Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm
User Image

Mtima was pacing in the snow, for once well out of view of the gate that Death guarded. She had learned more about the past life she had so recently left behind and though there were still gaps in her memory of it, she was getting more curious about the mortals. She had gone a few times but she still favored the haven, still was afraid of staying too long.

But this was a boring place to stay too long.. unless you were good at finding company, and a lot of the residents around here could be pretty intimidating so that wasn't the case for the goddess of Souls. She kept busy enough but right now she was thinking about leaving the haven.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:27 pm
LENGIDÖKK

His day, his night, had come and gone, and now the times and tides were shifting back in the other direction. That was normal and expected. He didn't usually do much, even though he knew many mortals prayed to him on that longest night that he might bring back the sun.

As if he had anything to do with the sun. That was someone else's domain and it wasn't as if the white and grey god had much to do with it. But mortals found the solstice important, and so he existed. Or had come into being...at one point...but that wasn't worth dwelling on. It wasn't as if Lengidökk remembered that first life, or who knew how many he'd lived since then.

He yawned lazily, stretching, and paused as his eye fell on something brightly colored. Brighter than his own adornments, and part of the flesh and fur of the goddess he spied. Not one he knew personally, in this life, but that was easily fixable.

"If you pace long enough, you'll find the grass," he observed aloud.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:32 pm
Mtima started when suddenly someone called out to her. She hadn't even noticed him coming- or if she had accidentally walked up to him.. but the hole she was wearing into the ground suggested it wasn't her who had wandered up. She looked up to him, then down to her feet thoughtfully.

"Do you suppose there really is grass under there?" she asked, "It's always been so cold and snowy here.."

She couldn't remember everything of every life she had lived but the haven always seemed to be the one constant in every one of them. Snow, ice and other gods.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm
"There's always grass beneath the snow, even if you can't see it," Lengidökk replied calmly. He considered the fact that this was the Gods' Haven and that the snow was always here. "Often, it's not even about finding the grass, so much as knowing that it's there. Even if it's dry and withered, if it's given time and sunlight, it'll grow green and tall once more."

That was, after all, what the Winter Solstice was about. Not so much the long night, but the renewal of the sun afterwards, the knowledge that spring would come again as the days lengthened.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he offered after a long pause. It seemed that the goddess was upset about something, else why would she be pacing like that?  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm
She looked back at the hole she had worn into the snow. She'd mostly been packing it down more so she wasn't necessarily headed for snow unless she really stopped and tried to find it. And she still doubted it would be under there, if nothing else they were on a mountain. She didn't say anything else on the topic though, she didn't want to argue.

Then he asked if she wanted to talk about it and she sat down, staring at him thoughtfully for another long pause before she finally spoke.

"Do you like to leave the haven?" she asked, "Do you see much of the mortals below?"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:57 pm
Lengidökk was quiet as he considered the questions. They were simple, but in the same way as a deep pond - you never knew what you'd find when you ventured beneath the surface.

"I believe it is good to spend time away from the Haven," he answered at last. "I do not do so often, but perhaps I should consider increasing the time I spend among mortals."

It wasn't something he'd thought about in a long while. Perhaps not even in this lifetime. An oversight, and a potentially foolish one.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 pm
It was apparent in the stranger's answer that he wasn't afraid to visit with the mortals despite his admitted infrequent ventures of that sort. It was interesting but not terribly surprising or uncommon, she supposed.

"I would like to, I think," she said thoughtfully, frowning, "But I'm afraid. I can't shake the feeling they had something to do with how I died."

It wasn't a thought she had verbalized before. She had met family from her previous life, in fact, and they had been immortal like her. They hadn't told her too much about her life with them except that she hadn't stayed up here as she did now. They didn't know why she had been reborn, how she had died. Mtima'safi didn't remember either, though she had few scattered memories that suggested she was definitely not afraid of mortals. Never mind she logically had no reason to fear them.

.. Except that someone who might still be living down there had possibly caused her death.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm
The god had been about to reply when the other revealed that mortals may have had something to do with her death. That was...serious. And now he could well understand why she was so torn about going down amongst them. Lengidökk did not know this goddess at all, but he felt compelled to offer what advice he could to her.

