of a kingdom. You are him. My mission has been completed." Finally, Bast'ion rose up. "You must come with me."

For what ever reason Zerrin believed this lion. He didn't understand it but he believed this lion fully.

word count: 1180