"I cannot speak with any authority on your death, as we've only just met in this lifetime, and I do not know how far back one would have to go to find our last meeting," he began. "But if you permit this fear to continue, it will rule this lifetime, and perhaps all that come in the future. And that would be terrible not only for you, but for all those mortals who pray to you and know nothing of the person you are."

Worst of all, fear could easily turn to hatred. Lengidökk did not know if this goddess was one whose nature would come to that point quickly, but it was a risk anywhere that fear had a pawhold.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:28 pm
The mention of how long ago they might have met before got an interested stare out of Mtima, she couldn't identify him as a friend from any life she had any significant memory of.. and she was usually good at that. Before she could give it too much thought, though, he offered his advice on not letting her fear rule her life or any that followed.

"It has been very tiring, being afraid," she reflected, "And their souls are far more interesting before they depart the mortal world."

Technically, the most important part of her existence would be to monitor the gate with Death but he always seemed to have an excellent handle on it without her help. By the time they got to him, everything was usually alright. Not to mention that he was far scarier than any of the mortals, and that was something she'd always found to be true in every life she'd lived.

"My name is Mtima'safi, by the way," she introduced herself suddenly, bringing her eyes back up to his face after realizing how low they had wandered, "I am the goddess of souls."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm
The god nodded in agreement. Fear did use a great deal of energy, though that was not always a bad thing, as it could galvanize a person into action. If it didn't paralyze them first...

He was going to ask the goddess why she was so intrigued by the souls of mortals when she answered the question by way of her introduction. That explained a lot. He was also fairly certain that he hadn't met her in any recent lives, but that didn't necessarily mean anything.

"And I am Lengidökk," he replied, bowing his head in greeting, "god of the winter solstice. It is," the male added, "a pleasure to meet you."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm
"It's a pleasure to meet you, too," she said with a smile, "Thank you for your advice, Lengidökk."

Winter Solstice. That had been somewhat recently, hadn't it? Seasonal domains were fascinating, she couldn't imagine what it must be like to live only for a single season or day or time and.. then you waited until it happened again. It seemed like she had an opportunity to ask about it now but it didn't feel appropriate and, though curious, she wasn't sure she was yet distracted enough to initiate small talk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 pm
Lengidökk smiled crookedly. Those who knew him well would recognize the expression as being the one he wore most often when kissing strange lionesses. Well, he was wearing mistletoe, after all...but that was missing the point of the here and now.

"No thanks are needed for advice," he told Mtima. "It will be I who thanks you, should you choose to take it." Giving advice was meaningless if no one used it. So every time someone did as he recommended, they were doing him an honor. Of course, this did bind him to give good advice, and so not mislead those who sought him out.

This goddess hadn't come seeking him, but it went against his grain to ignore someone who could so obviously use another viewpoint. Even if she didn't take his advice, he'd at least tried to help.

"What will you do now?" he asked. He hoped she wouldn't continue trampling the snow. Yes it could take the abuse, but could Mtima stand the introspection she was forcing on herself? Or maybe she'd take her courage into her paws and visit the mortal world. He rather hoped so.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:20 pm
Lengidökk was a very interesting fellow, it made her wonder if she ought to have given the haven a better chance to impress her. She hadn't exactly been avoiding all kinds of social interaction, though she hadn't been seeking it out so much either.

"I think.. I'm going to leave the haven," she said, standing up as if she intended to do it at that very second- which wasn't much of a stretch, considering she had been pacing, clearly trying to decide if she was going to do it or give up again today.

"Before I lose my nerve again."

It was possible she would get down there and come back up shortly, but maybe not this time. Maybe this time she would get comfortable. Maybe she would look for a larger population, somewhere she could find lots of souls in one place, somewhere happy and friendly. They existed, she couldn't remember it but she didn't need to to just know it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 pm
"I think that is a fine plan," the god agreed. He didn't know if she would stay very long in the mortal world, given that she seemed truly uncomfortable with the idea, but even going for a few minutes would help her overcome her fear.

"Good luck, and may we meet again soon," Lengidökk told Mtima, bidding her farewell and heading off, deeper into the Haven.

A most interesting encounter. He would have to keep an eye out for her again in the future.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 pm
Mtima smiled, nodded and watched him go.. but she didn't linger long before disappearing completely from the haven. She didn't know where she would go exactly yet, but she would give it another try, she would stop resisting and hopefully she would overcome her fear.

Fin!  
[IC/OOC] Gods' Haven [IC/OOC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff